Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Should I install The Sims 2 on my Windows 7 laptop or my Windows 8.1 desktop PC?

PurpleNightOwlPurpleNightOwl Posts: 205 Member
I know the obvious answer is probably my desktop, but apparently it's very hard to install The Sims 2 on Windows 8, and the best way to do it is by getting the ultimate collection. I have The Sims 3 and 4 installed on my PC, both run fine.
My laptop is quite old now, nearly five years. It has 750GB on the HDD, but 4GB on the memory? Also, it has a Intel HD Graphics Family card.
Which do you think is more suited for The Sims 2? I'm worried it won't install on my Windows 8.1 desktop, but then again my laptop is old and I'm worried installing all The Sims 2 expansion and stuff packs will finish it off.

Comments

• Options
    Scribal_GoddessScribal_Goddess Posts: 748 Member
    The problem isn't always Windows 8, the problem when I tried to install it on a window 8 machine was the discs. The launcher file type for University refused to run on Windows 8 due to compatibility issues. (I had university on 2 discs, it was that old.)

Sims 2 still runs great on my archive machine that runs Windows Vista, but the graphics are not as good.

If you have a disc, it's worth trying to get the UC, because the EA reps will still give it to you if you have the registration code, since they know the game isn't forwards compatible with a lot of popular operating systems as it was originally sold.

No matter which you install, I recommend extending your game's life and minimizing load time by removing Securom.
    Patron Goddess of Newbs and Ninnyhammers.
    TS2 Graphics Fix Tutorial]
  • Options
    dorcsyfuldorcsyful Posts: 851 Member
    4 GB RAM is enough in my experience (I have the UC on a Windows 8.1). I don't know about the Intel HD though. For me, it worked relatively fine, before I realized it's not using the nvidia card.
    But I agree with @Scribal_Goddess , it's worth getting the UC, even if you have everything on disc. Installing everything one-by-one like that would probably take up more time than customer support :D
  • Options
    JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    I agree with everyone here. Get the UC. If you go disk you will have to patch every EP manually, plus the launcher can give you issues. If you didn't want to contact EA, laptop is the safest choice, but you will still have to patch by hand. I have a link to the patches, but on phone right now on lunch break. I can post it later if you want it.
  • Options
    PurpleNightOwlPurpleNightOwl Posts: 205 Member
    edited June 2017
    So from what I've heard so far is that I should get the ultimate collection, not install the discs. But the question now is which computer to install it on?
    Edit: Actually, after reading the comments again it seems that Windows 8.1 desktop PC is the best option. My laptop is old, has much less space, and has lower specs.
  • Options
    Scribal_GoddessScribal_Goddess Posts: 748 Member
    So from what I've heard so far is that I should get the ultimate collection, not install the discs. But the question now is which computer to install it on?
    Edit: Actually, after reading the comments again it seems that Windows 8.1 desktop PC is the best option. My laptop is old, has much less space, and has lower specs.

No matter which you will probably have to run the Graphics Rules Maker, but I promise it's painless and takes 15 minutes at most.
    Patron Goddess of Newbs and Ninnyhammers.
    TS2 Graphics Fix Tutorial]
  • Options
    JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member

Ya UC is best. If you get it I would say desktop. More powerful. Unless you travel a lot and want to play on the go. Ultimately it is up to you, UC will run on both. You will need graphics rules, but that is easy to do.