Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 2 vs Sims 4

Comments

• SkobeeSkobee Posts: 2,864 Member
    When I want to play the Sims, my mind always goes to Sims 2 first. That's just what happens automatically and I think it's because I played it since I was a kid. I really like the Sims 4 aswell, the sims look great and building is fun, however the gameplay in Sims 2 is just.. different and something I enjoy more. If someone asked me that I could only play on Sim game for the rest of my life I would say i'd rather play Sims 2.
    Origin ID - RosyAngelina
  • JanoJano Posts: 100 Member
    Me too. I never had the first sims so sims 2 was the first game I played. It sort of feels like going home and has so much to offer. 2 seems to have given you a bit of history to the neighbourhoods and I love the mystery of Bella Goth and the Tricou family. My laptop couldn't cope with sims 3 so I only played it briefly.
  • SataiDelennnSataiDelennn Posts: 1,265 Member
    You know, I'm sorry, but I really have to wonder how good a game can truly be when just about every month, at the top of the page I see, "It's patch day for Sims 4!" and people are supposed to be excited about that? Why not test and retest the game BEFORE releasing it to be sure it's in full working order so patches aren't needed FREQUENTLY down the road?
  • SataiDelennnSataiDelennn Posts: 1,265 Member
    @Rflong7: I don't expect them to find everything. But I remember when games were sold and MAYBE once a year, once every few years a patch might come out to fix a bug. Why? Because more than that wasn't necessary because the developers didn't rush a game to completion. They took the time to go through as much as possible for as long as it took because quality meant something. Not these days, though. Now it's "RUSH IT! We've got a deadline to meet! Who cares if the game has lots of bugs? We'll roll out patches for it later!"
  • KrayzieStrykerKrayzieStryker Posts: 2,646 Member
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    @Rflong7: I don't expect them to find everything. But I remember when games were sold and MAYBE once a year, once every few years a patch might come out to fix a bug. Why? Because more than that wasn't necessary because the developers didn't rush a game to completion. They took the time to go through as much as possible for as long as it took because quality meant something. Not these days, though. Now it's "RUSH IT! We've got a deadline to meet! Who cares if the game has lots of bugs? We'll roll out patches for it later!"

The Sims 2 came out with several Bugs, the biggest was the Jump bug- which didn't get patched until University was released, iirc. Nearly 6 months. So, yeah- it happens and No, it's not all like that. They've Always had deadlines and all games have bugs- from the first to the last. Nothing has changed, really.

That is true, its good that S4 is getting patched frenquently but also bad for those are using mods they need to update more often. The thing is this time it does feels to me more like this game really was meant to be a online game and thats why it seems the engine is really lacking in many creative tools such as Town Editor ect. and why can't i even edit the terrain its really restricted in that aspect. Thats why i do believe that this was originally planned but got stopped after the Sim City fiasco. They just kept the live updates that is necessary for online games because that was already planned beforehand, but this dosen't mean thats a bad thing.
  • M13VulpeculaM13Vulpecula Posts: 19,715 Member
    I only have the CAS Demo of 4, but judging by reading about the features and such I think Sims 2 is superior to 4. Maxis got the core of 2 right, and a solid base is the start of a great home.
    Banner.png
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited February 2017
    I'm a lurker here (I created this topic in september 2014 so I get notifications when you guys post in it), but I'd like to point out that needing fixes as such doesn't make a bad game per se for me. Lord knows Sims 3 needed many fixes and quite a few things are still borked and will always be. I still love what does work though and I live with the flaws ;)

I still think Sims 2 had something very basic right by the way: the sims and the way they reacted to each other, and the whole memory and personality system. Ever since toddlers in TS4 I have a feeling they have started to realize how essential that is to this game. I hope they'll add more of that to the game in the future, instead of yet another item a sim can interact with.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • JanoJano Posts: 100 Member
    What I really wish they hadn't taken out of sims 4 and I believe 3 is the genetic system, it felt far more advanced and realistic in 2. it made perfect sense that a black haired gene would be more dominant than a blonde. one of my blue eyed sims had a green eyed baby with a brown eyed sim, I thought it must be a glitch but then I realised the grandfather had green eyes, I imagined them going for a paternity test. In sims 4 one child would take the mothers colouring and the next would take the fathers. Also I liked the attraction lightening bolts, I had a legacy sim who I was planning to put with Malcolm Langraab but she had 3 bolts with the boy next door so it made the game go in a new direction. I miss the memories as well and being able to put them in a photo album. Doubt these could be added to sims 4.
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    You know, I'm sorry, but I really have to wonder how good a game can truly be when just about every month, at the top of the page I see, "It's patch day for Sims 4!" and people are supposed to be excited about that? Why not test and retest the game BEFORE releasing it to be sure it's in full working order so patches aren't needed FREQUENTLY down the road?

Sims 4 being patched so regularly is one of the reasons I even bought it. I hated having a known glitch and having to wait until the next EP or SP was about to be released for the bug to get fixed because it was discovered too late for the major patch for the EP or SP (yes, sometimes SP's need patching - Family Fun Stuff did have a glitch where if you used the clothes in CAS, they would be removed permanently, one time use clothes).

With patches coming every 2 weeks, it's typically a shorter time between bug discovery and bug fixed. Fixes aren't rushed to meet the deadline for the patch as 2 more weeks is typically more acceptable deadline extension than 6 months is. Especially if it's a game breaking bug.

Patches are also smaller in size which is great for players with limited bandwidth each month.

Not every bug can be found before launch. Yes, sometimes obvious bugs get by, but very rarely do obvious game breaking bugs make it through to the launched game. And the ones that do are typically related to the next reason below: hardware/software conflicts.

Some bugs are caused by hardware or software conflicts. And no company can or should be expected to have thousands of test computers with random hardware and software configurations. The most they can do is test on common hardware with common basic software configurations.

Here's a case in point:

I had two computers with Windows 7 on them. 1 of them I had absolutely no issues installing and patching Sims 2 and it's EP's and SP's. On the other, for the first few patches, I had to install them in safe mode. That computer had some hardware or software conflict that my other computer didn't have.

Yes, frequent patches do mean modders have to be quicker at updating their mods for them to stay relevant and have their mods used and players have to be careful about making sure they've only got mods that work with the patch their on when the game gets patched.

To me, the pros of frequent patching outweigh the cons of frequent patching.
  • HeyHeyyHeyHeyy Posts: 465 Member
    edited April 2017
    I really wish the sims 4 had the amount of space sims 2 had. I loved starting a world completely from scratch & also, the lots were so much bigger if you wanted them to be.

I hav to add:: I made an art museum once in the sims 2 with open for business, that I loved. I just started remodeling the art museum in oasis springs, & the lot is so much smaller than my sims 2 one. I'm sure there are certain lots that are bigger, but still. eh. oh well.
    Post edited by HeyHeyy on
    GALLERY: jdm14_xx
    LIKE my page on FACEBOOK. @jm.violetsims14

<3
  • BessiebooBessieboo Posts: 199 Member
    I enjoy sims 4 and think its is a good game in its own right but it doesn't feel like a true predecessor to the sims 2 or even 3. I know its not a complete game yet but not having create a world for me is a big downside. Sims 2 has so much going for it and the expansions always added so much to the game. You could interact with almost everything, you had hidden lots, awesome career rewards, the memory system, being able to have photos in an album, the list goes on. These are some of the reasons why sims 2 is my favourite game.
  • AthenaOnyxAthenaOnyx Posts: 3,921 Member
    edited June 2017
    All I really know about sims4 is from watching Lets Plays. I'd say that s4 is better for making LPs because the animations are smoother and the sims are more "alive" in 4 than any other iteration. I was watching Deligracy on YT and she was actually creating dialogue for the sims as they talked to each other and while of course their lips weren't moving to her words it did seem like a computer animated cartoon rather than just pixel people doing random things. I've never seen an LP for 2, but I doubt it would be as much fun to watch, and LPs for 3 are a bit robotic because the sims tend to go to default pose between animations.

I used to think that I didn't understand why people would rather play 4 than 3 but now I realize that if I was more into watching my sims interact with each other I would prefer 4 too.

I like 3 best because I tend to like to manage entire neighborhoods. I usually have a scenario in which sims are completing for positions. Like I have a grand mage and every full moon he has a party in which he tries to make heirs for his position and then later on those heirs will complete to be grand mage. Three is the best for playing that way.

Sims 2 had recessive genes and the weirdo in me would really like to see that make come back.

2 - lay houses out however you like, like choose what size lot goes where
    4 - Neighborhoods are gorgeous, albeit stylized :disappointed:

Post edited by AthenaOnyx on
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I don't want to let play the game, I want to play.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    I still enjoy Sims 2 more than Sims 4 because the Sims AI in 2 is much more to my liking, and Sims 2 still has the better and more functional retail, restaurant, and home business systems.

I also feel I have more control over the Sims and their world in Sims 2 as well.

I still miss my time-frozen lots, too...
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • tiamiatiamia Posts: 63 Member
    I didn't play TS2 first, I played The Sims games in reverse order, so TS4 was my first Sims game. However after going back and playing TS2 and then being forced to go back to TS4 (because The Sims 2 is funny with Windows 10), I've come to find that while The Sims 4 is considerably lacking in content compared to The Sims 2, they share a LOT of similarities. I just wish that in TS4 we could design neighborhoods of our own, and have a TS4 bodyshop, and have vehicles and whatnot. In terms of graphics and playability ( at least for me, right now) TS4 is winning. In terms of gameplay and content TS2 has TS4 beat. :)
    tumblr_n3rku5LZwi1r7y61oo1_500.gif
  • dorcsyfuldorcsyful Posts: 851 Member
    I still miss my time-frozen lots, too...

I think that for me, this is one of the very few things that TS4 did better. It just feels like cheating, like you can spend days away from home but when you come back it's still 8 AM and you're not late from work. I like that I can assign some basic thing to do while my sim is away (and I'm saying this as I don't have TS4 installed anymore).
    My absolute favourite will always be 3, but since it suddenly started lagging for no reason whatsoever, I went back to Sims 2. And one thing I noticed immediately was the backstories. I mean, what kind of backstory do we have in 4? The description. That's it. Compare that with 2's memory system. Even if we don't count the basic "learned to walk" stuff, there's still a memory album (or whatever it's called in English), which really shows what happened. This is really important for me, as these things are really important for me. Sure 4 has some kind of memory system too, but it's so hidden and it feels like they just put it there so you can't say that the game doesn't have a memories. (and then I didn't even mention the fact that the sims forgot that their loved one died 4 minutes ago if the walk into a nice room)
  • HippieinBlack12HippieinBlack12 Posts: 17 New Member
    The Sims 2 has always been, and probably always will be, my all-time favorite game in the Sims series. Gotta say, when the Sims 3 came out I was highly disappointed in the whole thing. Like, everyone always raves about the open world aspect of that game and how that was such an improvement over the Sims 2, but in my opinion it kind of ruined it for me. I started out on The Sims, and I have played every game in the series since the very first release. And I remember how mind-blowing The Sims 2 was when it first came out. The Sims Complete Collection paled in comparison to the base game release of The Sims 2. From the graphics to the overall gameplay, The Sims 2 did a complete 180 from it's predecessor in a very good way.

Now skip ahead to The Sims 3 base game release. After playing all the expansions of The Sims 2, admittedly I had become spoiled at that point, I was super psyched for The Sims 3 release, only to be completely let down. Sure, open world was a nice idea, but it was so buggy it made my game unplayable, even to this day. I found myself missing the loading screens of The Sims 2, because at least then all the objects and sims loaded completely (and correctly) on other lots. I found myself really bored of The Sims 3, even with all of the expansion packs. There wasn't the quirkiness of The Sims 2, the relationship panels sucked, the memory system was god awful and really annoying, the vacations weren't what I consider real ones (because, let's face it, doing adventures and exploring tombs and whatnot is more like being an archaeologist. I wanted the generic family vacation or honeymoon dynamic, which is why I thought they would just re-vamp Bon Voyage and make it better), the maternity leave screwed up my careers, the rabbit hole community lots were lame, and so much more. I just was really, really, really disappointed in the whole thing.

And now there's The Sims 4... I'm divided on how I feel about it. I like that EA took a step back and kind of went with the Sims 2 feel concerning lots and travel (i.e loading screens), but the lack of actual lots is meh. The disappearing sims and missing cars is a big let down. The lack of expansions since the release is disappointing. I like the design of the sims and lots. Kind of a cartoon-y look, which I love, and CAS has seen a huge improvement. Sims are a little more quirky with the emotions aspect of the game, so that's cool. I like the separate relationship panels for friendship and romance. And after the update for toddlers, gotta say, they're totally adorable compared to previous games. I like The Sims 4 okay. I can play it and log quite a few hours in, but until they release the more traditional expansions like Pets, Seasons, Vacation-esque thing, University, etc. I can't see myself not getting bored of it within a couple hours of play. But, if EA goes The Sims 2 route with expansions, I could really see The Sims 4 jumping to the top of my list.

Guess all I really want is The Sims 2 with better graphics lol
  • MarcoMaxMarcoMax Posts: 3 New Member
    The Sims 2 is clearly superior. And it wasn't as much of a crashgrab as the fourth game now is.
  • BessiebooBessieboo Posts: 199 Member
    I would probably say I preferred sims 2. I do like sims 4 but sometimes I find the emotions a bit annoying especially the angry one. I think the hidden lots had more to offer in sims 2 like the ninja and bigfoot in bon voyage, where as the hidden lots in sims 4 are just to find collectables. Also as others have said about not being able to create your own neighbourhoods. I like to be able to play large neighbourhoods in rotation but with quite a low population in sims 4 that's not really possible.
  • simlandersimlander Posts: 196 Member
    I've only owned TS2 and TS4 although I "played" 1 and 3 at a friends' house (meaning: I watched them play so maybe I don't like 1 and 3 because I didn't really get to do anything haha). It's probably also better to say now that I had EP's in TS2 but only have base game TS4.
    Sims 4 pros: Better graphics, glitches get updated, open world, CAS more open, auto-aging option, cosmetic things like seperate shoes and better clothes (nothing some cc can't fix), prettier sims.
    Sims 2 pros: ALL THE CHEATS!!! I really miss the Tombstone of L and D, creating your own neighbourhoods, choosing your lot size and placement.
    The cons would be the lack of the other's pros.

In fact I feel that in some ways TS2 had more options and actions (and more cheat options) than TS4. If I could have TS2 with auto-aging and an open world it would be perfect!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Scribal_GoddessScribal_Goddess Posts: 748 Member
    It's not such a long ago when I wrote somewhere in this forum that I just didn't enjoy The Sims 2 as much as I enjoy The Sims 4. Well, after that I got The Ultimate Collection. Oh my, The Sims 2 is the only game I've been playing since then. I had simply forgotten, what an amazing game it is! Back then, when it first came out, I loved The Sims 1 too much to really appreciate the game that took it's place. Then real life took over, and I never managed to get all the expansion packs. Now, after giving it a new try after all these years, and having the complete game, I just love it! I've been playing every Sims game from 1-4, but The Sims 2 definitely has the sims that feel most like humans. They are amazing. I actually get really attached to them.
    It's not such a long ago when I wrote somewhere in this forum that I just didn't enjoy The Sims 2 as much as I enjoy The Sims 4. Well, after that I got The Ultimate Collection. Oh my, The Sims 2 is the only game I've been playing since then. I had simply forgotten, what an amazing game it is! Back then, when it first came out, I loved The Sims 1 too much to really appreciate the game that took it's place. Then real life took over, and I never managed to get all the expansion packs. Now, after giving it a new try after all these years, and having the complete game, I just love it! I've been playing every Sims game from 1-4, but The Sims 2 definitely has the sims that feel most like humans. They are amazing. I actually get really attached to them.

Yeah, the sims 2 didn't pick up for me until I had 3 expansion packs. (They were nightlife, University, and Bon Voyage, so there was a lot of stuff to do there...) Without nightlife the game is actually sort of meh, university adds a lot of stuff even if you don't use it, and Bon Voyage makes a lot of things easier for sims just starting out because of the digging for treasure.

But the full compliment works really well for a lot of gameplay styles, so you can try a lot of different things.
    Patron Goddess of Newbs and Ninnyhammers.
    TS2 Graphics Fix Tutorial]
  • Mollypup9Mollypup9 Posts: 518 Member
    I fell head over heels for the sims with the first edition.

The sims 2, however, is my favorite. It's not perfect, but it's darn close.

I don't know how many fans remember way back when sims 2 was still in development & they were referring to it as Simville. On the forums developers gave their ideas & fans gave their feedback, knowing that of course not everything was possible. Developers took that feedbad & used to it develop the game within their capabilities & the game engine. The original vision was Simville a city type environment where your sim worked, shopped, lived, & well, played. That wasn't possible & the game was postponed a year or more due to being scrapped. I suppose a few were disappointed, but most fans fell in love with what developers were able to give us. Like I said, it wasn't perfect. I know I missed not seeing a superstar EP return in Sims 2 as I'd had quite a bit of fun with it.

Sims 3 I tried hard to like but I just really never could get into it. Sims 2 had spoiled me. Rabbit holes? How could I accept such when my sims used to go shopping for their food and on real dates ect? The open world created more problems & frankly I never felt it was worth it. I played sims 3 very casually, but I still played sims 2 daily.

Sims 4 I'd hoped without the open world would be more like sims 2. Unfortunately other than the no open world, it's not. I didn't need developers to put in over exaggerated emotions that flip in an instant & evidently influence everything around them. My sims prior HAD emotions and I certainly didn't need to be told what they were feeling. While there aren't rabbit holes (thank goodness), the ability to build your neighborhoods the way you please is still missing. The game decides lot size and you can't custom place them. Actually you can't customize much of anything in sims 4 and sims 3 wasn't much better (as far as textures ect)/. This has been quite a blow for a fan who's been playing sims 2 for 13 yrs fully customized the way I want it to be with things I created myself (as well as things created by others) From what I've seen.........I've stopped playing but keep an eye on EPs and other packs.........the quality we lost after sims 2 still isn't there as far as add on content. It's improved, but not when it's been 3 yrs.

I've tried to fall in love with sims 4. I just can't get past those over zealous ridiculous emotions to manage it. There is also the broken relationship system & the neighborhood culling. Mods exist but one shouldn't have to mod for something like that.

I wish developers would sit down and actually PLAY sims 1 & 2 before even starting to develop sims 5. Truly go "back to your roots" and rediscover the magic that made the game a world sensation. Then? Take the best from each of the versions (because even sims 4 has some really good things) and set about making sims 5.

My sims live lives in sims 2. They grow up, go to college (or not), get a job, date, get married, have a few kids, work, save for vacations, have pets, become grandparents, celebrate holidays together, and leave inheritances when they pass away. My towns aren't just full of homes & parks. There are detailed shopping districts with an enormous variety of shops. There is a wide variety of entertainment for the whole family.

No. I'm not just talking "base game". Sims 4 is 3 yrs out. Base game no longer applies when comparing it to previous versions.

And so, 13 yrs out, I still play my sims 2. I still love it. I even still have sims 1 on my computer. I enjoy it but it has issues on the more modern operating systems. Sims 3 & sims 4 have been uninstalled.