Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

SimLit Celebrations and Discussions

Comments

• friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    @friendsfan367 I was wondering if there were any births that were particularly meaningful for you in the Benders since you've had so many in your legacy.

This goes for anyone with a legacy or baby challenge for that matter. :)

i think its no secret i love brandon. but ayden was the most special . my problem is i lost track of wheter or not those were single birth.
    the benders have a intresting idea of how babies work. ayden had problems with elsa so lets add beau.

brandon had twins recently which is now a single birth.
  • AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    edited February 2017
    After a long absence, I'm back with another SimLit Celebration. For the record, if anyone wants to create/write/host a SimLit celebration of there own here, please don't hesitate to message me with ideas. I would appreciate/love your input and participation.

simlit-celebrations-and-discussion.png?w=474&h=451

SimLit Celebration #7: Openings/Beginnings
    In honor of my two-year WP anniversary, I wrote this post highlighting some of my favorite beginnings and favorite opening lines in SimLit stories. Plus I talked about the joys and woes of new beginnings in my own writing. One thing I'll share here that I didn't on my blog is I absolutely love the development of my character Kassiopeia. Over time, she has become like a good friend to me, and I hope you all enjoy her person and experiences (though I don't expect you to love her like I do). She was the first major character I created in TS3 and for a specific SimLit story I planned to share. Though she certainly has her flaws and some edits (thanks to my worldbuilding in retrospect), she is representative of one of my proudest moments as a writer.

I mentioned the following writers/stories in my post and I'll share that here:

This Week's Mentioned Stories:
    Simstoriesbyrachel Edith Prescott Mystery Series
    Trip/ @InfraGreen's Eight Cicadas
    LauraEliza's Zahra's Babies
    @Blythelyre's Torres Legacy
    @RipuAncestor's The Chrysanthemum Tango
    caterpillarSims' Summerdream (NSFW)
    @lovesstorms Ramsey Wishacy
    @pixelatedKar The Blount Legacy
    @Dancer-freak's Blakesley Legacy
    @Scribal_Goddess Instant Messages in a Bottle response to the Pen Pal Project here on the forums

Questions for Anyone:
    1)What do you think about your openings/beginnings to your own SimLit stories? What did you do right and where did you see need for improvement?
    2) What character(s) are you most proud of in your own SimLit?
    3) What are some of your favorite "beginnings" in the SimLit Verse? What are some of your favorite opening lines?
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • lovesstormslovesstorms Posts: 17,794 Member
    Wow! Congratulations!!! It's been quite the ride. :smiley: I'm so honored that you would mention my story. <3 Though I've not finished Generation Two yet, it's in the works. Krakens are wondrous creatures, but could one kill sims? I guess we'll find out next generation when whoever is picked will follow the mysterious trail to how Justine's parents really died. :o:o:o (I haven't written it down yet or even outlined it, but I have lots of ideas in my little 'ole head.)

And many of those stories on your list are some of my favs, too!

1) I liked them pretty well. Obviously, Justine's story is my favorite, but I love Gerald's beginning too. I am also like you, a wordy writer. It's hard for me to cut back and be precise. I want everyone to know so much. I need to learn they don't need all the information to still enjoy the story. Some things just don't matter. It's still hard, though. lol

2) I'd say Gerald. He's not my creation, technically, but he is in my head. He's my grumpy friend whom I love. When I began writing him, I saw how others could have their characters talking to them. I understood because he talked to me. lol He's like my grumpy friend who I like to torment. haha!

3) I am going to think upon this one because I am terrible at remembering these things. So, I'll ponder, look some stories up, and edit this later. :smiley:

Congrats again @AdamsEve1231! Two years is a wonderful anniversary!
    Origin ID: lovesstorms
    Seeking a Cure for PSC
    From Lifehack.org
    - 20 Things About Highly Creative People
    Simblr
    Lovesstorms's Stories
    @lovestorms Thank you so much for your reply. I am so so sorry I didn't respond before now. Somehow this message got lost in the shuffle. :( And I've been sick and trying to figure out my life (work/grad school). Still, no excuses. Over a month to reply. Please accept my apology.

I loved your answers. I hear you on the whole oversharing/too much information/details for the readers. I really want to be detailed though, and that's what's hard for me. *sigh* I feel the same way about Kass as you feel about Gerald. She's in my head and it's hard to get her out. Lol. Not that I want to... she's a great character. I like Gerald too. I need to go back and reread your story again. :)

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    1)What do you think about your openings/beginnings to your own SimLit stories? What did you do right and where did you see need for improvement?
    2) What character(s) are you most proud of in your own SimLit?ayden. i write things i know nothing about.
    3) What are some of your favorite "beginnings" in the SimLit Verse? What are some of your favorite opening lines? i know one of my favorite endingsbut not a begining. noel tries to ask lauren out she points out he doesn't have a job. then he call her a trust fund baby and points out she doesn't work either and she storms off.
    edited March 2017
    Again, another long absence. Sorry everyone. Life has been a bit chaotic for me recently. I'm thinking I will probably do SimLit celebrations and discussions on a monthly basis from now on. Of course, if someone else would like to host during a certain month, I'd be happy to set that up and work with you. PM me if you're interested or leave a comment here. There are still 9 more months this year for you to host so no pressure to do it ASAP. :)

SimLit Celebration and Discussion #8 What's On Your Reading List?

I've been updating my Simblr and my reading list on my WP. I have been wanting to do a comprehensive list for some time now. There are so many great stories out there, and so many dedicated SimLit writers. I wish I could keep up with all the stories on my reading list. I wantd to share this with you all. Here's the link to my updated and WIP reading recommendations list.

I honestly do not have enough space to tag all the writers I mentioned in my WP post here, but I will tag my current reading list.

This Month's Mentioned Stories:
    @CathyTea My Digital Life, Forgotten Art of Correspondence, and Shift
    @Dancer-freak The Blakesley Legacy
    @xJojox Fine Lines
    @MedleyMisty Emo Pistols and Moonfall
    @Simcraft81 Holiday and Sunset Valley's Most Wanted
    @AudreyFld Starting Over: Escape to Nowhere
    @Sourocha Life of the Majolentes
    @LadyLobster Fangs for the Memories or WordPress: Fangs for Memories
    @WagonFruit Line of the Last or WordPress: Line of the Last
    @Jes2G Discovering Juliana
    @AudreyFld 's Starting Over
    @sweetnightingale 's Forever in Time (and Another World - same universe)
    @cecerose0208 's Dreams and Drama
    @RipuAncestor 's Chrysanthemum Tango

Questions for Anyone:
    What are some of the SimLit works on your reading list or what are you currently reading? Why do you enjoy these stories or what do you like about the author's writing/picture design style?
    Post edited by AdamsEve1231 on

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,088 Member
    @AdamsEve1231 Oooh! Let me share with you some of my favorites from today!

I am absolutely loving @AudreyFld 's Starting Over: Escape to Nowhere, and I'll probably embarrass her with my gushing about how much I love it. If you're following or participating in The Pen Pal Project, then you know about Kaitlin, Newt, and Leroy.

There's so much to love about this story: the characters, the screenshots, the rolling for events that work into the story so gracefully, the writing (which is rich and warm and insightful and lets us get to know the characters so well), the challenges the characters face, and the goodness at the heart of most and the secrets that get in the way... It's so good that I only read a chapter or two per day so I can relish it and enjoy it. Then I spend the day thinking about the characters! :) It's such a pleasure!

I also really enjoyed @Sourocha 's Life of the Majolentes today! I came to this story slowly because I don't always take to drama, but at this point, I seriously love this story! There's some intriguing crime (I won't spoil it) and a truly fascinating portrait of guilt. In the latest chapter, the dialogue feels so real--we hear from a toddler, a boy, a husband, and his wife, and through their conversations, so much is revealed. Really nice work, Ocha! I'm hooked.

(Of course, I'm reading and loving a ton of other stories--these two are ones that especially stood out for me today. Thanks, writers! :) )
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • UmbralFlowerUmbralFlower Posts: 4,494 Member
    edited March 2017
    This is the first time I've ever seen this thread! :open_mouth:

What are some of the SimLit works on your reading list or what are you currently reading?
    I could easily just list my reading circle because the stories are amazing and I enjoy them all. Buuut I think the two that I remember the most vividly are:
    1. Fangs for the Memories by @LadyLobster
    2. Line of the Last by @WagonFruit

Why do you enjoy these stories or what do you like about the author's writing/picture design style?
    It's simple. I love the humor in both stories. They're a nice refreshing break from all the angst and drama I write.
    ~*-*-*~ My SimLit: The Echoed Fragments || A Tale of Love and Fame ~*-*-*~
  • AudreyFldAudreyFld Posts: 6,695 Member
    @CathyTea - Thank you so much for your kind words about my story. You are right, embarrassed to be called out. :blush: I am addicted to simlit and have found so many good stories to read...more than I can list here. There are so many talented writers! So below are a couple of active stories I am following.

Fine Lines by @xJojox
    Her story follows the coming of age of a 17 - almost 18 year old, very talented young woman that was thrown out on her own due to a nasty divorce - and is now attempting to follow her dreams. The relationships she makes along the way get complicated to say the least. We also get to see her romantic interests POV which gets everyone totally engaged in her story. Her screen shots illustrate the story perfectly and totally adds to the experience.

Discovering Juliana by @Jes2G
    Her story follows the life a young woman shipped to another country against her will and her struggle to learn a new language and a new culture. She was 'adopted' by a very colorful family. I have had a lot of fun learning about Juliana and the members of the sweet family that she wound up with. The screenshots give life to her characters from the skinny brooding "father" to the round jolly "mother" and of course Juliana herself.
  • Jes2GJes2G Posts: 13,032 Member
    hee hee, "colorful." I love that, @AudreyFld lol
    forum_final.png

Read Delicious Dishes & Dreams and more Stories By Jes2G!
    Origin ID: Jes2G | Forum Thread | Twitter | Tumblr
  • ThymelessThymeless Posts: 1,184 Member
    edited March 2017
    Guess who forgot to bookmark this thread? This gal right here. >.< Whoops.

What are some of the SimLit works on your reading list or what are you currently reading?
    I've got a lot to catch up on (I'm behind in quite a few stories) but here's my reading list :)

Current:
    @CathyTea 's My Digital Life
    @AudreyFld 's Starting Over
    @sweetnightingale 's Forever in Time (and Another World - same universe)

(I'm working my way through the reading group ones, so this changes pretty much daily as I catch up with them.)

To read (non-reading group - otherwise this list would be far too long)
    @cecerose0208 's Dreams and Drama
    @Jes2G 's Discovering Juliana
    @RipuAncestor 's Chrysanthemum Tango

Why do you enjoy these stories or what do you like about the author's writing/picture design style?

I love 'My Digital Life' because it just feels so floaty, if you know what I mean. Kind of there, but not there at the same time. It's very meta, but very beautiful :)

I'm not normally into proper drama things, but 'Starting Over' is addictive! I mean, because of the challenge it's based on it gets pretty unpredictable - I like when I don't know what will happen. I genuinely care about what's going to happen to this poor family!

'Forever in Time' is like one of those romance shows where everything is so heart-wrenching and intense that you just can't help but keep going with it. It's beautifully written (lots of description) and the characters worm their way into your heart before you really know it's happening.
    signature-gen-3.jpg
    Sci-fi/Fantasy Lover | Taurus
    House: Hufflepuff/Pukwudgie
    The Centauri Legacy | Can You Hear the Violins? | Drifting with Nifflers
    Reading Circles: Reader's Nook
    Thank you @Thymeless, @AudreyFld, @DreamsinPixels, and @CathyTea for sharing all the stories you have. I read some of the ones mentioned, and I think I may have found some new ones, thanks to you.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    edited October 2017

After a long hiatus, I am back. The past few months have been crazy with visiting relatives, graduate school classes, work events and projects, and baby announcements. Oh yes! I'm going to be an aunt!

Today (June 15th) is Smile Power Day! Never underestimate the power of a smile. :) In honor of today, I am sharing some of my favorite "smile" moments from my Sims stories over on my Simblr.

What are some of your favorite Sims smiles (either from your stories or from others')? Share below (and be sure to include pics or links to pics). I'm happy to share these nominations over on my Simblr also.

This Month's Mentioned Stories (June 2017):
      @Adamseve1231
    1. Sam & Ruby (From Riverview, With Love);
    2. Kass & Andi (Interludes & Solitude);
    3. Gage Briody (The Krazy Crazy Life of Kassiopeia Fullbright);
    4. Kass (Kassiopeia Fullbright and the Lost Legacy).
    5. @CathyTea Aspen and Willow (and @aroseinbloom's Sarafina Plumsin
    6. from Goofy Love Legacy
    7. @CathyTea's Guiliana from Forgotten Art
    8. @RipuAncestor's Tad from The Chrysanthemum Tango
    9. @peatock's art based on the Sims
    10. @Adamseve123's Gage Briody from From Riverview With Love
    11. @rednenemon's
      Mel
      from Racket Rotter Chronicles
    12. @RipuAncestor's Fate from The Chrysanthemum Tango
    13. @RipuAncestor's NovakfromThe Chrysanthemum Tango
    14. @CitizenErased14's Juniper from (Para) Normal Neighborhood
    15. @DreamsinPixels' Gunther Gothfrom Dusk and Dawn
    16. @friendsfan367's Lauren from The Benders
    17. @Arrowleaf's Christopher from The Landon Legacy
    18. @xJojox's Abby from Fine Lines
    19. @mastressalita's Rose from The Cat Chronicles
    20. @InfraGreen's Harwood Clay, Carmen, Benji, and Mary from Eight Cicadas and Axel from No Stars Over Uptown
    21. @orangeplumbob Derek from Second Chances
    22. @CitizenErased14's Zayne from Ashes to Ashes
    23. @rednenemon's Sinbad from Racket Rotter Chronicles
    Post edited by AdamsEve1231 on

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    edited June 2017
    Oh! Smiles! Lovely!

My favorites from my Sims:

1) Willow, at her niece's wedding, while her own life-bar was sparkling"
    wed06.png

2) Aspen, that very same niece: I had such a hard time choosing which photo--her smile is amazing in each! But I LOVE this one where she's hanging out with my SimSelf and @aroseinbloom and Sarafina Plumsin at S-GAS... She's the one in the green hat, making us all laugh!
    someone16.png

3) And what about Giuliana from Forgotten Art?
    gee-jay01.png

My favorites from other Simmers:

1) Of course, my biggest SimSquish... because we hardly ever see his smile, my heart melts when we do, @RipuAncestor 's Tad
    cpnrb9Z.jpg

2) OK... not a Sim but art based on a Sim by @peatock
    cropped-blep21.png

3) I do like Gage's smile, too, especially when he's eating a hot dog and trying not to smile... @AdamsEve1231
    screenshot-35.jpg

4) And... the smile that melts my heart and makes me always want to level-up: Mel, from @rednenemon
    screenshot-2.jpg?w=820

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • RipuAncestorRipuAncestor Posts: 2,332 Member
    edited June 2017
    @AdamsEve1231 Smiles! An awesome idea! I at some point started collecting pics of my Sims' smiles for a possible future post, but I haven't done anything about that in a while.

Well, I do love it when Tad smiles in a way that's not creepy. An example of a non-creepy smile is in the pic Cathy showed (thanks for the shout-out :blush:!). And ooh, I do have pics of two other of my Sims who don't smile much, but whose smiles are pretty gorgeous:

Fate:
    Dp4jFC2.jpg

and Novak:
    vEjRkf9.jpg

I also agree with @AdamsEve1231 that Kass and Gage have very nice smiles. Kass looks somewhat vulnerable and very genuine when she smiles, and that's so pretty! And Gage has this very naturally loud(?) happiness about his smile, which is all the more important considering he feels down pretty often (poor guy :().

And @CathyTea I was also going to mention Giuliana! Her smiles are so real and enthusiastic and gorgeous! Her eyes are simply shining when she's happy. And Mel's smile melts my heart too. :heart:

And your Boughs have their trademark grin that I love, Cathy. It's somewhat mischievous, but in a friendly way.

EDIT: Edited to word things less confusingly. :sweat_smile:
    Post edited by RipuAncestor on
    doublebannerpic.jpg?w=676
    My Sims stories:
    The Fey of Life - fairytales in life are few and far between (Forum thread HERE)
    The Chrysanthemum Tango - a story about life, death, magic, and how to be a good landlady (Forum thread HERE)
    Forget-Me-Not - some things just refuse to stay buried; an Ambrosia Challenge story (Forum thread HERE)
  • swcheppesswcheppes Posts: 3,027 Member
    I just learned this thread existed and I love the idea! I warn you I'm going to post a giant response to catch up with all the past discussions (sorry in advance). I'm on my phone so I have to wait until I have my laptop. But I had to let you know how excited I am about this thread :#
    suRdkSd.jpg
    Oh thank you @RipuAncestor and @CathyTea for sharing pictures and nominations.

I really love Tad's smile too. He makes me happy, even when he's being creepy. Lol.

I like this picture of Guiliana from her pen pal profile:
    giuliana08.png?w=776

Is @rednenemon's Mel from Part Deux or RRC, Part 1? Or something else? And Aspen and Willow are from @CathyTea, your Goofy Love Legacy right? I want to make sure I get attributions right.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    I wanted to add a few Sim Smile favorites of my own.

@CitizenErased14's Juniper from (Para) Normal Neighbor is precious, and I like her "neighbor" John.
    08-01-15_4-05c2a0pm.png
    08-01-15_4-09c2a0pm.png
    Juniper let out a bright, cheery laugh. “You’re a riot!” She said happily.
    Juniper while John is fixing her sink.

@DreamsinPixels Gunther Goth is a SimSquish of mine from Dusk to Dawn, and Guinevere has a sultry smile here.
    621.png

I love his face here as Guinevere is at the bubble bar.

41.png
    And again, both of their smiles here... Guinevere and Gunther

I love @friendsfan367's Lauren. Her subtle smile here is the best when she and Ayden start dating.
    01-07-17_4-49-34c2a0pm.png?w=1024

Another SimSquish of mine, Christopher from @Arrowleaf's Landon Legacy. He looks so handsome and confident here. And Willow is a sweetheart. My face lights up when she smiles.
    04-18-17_6-51-18c2a0pm.png?w=65604-18-17_6-30-24c2a0pm.png?w=656

And I adore Abby from @xJojox's Fine Lines. She really has a gorgeous smile.
    pic2ch100.png

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    edited June 2017
    I wanted to add a few Sim Smile favorites of my own.

@CitizenErased14's Juniper from (Para) Normal Neighbor is precious, and I like her "neighbor" John.
    08-01-15_4-05c2a0pm.png
    08-01-15_4-09c2a0pm.png
    Juniper let out a bright, cheery laugh. “You’re a riot!” She said happily.
    Juniper while John is fixing her sink.

@DreamsinPixels Gunther Goth is a SimSquish of mine from Dusk to Dawn, and Guinevere has a sultry smile here.
    621.png

I love his face here as Guinevere is at the bubble bar.

41.png
    And again, both of their smiles here... Guinevere and Gunther

I love @friendsfan367's Lauren. Her subtle smile here is the best when she and Ayden start dating.
    01-07-17_4-49-34c2a0pm.png?w=1024

Another SimSquish of mine, Christopher from @Arrowleaf's Landon Legacy. He looks so handsome and confident here. And Willow is a sweetheart. My face lights up when she smiles.
    04-18-17_6-51-18c2a0pm.png?w=65604-18-17_6-30-24c2a0pm.png?w=656

And I adore Abby from @xJojox's Fine Lines. She really has a gorgeous smile.
    pic2ch100.png

ayden dated and married elsa now he lives with christine. lauren is his mother. aydens mother. but i love the picof noel and lauren. sometimes the benders cooperate.

I really love Tad's smile too. He makes me happy, even when he's being creepy. Lol.

giuliana08.png?w=776

Is @rednenemon's Mel from Part Deux or RRC, Part 1? Or something else? And Aspen and Willow are from @CathyTea, your Goofy Love Legacy right? I want to make sure I get attributions right.

Mel is from RRC--she's also from the Pen Pal Project. Aspen and Willow are from Goofy Love.

CathyTea wrote: »

giuliana08.png?w=776

Mel is from RRC--she's also from the Pen Pal Project. Aspen and Willow are from Goofy Love.

is rrc the one i call the scariest thing i ever read?
    is rrc the one i call the scariest thing i ever read?

Yup. It's the scariest thing I ever read, too. Had to cover my eyes... *which makes reading tough :/ *

• CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member
    Thanks for the Juniper and John shoutout, @AdamsEve1231 ! I love their smiles too :heart:
    snvAF3B.png
  • mastressalitamastressalita Posts: 2,874 Member
    This is my favorite smile that came out of Cat Chronicles. Earl dropped by and was watching Rose sleep after she'd gotten back from her granddaughter's birthday party, and just had the biggest, happiest grin on his face.
    cat050-24.jpg
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    Have a Sim story site? Please submit your link to the Stories and Legacies Index!
    Check out my Simlit at Sim Stories: Hijinks from the World of Sims 3!
    My Simlit Discussion/Updates | The Fringe | Short Story Challenges