Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What don't you like about toddlers?

124...Next

Comments

• GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    I hate that they don't have a ton load more toys and activities!
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• yagwityagwit Posts: 118 Member
    IRL I don't like all the repeating. I find that very overwhelming. That takes A LOT of home training to diminish. ISL I don't like the phases. There is no difference between a 2 year old and a 4 year old. They both act like 2 year olds. I made my little one (4) as a toddler sim. She said, "I don't use a potty chair. I don't like a high chair. I don't crawl up the stairs. I'm a big girl." I up'd my sim toddler to child, but sim little one goes to school and skips key learning moments most preschoolers need.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I wish toddlers weren't so easy.
    Once the toddlers have learned enough of the movement skill and potty skill, they don't really need adults providing you have a fridge with leftovers. Try a 7 toddler challenge in the sims 2, 3 and 4 and it's apparent how easy toddlers in 4 are.
    I wished they could crawl. Seeing a toddler jump out a cradle and start walking is a tiny bit unrealistic and also crawling is cute!

They are brilliant toddlers I will give EA credit but they are the easiest. Toddlers are hard work in the sims 2 and 3 but so are real life toddlers.

I wish toddlers in 4 could go to community lots and I know in a household you are playing you can take toddlers out but what I mean is you don't see toddlers out and about with their families in the neighbourhood. I love that in the sims 3.

• JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    "Why I hate toddlers in The Sims 4"? Because they make me realize toddlers in Sims 3 are meh.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • ANNETTE1951ANNETTE1951 Posts: 520 Member
    Brody9962 wrote: »
    Dreamie209 wrote: »
    Brody9962 wrote: »
    I'll mention my thoughts,
    -Toddlers are the way to high maintenance for me, you have to teach them and train them., and its just way too much work for me. With toddlers, I don't have much time to enjoy the game as it sits
    -They are completely immune to death? That's not realistic at all...if a house catches on fire and your real toddler gets caught in it, they don't survive but the Sims toddlers do. So this means my toddlers in the game are even impervious to fire/
    -potty training is annoying....
    -I hated toddlers in 2 & 3 (Never played 1), and I surely didn't want them in 4...are they easier to deal with? Sure...but I much prefer Teenagers and above and tolerate child age, My babies & toddlers age up instantly so I can skip this age...I hate it so much.

As a rl mom of two toddlers....I'd be pretty darn heartbroken seeing a two year old burned in a fire....imo. And since in a lot of occasions, my kids sometimes play the game with me...I can't imagine how I could explain that.

But overall even though I don't agree with them, I respect your thoughts regardless, so continue.
    I am one of those players who actually enjoy the death of the sims, In fact, I bought spa day strictly for a death. I am a RL mom of 3 children myself, ages 10-14. So believe me, I know how heart breaking that stuff CAN be, though, I look at it as just a game, and that's how I explain it to my kids. That it is just a game. Then agian, I do some crazy stuff with my sims that my kids can't even play my version of sims,. so I have back up account for them to play on a different computer. I would be interested in hearing yours? What is it you don't like about them, if any, or if not, what is it you wish they included in them or hope to see in the future

Wow, you are scaring me! I am totally freaked out. I have to pass on this one.
  • ANNETTE1951ANNETTE1951 Posts: 520 Member
    plopppo2 wrote: »
    They don't fight enough - not enough toddler fists flying towards toddler faces;

They don't kick their potties over when angry;

They don't fetch their potty to show their parents what they did;

They are not cunning - they don't sneakily do things, like change channels on the TV/stereo with the remote control;

Toddlers simply don't have mischief - they can be naughty, but they lack mischief - they lack cunning mischief;

A toddler playing in a toilet cannot be pushed into the toilet by another toddler;

A toddler on a potty cannot be pushed off by another toddler;

Toddlers can't suddenly decide "Why use the potty, when I can just use the floor?"

Toddlers don't appear to attempt to climb things - toddlers should be like little chimps;

NO DAYCARE CAREER ADDED WITH TODDLERS - THIS DEVASTATED THE SIMMING WORLD!

I could go on for hours.
    Oh my gosh, the daycare career, I forgot about it, I really wanted that back again, is all hope lost for that>
  • wallisdjwallisdj Posts: 18 Member
    Everything! It was "a wonderful world" when the baby just grew up into a child. Thank God there are mods to instantly give a toddler the max skills so I can leave it to do whatever its little heart wants to.

One of the problems with Sims 4 is the requirement to micromanage each Sim. It is bad enough in real life to find the time to eat, use the toilet, and sleep than to worry about such things in Sims 4. The toddler magnifies the micromanagement ten-fold. Without the mods, one spends an inordinate amount of time making the toddler "happy" at the sacrifice of the other Sims education, skill-building, et al.
  • Brody9962Brody9962 Posts: 272 Member
    It is a relief to know I am not the only one who doesn't like them at all. Too much work for me!
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    They try my patience when they have a angry meltdown and won't stop or listen.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
    edited June 2017
    Also, To those who expressed concerns over the title of the article, I have taken your feedback into consideration. It is no longer being called "Why I hate the toddlers" But instead "Why I dislike the toddlers in The Sims 4" and it was mentioned in the article that you have people who love them, people who are indifferent to them, and then the people with the same mindset as me. I will be sure to link the article when it is done so you can see this for yourself, but felt the need to go ahead and reveal that I have taken feedback into consideration and while yet the article discusses my personal dislike for them, it does mention the side that loves toddlers even if mentioned briefly. I, in no way, intended on making anyone feel like their opinion did not matter when only speaking on one side of the matter and that being the hatred of the toddlers. I just always often see those who discuss how much they love them, that I felt it was time for the other side to have their say..the side who doesn't really like them. I know we all have our views, and keep in mind: Just because I wrote a one-sided article does not mean your opinions are not important to myself or dvs gaming who will be publishing my article. Your opinions and thoughts are very much important to myself as well as DVS Gaming, but I could not very well write an article on why I love the toddlers when I myself do not care much for them :) Please understand this! My apologies if you felt otherwise, that your opinion did not matter when it does matter
  • SuperCoolRachaelSuperCoolRachael Posts: 392 Member
    The toddlers from TS4 are my favorite toddlers. They are actually fun. However, like with everything, I do hate some things about them, and even enjoy hating them (it's hard to explain).

1. They can't bathe themselves. Come on! They can do everything else by themselves! Then, the adult Sim always gets uncomfortable from bathing them.
    2. Please, for the love of God, sleep through the night. I hate how there's no way to get rid of this completely, even if you max out their Thinking skill (which takes forever). And if that's not bad enough that they're awake, they have to go and wake someone else up. I mean, the crying is cute, but....
    3. The beds. The energy fills up sooooo slowly. It's ridiculous. I know that some people want their toddlers to be asleep for a long time, but what's the plum point if they keep waking up from nightmares, anyway? And if they get hungry in the middle of the night, I either have to wake them up or let the little plums come close to starving before feeding them. There should be different beds that fill the Energy need at different speeds, just like for older Sims.
    4. The task queues. Dear God, the task queues. Because there are so many steps involved in feeding a toddler (in the high chair) and bathing them and potty training them, it's very easy for the adult Sims to get confused. They'll set the kid down, then go do something else--something I didn't tell them to do!--and the kid is left on the toilet, unable to go to the bathroom because their skill is still at a 1, so they get up, then I direct the adult Sim to potty train them again, and it starts all over. Don't get me started on the high chair. The Sims will just leave the kid there without feeding them. !@#$%^!
    5. Something is wrong with the "Check Toddler" interaction. Why do Toddlers like going potty so much? It's all they ever want to do! They shouldn't be autonomously going potty when their Bladder need is full!
    Thank you for your input. I know exactly what you mean, alot of people have complained about the check toddler interaction
    edited June 2017
    Once the toddlers have learned enough of the movement skill and potty skill, they don't really need adults providing you have a fridge with leftovers. Try a 7 toddler challenge in the sims 2, 3 and 4 and it's apparent how easy toddlers in 4 are.
    I wished they could crawl. Seeing a toddler jump out a cradle and start walking is a tiny bit unrealistic and also crawling is cute!

They are brilliant toddlers I will give EA credit but they are the easiest. Toddlers are hard work in the sims 2 and 3 but so are real life toddlers.

I wish toddlers in 4 could go to community lots and I know in a household you are playing you can take toddlers out but what I mean is you don't see toddlers out and about with their families in the neighbourhood. I love that in the sims 3.

Of course they are the easiest. The Sims 4 overall is the easiest version in the franchise. Everything has been watered down, and made easy for the most part. Not bashing the game, just stating what I've seen. :D But with that being said, I'm still finding it a bit hard to meet all the goals set in the Not So Berry challenge. lol

But these toddlers are the best done yet. I think the least ones I like are Sims 3 toddlers. These little buggers are just so fun to play with. I honestly can't get enough of them!
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member

Of course they are the easiest. The Sims 4 overall is the easiest version in the franchise. Everything has been watered down, and made easy for the most part. Not bashing the game, just stating what I've seen. :D But with that being said, I'm still finding it a bit hard to meet all the goals set in the Not So Berry challenge. lol

But these toddlers are the best done yet. I think the least ones I like are Sims 3 toddlers. These little buggers are just so fun to play with. I honestly can't get enough of them!

I totally agree with the easiest version. I don't always like to say it in case it offends people. I love sims 4 toddlers but I still really enjoy my sims 2 and 3 toddlers.

Now if only other age groups could have been as fleshed out as toddlers....
  • fadingaudiofadingaudio Posts: 933 Member
    I don't have many complaints with the toddlers more just annoying things like it takes forever for them to go to the bathroom. While realistic it eats up hours of time which is where it becomes less realistic. Trust me a toddler is not waiting 3+ hours to pee even if they hate being on the potty. I think the high chair is useless because it takes too long for them to eat in it. I think toddlers should be able to use the lego building thing in parenthood and its weird they can't. My son was building houses and castles with legos when he was 3. It is completely an age appropriate activity. I think toddlers need more hair, clothing, and objects to use. Though I could say the same for kids too. So I guess it just goes along with that. For the most part I do like toddlers tho.

I totally agree with the easiest version. I don't always like to say it in case it offends people. I love sims 4 toddlers but I still really enjoy my sims 2 and 3 toddlers.

Now if only other age groups could have been as fleshed out as toddlers....

Yes, that is true. I may not like the toddlers in Sims 3 the most, but I still enjoy them. I think was is the draw back for me is how going from Sims 2 to Sims 3, you miss those little things that those toddlers where able to do, like sleep in the pet bed, eat out of the pet bowl, splash around in the toilet. They had a field day playing and eating snow, and in the sand as well. Then that little wiggle water toy thingy (I know I have the name all wrong), they would get wet with it along with the bigger kids.

How two toddlers could "fight" over a bottle, and then huggle it out after. And not to forget being bathed in the tub. Those are the things I can recall off the top of my head. But at least with NRaas it made it possible to make toddlers in Sims 3 huggle again. *so cute* But yeah, I still enjoy playing with them, because they do have their perks!
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

I don't have many complaints with the toddlers more just annoying things like it takes forever for them to go to the bathroom. While realistic it eats up hours of time which is where it becomes less realistic. Trust me a toddler is not waiting 3+ hours to pee even if they hate being on the potty. I think the high chair is useless because it takes too long for them to eat in it. I think toddlers should be able to use the lego building thing in parenthood and its weird they can't. My son was building houses and castles with legos when he was 3. It is completely an age appropriate activity. I think toddlers need more hair, clothing, and objects to use. Though I could say the same for kids too. So I guess it just goes along with that. For the most part I do like toddlers tho.

I have to agree. Potty time in all three games drag on for a really long time. IRL teaching toddlers to go potty is like possibly 15 minutes. OR at least it was for me! :D I do play with slower time speed, so it doesn't eat up too many hours, it takes around one sim hour for my toddlers to go potty. But it should be much, much shorter.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• cjosecjose Posts: 265 Member
    I adore the toddlers. THe only complaints I have are 1) THE BEDS DO NOT GIVE ENOUGH ENERGY, MAKING THEM EXTREMELY DIFFICULT TO PLAY
    2) the toddler foods should be more filling.

But honestly, if they just gave us more options for higher levels of energy in the beds, like they do with adult beds, then you'd have time to feed them more often so it wouldn't be an issue. Just please, please, give us the option to buy higher level beds for the toddlers.

Otherwise, I absolutely LOVE them and they are so well fleshed out! I just have so much difficulty playing them because they are so difficult to take care of because they can't sleep decently at all.
  • MRSMEADOWBROOKMRSMEADOWBROOK Posts: 59 Member
    This is going to sound really creepy, but it works for my gameplay.

I play a lot of households. The toddlers are annoying to play in households where there are working parents. I am now referring to families with working parents. I max out the toddler skills as soon as possible (sometimes I cheat to do that). I usually hire a butler or nanny so that the toddlers stay 'green' during the working day. I don't understand why if you send a completely 'green' toddler to 'daycare', he returns mostly 'red', in real-life one would fire that daycare center. I design the toddlers' rooms with a door or gate so that the room can be locked. I lock the toddlers in their rooms sometimes (allow access to butler or nanny) when the parents are sleeping, or really busy on another floor. ('Get to know' the butler first before you keep him, some have 'hates children' and/or 'evil' quality.) Everything the toddler(s) need(s) is in the room (big stuffed animal for 'social needs' especially if it is a single toddler). I don't use the highchair, I give them regular food (for example, fruit- or garden salad for big hunger; muffins, bagels or breadsticks for little hunger). If a parent has not achieved the 'master chef aspiration', I sometimes cheat to give it to them (the food doesn't spoil). I place these meals on a table in their room. I drag empty plates into the 'nano trashcan' and make money for the sim with it. I make sure the toddlers exercise ('dance', 'run around').

If you place a living- or dining chair at least one tile back from the dining table, the toddlers will sit there to eat and be able to chat with the others at the table. Make sure all seats at the table can be accessed. The highchair is a nuisance.

Most annoying is if you send everyone in the household to the dining room table for a meal, an autonomous toddler will grab his plate and start climbing three sets of stairs to go to the location where a parent last was before you sent that parent to dine (they sometimes pass each other on the way). This blows the concept of socializing at the dinner table together and is time-consuming. It's bad if the toddler (or parent, or other family member) is hungry, tired, and has 'social' need. The 'pick up' and 'put down here' doesn't always work.

For some families, I skip the toddler phase altogether. I create their child with genetics in CAS. In others, I sometimes create a genetic twin toddler. This way, the toddlers always have someone to talk to and they can become BFFs easily as children.

I make sure the toddlers have 'good friend' status with parents and siblings. I have adults in the household 'tuck in' the sleeping toddler whenever possible. This helps with 'social'.

Playing toddlers with a non-working parent (or other adult) in the household is different. It's easier, can be enjoyable, but can also be annoying none-the-less.
  • SimsophoniqueSimsophonique Posts: 1,410 Member
    edited February 2018
    The fact Tessie (she is a vampire as her daddy) only eat mashed apple and her poor parents are totally clueless to make her eating something else. She plays with food or she throws down her bowl.
    I don't know what to do either her parents. They are angry with her but she continues aww kids !!
    :'(

and the fact she is always awake on nights she cries because she does nightmares a lot.
    Follow and read Miss V Detective (ts3 story)
    on wordpress: thesimsophonique.wp.com / on dreamwidth: simsophonique.dreamwidth.org
    Follow me on tumblr (sims only)
    simsophonique.tumblr.com (please no triggers I am autistic asperger)
  • EA_LeelooEA_Leeloo Posts: 2,019 EA Staff (retired)
    Closing thread as it was necro'd.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top