Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 on 4k/5k iMac

Comments

• illustratedhappinessillustratedhappiness Posts: 263 Member
    Great input in this thread, thanks!

What do you guys think about the specs on the new iMacs announced on Monday? I mean, the iMac Pro is on another level .. Which I am not on currently! But on the other hand;

These are the specs on the lower-tiered iMac:
    2.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor
    Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
    8GB 2133MHz memory, configurable to 16GB
    1TB hard drive1
    Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640
    Two Thunderbolt 3 ports
    1920-by-1080 sRGB display

Will it be able to put up the fight of ultra-settings?

My first priority for buying an iMac is to use it for studies of course, but it would be a nice tidbit to know whether or not my Sims experience would get an upgrade as well :smile:

@Lunder89
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    Probably. I play on an iMac and have very few problems with any Sims game (except Sims 1 and that has nothing to do with the computer but simply the fact that the game is very *um-hum* old.)
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    Great input in this thread, thanks!

What do you guys think about the specs on the new iMacs announced on Monday? I mean, the iMac Pro is on another level .. Which I am not on currently! But on the other hand;

These are the specs on the lower-tiered iMac:
    2.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor
    Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
    8GB 2133MHz memory, configurable to 16GB
    1TB hard drive1
    Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640
    Two Thunderbolt 3 ports
    1920-by-1080 sRGB display

Will it be able to put up the fight of ultra-settings?

My first priority for buying an iMac is to use it for studies of course, but it would be a nice tidbit to know whether or not my Sims experience would get an upgrade as well :smile:

@Lunder89

It STILL has integrated Intel graphics though. It will be fine, for now, but a dedicated/discrete AMD graphics card means you are future-proofing yourself for years to come. For an extra £200 you really should consider getting the next model up with the 2Gb AMD Radeon Pro 555.
    apple-signature.png
  • DarayaVahu777DarayaVahu777 Posts: 12 New Member
    > @illustratedhappiness said:
    > Great input in this thread, thanks!
    >
    > What do you guys think about the specs on the new iMacs announced on Monday? I mean, the iMac Pro is on another level .. Which I am not on currently! But on the other hand;
    >
    > These are the specs on the lower-tiered iMac:
    > 2.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor
    > Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
    > 8GB 2133MHz memory, configurable to 16GB
    > 1TB hard drive1
    > Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640
    > Two Thunderbolt 3 ports
    > 1920-by-1080 sRGB display
    >
    > Will it be able to put up the fight of ultra-settings?

> @Lunder89

No, OMG, no smallest chance for ultra-settings, It won't be fine, dual-core + integrated graphics = low setting and laptop mode. The second one with the 2Gb AMD Radeon Pro 555 will be "fine, for now" but it has insanely slow 5400 rpm hard drive, the top one with 4Gb AMD Radeon Pro 560 if you would like to keep the computer for couple years. But then the 27" is so close, and those have wayy better graphic cards, but still those aren't gaming computers, and from what I found out low chance for ultra-settings even thought those are brand new and so expesive machines.
  • zombiesuezombiesue Posts: 148 Member
    Interesting. I have a 4k monitor on my windows laptop and Origin / TS4 has some UI scaling problems that are very irritating.
  • Anita281Anita281 Posts: 14 New Member
    hi all! would a 5k 27" imac would run sims 4? here are its specs:
    3.4GHz quad‑core Intel Core i5 (Turbo Boost up to 3.8GHz)
    8GB (two 4GB) of 2400MHz DDR4
    storage: 256 SSD
    Radeon Pro 570 with 4GB of VRAM

thank you!!
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    @Anita281 You should be very careful running The Sims 4 in the native resolution of the newer 4k/5k iMacs, as it requires far more power than the iMac can provide, which may damage your iMac if you leave the game running for a very long time.

The newer iMacs will 100% run Sims 4 fine, but just downscale the resolution in-game to something smaller, around 1080p, or 1440p.
    @Sk8rblaze So what you're saying, i should buy a older imac? like the 2013 or the 2012?
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    Anita281 wrote: »
    @Sk8rblaze So what you're saying, i should buy a older imac? like the 2013 or the 2012?

@Anita281 Oh no, you can definitely get the latest iMac model! Just be sure when you're in the game, go to the settings and make the resolution lower so your iMac doesn't strain itself trying to run the game at such a massive resolution.
    @Anita281 @Sk8rblaze

I really wouldn't worry about the higher resolution and demands on your Mac damaging it. MacOS is very proficient at throttling power when needed to stop it damaging any components. If the game starts to lag (a possible sign of throttling) then just lower the graphics options in game. It's not like you're playing on a laptop, on a nice warm bed which can cause damage in the long run. The AMD GPU is more than capable of running the 5k resolution and the 240w power supply is fine.
    apple-signature.png
  • beabea707beabea707 Posts: 5 New Member
    Hi, I recently bought an:
    -iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
    -Processor 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5
    -Memory 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
    -1TB fusion drive
    -AMD Radeon R9 M380 2048 MB

Will it be able to run Sims 4? And in what settings?
    I would recommend adding more RAM as 8GB may slow the game down and having at least 32BGB would be good. I recommend going to Other World Computing as they sell RAM fairly inexpensively. I have late 2012 model and I run in High settings for most things. While you may think Ultra is awesome, High looks just as good.
    [quote="Tremayne4260;c-15863880"]I would recommend adding more RAM as 8GB may slow the game down and having at least 32BGB would be good. I recommend going to Other World Computing as they sell RAM fairly inexpensively. I have late 2012 model and I run in High settings for most things. While you may think Ultra is awesome, High looks just as good.[/quote]
    Do you think 24gb of RAM would be enough to play normally? I don't really want super high settings, I just want to be able to play the game in medium or higher settings without the game going unresponsive. The game stopped responding and I lost gameplay. I just don't want that to happen again.
    Don't see why not. :)
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited June 2017
    zombiesue wrote: »
    Interesting. I have a 4k monitor on my windows laptop and Origin / TS4 has some UI scaling problems that are very irritating.

on PC the game is not designed to run in 4k. You will have problems. Try playing in windowed mode if you choose to play in 4k.

BTW this is the Mac section not PC. The game runs differently on Mac
    Sorry for all the questions, since I just bought the iMac do you think it would be better and return it to buy the newest one? Here's the specs:
    3.4GHz quad-core 7th-generation Intel Core i5 processor
    Turbo Boost up to 3.8GHz
    8GB 2400MHz memory, configurable up to 32GB
    1TB Fusion Drive1
    Radeon Pro 570 with 4GB video memory
    Two Thunderbolt 3 ports
    Retina 5K 5120-by-2880 P3 display

I would still be buying more RAM, but that apart would the graphics card be better quality then the one used on the Late-"15 iMac model?
    beabea707 wrote: »
    ... would the graphics card be better quality then the one used on the Late-"15 iMac model?

Depends what configuration the iMac is.

apple-signature.png
    would the 4k imac work with sims 4?
    This is the specs for the one I just bought:
    -iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
    -Processor 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5
    -Memory 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
    -1TB fusion drive
    -AMD Radeon R9 M380 2048 MB

This is the specs for the other one:
    3.4GHz quad-core 7th-generation Intel Core i5 processor
    Turbo Boost up to 3.8GHz
    8GB 2400MHz memory, configurable up to 32GB
    1TB Fusion Drive1
    Radeon Pro 570 with 4GB video memory
    Two Thunderbolt 3 ports
    Retina 5K 5120-by-2880 P3 display

I would still be buying an additional 16gb RAM for either one. Which one would you guys recommend for the long run? The only difference between these, pricewise, is $100. Please any response between today and tomorrow would be helpful. I only have until the 1st to return the one I just bought.
    I'd go for the 2nd one. Why? Because of the quad core. I have an iMac with quad core and it runs Sims 3 & 4 like a dream.
    @beabea707

Both Macs have quad core i5 processors but the newer one obviously has new generation CPUs which will provide much better performance. The crucial thing with the second, newer one is the AMD graphics card. It is newer technology than the AMD Radeon R9 M380 and also has 4Gb VRAM as opposed to 2Gb VRAM. It's a no brainer - go for the second one. To make it even more powerful you could opt for the top end 27" and upgrade the CPU to the i7 which supports hyper threading :)
    apple-signature.png
    @BluebellFlora thanks for the advice. I wish I could just upgrade to the top end 27" but it's way above my budget. I just ended up going for the second one and ordering an additional 16gb of RAM. Wonder what settings highest settings I'll be able to play without lag or possibility of crashing?
    beabea707 wrote: »
    @BluebellFlora thanks for the advice. I wish I could just upgrade to the top end 27" but it's way above my budget. I just ended up going for the second one and ordering an additional 16gb of RAM. Wonder what settings highest settings I'll be able to play without lag or possibility of crashing?

You should be able to play on high because you have a 4Gb VRAM graphics card. If the game lags then lower your settings although you shouldn't need to. Bear in mind that having a lot of CC can slow your game down, especially CC with a high poly count.
    apple-signature.png
    so what @beabea707 2nd imac suggested, will it work for sims 4? and on what settings will it be able to run on?
    hey again! i was wondering, would this 4k imac work for sims 4? here are its specs:

3.4GHz quad-core 7th-generation Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.8GHz
    8GB 2400MHz DDR4
    256GB SSD
    Radeon Pro 560 with 4GB video memory