Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Including Laundry as a potential SP concept for us to vote for was a mistake

Comments

• happyjmehappyjme Posts: 1,741 Member
    I don't understand why people want laundry so much. I already hate dealing with it in real life and, I guess this time, if it's implemented, It would be in a stuff pack and I wouldn't have to purchase it. In the sims 3, I stopped putting any laundry items in houses because it became such a nuisance, while I have actually had sims become very wealthy from nector and cooking. Unless my sims can become wealthy from running a laundromat and I could charge sims for using the machines, I would see no use for this.
    I've actually spent less on this version of the sims than I have with previous versions because of the numerous small pack concepts. I owned just about every expansion and stuff pack in the sims three because of the variety in each one, while with this game, the packs are so specific that I actually own maybe half of them. I'm saving my money this time around.
  • BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,585 Member
    I think laundry being an already experienced thing is kind of a double edged sword. It's "safer" but it's also not new and exciting. And I think a lot of folks are willing to go with the new/different than just "safe."

Also, just cause one wins doesn't mean the other options aren't ever going to be touched again. Laundry has had a strong calling for awhile, but even if it doesn't win it can be very easily added into a future pack. And same goes with some of the other ideas, as well. Some may be even better fitted to be merged with bigger packs just cause if the idea is broad enough.

If anything, I think the ideas can provide some kind of feedback on how popular new ideas would compare to already established and high demand ideas like laundry. If Off the Grid/Canning turns out pretty high as nearly as popular as they seem to be on the forum; there is a good chance we may see it in the future, if not out on top as the winner of the poll.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited June 2017
    orkhid22 wrote: »
    actually i agree 100% with the OP and Grahams response is just party line. many people chose this because they assumed laundry was a done deal. to have to now vote it in to existence is a bait and switch. i posted about this earlier this week, or possibly last week. personally i'm not married to laundry so i'm indifferent to the gameplay object (actually voted for the canning and stuff) but i know many ppl want laundry and have petitioned it since day 1

That petition for laundry was started in September of 2016 after Graham mentioned on twitter that he would be happy to make an sp for laundry and for those who wanted it to make some noise as it was not planned thus far to be in an ep or gp. So following that lead they made a petition to show the other gurus that laundry was a popular concept even though it quickly lost it's popularity in Sims 3 as the bad outweighed the fun people expected apparently. You have to wonder if some people who did sign that did it more so to support Graham than if they really liked it - as lets face it - within days of us getting it in Sims 3 - even though every one was so excited to get it finally in a sims game - the forum became a series of complaints over it and the mess, time consumption, and everything else about it just to get a really short nice smell boost was not making the former overjoyed very happy. The high point did return a bit when we could make laundromats and it was a fun place to meet other sims - get the nice smell buff with out all the bad side of home laundry.

But no - this was so not talked about in the first two years of Sims 4 it was not even being planned in an ep or gp. The petition was just simmers making noise as Graham suggested.

That is not to say no one ever wanted it - I am sure a few might have - as it was an inquiry to Graham on twitter by someone interested on September 6, 2016 - and that was all a result of that.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• SimsLovingMama1991SimsLovingMama1991 Posts: 8 New Member
    Note: I forgot this was a stuff pack not a game pack. As a stuff pack only one of the gameplay options makes sense. Hoping for the other options maybe be implemented into future games! I also really liked the whole recycling freegan composting and off the grid ideas. It was a tough vote for sure...
  • ParaleeParalee Posts: 1,166 Member
    What annoys me about it is its an opportunity to get brand new stuff, and people are throwing it away for something we've already had, something thats boring, and something that frankly could have been included in any one of the previous expansions or the parenthood game pack. This is what happens when you give "special" people a say in anything.
    My speculations on hints for future content:
    -Cars Update
    -Spiral/Diagonal Stairs Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Romance Pack (possibly combined with Hotel Pack)
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World
  • BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    edited June 2017
    I just don't understand.
    giphy.gif

• CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    laundry was a popular concept even though it quickly lost it's popularity in Sims 3 as the bad outweighed the fun people expected apparently.

Funnily enough it was the other way around for me. When we first got laundry I was like 'Meh, why would I want that?' so I do understand why other simmers feel that way. It was only towards the end of TS3's cycle [pun] that I got the point. I started becoming more interested in low-end, real-life-struggle style gameplay because it was more challenging.

I like a lot of the ideas in the vote and things like Off the Grid also appeals to me with that low-end struggle type gameplay. Food Preserves too for the same kind of 'don't let anything go to waste' type mindset.

I understand the OP's point, that Laundry was such a popular community request that it seems unfair to put it up against other ideas that people have been less vocal about. But it is a vote, and it is open to everyone. So if the majority would prefer something else then that's the way it is.

I'm hoping the gurus see how popular all these ideas are though, and incorporate them into other packs in the future.
  • PancakesandwichPancakesandwich Posts: 2,038 Member
    I just realised another thing: If this eco-living stuffpack gets the laundry feature, but it keeps its name "eco-living stuff", then we aren't going to get any ACTUAL eco-living anymore :(
  • BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,585 Member
    I just realised another thing: If this eco-living stuffpack gets the laundry feature, but it keeps its name "eco-living stuff", then we aren't going to get any ACTUAL eco-living anymore :(

They won't keep the title. Plus, folks are going to vote on the name and most folks agree that laundry isn't eco friendly, for the most part. Clothesline and other alternatives can be.
    > @Pancakesandwich said:
    > I just realised another thing: If this eco-living stuffpack gets the laundry feature, but it keeps its name "eco-living stuff", then we aren't going to get any ACTUAL eco-living anymore :(

The objects alone (not the clothes, the clothes are cute) without laundry make me want it to be called something else. A lot of the eco friendly lifestyle furniture I see in real life is modern and chic looking. Like reclaimed woods and everything else would look good in small homes or gleaming mansions. This just looks like living in the great depression, kind of makes eco-living look like living in the great depression, and isn't the best ambassador FOR eco-living (in my generally worthless opinion). Although the objects would be fitting with an off-the-grid thing.
    -Cars Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World
  • SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    edited June 2017
    laundry was a popular concept even though it quickly lost it's popularity in Sims 3 as the bad outweighed the fun people expected apparently. You have to wonder if some people who did sign that did it more so to support Graham than if they really liked it - as lets face it - within days of us getting it in Sims 3 - even though every one was so excited to get it finally in a sims game - the forum became a series of complaints over it and the mess, time consumption, and everything else about it just to get a really short nice smell boost was not making the former overjoyed very happy. The high point did return a bit when we could make laundromats and it was a fun place to meet other sims - get the nice smell buff with out all the bad side of home laundry.

Laundromats came at the same time as laundry.
    Post edited by Simanite on

There's going to be a VOTE for the title...
  • DominicLaurenceDominicLaurence Posts: 3,398 Member
    I kinda agree with the OP, though in my opinion the problem lies more in the categorization of the concepts. It made no sense at all grouping laundry with eco-living. Do they think a SP couldn't be made just of laundry and nothing else again? Domestic technologies should have been a theme for itself, as was wedding. Now we have three eco-living options and one stand alone feature of yore. I believe we needed a vote for laundry vs eco before getting to pick the gameplay.
    ID: StGerris
    Legacy Photomode
    edited June 2017
    Simanite wrote: »
    laundry was a popular concept even though it quickly lost it's popularity in Sims 3 as the bad outweighed the fun people expected apparently. You have to wonder if some people who did sign that did it more so to support Graham than if they really liked it - as lets face it - within days of us getting it in Sims 3 - even though every one was so excited to get it finally in a sims game - the forum became a series of complaints over it and the mess, time consumption, and everything else about it just to get a really short nice smell boost was not making the former overjoyed very happy. The high point did return a bit when we could make laundromats and it was a fun place to meet other sims - get the nice smell buff with out all the bad side of home laundry.

You seriously need to STOP posting misinformation. You get an idea into your head and write big, long essays about it and then everyone reads what you're saying as fact when it's actually just things you've fabricated.

PS: Laundromats came at the same time as laundry so that's strike 1.

Laundry came in Ambitions and the Laundromat came in a stuff pack called Town Life stuff pack. It was not misinformation - it was what happened. I was there - were you?

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• PallystylePallystyle Posts: 2,415 Member

You seriously need to STOP posting misinformation. You get an idea into your head and write big, long essays about it and then everyone reads what you're saying as fact when it's actually just things you've fabricated.

Laundry came in Ambitions and the Laundromat came in a stuff pack called Town Life stuff pack. It was not misinformation - it was what happened. I was there - were you?

There was a laundromat in Ambitions, it was the Cleanesque Laundromat. :#
    My Sims 4 Creations= Click Here ;) Find me on origin at Pallystyle
    My Murkland Challenge Adventures: Click Here

edited June 2017
    Well I didn't notice them until the stuff pack came with them. It must have been in that town maybe. I was not much into that Swampy town really. I played mostly with the store towns and towns my friend Rflong made. But I noticed them in the stuff pack as it was a cute place. The bubble window and all. I used all the venues in that pack. I liked the school because it was smaller. I did play some Sunset Valley and the Supernatural town - but that was about it for the ep towns.

I just know I tried laundry in my sims houses and all they did is constantly make messes even though I had hampers in every bathroom and bedroom - they still managed to leave a trail of clothes inside and outside. I am not a person who likes clutter especially clutter that get smelly. LOL.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

In dreams - I LIVE!

• davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    fullspiral wrote: »
    How on earth is laundry an established "popular" idea? It came with 3 and I've seen a lot of people say they didn't like it, or tired of it quickly and that it adds NOTHING to the game.
    So it's not fair because it's a popular and well requested feature? Not to mention that the living off the land seems to be doing VERY well. I don't get the purpose of this thread.

MissCherie wrote: »
    I just feel like all of it will have been a huge waste of time that the gurus could have spend on something else (like fixing bugs/glitches) if laundry win.

Making it a vote did give people hope for something else/more than just laundry, if laundry win a lot of people will be happy, but a lot will be upset too, cause a lot of people voted eco-living cause they wanted eco-friendly stuff, while laundry isn't eco-friendly, but if laundry miraculously lose (which I highly doubt), a lot of people will be upset saying it's the only reason they voted for that theme.

So either way, no matter what win a lot of people will be upset, I would have prefer if they just made a laundry SP without any voting, without presenting us sweet ideas that sounds awesome, but might never see. Ideas that took time that could have been used on something else.

Either way, people probably will be upset, but how fair is that? A vote is a vote and I get what OP is saying, but a huge amount of people voted Eco for an off the grid experience and maybe even more than voted for the laundry reason. MissCherie, I agree, but hope that they put in laundry as part of a Generational type EP so that it can get the attention it deserves if it doesn't win and not an SP.

Personally, I voted for Dangerous stuff because it sounded awesome; hope SimGuruGraham keeps it in mind for the future. I also will take this chance to say that I loved World Adventures and never tired of it; although I hated having to befriend locals(instant friend potions were a huge help). I'm hoping for new locals to visit in the future.

This time around, I voted for canning. It seemed the most interesting and fun for me as I am more into harvestables than doing work/tasks. If I hadn't have picked that then it would've been off the grid as that seems a fun life style and again a bunch of gameplay. If laundry wins, still not a bummer for me although it would've been my last choice. I love the idea of the washpail and clothesline. However, I hope if laundry wins and they get to sneak some items in that they will consider a stick or poor type of basket for one of the hampers. If canning wins, then greenbeans would be nice. If off the grid wins, maybe they can throw in the poke plant. :) Can't wait to see.
  • PallystylePallystyle Posts: 2,415 Member
    Well I didn't notice them until the stuff pack came with them. It must have been in that town maybe. I was not much into that Swampy town really. I played mostly with the store towns and towns my friend Rflong made. But I noticed them in the stuff pack as it was a cute place. The bubble window and all. I used all the venues in that pack. I liked the school because it was smaller. I did play some Sunset Valley and the Supernatural town - but that was about it for the ep towns.

I have 35 worlds I play in Sims 3 soooo.

I just know I tried laundry in my sims houses and all they did is constantly make messes even though I had hampers in every bathroom and bedroom - they still managed to leave a trail of clothes inside and outside. I am not a person who likes clutter especially clutter that get smelly. LOL.

I never liked that world much either. And I didn't vote for laundry. I hate doing it in real life. But I am happy with all the other items in the pack so far, if it wins.
    My Sims 4 Creations= Click Here ;) Find me on origin at Pallystyle
    My Murkland Challenge Adventures: Click Here

edited June 2017
    Pallypoo wrote: »

I have 35 worlds I play in Sims 3 soooo.

I never liked that world much either. And I didn't vote for laundry. I hate doing it in real life. But I am happy with all the other items in the pack so far, if it wins.

Me too.

Post edited by Writin_Reg on

In dreams - I LIVE!

All I know is I'm dying for these results.
    They're toooootally going to make us wait until they finish that darn long form plan too, I can feel it.
    Just tell us and give us the details aaaafter *cry*
    -Cars Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World
    Pallypoo wrote: »

There was a laundromat in Ambitions, it was the Cleanesque Laundromat. :#

• LinzletonLinzleton Posts: 1 New Member
    > @BooBooKittie said:
    > I don't want laundry. I don't want piles on my floor that I have to get rid of. I think there are a lot of people that feel like this, that might not have been as vocal up to this point but would vote. I appreciate the survey. I voted for canning/nectar making!

Exactly! I play a lot, but I don't delve very deep into the community most of the time. I had no idea people have been requesting laundry. That sounds like an awful feature to me! One more thing to squeeze into my Sim's schedule, but for what gain? I don't play the Sims to do chores lol. I play it to avoid them! Next there will be people wanting to have to mow or vacuum or something. Sheesh.
  • DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    Hey guys, I'm just checking in to cash out my "I told you so." Don't mind me.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • phantom121294phantom121294 Posts: 151 Member

You did win in that regard.

but.....

The only bet safer than putting laundry on that poll to begin with, was telling people it was gonna win.

Because when it comes down to it....did anyone really expect any differently.
    Specs: i9-9900k, SLI 2080ti MSI SeaHawk EK X, 32g 3000hz Corsair RAM, 2TB M.2 Samsung SSD, EVGA 1600W. Custom loop done by myself with dual 560mm radiators.
    JOVa2Sn.jpg

• cameronw209cameronw209 Posts: 1,497 Member
    edited June 2017

You did win in that regard.

but.....

The only bet safer than putting laundry on that poll to begin with, was telling people it was gonna win.

Because when it comes down to it....did anyone really expect any differently.

Exactly. But, I mean, whatever keeps an ego afloat I guess.

I never voted for laundry, but I definitely had doubts about whether my vote would outwin something that I had seen people request since Sims 2 bbs days.
    Post edited by cameronw209 on