Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

can you live on your "retail" lot if you open up shop?

2...Next

Comments

• GalemalikGalemalik Posts: 1 New Member
    Can you have a business at your own lot just like sims 2?
  • alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    Galemalik wrote: »
    Can you have a business at your own lot just like sims 2?

No.. Your business must be on a separate lot. However, you can make that business lot your home and pay bills via phone.
  • daddyssessadolldaddyssessadoll Posts: 1 New Member
    You guys do know that you can click on the door and "lock for" and then do everyone but household and then customers can't get in.
  • triGtriG Posts: 15 New Member
    I placed my home lot on a 20 x 15 area and then decided to just stay at my retail lot.
  • Digital_LudditeDigital_Luddite Posts: 1 New Member
    You might consider creating a club for everyone living there and then use a club door to keep customers out of the living residence.
  • ShadowmarkedShadowmarked Posts: 1,054 Member
    I build a home above my shops and have my sims live there. I don't give my sims any other jobs to keep them on the lot. Also if you put a mailbox on the lot you can pay your bills from your shop.
  • SimTresaSimTresa Posts: 3,210 Member
    Tried doing it that way with a family that owns a bakery. Unfortunately, one of the adults was a townie with an ambitious trait and got really tense. So she has a job, which she can work from home. I'm definitely going to just have them live above the bakery after reading this thread. It will simplify things. They haven't had a chance to open up this week with the toddlers needing attention, so they're losing money.
    The famiy with the vet clinic lets their employee run it alone most days, and since getting it started used up most of their money, one of them has a job. I'm thinking a family of 4 doesn't need as much space as a family of 8 though, so may have them just live at the clinic.
    image.png
  • kurdanevakurdaneva Posts: 128 Member
    This is something that I miss SO MUCH from sims 2, I loved being able to have a 'in home' business. Like having an 'apartment' above a bakery and such. It was so much fun. To do so in 4, I basically buy the smallest lot that's completely barren then move my sim over to the actual lot where the business is being built. My latest game had a couple (with children) living on the same lot as their clinic. This was the (starter) set up.

tumblr_inline_ozyhm0a0Mi1ueo9io_500.png

tumblr_inline_ozyhm7UfQY1ueo9io_500.png

When the children came along, I simply extended the area a bit and added on a bedroom. It was very small but it worked since it was only two children that were usually at school and when home were helping in the clinic.

(BTW, that clinic was built by Trstmeimaliar (origin ID) if you like the lay out)
  • shezoeshezoe Posts: 67 Member
    what do you mean you can't lock the doors? i build apartments on every retail lot and am able to lock the door to everyone but household/sim owner. i only have businesses in willow creek though. is this something that happens in particular neighborhoods?
    Ky1BXMP.jpg
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    shezoe wrote: »
    what do you mean you can't lock the doors? i build apartments on every retail lot and am able to lock the door to everyone but household/sim owner. i only have businesses in willow creek though. is this something that happens in particular neighborhoods?

Some comments, and this thread in general, were created before door locking was added to the game. All doors can be locked now in any world.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
    I had several sims live on their retail lot, either in a dedicated apartment, top floor or basement, or a separate building. It works fine, but it's easy to forget living a regular life, lol. And, I did this only with single sims, a young couple or a mature couple. I think it might be too much plunder even with kids (and pets?) running about. Depending on what business you run of course.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • wormstache999wormstache999 Posts: 477 Member
    I had several sims live on their retail lot, either in a dedicated apartment, top floor or basement, or a separate building. It works fine, but it's easy to forget living a regular life, lol. And, I did this only with single sims, a young couple or a mature couple. I think it might be too much plunder even with kids (and pets?) running about. Depending on what business you run of course.

It can be a bit of a hassle.
    I've only tried it with two YA siblings and two cats living on a vet clinic lot. When they go to school/work and are done they automatically go to your actual home lot, so you have to remember to click the "Bring Sim here" option everytime. And if all your Sims are at work/school and the first one comes back home then you'll be redirected to your home lot.
    Another thing I find annoying is the handling of the finances. Like I need some money in my vet clinic account to buy/build stuff on the vet lot, but I also need some money on my household account to start paintings, cook food etc. It's confusing and annoying.

So all in all I do like the concept of living on your lot, but once again another Sims game handled it better (I'm talking about TS2 here where you could just create a business on your home lot).
  • RummourRummour Posts: 28 Member
    I really don't understand why EA never considered making this an actual feature in the first place. There are soooo many people who live above or next to their business. It's really annoying to not be able to do this in the game. And it's not even that big of a hassle to make.
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    LittleMsSam has a mod that allows your Sims to live on the same lot as your business. I am going to try it next week. Feedback on it is favorable.
  • LeiaLeia Posts: 61 Member
    LittleMsSam's mod doesn't include Retail business, sadly.
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Her mod includes businesses such as a cafe, a nightclub, a daycare, a gym, and a pet care center. I apologize for not stating which businesses are included in this mod.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Can you buy a retail lot and live on it.. use it effectively as a second home without ever opening up the store?
    I understand you probably can't go to work or school from it or have a baby there but wondering. I usually play young adult sims and hoping I can own two lots this way. I never owned one for long only set up restaurants and stores to work on their own.
    Oh also for the simmers in the know out there can we have club gatherings on a "closed" retail lot?
    egTcBMc.png
  • mlnov39mlnov39 Posts: 2,294 Member
    I read this and immediately tried it. My family brought a restaurant and they "lived" over the restaurant.
    Their cousin was living at home and working at her job. I stopped playing her and was only playing the restaurant lot.
    It was going well, until the waiter and waitress stopped working. The waitress was fired for sleeping on a bench while all the customers were waiting to be served.