Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you think buying most of the expansions & stuff packs on Steam is worth it right now?

If you don't buy from Steam quite often or don't even use Steam, they're having a Summer Sale til July 5th. Currently, all of the Sims 3 EPs & SPs are 75% off sale with the exception of Pets & Showtime. The current price that I came up with is a little less than $100. The only downside is I would have to reinstall the base game, Generations & Unversity Life. Do you think it's worth buying right now?

Comments

• Options
    KarallyneKarallyne Posts: 362 Member
    well if the only downside for you is that you have to reinstall it, I'd say bite the bullet.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited June 2017
    It depends.

If you are trying to obtain new (to you) EP/SPs that you don't already own and don't mind staying on the Origin platform and being on Patch 1.69, Steam throws in valid Origin codes at no extra charge when you purchase that way. It's just that you have to own the Steam version of the base game (even if you never install it) in order to be able to purchase the EP/SPs and therefore get the "no extra charge" codes.

If you are trying to avoid or stay off of Origin and 1.69, then quite a few players do feel it is worth it to switch over to the Steam platform and do a total re-install that way, thus repurchasing everything they already have as part of it. There is no Patch 1.69 for Steam, you get 1.67 instead.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    clysonclyson Posts: 80 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    It depends.

If you are trying to obtain new (to you) EP/SPs that you don't already own and don't mind staying on the Origin platform and being on Patch 1.69, Steam throws in valid Origin codes at no extra charge when you purchase that way. It's just that you have to own the Steam version of the base game (even if you never install it) in order to be able to purchase the EP/SPs and therefore get the "no extra charge" codes.

If you are trying to avoid or stay off of Origin and 1.69, then quite a few players do feel it is worth it to switch over to the Steam platform and do a total re-install that way, thus repurchasing everything they already have as part of it. There is no Patch 1.69 for Steam, you get 1.67 instead.

Thank you! Regarding the 1.6.7 patch, can I still install mods & custom content such as NRaas if I do the switch to Steam?
    I reason for the switch has nothing to do with being tied down to Origin. That wouldn't be a problem for me. It's more of a cost issue. Buying all the EPs & SPs is a $380+ investment that I can't make as of now, so I'd rather pay $100 dollars right now & get the full "Sims 3 experience."

Is there anything that I'm missing from not being tied down to Origin? I don't really think so.
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    The only pack I've read about not being available on Steam iscKatybPerry Sweet Treats. It isn't available on Origin either.
  • Options
    Karritz wrote: »
    The only pack I've read about not being available on Steam iscKatybPerry Sweet Treats. It isn't available on Origin either.

I can DEFINETLY live without that SP. Thanks!
  • Options
    jordandjordand Posts: 262 Member
    @clyson, just so you know, you can buy games from the Steam sale and still install them via Origin, if you don't want to part with Origin. Like @igazor said, the only catch is you have to buy the base game from Steam in order to get EPs or SPs, so spend an extra $4.99 for the base game while the sale is going on.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    clyson wrote: »
    Thank you! Regarding the 1.6.7 patch, can I still install mods & custom content such as NRaas if I do the switch to Steam?
    Only Core Mods will notice the difference and complain, but the good news is that there are only five such mods in common usage for TS3:

NRaas ErrorTrap -- a special Steam version is available.
    NRaas UntranslatedKey (this is really for mod developers).
    CmarNYC's XCAS -- a special Steam version is available.
    Consort's 2X Weight&Fitness -- no Steam version, the game will throw a harmless error once on every startup, but just make sure you have the one for 1.67 if you use this mod.
    AwesomeMod -- I think this one detects Steam and adjusts accordingly, but I might not be remembering that right. If not, it will throw the same harmless error as Consort's.

All other mods and content are fine, if they work on 1.67 (regular) or 1.69, they will work exactly the same way on 1.67 Steam.

Not mod related, but I think there are issues getting CAW to work on Steam installs and some kind of workaround is required. Of course, not everyone uses CAW.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited June 2017
    You can get CAW (create-a-world) to work with Steam by editing the registry. Sounds scary but just make a backup of the registry beforehand. You can find guides on this by Googling it. I don't know about CAP (create-a-pattern).

*I don't play sims on Steam and anything I know is from Googling for other people. :D

I think it's totally worth it to grab a deal like this. If you don't mind Origin and you don't need to purchase all packs, just buy what you need on Steam and use the codes for Origin. Base game copy is required to purchase any additional packs on Steam but it's still a good deal. Something neat about patch 1.67 is you can bypass the launcher. This is a big deal to some people. Origin (patch.169) won't allow this anymore.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Honestly, I'm on the verge of doing this myself. Got as far as the Steam website with credit card in hand but just decided to stop and think about it some more, it's not like they are going to "run out" of copies before the current sale ends on July 5. Patch 1.69 and I have gotten to know each other really well over the past year or so and I think we've both received about as much out of the relationship as we're ever going to. Sometimes it's just time to move on. ;)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited June 2017
    Honestly, I'm on the verge of doing this myself. Got as far as the Steam website with credit card in hand but just decided to stop and think about it some more, it's not like they are going to "run out" of copies before the current sale ends on July 5. Patch 1.69 and I have gotten to know each other really well over the past year or so and I think we've both received about as much out of the relationship as we're ever going to. Sometimes it's just time to move on. ;)
    If you don't grab it now, it's not the first time Steam has hosted a sale like this for Sims 3. I'm sure it will pop up again before the next summer sale.

For me it added up to be the same price as replacing my digital collection with physical copies. So while I like Steam, I now have the whole collection sitting on a shelf including the dreaded KP stuff pack. :D Obviously this depends on the situation for the person and their own preferences.

i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    clyson wrote: »
    Only Core Mods will notice the difference and complain, but the good news is that there are only five such mods in common usage for TS3:

NRaas ErrorTrap -- a special Steam version is available.
    NRaas UntranslatedKey (this is really for mod developers).
    CmarNYC's XCAS -- a special Steam version is available.
    Consort's 2X Weight&Fitness -- no Steam version, the game will throw a harmless error once on every startup, but just make sure you have the one for 1.67 if you use this mod.
    AwesomeMod -- I think this one detects Steam and adjusts accordingly, but I might not be remembering that right. If not, it will throw the same harmless error as Consort's.

All other mods and content are fine, if they work on 1.67 (regular) or 1.69, they will work exactly the same way on 1.67 Steam.

Not mod related, but I think there are issues getting CAW to work on Steam installs and some kind of workaround is required. Of course, not everyone uses CAW.

What would the community do without you igazor? :) You're such a lifesaver when it comes to Sims 3 & 4 issues! I don't use CAW, but the information is always good for future reference.

You can get CAW (create-a-world) to work with Steam by editing the registry. Sounds scary but just make a backup of the registry beforehand. You can find guides on this by Googling it. I don't know about CAP (create-a-pattern).

*I don't play sims on Steam and anything I know is from Googling for other people. :D

I think it's totally worth it to grab a deal like this. If you don't mind Origin and you don't need to purchase all packs, just buy what you need on Steam and use the codes for Origin. Base game copy is required to purchase any additional packs on Steam but it's still a good deal. Something neat about patch 1.67 is you can bypass the launcher. This is a big deal to some people. Origin (patch.169) won't allow this anymore.

Thank you for the tips! I also think the deal is good, but what is even better is I don't have to buy the previous packs I already have! That brings down my price dramatically! I have no problem with the 1.69 patch. I never understood why a part of the community resented the patch so much. I know it's a hassle to go through Origin, but I'd rather go through the process of getting 1.67 again. However, I think going through the launcher should have been optional.
  • Options
    ShojoDaggerShojoDagger Posts: 320 Member
    edited June 2017

How to Use Create-a-World with Steam Sims 3

I found this excellent tutorial after quite a bit of googling when I wanted to install CAW. Save time with someone else's research!
    It's an easy tweak really, it just takes some basic typing+copy/pasting skills, but if you've never worked in the registry, the idea of doing so may seem daunting. Instructional links for backing up your registry are in the tutorial.

As for CAP, I had zero problems using with it SteamSims, in fact, it's pretty much an independant program & doesn't seem to need to actually connect to your sims install the way CAW does. You export your patterns as standalone .sims3pack files, drop them into your Sims3 > downloads folder & install them with the launcher.

Also, another thing with SteamSims, is that you can run the game by all by itself. No launcher, no Steam running.
    Just find the game's .exe in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\The Sims 3\Game\Bin
    There is a TS3.exe & a TS3W.exe in there, I'm not sure what the difference is, they both seem to work.
    Create a shortcut, or pin the .exe & you can start S3 from your desktop without starting up Steam or the launcher.
    The Bin folder also contains .exe files for the launcher (again there are multiple "versions" that all seem to work) if you want to start up the launcher without starting Steam.

Personally I usually just start through Steam, since the launcher adds maybe 10 seconds to start up and, with Steam on, I can use Steam's screen capture for pics showing the interfaces whenever I want, whilst still using S3's built-in screen capture to take pics without interfaces in them, which is worth seeing the launcher for 5 seconds when I start the game.
    Post edited by ShojoDagger on
    I uploaded something! (yay) My Studio
    Enjoy!