March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Proposal: New Members Shouldn't Be Allowed to Make New Discussions

Comments

• TheoriesOfHappinessTheoriesOfHappiness Posts: 1,126 Member
    edited June 2017
    @superkyle221; ah, i understand now, the miscommunication was on my part and i apologize for it. i just hope that the Gurus don't decide to delete this thread to avoid the complaints rather than deal with the issue (though, to be honest, i'm not sure if the Gurus are actually the ones who are supposed to be taking care of the break in the system).
  • MissCherieMissCherie Posts: 408 Member
    Phollie wrote: »
    Banning new threads would mean existing members would have to get over the whole "Sorry I'm posting here and it's off topic but...." which would undoubtedly increase substantially.

Well when I made my account here it was cause I had an issue, and I needed help, I used the search option, cause it's what I'll do first, but nothing did come up with the issue I had, then I realized I couldn't make a thread, so I had no choice, but to spam the forum with 30 useless posts so that I could make a thread.

I totally understand why they don't want new members to have avatars since there was abuses with that in the past, but not being able to make a threads, forces people to spam the forum until they have enough posts to make a thread. Or to post on a random thread if there's none with the issue you have, and hope someone will answer you even if you are out topic.

gCQKjq4.png
  • Kylieb191Kylieb191 Posts: 4,653 Member
    @superkyle221; ah, i understand now, the miscommunication was on my part and i apologize for it. i just hope that the Gurus don't decide to delete this thread to avoid the complaints rather than deal with the issue (though, to be honest, i'm not sure if the Gurus are actually the ones who are supposed to be taking care of the break in the system).

Vanilla Forums are behind this forum, by the looks of it so many it's best to contact them? https://vanillaforums.com/en/software/ there's a pink help? logo at the bottom left hand side of your screen :).
    Friends?: http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/Kylierose19
    Proud member of the "I own the store" club
    Zpj9msL.png
    The real me:https://twitter.com/CupidStupidLov3
    edited June 2017
    @Kylieb191; i reached out to the company in hopes of getting an answer back, but since the Gurus can control roles and what it takes to become a member, i'm going to assume they have some say in the break that has occurred.

@MissCherie; i agree entirely. i originally joined the forum to receive help on something that broke my game, but had to wait an entire week to get the points necessary to post for help, and by that point i'd already just uninstalled my game and reinstalled it starting from fresh. :/
    edited June 2017
    update: i just heard back from Vanilla, and they said the break in the system is out of their hands. the gurus are the ones who should be actively looking into it. take that how you will.
    jjagiw.png
  • tmcevoy1121tmcevoy1121 Posts: 304 Member
    I disagree. All you would do is push people away from the forums and the game. If they can't post when they need help they sure not going to want to continue buying any packs. Sure there are trolls, but that is to be expected. It happens in every game, not unique just because it is here. What most do is start moderating the forums instead of pushing people away.
    A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous. A girl should also always be a lady even when arguing
    @tmcevoy1121; just to clarify, because this was something already decided upon; this thread was started in 2014 due to NSFW trolls that were making their photos inappropriate and mass spamming threads. though i think some rules should remain (such as needing 30 posts before you can change your profile photo) i also agree that new members should be allowed to start threads.

why there are no mods on this forum is beyond me. i've never been on an official game forum that lacked moderators.
  • laazygnomelaazygnome Posts: 255 Member
    I need some feedback about the storyline I made in my game right now but I can't start a new discussion :(
  • KandyKandy Posts: 2,008 Member
    I still think a heavily monitored section of the forums w/ a couple threads where new members can post game issues would be super helpful. Like @rosemow's amazing thread, but bigger and more moderated (because, seriously, she's a super hero, and does enough already. It would be awesome if she could get some help)
  • CunninghamCunningham Posts: 1,310 Member
    I do agree with this, however if they have a problem with their game or they need to report a bug how would they so?
    'I'm Just Another Plum Faced Irishman, Am I Not?'
    "Dr Moose's daycare challenge "
    The Sims 3 - Wishlist/Top5
    oGh7KNi.gif
  • samemiesamemie Posts: 1,623 Member
    We can't, we just have to try and locate a thread made specifically for new members. I know rosemow made one for bugs and issues but the issue is that if someone genuinely IS a new member and doesn't know the forums, they may not know where to find it. Nor do many people know that the lack of being able to post a new thread is because you're a new member. I was on this site before this silly rule was brought in and used to be able to post discussions and when I suddenly couldn't one day I assumed there was a glitch and the site was broken. Took months for me to take a proper look and realise the rules has changed. And now I've realised that, the site really is glitched and broken so I still can't post despite meeting requirements. -_-

Asides from everything else, these rules don't actually stop people posting bad stuff. I'm sure it happens less but it's not a failsafe solution.
  • lovlyblovlyb Posts: 968 Member
    I dont agree with this, why should all new member be put in a collection with a someone who has been trolling. I think the moderator's do a good job and they do have where you can report spamming. This is the internet and people do that all over it, even in other places.
  • PlushisimPlushisim Posts: 97 Member
    When I first arrived on the forums I really wanted to make a new thread. The rules have helped me chill a bit. I understand why they are thete. I will get there slowly.
  • sailboatsandpearlssailboatsandpearls Posts: 23 Member
    I had a question about a bundle pack today and realized I could no longer create a new thread like I used to be able to, help!
  • Jerry4Jerry4 Posts: 32 Member
    i understand not being able to make new threads but not being able to change our avatars? i feel like that is going too far.
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,225 Member
    @jerry4,
    Jerry4 wrote: »
    i understand not being able to make new threads but not being able to change our avatars? i feel like that is going too far.

The reason why new members can't have an avatar was because a bunch of new members from 2014 wanted to post illegal and nasty pictures as their avatars. They would then get banned only for them to come back and make another account just to post those nasty pictures as their avatars again. So EA decided to not allow new members to have avatars until they become full members.
  • Jerry4Jerry4 Posts: 32 Member
    Ah i see it such a shame that because a few people everyone else had to be negatively affected by it but i understand.
    Jerry4 wrote: »
    Ah i see it such a shame that because a few people everyone else had to be negatively affected by it but i understand.

So true. When it happened, I think no one including the older members couldn't change their avatars until they could figure out a system to put in place. I remember when members saw those pictures, they all said that they wished that there was some way to erase the images from our mind as we kept seeing them even after the threads were locked and deleted and the avatars removed from the members avatars to be replaced with the red box that the moderators will put up in place of the avatar letting other members know that the person was banned from the site.
  • BurrningEmberrBurrningEmberr Posts: 9 New Member
    i also dont like not being able to change our avatars because having the same one as everyone else feels generic and in a way our avatars says a lot about an individual
  • samemiesamemie Posts: 1,623 Member
    Yeah having an avatar would be nice but I 100% understand why we can't. What I don't understand is why they have this silly points system instead of doing what literally every other site does and use a time system, like member privileges are unlocked after a week for example.
    samemie wrote: »
    Yeah having an avatar would be nice but I 100% understand why we can't. What I don't understand is why they have this silly points system instead of doing what literally every other site does and use a time system, like member privileges are unlocked after a week for example.

The moderators probably didn't want to do that because then would be spammers would need to wait a week before being able to start spamming their non-Sims sites and such. One of the reasons why they took away the New Discussions button from the New Members was due to last years spambots taking over the forums spamming an adult Korean site. The moderators then put in place a time limit between starting new discussions due to the spambots posting new threads anywhere from 10-30 threads within a few seconds. The time limit would only let New Members post 1 thread and then they had to wait 10 minutes before creating a new thread. But that too really didn't stop the spammers from spamming their adult site, so the moderators took away the new discussion button for all New Members until they become a full member. The moderators feel that the New Members should be able to earn their right to be a full member if they are real serious about becoming one. This system flushes out would be trolls and spammers. Some of the spammers had accounts as far back as the old The Sims 3 website days (2009-2014) that was being used to spam Korean and/or adult sites with. So you see with having a New Member wait a week before being able to post wouldn't work on this site.
  • SimplyobsessedSimplyobsessed Posts: 315 Member
    I don't see why people who have paid their money for the game should be denied privileges on the forum just because they are new, it is punishing everyone the actions of a few and that just isn't fair
  • JagwithtudeJagwithtude Posts: 1,452 Member
    I don't see why people who have paid their money for the game should be denied privileges on the forum just because they are new, it is punishing everyone the actions of a few and that just isn't fair

This is a very old thread, at the time it was first written, the forum was having spam bot attacks all of the time and people were posting NSFW photos as their avis, so the moderators decided to put some rules in place, that new members had to post so many times and have so many points in order to start their own discussions and post avis. Being fair has nothing to do with it.
    "If you could read my mind, I'm pretty sure you'd be traumatized for life"

Join us on Discord for help with MC Command Center @ Discord https://discord.gg/TKp3GqE
    The latest version of MCCC 3.9.6 go to https://www.patreon.com/posts/mc-command-3-9-6-15332977

Rrkznuy.jpg?4

• Vici0us_VirusVici0us_Virus Posts: 3,076 Member
    edited July 2017

I don't see why people who have paid thier money for the game should Have to put up with spam and trolls, on a well moderated forum just because 20 new members don't wanna go through the same thing we went trough to become members... It's getting treated eqaully and good security that keeps this place fair!

;)
  • VenusABatsonVenusABatson Posts: 929 Member
    edited July 2017
    I see no reason for this. What is this supposed to prevent. I see no good reason for this and a very RUDE idea and I've been playing for 15 years. 8 years on this site :o
    ORIGIN ID: VenusARussell
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top