March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Proposal: New Members Shouldn't Be Allowed to Make New Discussions

Comments

• CitySimmer16CitySimmer16 Posts: 331 Member
    Does the forum members have a disdain for new members though? Because for the couple of months I've been here (and sadly still stuck as a new member) I haven't witness any "Get off this thread new member" or "Your opinion doesn't matter, you're a new member" type of thing before. And if it does happen to other new members that's a real shame because like I mention the forums is having issues and there are a lot of 'new' members like me right now and shouldn't be talked down like that
    FFCOojX.gif
  • PugLove888PugLove888 Posts: 674 Member
    > @lisasc360 said:
    > @LyricSimsz15, LyricSimsz15 wrote: »
    >
    > I wonder though - Can new members currently make new discussions? I want to share my legacy challenge but i can't find the button anywhere.
    >
    > No, New Members are unable to start new discussions now due to last years spambot attacks. New members had the ability to do so until spammers/spambots went and ruined it for all New Members. So now you must wait until you get 50 points, 30 posts and an account older than 24 hours. But even if you have the requirements, there is an issue that's not allowing new members who have the requirements to be promoted to member. And I believe that this issue started last week when they did an update to the site last week. So others have been posting over on SimGuruDrake's wall about it in hopes that she will get someone to look into the problem... :)

@lisasc360, you've got that right about the issue with the system: I have 221 posts, 94 points, 13 badges, and have been registered for 8 years, yet I'm STILL a "New Member" LOL! :s This is a ridiculous system and needs to be fixed. :'(
    Home is where your Pugs are! <3
  • mrsr99tsomrsr99tso Posts: 219 Member
    I don't think that's a good idea or fair. There will always be trolls on forums. They always find away to cause trouble and I don't know about but I've seen members troll as well so to leave newbies out wouldn't solve the problem.
  • StormsviewStormsview Posts: 2,603 Member
    > @PugLove888 said:
    > > @lisasc360 said:
    > > @LyricSimsz15, LyricSimsz15 wrote: »
    > >
    > > I wonder though - Can new members currently make new discussions? I want to share my legacy challenge but i can't find the button anywhere.
    > >
    > > No, New Members are unable to start new discussions now due to last years spambot attacks. New members had the ability to do so until spammers/spambots went and ruined it for all New Members. So now you must wait until you get 50 points, 30 posts and an account older than 24 hours. But even if you have the requirements, there is an issue that's not allowing new members who have the requirements to be promoted to member. And I believe that this issue started last week when they did an update to the site last week. So others have been posting over on SimGuruDrake's wall about it in hopes that she will get someone to look into the problem... :)
    >
    >
    >
    > @lisasc360, you've got that right about the issue with the system: I have 221 posts, 94 points, 13 badges, and have been registered for 8 years, yet I'm STILL a "New Member" LOL! :s This is a ridiculous system and needs to be fixed. :'(

You should really go to the support page I am sure they do not want you to stay a lifer as a New member. I am in tears for you :( ...if this goes on why even try?
    we'll give you a full refund. Just make sure you make your request within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase, or within seven days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first.
    Who said EA doesn't have a sense of humor
    Hey, why don't they just charge us 10$ USA to get out of the dog house. like, pay to become a member. that's not a lot of money. and other games do it.
    we'll give you a full refund. Just make sure you make your request within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase, or within seven days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first.
    what's so strange about this is that back in 2014 the troll was a member and not a new member. so I suppose they are afraid it may return as new so punish all new people from now on ? from this one full Member that troll years ago. To make the members that I guess he upset feel better. they all just start dumping on the people that are the lowest on the totem poll which is new members. easy enough to do. like kicking around the youngest unknown members or the new ones on the block. why not just block that one IP or his computer address. then make all new ones feel bad. as usual, no one cares unless it happening to them.
  • SparklePlumleySparklePlumley Posts: 1,061 Member
    Does the forum members have a disdain for new members though? Because for the couple of months I've been here (and sadly still stuck as a new member) I haven't witness any "Get off this thread new member" or "Your opinion doesn't matter, you're a new member" type of thing before. And if it does happen to other new members that's a real shame because like I mention the forums is having issues and there are a lot of 'new' members like me right now and shouldn't be talked down like that

No there is no disdain that I have seen. I was afraid of that when I first joined too. Most Members are friendly and welcoming to New Members, even to me when I was a NM.
  • BethanyShoneBethanyShone Posts: 310 Member
    For some reason I cannot lose the 'new member' title, even though I passed the posts and points required :/ everybody's been lovely to me regardless mind :)
    > @BethanyShone said:
    > For some reason I cannot lose the 'new member' title, even though I passed the posts and points required :/ everybody's been lovely to me regardless mind :)

Because they are not dumb, they know you're technically a member as they are. If you went to support I am sure they will fix that for you.
    > @SparklePlumley said:
    > CitySimmer16 wrote: »
    >
    > Does the forum members have a disdain for new members though? Because for the couple of months I've been here (and sadly still stuck as a new member) I haven't witness any "Get off this thread new member" or "Your opinion doesn't matter, you're a new member" type of thing before. And if it does happen to other new members that's a real shame because like I mention the forums is having issues and there are a lot of 'new' members like me right now and shouldn't be talked down like that
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > No there is no disdain that I have seen. I was afraid of that when I first joined too. Most Members are friendly and welcoming to New Members, even to me when I was a NM.

I am happy to see that all is well with you. Just remember just because it's not happening to you, do not mean that it's not happening to others ok. smile:
    Also, I think most are nice. but a few in good positions can make it bad for lots. if you read page one of this post you will see how they started this . just adding more and more things to do to new ones. so it was not always this way. So maybe it's just time to stop and update everything. find new ways to prevent trolling from new or old members. Dumping on new members a lot of rules is not and never has been the answer. what surprised me was that they did not want that person computer blocked or IP address . and that the person that started this for the new members stop coming. ? at lease on that account.
    > @CitySimmer16 said:
    > Does the forum members have a disdain for new members though? Because for the couple of months I've been here (and sadly still stuck as a new member) I haven't witness any "Get off this thread new member" or "Your opinion doesn't matter, you're a new member" type of thing before. And if it does happen to other new members that's a real shame because like I mention the forums is having issues and there are a lot of 'new' members like me right now and shouldn't be talked down like that

your right you should be treated with respect. after all your a customer as they are. we do not pay less or have free play. People are happy to get their new sims game and also want to go to the forum and make new friends not to be talked down to whether in a forum or facebook sims chat or any other chat. If you go to the first page you will see how they all just started adding more and more things to do to the new ones. why because they were the most helpless ones?
  • JagwithtudeJagwithtude Posts: 1,452 Member
    This thread is really old, it started in 2014 and the reason for it was at that time anyone who had just signed up could start discussions and use personal avi's this led to tons of spam bot attacks and NSFW avi's being used, it got really bad with daily spam bot attacks, this is why this thread was created and not because "members" don't like or respect new members joining, all are welcome here except spam bots.
    "If you could read my mind, I'm pretty sure you'd be traumatized for life"

Join us on Discord for help with MC Command Center @ Discord https://discord.gg/TKp3GqE
    The latest version of MCCC 3.9.6 go to https://www.patreon.com/posts/mc-command-3-9-6-15332977

Rrkznuy.jpg?4

> @lilonesub said:
    > This thread is really old, it started in 2014 and the reason for it was at that time anyone who had just signed up could start discussions and use personal avi's this led to tons of spam bot attacks and NSFW avi's being used, it got really bad with daily spam bot attacks, this is why this thread was created and not because "members" don't like or respect new members joining, all are welcome here except spam bots.

Thank you for your insight, but how long do it take for them to find out that we are not spam bots. Just saying. maybe its time to close this thread what do you think? :)
  • Kylieb191Kylieb191 Posts: 4,653 Member
    edited June 2017
    @SimGuruRusskii @SimGuruDrake @SimGuruGraham @SimGuruBChick @SimGuruPanda - Please can any of you help with updating a couple of new members on this page who should already be members instead of new members?
    Post edited by Kylieb191 on
    Friends?: http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/Kylierose19
    Proud member of the "I own the store" club
    Zpj9msL.png
    The real me:https://twitter.com/CupidStupidLov3
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,225 Member
    Kylieb191 wrote: »
    @SimGuruRusskii @SimGuruDrake @SimGuruGraham @SimGuruBChick @SimGuruPanda - Please can any of you help with updating a couple of new members on this page who should already be members instead of new members?

I believe SimGuruDrake already has someone looking into this issue since it's been broken since they did the update on the site last month.
    > @mrsr99tso said:
    > I don't think that's a good idea or fair. There will always be trolls on forums. They always find away to cause trouble and I don't know about but I've seen members troll as well so to leave newbies out wouldn't solve the problem.

I can tell you are a nice person so I hope you go to this page http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/15827016#Comment_15827016 HELLO! COME AND INTRODUCE YOURSELF!
    .....rosemow has a rose on her profile and is kind to everyone new or old members. she also has one for questions for everyone.
    I am hoping all new ones will leave this page it's depressing. it makes you want to leave the game. yes, we know it wrong. I think they will change this soon. or maybe take it back to how it was and find a new way for this problem or new technology to handle this problem.
    I have 2 links both you will meet rosemow. http://forums.thesims.com/en_us/discussion/comment/15825771#Comment_15825771 one is for
    questions. and this one is to introduce yourself to everyone and she then welcomes you to the forums.. The thing is when your new you can not post and you do not understand, you happen upon this and well it brings you now and it makes some Simmers treat you worst. Ok well, it's not like that in some other parts of the sims forums... so check these please. you will get the respect you deserve as New or returning Simmers . everyone counts :)
  • DagmarHDagmarH Posts: 68 Member
    My impression is they have very little in terms of resources supporting the forums. It's been well over a month since the forum software has stopped updating membership status and weeks since an actual EA/Maxis employee even acknowledged that they were aware of the issue and it was being looked into.

It's very telling that actual EA/Maxis staff presence on the forums is almost nonexistent and the forums are almost entirely dependent on support from community members like Rosemow instead of people who actually work for the company. I've seen more support and active moderation on forums for small independent studios for games that are still in early access than in The Sims Forums. If it weren't so sad and pathetic it would be funny.
  • TheoriesOfHappinessTheoriesOfHappiness Posts: 1,126 Member
    @DagmarH; careful now. anytime i've made a genuine and polite critique of the Gurus, i've had people swarm me and attack me for being inconsiderate to their "hard work" and - in polite terms - a 🐸🐸🐸🐸. it's really hard to have any negative opinion on the forums, at times, so it's best to just avoid certain sections. i've said it before, and i'll say it again: rosemow should be a mod on this site. mastressalita and cathytea, as well. they practically run the SimLit section.

to get back on topic, however, since this thread was created in 2014 due to spam bots attacking i don't think it's the most appropriate location to chat about the broken function. if there isn't a thread already created, if you message me, i wouldn't mind starting a thread to address the issue and to allow the conversation to be the main topic. unfortunately, it sometimes feel like feuding tends to be the best way to get Guru attention.
  • BethanyShoneBethanyShone Posts: 310 Member
    I don't mind the points system and understand why it's in place, I just wish it actually worked. I have the posts & points required and yet I'm still classed as a 'new member' which means I can't join in on the 'post a photo' discussions nor can I make topics to ask questions which I can't find answers to in existing topics :/
  • superkyle221superkyle221 Posts: 1,119 Member
    That's very generous @TheoriesOfHappiness but this is kind of an easy place to vent, and this is a documented issue that one of the gurus claimed to be looking into and has done nothing about for over a month. Since we can't start threads (and since messaging isn't always the best solution - what if you're not around? Do you really want to be our comment jockey?). We all want to be a part of this forum, but we feel unwelcome, and this post, regardless of history, is another reason why new members feel unwelcome here.

(Not to imply that people go out of their way to feel unwelcome, but there have been at least two people who have said that my thoughts don't matter because I'm new, so...)
    I don't remember how to change my signature.
  • reanseihreanseih Posts: 265 Member
    Wait, rosemow isn't a mod? :O I see her everywhere especially in new member threads and help threads.

Eh but, despite her, I think that's about the most we are gonna get. I'm gonna pitch in and say that this forum isn't very friendly to new ppl. Rather, it's making me feel as new members are practically invisible and nonexistent, not a part of the community and not needed.

To give a few examples, many forums have a new members section, where new members can freely chat and introduce themselves, making a place in the community. Others have active mods that regularly patrol and welcoming (aka making them a real member) new ppl who aren't bots, or kicking those who are, instead of such a broken (literally atm) system. I've actually never seen a forum that stops us from having personal avis. To say the least, it's contributing to the fact that even I as a new member myself cannot see other new members as a person, instead of just a post by a bot for example.

Long story short, have a nice day, I'm out. I wanted to be a part of this community, but not worth the trouble if not even a fix is in sight. = =
    青天白日滿地紅 Blue Sky, White Sun, and a Wholly Red Earth
    The Sims 4 Gallery
    The Sims 4 Showcase
  • PholliePhollie Posts: 20 Member
    Banning new threads would mean existing members would have to get over the whole "Sorry I'm posting here and it's off topic but...." which would undoubtedly increase substantially.
  • TheoriesOfHappinessTheoriesOfHappiness Posts: 1,126 Member
    edited June 2017
    @superkyle221; if i made you feel unwelcome, that wasn't the intent. the reason i offered to create a thread was because the forum rules specifically state that threads need to remain on topic. a Guru could easily come and delete this thread, thus losing all of the valid complaints of the members commenting. unfortunately, a new member cannot make a thread, and i was offering to do so for discussion purposes on this documented issue (to make venting easier) if someone extended the request after they checked to see one if already existed beforehand.
  • superkyle221superkyle221 Posts: 1,119 Member
    @TheoriesOfHappiness No worries, you didn't do anything to make me feel unwelcome - that was in regards to experiences when I first started posting. I totally got where you were coming from and understood why you suggested what you did. I was just talking about my experiences elsewhere in the forum. I was just saying that not everybody would necessarily see this/I don't want you to have to feel like you're putting in all of this work if there's a sudden influx/people being online at different times/etc.
    I don't remember how to change my signature.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top