Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Seriously, why are we still having these build issues?!

Comments

• Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    Simpkin wrote: »
    There has never been a pack for builders though, has there? Would be cool. Not a stuff pack though, it's too little stuff.

No, there never has been a builders SP, sadly. I agree, an EP would be even better! Gah! It would feel like a Christmas miracle to me if that ever happened.

*sings* "I'm dreaming of a TS4 builders Christmas. Just like the ones we've never had....." lol

Sorry, I'm feeling a bit silly today. :) Anyway, Happy Simming! <3
  • SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    edited June 2017
    @Piperbird I was just being facetious, sorry if it seemed like I was not taking your concerns seriously. I'm not a builder but I'd like to see things added/fixed in build mode for all the people like you who get joy from it! Toddlers brought back my joy of playing the game (live mode), so I support you getting back the joy from your way of playing too (build mode)!
  • SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    Karababy52 wrote: »
    Simpkin wrote: »
    There has never been a pack for builders though, has there? Would be cool. Not a stuff pack though, it's too little stuff.

No, there never has been a builders SP, sadly. I agree, an EP would be even better! Gah! It would feel like a Christmas miracle to me if that ever happened.

*sings* "I'm dreaming of a TS4 builders Christmas. Just like the ones we've never had....." lol

Sorry, I'm feeling a bit silly today. :) Anyway, Happy Simming! <3

hehee. I'm not a builder at all but it's weird we've never had one that's heavily focused on building. I think there was the career in Sims 3 though where you could build houses. We should have a pack like that again but more focus on building than gameplay.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • JouvayJouvay Posts: 834 Member
    Yup, builders have been ignored for the most part. I dunno if they thought sacrificing complexity for simplicity would make building easier - it does in some respects, but it also makes it more frustrating and stifles creativity.
  • Sid1701D9Sid1701D9 Posts: 4,718 Member
    The problem that I see in this game, is the game sees roofs attacked to rooms separately, and not to the house, so if you have a roof on the first floor and only one room, the roof is going to go through the loft, because there is no floor there.
    Sid1701d-"I love my life, live my life and live to play, laugh and have fun."

"Love will Fight, Love will Win and Love will Survive."
  • PiperbirdPiperbird Posts: 4,161 Member
    Simanite wrote: »
    @Piperbird I was just being facetious, sorry if it seemed like I was not taking your concerns seriously. I'm not a builder but I'd like to see things added/fixed in build mode for all the people like you who get joy from it! Toddlers brought back my joy of playing the game (live mode), so I support you getting back the joy from your way of playing too (build mode)!

No, you're fine. And I really am happy people got toddlers. It was hurtful, though, all those months of people screaming that everyone wants them, it's the only thing that matters. And I was just like, no, not everyone wants them, there are loads of things I would like, but they just aren't as important as the people screaming for toddlers. Anything anyone else wanted was just lost. I know these things will never be fixed, why should they care about what builders want?
    Visit me in the gallery! CC-free builds under origin name Piperbird!
    06-01-15_5-18nbspPM_zps8s8jcirw.png
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited June 2017
    Nevermind, wouldn't work.

• yagwityagwit Posts: 118 Member
    :I would like to see nice garage doors. I have cc cars for garages. Some more terrain paints...how about BLACK to go with Forgotten Hollow, more rock sizes (using ctrl ] and mashing together tombstones for nice garden/waterfall areas), round roof pieces for Victorian style homes, and more short gates, to match short fences. They need ONE group dev'n build mode.
    Here is a sneak peak at my crazy loft build, tell me what you think.

https://www.thesims.com/gallery/1B2F6FB5529911E780743A4C1C746172?

edited June 2017
    OMG! You guys, I figured out how to build a two story loft with a full roof going over the entire first story and it WON'T break into the room. The roof won't fall inside the room! My jaw dropped and I just sat and stared at my screen in disbelief. I tried to take screenshots with the UI to show you, but they didn't show up. Anyway, here's what you do, it's so simple I can't believe nobody else figured it out beforehand. I put it in a spoiler because there's a lot of pics.

EDIT: OH! I neglected to say I had MOO (bb.moveobjects on) on when I did this. Not sure if that makes a difference, but it might! Sorry about that. o.O
    First, build your loft like you normally would.:

XwBsERc.png

Then, here's the magic part!! In order for rooves to go over a room without falling through, it has to be an actual room. The problem with lofts is that they are two separate rooms. You need to make both "rooms" separated by the fence into one big room. Grab a wall tool. I used the one that makes separate walls, but you could probably use the regular wall tool, or maybe even the room tool, I didn't try that. If you use the individual wall tool, don't double click when the green ball lights up, just click ONCE at the end of one "wall" and continue drawing. Start at one corner and drag a new wall right over the existing wall.

JlpmAF1.png

Draw over all the walls until you see the green outline that indicates the two rooms are now one room.

JlpmAF1.png

x8Yo6yy.png

D0gMToO.png

LfxFaT9.png

You'll end up with something like this. Don't worry about the fence disappearing, you can put it back later.

A5JFg7P.png

Next put your roof on the first story. BTW, you can put your roof on top of the second story after you make your loft. It doesn't make a difference.

1v40q3B.png

VOf0MTL.png

See how it doesn't fall inside the room? YAY!!

2zy7bkg.png

You can even pull the roof beyond the room to make a porch and it still won't fall!

qPkvgrR.png

Next we'll put the fencing back on your loft. Instinct says you'd want to start to draw the fence across the stairs here.

f4CC636.png

If you do that though, guess what happens. You'll lose your stairs and the roof will fall through.

R1l0SXw.png

g2kNnwx.png

Instead, start here, on the other side of the stairs and draw your fencing all the wall to the opposite wall.

XYP8JCK.png

0rUhfeA.png

If you want to replace part of the fencing with a wall, you can do that too.

3OQN2HT.png

LDLq4Vz.png

W0w1114.png

And there you have it! One two story loft ready to decorate and play!

8UXkQ4m.png

I'm so excited to find out if it works for all of you like it did for me. If you have any questions or something isn't very clear, let me know! :) I won't be able to answer them until later tonight though, probably around 1 a.m. est I have a lot going on today and I also need to get some sleep, I'm up way past my bedtime, but wanted to share this with everyone! :)

Happy Simming! *Hugs* <3
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    So totally bookmarking this thread. *jumps up and down squealing and clapping*
    edited June 2017
    OMG! You guys, I figured out how to build a two story loft with a full roof going over the entire first story and it WON'T break into the room. The roof won't fall inside the room! My jaw dropped and I just sat and stared at my screen in disbelief. I tried to take screenshots with the UI to show you, but they didn't show up. Anyway, here's what you do, it's so simple I can't believe nobody else figured it out beforehand. I put it in a spoiler because there's a lot of pics.

EDIT: OH! I neglected to say I had MOO (bb.moveobjects on) on when I did this. Not sure if that makes a difference, but it might! Sorry about that. o.O
    First, build your loft like you normally would.:

XwBsERc.png

Then, here's the magic part!! In order for rooves to go over a room without falling through, it has to be an actual room. The problem with lofts is that they are two separate rooms. You need to make both "rooms" separated by the fence into one big room. Grab a wall tool. I used the one that makes separate walls, but you could probably use the regular wall tool, or maybe even the room tool, I didn't try that. If you use the individual wall tool, don't double click when the green ball lights up, just click ONCE at the end of one "wall" and continue drawing. Start at one corner and drag a new wall right over the existing wall.

JlpmAF1.png

Draw over all the walls until you see the green outline that indicates the two rooms are now one room.

JlpmAF1.png

x8Yo6yy.png

D0gMToO.png

LfxFaT9.png

You'll end up with something like this. Don't worry about the fence disappearing, you can put it back later.

A5JFg7P.png

Next put your roof on the first story. BTW, you can put your roof on top of the second story after you make your loft. It doesn't make a difference.

1v40q3B.png

VOf0MTL.png

See how it doesn't fall inside the room? YAY!!

2zy7bkg.png

You can even pull the roof beyond the room to make a porch and it still won't fall!

qPkvgrR.png

Next we'll put the fencing back on your loft. Instinct says you'd want to start to draw the fence across the stairs here.

f4CC636.png

If you do that though, guess what happens. You'll lose your stairs and the roof will fall through.

R1l0SXw.png

g2kNnwx.png

Instead, start here, on the other side of the stairs and draw your fencing all the wall to the opposite wall.

XYP8JCK.png

0rUhfeA.png

If you want to replace part of the fencing with a wall, you can do that too.

3OQN2HT.png

LDLq4Vz.png

W0w1114.png

And there you have it! One two story loft ready to decorate and play!

8UXkQ4m.png

I'm so excited to find out if it works for all of you like it did for me. If you have any questions or something isn't very clear, let me know! :) I won't be able to answer them until later tonight though, probably around 1 a.m. est I have a lot going on today and I also need to get some sleep, I'm up way past my bedtime, but wanted to share this with everyone! :)

Happy Simming! *Hugs* <3

As decorative only as first floor roof will block sims from using the loft on the second floor, even if Move Objects is on and you can place it the sims would never be able to reach it, or if they did the roof would cause some sort of distortion effect.

• ReflectedLightReflectedLight Posts: 425 Member
    Detective career still doesn't work - why should build mode? It sounds harsh, but their programmers seems to be sincerely lacking in abilities. Soon I imagine we'll have to have loading screens just to use the bathroom rather than get programmers that are skilled enough to deal with issues, including ones that made them go to one loading screen per house.
    The reason why I think it is only decorative is because the first floor roof is still there, the sims will complain about X blocking their path to get up the stairs. The loft I built is functional and I wanted to see how wild I could be.

• WulfsimmerWulfsimmer Posts: 4,381 Member
    edited June 2017
    DeKay wrote: »
    Then, don't play the game anymore if you only enjoy building and it's too limiting/buggy for you.

No offense, but people like you are the ones that leave no room for improvement. What's wrong with wanting fixes? Stop the stupid 'don't like don't play' argument. You are just trying too hard at this point.
    Random-gifs-random-18723411-368-312.gif

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • PiperbirdPiperbird Posts: 4,161 Member

Happy Simming! *Hugs* <3

I am so going to try this!
    Sid1701D9 wrote: »
    The reason why I think it is only decorative is because the first floor roof is still there, the sims will complain about X blocking their path to get up the stairs. The loft I built is functional and I wanted to see how wild I could be.

I think it might work. I'm going to try it later tonight.
    Visit me in the gallery! CC-free builds under origin name Piperbird!
    06-01-15_5-18nbspPM_zps8s8jcirw.png
  • surfingrocketssurfingrockets Posts: 60 Member
    The lack of building fixes or feature expansions is the exact reason why I've never purchased anything other than the base game and also why I fill up my game with CC that does a better job at it than the actual game. Apartments was the #1 thing I wanted and they even got that wrong. At this point I've lost any hope that they will ever throw the builders a bone.
  • FKM100FKM100 Posts: 886 Member
    @Karababy52, it certainly worked, but it is not stable. As soon as I exited the game and re-entered, the previously-removed part of the floor reappeared over what was supposed to be the open area (albeit with a cut-out over the stairs). Perhaps it was actually there all along, but for some reason just temporarily invisible. I am so sorry, because I really hoped that you had hit on the solution.
  • Inna MinnitInna Minnit Posts: 2,008 Member
    I must not understand the problem. I make lofts all the time. Maybe I don't use the same roofs you do?
  • GruffmanGruffman Posts: 4,831 Member
    have never tried to make a loft type room. I think I might need to try.
  • Inna MinnitInna Minnit Posts: 2,008 Member
    15nwtnb.png

I'm not sure what the problem you're having is. I threw this together in about 5 minutes.
  • Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member
    I'm still trying to learn the basics of buildings :D
    1FKDfKj.png
    edited June 2017
    @FKM100 Aww, man, it's not stable eh? Darn it! *sigh* I'm bummed out now. I was hoping I'd found a solution. I haven't been back in my game yet to see if my loft stayed intact.

Also, @Sid1701D9 I didn't play test it either, so I don't know if Sims can actually use the loft or not. I just assumed they could, sorry about that... I was so flabbergasted and excited that it actually worked for me I quickly popped on here to show y'all my discovery.

@innaminit The issue isn't about making a loft, that's easy, like you said. The issue is trying to put a full, one piece roof across the entire first story without the roof breaking inside/falling down. Normally you can't do it because of the open area. The game doesn't recognize it as a room.

Let me know if it works for you @piperbird or if you're running into the same stuff as other Simmers are reporting. I'm getting in my game in a few too to check it out again. :)

Did you guys look at my build:), last one. I was just trying to see how crazy I could get and still make a functional house. That loft actually is functional.

• FKM100FKM100 Posts: 886 Member
    edited June 2017
    @FKM100 Aww, man, it's not stable eh? Darn it! *sigh* I'm bummed out now. I was hoping I'd found a solution. I haven't been back in my game yet to see if my loft stayed intact.

Also, @Sid1701D9 I didn't play test it either, so I don't know if Sims can actually use the loft or not. I just assumed they could, sorry about that... I was so flabbergasted and excited that it actually worked for me I quickly popped on here to show y'all my discovery.

@innaminit The issue isn't about making a loft, that's easy, like you said. The issue is trying to put a full, one piece roof across the entire first story without the roof breaking inside/falling down. Normally you can't do it because of the open area. The game doesn't recognize it as a room.

Let me know if it works for you @piperbird or if you're running into the same stuff as other Simmers are reporting. I'm getting in my game in a few too to check it out again. :)

I did playtest my build (which I made exactly like @Karababy52's). I was able to furnish it and the sims could access the upper level fine, because of the cutout over the stairs. No problem there. I did a few saves too. Still no problem. But, as I said, the moment I exited my game, wham! Floor back.

Sadly, I have come to the conclusion that there is just no way that you can build a loft with the kind of continuous gabled roof the OP wants. The only way to create such a loft would be to place the roof in separate sections next to and over the loft room, and that in turn means that the pitch of the roof has to run longways (N-S) rather than sideways (E-W), or you will have the side overhangs from the adjacent roof sections projecting into your loft room, as the OP says. These side overhangs are almost half a tile wide and are not adjustable with the eaves adjuster arrow.

Also, you cannot place a gabled roof in such a way that one gable fits snugly against the wall of an upper room, because the gable itself shows through the wall (although I suppose you could if you are not fussy and don't mind one interior wall having the same paint/wallpaper you use on your exterior). You have to leave a one tile gap between gable and wall, which means you have to have some way of roofing over the gap so that it is not noticeable. I found this out the hard way when I was making some mid-century style houses with attic rooms.

@Sid1701D9, I've been wanting to see what you did with your loft build, but for some reason I have been unable get into the Gallery. I'll look at it soon as I can get in.

@Inna Minnit, the problem is not with building a loft per se, it's about the style of the roof that the OP wants to place on the lower level. In her build, the lower level is wider than the loft room on both sides and she wants to place a continuous gabled roof across the bottom level, to cover these side portions, without the roof showing in the loft room (which is impossible). If you look at the first pictures she posted, you can see what she means. You don't have that problem with your loft, because your loft room is exactly the same size as your lower level, save for the small porch in front, which is the only ground level portion you have roofed.
    Post edited by FKM100 on