Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Seriously, why are we still having these build issues?!

Comments

• jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    DeKay wrote: »
    Then, don't play the game anymore if you only enjoy building and it's too limiting/buggy for you.

There's always room for things to be fixed though.
    The Sims 4 build system does work, but the problem is certain ways of doing something will mean it doesn't work, and then other ways they do.
  • Sim2SporeSim2Spore Posts: 284 Member
    The open-floor/roof conflict thing is something I've experienced too. It is quite annoying because it limits the building freedom for mixing more traditional style roofs with lofts. Most builders just circumvent this issue by building modern homes with flat roofs or they only put the roof on the highest floors, which is a bummer to be honest. :neutral:

Over-simplified visual aid to help illustrate the problem: 65140e9e79.jpg

I wish they'd make fences/half-walls count for making "closed" rooms, but I guess that must conflict with something if they haven't changed it after all this time.
  • mannannamannanna Posts: 466 Member
    I am following this thread with great interest. I am sorry @Piperbird , I can feel your frustration. I don't have a solution, I guess the whole problem is that the game does not always recognize the space as a room. @Sid1701D9 showed it beautifully. I have a build at the gallery with a similar problem, it is not a loft but for the life of me I could not prevent the roof to enter the room. I kind of worked around it but if anyone of you have a solution I would be forever grateful.It is the highest floor that gave me problems.
    Link to the house https://www.thesims.com/en_GB/gallery/FFDBFA3B2A8C11E783826507D17699C4?category=all&searchtype=ea_origin_id&sortby=newest&time=all&searchquery=Mannanna&max=50&maxis=false
  • MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,175 Member
    I think the only thing that may work is adding blind rooms to the side of the building and use separate parts of roofing. But it probably won't end up the way you'd like, because you're gonna lose a lot of windows, or have to reposition them and change room shapes etc.
    tumblr_orkw9xxrwc1v8k7elo1_1280.png
    tumblr_orkw9xxrwc1v8k7elo2_1280.png
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • yagwityagwit Posts: 118 Member
    I have no idea how this builder managed to keep some of her floor, but this loft is pretty neat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usbhNgMNnn4 I can't get the game to do it either.
  • jeepjeepcatjeepjeepcat Posts: 2,302 Member
    This bugs me to death too. I haven't figured out if there is a way to stop the roof clipping through when using fences and half walls. Watching this thread with interest to see if anyone has managed it.
  • PiperbirdPiperbird Posts: 4,161 Member
    Sid1701D9 wrote: »
    Here is the fix to make it look like the roof goes all the way through.

https://www.thesims.com/gallery/90C699DC517511E78D6FC9CBD14E8863?

Sorry Sid, that's still not what I mean. You built your roof around, not through. Look at my picture. Make your roof like that.
    tMSX84S.png

Visit me in the gallery! CC-free builds under origin name Piperbird!
    06-01-15_5-18nbspPM_zps8s8jcirw.png
  • YubellYubell Posts: 440 Member
    This bugs me to death because I like open areas within my house and I cannot make them, and as far as I'm concerned this bug has been in the game from the start and the developers have been aware of it but just can't be bothered to fix it. Stairs are a massive issue to adding a banister to your starts makes it so sims can walk upstairs but can't walk back downstairs, the amount of build glitches are ridiculous, they need to focus more on fixing issues within the game than coughing out new packs every week or so because the more packs developed the more glitches develop too.
  • SparklePlumleySparklePlumley Posts: 1,061 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    Here is the most recent Deligracy build that uses a loft.
    This is the speed build
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1Jpz8qAsAGw

This is the LP with house tour.
    The tour starts at 7:00
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9tdSSOZduPAg

Edit to say im not sure if this will help or not, but it was the most recent.

Her thumbnails are so tacky now. She used to be so authentic.

I know. . . .when I posted them, I was like face palm.
    You should see the one where she morphed her face with a pufferfish. It's disturbing. It creeps me out.

I have to admit tho, this build is really good.
  • Steve StormSteve Storm Posts: 106 Member
    Lofts and roofs- so frustrating. It took me forever to get the roof on this loft to look like I wanted it to. Tons of trial and error.

full

I wound up doing a walkway over the very front part of the loft which the game then treated as a closed room, and that kept the roof from peeking through.
  • Steve StormSteve Storm Posts: 106 Member
    The second option I tried was to flip the loft space, so it was two floors on the front (no porch) and the loft space was at the back (open 2 stories)
    full
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    @Steve Storm Those are some seriously gorgeous builds! Wowzer!

@Piperbird I fiddled around with a version of your build in my game and the best I could come up with was a compromise. It's not exactly what you want, but maybe it'll work? I can see why you were getting frustrated. Gah!

Here's the house with the roof you wanted going all the way across without breaking the loft, and also pulled forward for the porch roof, but...
    PKLVJXc.png

Everytime I tried to use a fence or half wall (just like you said), it made the roof fall through, so I had to use walls with these windows. They are "open" to the first floor, but it's not the same.

8yeBSj8.png

qvY4mVA.png

Tvh3elk.png

Anyway, you've got me intrigued and determined to figure this out now, if possible, probably not, o.O

I need some sleep though, so I'll check back when I get on later and see if anyone has come up with a fix for this. *crosses fingers* :)
    I'm not a full member yet. I can't add a photo. I spent the morning building my vamps house around the loft issue. I found the entire process mind-boggling. You have to create the entire room fence one side of the room, remove fence posts one at a time, HOPE, have bb.moveobjects on (Cheat command). I found myself doing the craziest temp rooms to make one loft happen.

Van Guard is in the gallery with a loft. NEVER AGAIN!
    @Karababy52 Is your house available to download?
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited June 2017
    Preach it. :) There are dozens of things I can't build in TS4 because it's literally impossible and frustrating.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • ehaught58ehaught58 Posts: 2,765 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Preach it. :) There are dozens of things I can't build in TS4 because it's literally impossible and frustrating.

DITTO!!! :'(
    fkgck4xkargo.png
    "If you build it, they will come." - Movie: Field of Dreams
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,461 Member
    I grabbed some floor plans from the Internet, cabins, some of which have lofts. I built one, but as of yet haven't played it to see how it works. I too found myself arguing with the game. But, then again I have been known to argue with a calculator and Grammatix, too. (I think I'm alone, too much. LOL) If I deleted the floor, which is required for the loft to be a loft, then there was nothing upon which to place the roof. I can't recall how I finally got my way, and like I said, I've yet to play the lot to see if it actually works. What I saw in build mode was that grid over the livingroom. I wondered if that show in play mode? Now, I'm inspired to place it and give it a try. My sixth great-grandfather built his own abodes in the 18th century. He had so many children that a loft was necessary, particularly when they removed from the Great Colony of Virginia southwest to the Watauga Settlements. That area is now east Tennessee, for some context. His last home is preserved as a State Park, Marble Springs.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • PallystylePallystyle Posts: 2,415 Member
    What I don't like is that even if you do try and work around it and piece together the roofs, when you add the roof trim it bleeds through the walls. I wish they could fix it so the game actually recognizes the wall and that the roof should not be allowed to override it.

I guess there will always be limitations in these games. :'(
    My Sims 4 Creations= Click Here ;) Find me on origin at Pallystyle
    My Murkland Challenge Adventures: Click Here

• GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,461 Member
    Hi. I've just uploaded my loft/cabin to the Gallery, if you wish to check it out. It's called Old Home Place my username is GalacticGal. It has a roof, which could use some help, admittedly. But, it has a roof. If you play it and it works, let me know. I placed it in my game, but didn't put anyone it in to check it in live mode. My bad. At any rate, it has a loft. :)
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
    edited June 2017
    Karababy52 wrote: »
    @Steve Storm Those are some seriously gorgeous builds! Wowzer!

@Piperbird I fiddled around with a version of your build in my game and the best I could come up with was a compromise. It's not exactly what you want, but maybe it'll work? I can see why you were getting frustrated. Gah!

Here's the house with the roof you wanted going all the way across without breaking the loft, and also pulled forward for the porch roof, but...
    PKLVJXc.png

Everytime I tried to use a fence or half wall (just like you said), it made the roof fall through, so I had to use walls with these windows. They are "open" to the first floor, but it's not the same.

8yeBSj8.png

qvY4mVA.png

Tvh3elk.png

Anyway, you've got me intrigued and determined to figure this out now, if possible, probably not, o.O

I need some sleep though, so I'll check back when I get on later and see if anyone has come up with a fix for this. *crosses fingers* :)

Yup. That's exactly what I had to do with some of my other builds. It works, but it's just not the same. And look what a hot mess the roof still is on this one. Edit: oops, that's not the right pic!05-12-15_8-18nbspPM_zpshexwve7t.png

Pallypoo wrote: »
    What I don't like is that even if you do try and work around it and piece together the roofs, when you add the roof trim it bleeds through the walls. I wish they could fix it so the game actually recognizes the wall and that the roof should not be allowed to override it.

I guess there will always be limitations in these games. :'(

Yup. I pieced together a roof last night - not at all the look I wanted, but hey, what can you do? But as soon as you put the trim on to hide those ugly edges, there was just a solid line around the inside of my room. I gave up and went to bed.
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    Here is the most recent Deligracy build that uses a loft.
    This is the speed build
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1Jpz8qAsAGw

This is the LP with house tour.
    The tour starts at 7:00
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9tdSSOZduPAg

Edit to say im not sure if this will help or not, but it was the most recent.

Her thumbnails are so tacky now. She used to be so authentic.

Still, the problem isn't making lofts. She made flat roofing over lofts, and that works. That isn't where the problem is.
  • loutredorloutredor Posts: 404 Member
    @Piperbird The roof coming into any room with a fence is a bug so there is no way to avoid it until they fix it. However, there is a way to place roofs around the room, with them touching the walls, as you want. I am talking about the single roofs pieces you mentionned earlier. Once you've placed them against the wall, click on the roof, and there are little arrows that allow you not to click and drag the whole roof, but only the little bit that oversteps in the room. Tell me if that wasn't clear and I will post pictures.
    loutredor wrote: »
    @Piperbird The roof coming into any room with a fence is a bug so there is no way to avoid it until they fix it. However, there is a way to place roofs around the room, with them touching the walls, as you want. I am talking about the single roofs pieces you mentionned earlier. Once you've placed them against the wall, click on the roof, and there are little arrows that allow you not to click and drag the whole roof, but only the little bit that oversteps in the room. Tell me if that wasn't clear and I will post pictures.

Yup, that's what I ended up doing. It isn't at all how I wanted it to look (the original plan looks a lot like a house I lived in), and once I added the roof trim to hide those ugly edges, you can see the roof trim on the other side of the roof piece, inside the room. There is a ring all the way around the inside of the flipping room. At that point I gave up and went to bed in complete frustration. We should not be having the same glitches we had more than two years ago.
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    yagwit wrote: »
    @Karababy52 Is your house available to download?

No, neither Willow Wedge nor the incomplete test shell I built are on the gallery for download. I could probably upload them if you want either, at least the shell. I have the save file for Willow Wedge saved on my hard drive, somewhere, but it would take some time to find it. Let me know.

I'm glad you were able to cobble together a roof for your build @Piperbird, but sad it's not what you originally intended to build. Hopefully one day TS4 builders will get some much needed tweaks for build mode. *sigh* I would dearly LOVE a builders SP too, it's way past due for something like that in my opiniion.

Anyway, I'm still having fun with what we do have, despite the frustrations and lack of terrain tools, independent foundations, etc., etc. I won't go into a laundry list of my build desires since I'm sure they've all been requested numerous times beforehand. Happy Simming Y'all! <3
  • SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    There has never been a pack for builders though, has there? Would be cool. Not a stuff pack though, it's too little stuff.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)