The latest update addressed the crashing issue that some of you have been experiencing, Click here to found out more!
November 20 - Everyone ready for the Friday Highlight? It's ready for you here.
It's Time for Another Round of SimTogether - Come Join Us! 💖 Click here to find out more!

Seriously, why are we still having these build issues?!

PiperbirdPiperbird Posts: 4,160 Member
edited June 2017 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
Every single time I get an idea for a build, I quit in frustration because they can't be done. All I wanted was a little cabin, with a lofted area for sleeping. Well, too ❤️❤️❤️❤️ bad. For one, you have to fight the game tooth and nail to make a loft in the first place, because you are not allowed to just delete the floor pieces you want, but the entire floor. So it is trial and error making walls around stairs, deleting floor areas you don't want, changing the wall to railing - nope, the floor's back now. Trying again, now I have a magical floating wall around the stairs I didn't want. Fighting some more - finally got it. Good. Put the roof on. Nope. Game doesn't consider lofted areas a closed room - roof slides right through the lofted area. PLUM! Fine. I'll try to manually place the roof spaces around my room. Nope. The roof sections will not slide up against the walls, there's a gap. Another build scrapped in frustration.

I'm sick of this. The only thing I enjoyed about this game was the building. And in more than two years, they still can't fix the simplest things. You still get backsplash on counters if part if it is against the wall. We still do not have any choice for stairs, still no ladders. You still can't make buildings on the same level different heights. They've never fixed matching colors not actually matching.

I know this will get deleted - everything I post does, but I needed to vent. In the past few weeks I've fired up the game for about 6 build ideas, all abandoned in frustration because I can't get it to work with the crazy limitations in the game.

Finally got the loft the way I wanted it. Lovely little fireplace, just enough space for a bed and maybe a chair and bookcase.
9jCEQlK.png

OK, let's put the roof on.
AIll0OE.png

Nope. I don't know what can be done.



*********************************
Edit for clarity
*********************************

I know you can put a roof on a square building with a loft in it. The problem is when you have protruding areas on the same floor as the loft, and you try to put roofing there. On the same level with the lofted space, it will break the wall if you use a half wall or fence. Please look at the examples I have provided. If I changed this to a boring square, I know I can put a roof on the top with no issues. But I would like a porch area, and I cannot place a roof on the first floor extending over these areas, because it breaks into the second floor. Have I explained it better now?
Post edited by Piperbird on
Visit me in the gallery! CC-free builds under origin name Piperbird!
06-01-15_5-18nbspPM_zps8s8jcirw.png

Comments

  • keylimepiesimskeylimepiesims Posts: 1,896 Member
    Agree with everything you mentioned 100% although I do adore build mode, it can be so frustrating at times that I pretty much scrap everything I build. :lol:
  • SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    But... toddlers.
  • PiperbirdPiperbird Posts: 4,160 Member
    Simanite wrote: »
    But... toddlers.

    Yeah. I am really happy everyone got them, but I never cared one bit for them, and have not played them even once. Literally the only enjoyable part of this game for me has been the building. Everything else is so broken I gave up playing more than a year ago. I love playing TS3 and TSM, but build mode for TS4 really blew me away. I had a great time building for a long time. But as I tried to branch out into new build ideas, I just kept hitting snags. It's like the designers didn't even talk to each other. The two roof types don't match each other, there is a round floor but not a round roof option, paint schemes for 'matching' doors and windows don't actually match, it's like the sent 20 people to different cities to design the game, and didn't let any of them talk to each other at all. Maybe it has gotten better with some of the newer packs, but I just can't bring myself to buy them.
    Visit me in the gallery! CC-free builds under origin name Piperbird!
    06-01-15_5-18nbspPM_zps8s8jcirw.png
  • SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    can you not use the wall-less floor thing that indicates a room. I dunno how to explain that thing and can't remember what it's called in the game.
    I agree with the floor thing though, about deleting it. I never really build but have been recently and the floor deleting thing happened to me.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • PiperbirdPiperbird Posts: 4,160 Member
    edited June 2017
    Simpkin wrote: »
    can you not use the wall-less floor thing that indicates a room. I dunno how to explain that thing and can't remember what it's called in the game.
    I agree with the floor thing though, about deleting it. I never really build but have been recently and the floor deleting thing happened to me.

    That's actually what I ended up doing to make the loft. But you still can't make the roof not come through if you use half walls or railings so you can look downstairs. I can make a wall and use window cutouts, and that works, but it doesn't look at all like what I wanted. I had SO many ideas for lofted libraries, bedrooms, balconies over pools in sunken sunrooms, and the game just doesn't let you. Unless you like flat rooftops. That's really the only way you can do it. Is there a mod or anything, that can force the game to recognize something as a closed room? I've never used a mod, but I am almost tempted to.
    Post edited by Piperbird on
    Visit me in the gallery! CC-free builds under origin name Piperbird!
    06-01-15_5-18nbspPM_zps8s8jcirw.png
  • ehaught58ehaught58 Posts: 2,733 Member
    @Piperbird Totally agree with you! I feel the same way. TS4 has been such a disappointment for builders. It has so many restrictions and missing tools that I feel that it really kills my creativity. Builders have been left behind.... :(
    SZVLCEa.png
    "If you build it, they will come." - Movie: Field of Dreams
  • AnduarAnduar Posts: 156 Member
    Yeah i first started building with s4, since I was told it was much easier/convenient but I ran into every snag you mentioned in my first build, lol.

    But yeah woo...toddlers, I guess.
  • Lomelindi7Lomelindi7 Posts: 1,339 Member
    In some ways I adore building in Sims 4 because it's a lot quicker and easier than previously. But then there are all these restrictions like what you've mentioned and it just drives me crazy. Like you also can't have a room on the same floor as a roof. I would love having a bedroom with a sloped ceiling because it's under the roof (I don't know if I explained that well). Lofts are also, as you mentioned, not really possible. And then there really should be ways to delete foundation from a section of the house. This game can be very frustrating at times for builders.
  • Sid1701D9Sid1701D9 Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited June 2017
    Its easier to do the loft on the ground floor and drag it up to the right place. When I did my bowling Alley with the water fountain inside, I was aggravated because it had to be on ground level, but I couldn't get a floor for the bowling alley if I had it as the same room, it deleted the fountain for the room floor I am like No!. I found a solution for the problem I created a small room where I wanted the fountain and deleted the floor, put the fount back, and did a huge room for the Bowling Alley and changed the wall facing the bowling alley to a halfway and it worked.

    Edit:

    To get the loft to work in the game make a big room on the top floor and delete the floor, now you can add the smaller room.
    Sid1701d-"I love my life, live my life and live to play, laugh and have fun."

    "Love will Fight, Love will Win and Love will Survive."
  • PiperbirdPiperbird Posts: 4,160 Member
    Sid1701D9 wrote: »
    Its easier to do the loft on the ground floor and drag it up to the right place. When I did my bowling Alley with the water fountain inside, I was aggravated because it had to be on ground level, but I couldn't get a floor for the bowling alley if I had it as the same room, it deleted the fountain for the room floor I am like No!. I found a solution for the problem I created a small room where I wanted the fountain and deleted the floor, put the fount back, and did a huge room for the Bowling Alley and changed the wall facing the bowling alley to a halfway and it worked.

    Edit:

    To get the loft to work in the game make a big room on the top floor and delete the floor, now you can add the smaller room.

    The problem isn't really making the loft, it is when you have a loft, the game does not recognize it as a closed room, and the roof breaks through the wall. There NEEDS to be a way of making the game recognize it as a closed room so we can make a roof around it normally.
    Visit me in the gallery! CC-free builds under origin name Piperbird!
    06-01-15_5-18nbspPM_zps8s8jcirw.png
  • Sid1701D9Sid1701D9 Posts: 4,718 Member
    Let, me try a loft I am kinda curious, I am one of the advanced builders.
    Sid1701d-"I love my life, live my life and live to play, laugh and have fun."

    "Love will Fight, Love will Win and Love will Survive."
  • SparklePlumleySparklePlumley Posts: 1,061 Member
    See if this will work lemme try to explain:

    Build first floor of house
    Build second story, then delete the floor, and make the loft
    Build third story then delete that floor
    Put roof on top of third story
    It will put the roof up higher so maybe it won't cut into the loft room. I know it's not technically a loft since it's not under the roof, but it might be a work around

    I haven't tested this so idk if it will even work just came up with it off the top of my head.
  • PiperbirdPiperbird Posts: 4,160 Member
    See if this will work lemme try to explain:

    Build first floor of house
    Build second story, then delete the floor, and make the loft
    Build third story then delete that floor
    Put roof on top of third story
    It will put the roof up higher so maybe it won't cut into the loft room. I know it's not technically a loft since it's not under the roof, but it might be a work around

    I haven't tested this so idk if it will even work just came up with it off the top of my head.

    I don't think it would. The moment you use a half wall or fence, the game no longer sees it as a closed room and the roof comes in. This has been a problem since day one, and one I was really hopeful would have been fixed when they released half walls, but it was not. If I change that fencing to a regular wall, the roof goes around the upstairs room normally. If you change it back to fencing, the roof comes back inside. Even if the exterior walls are closed, the came still will not recognize it as a full room. And you can't even manually place the roof in pieces around the room, because you can't pull the roof right up to the wall. It either ends just short of the wall, leaving a gap, or pulls straight inside the room. I honestly do not know how the designers thought this was fine. Did they just knock off early for a drink that day?
    Visit me in the gallery! CC-free builds under origin name Piperbird!
    06-01-15_5-18nbspPM_zps8s8jcirw.png
  • Sid1701D9Sid1701D9 Posts: 4,718 Member
    Look at the gallery under Loft Test, I think I made a loft, let me know what you think.

    Here is the link.

    https://www.thesims.com/gallery/D6928C11515D11E78431FC53C8E1ABD7?
    Sid1701d-"I love my life, live my life and live to play, laugh and have fun."

    "Love will Fight, Love will Win and Love will Survive."
  • SparklePlumleySparklePlumley Posts: 1,061 Member
    Piperbird wrote: »
    See if this will work lemme try to explain:

    Build first floor of house
    Build second story, then delete the floor, and make the loft
    Build third story then delete that floor
    Put roof on top of third story
    It will put the roof up higher so maybe it won't cut into the loft room. I know it's not technically a loft since it's not under the roof, but it might be a work around

    I haven't tested this so idk if it will even work just came up with it off the top of my head.

    I don't think it would. The moment you use a half wall or fence, the game no longer sees it as a closed room and the roof comes in. This has been a problem since day one, and one I was really hopeful would have been fixed when they released half walls, but it was not. If I change that fencing to a regular wall, the roof goes around the upstairs room normally. If you change it back to fencing, the roof comes back inside. Even if the exterior walls are closed, the came still will not recognize it as a full room. And you can't even manually place the roof in pieces around the room, because you can't pull the roof right up to the wall. It either ends just short of the wall, leaving a gap, or pulls straight inside the room. I honestly do not know how the designers thought this was fine. Did they just knock off early for a drink that day?

    Yes you are right. It wouldnt work, because of the room needing four walls and a floor to be a room. Plum. They must've had some strong plum, that day. Hope they fix it for u.

    As far as me I just want to be able to not have a foundation on all structures on the same lot. I want to build out houses and garden sheds, but i have to have a house sitting on the ground to do it. Talk about the easy way out.
  • PiperbirdPiperbird Posts: 4,160 Member
    Sid1701D9 wrote: »
    Look at the gallery under Loft Test, I think I made a loft, let me know what you think.

    Here is the link.

    https://www.thesims.com/gallery/D6928C11515D11E78431FC53C8E1ABD7?

    That's not a loft, though, that's just an upstairs room. A loft has a wall that is open to the floor below. See my picture in my first post.
    Visit me in the gallery! CC-free builds under origin name Piperbird!
    06-01-15_5-18nbspPM_zps8s8jcirw.png
  • PiperbirdPiperbird Posts: 4,160 Member
    Piperbird wrote: »
    See if this will work lemme try to explain:

    Build first floor of house
    Build second story, then delete the floor, and make the loft
    Build third story then delete that floor
    Put roof on top of third story
    It will put the roof up higher so maybe it won't cut into the loft room. I know it's not technically a loft since it's not under the roof, but it might be a work around

    I haven't tested this so idk if it will even work just came up with it off the top of my head.

    I don't think it would. The moment you use a half wall or fence, the game no longer sees it as a closed room and the roof comes in. This has been a problem since day one, and one I was really hopeful would have been fixed when they released half walls, but it was not. If I change that fencing to a regular wall, the roof goes around the upstairs room normally. If you change it back to fencing, the roof comes back inside. Even if the exterior walls are closed, the came still will not recognize it as a full room. And you can't even manually place the roof in pieces around the room, because you can't pull the roof right up to the wall. It either ends just short of the wall, leaving a gap, or pulls straight inside the room. I honestly do not know how the designers thought this was fine. Did they just knock off early for a drink that day?

    Yes you are right. It wouldnt work, because of the room needing four walls and a floor to be a room. Plum. They must've had some strong plum, that day. Hope they fix it for u.

    As far as me I just want to be able to not have a foundation on all structures on the same lot. I want to build out houses and garden sheds, but i have to have a house sitting on the ground to do it. Talk about the easy way out.

    I would love the same. I like a home on a foundation, but out buildings don't need to be. I'd also like to place things on a foundation, like appliances. I love to make sunken rooms, but again, the game does not recognize it as a floor. You cannot put appliances, fireplaces, doors or windows against them. My serious complaint with this game from the beginning has always been that it lets you do just enough to give you wonderful idea, but falls just short of allowing you to create them.
    Visit me in the gallery! CC-free builds under origin name Piperbird!
    06-01-15_5-18nbspPM_zps8s8jcirw.png
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    edited June 2017
    Deligracy has done it many times though?
  • PiperbirdPiperbird Posts: 4,160 Member
    edited June 2017
    Here are some more clear pictures of the loft/roof problem. The first pic is of a regular upstairs room. The only difference in the next two pictures is I changed the wall to a half wall and a fence. You can see the roof then comes into the room.

    Full wall:
    07-09-15_4-51nbspPM_zpsy9wou6xo.png

    Half wall:
    07-09-15_4-51nbspPM-2_zpso0ungjme.png

    Fence:
    07-09-15_4-51nbspPM-3_zpsrpsmef9p.png

    I took these pics right after the half walls came out, dismayed that they had not fixed the problem they already knew was there with the fencing. I also loved to use one of the fencing options to make the screen in front of a fire place. I could not do this on the top floor, because simply using the fencing would break the roof.
    Visit me in the gallery! CC-free builds under origin name Piperbird!
    06-01-15_5-18nbspPM_zps8s8jcirw.png
  • PiperbirdPiperbird Posts: 4,160 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    Deligracy has done it many times though?

    Pictures? How was it done?
    Visit me in the gallery! CC-free builds under origin name Piperbird!
    06-01-15_5-18nbspPM_zps8s8jcirw.png
  • Sid1701D9Sid1701D9 Posts: 4,718 Member
    I don't understand why you say its not a loft because, if you look under the roof on the first floor there is no ceiling.
    Sid1701d-"I love my life, live my life and live to play, laugh and have fun."

    "Love will Fight, Love will Win and Love will Survive."
  • PiperbirdPiperbird Posts: 4,160 Member
    Sid1701D9 wrote: »
    I don't understand why you say its not a loft because, if you look under the roof on the first floor there is no ceiling.

    A loft is when the upstairs is open to the room below. You just have stairs going to an enclosed upstairs room. Pull the upstairs room out and then remove some of that floor so you can see downstairs. Look at my pictures.
    Visit me in the gallery! CC-free builds under origin name Piperbird!
    06-01-15_5-18nbspPM_zps8s8jcirw.png
  • Sid1701D9Sid1701D9 Posts: 4,718 Member
    It is, open to the room below, because the ceiling is not there in the first room.
    Sid1701d-"I love my life, live my life and live to play, laugh and have fun."

    "Love will Fight, Love will Win and Love will Survive."
  • PiperbirdPiperbird Posts: 4,160 Member
    edited June 2017
    Sid1701D9 wrote: »
    It is, open to the room below, because the ceiling is not there in the first room.

    No, it isn't. If you were standing in that room, you could not look down into the first floor. Let me try to find some pictures to explain better.

    a7a27dd71f0ae67bc1c3dfd9f0b422c7.jpg
    c1643b48bd66d0a1d43d5949f6d969a1.jpg
    a5ee388eb0139f79799b10f1bae479ef.jpg

    See the difference? If you were upstairs, you could throw something down, you can talk to someone on the other floor, it is all open. You just have a room over a closed downstairs. I'm not talking about taking the ceiling off and putting the roof right over it, I'm talking about taking the ceiling off and putting the roof one floor up.

    In your build, standing in your upstairs room, you didn't leave it open to the big room below, you put a roof on it.
    03.jpg
    Visit me in the gallery! CC-free builds under origin name Piperbird!
    06-01-15_5-18nbspPM_zps8s8jcirw.png
  • Sid1701D9Sid1701D9 Posts: 4,718 Member
    That is an easy fix, I will fix it, really quick on my test house.
    Sid1701d-"I love my life, live my life and live to play, laugh and have fun."

    "Love will Fight, Love will Win and Love will Survive."
Sign In or Register to comment.
Return to top