Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Started making my first World this week...

Comments

• Dusty_BootsDusty_Boots Posts: 236 Member
    Well that did it, you've inspired me to give CAW a try! First I read through that marvelous waterfall tutorial and now I see your interesting results as you work on it all. I love your concept of mixed urban/rural -ish residential areas and I adore your wilderness area. As another poster said its very dense, which makes it deliciously mysterious. I see that the terrain view seams can be troubling to blend in. Your retaining wall was clever! Oh what am I getting myself in to? Some fun, I hope ;) Keep going, it looks great to me!

I should read the waterfall tutorial, mine is kind of weird when you are close up!

Thanks, I like the urban-ish areas too. I feel that there aren't enough worlds like that. It all started when I made my apartments & roommates mod and started having Sims rent houses - and I wanted them to be close together, and all the lots in every world I had played were so far apart. The areas I want to look like that, I made them as close together as possible with just a sidewalk width in between, and then I will build to the edges. I like the look.

Nice word choice "deliciously mysterious!" That one just sort of happened by accident ... random placement of trees, clicking repeatedly! There's all kind of spawners over there, too :-)

Happy Accidents: I think that's somewhat how I'll begin learning my way around CAW. Just play with the basic world terrain sculpting until I get used to things. I've found out that it takes a bit of registry editing to get CAW to work with a Steam install. A minor piece of work but totally do-able. I better be well rested before I start that regedit business because its always the little details I tend to trip over! :#
  • Jaline33Jaline33 Posts: 1,167 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    This is a Lunar Lakes Rabbithole:

Eacuteowyn_360_zps29c5473d.jpg

They do look very futuristic but maybe there's a possibility to hide them?

Thanks so much for including the picture @JoAnne65 - and I think you're right: something could probably be built around it to make it look more like a real "place", as long as the lot is big enough to accommodate a building, too.
  • Mrknowitall526Mrknowitall526 Posts: 386 Member
    Some more screen shots:

screenshot_original.jpg

screenshot_original.jpg

screenshot_original.jpg

screenshot_original.jpg

screenshot_original.jpg
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Awesome! Is the first building here a rabbithole or did you build it yourself?

screenshot_original.jpg
    5JZ57S6.png
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Awesome! Is the first building here a rabbithole or did you build it yourself?

screenshot_original.jpg

It's two rabbit holes placed side by side.
  • AmusedShadowAmusedShadow Posts: 37 Member
    This is an awesome and ambitious project OP :) CAW is something I know I'll never dabble in so I admire those who do. It is shaping up to be really nice world so far, great job. Good luck and looking forward to the final result :)
  • HARIBOWSHARIBOWS Posts: 115 Member
    If this is your first time ever using CAW you need a medal. :o:o

It took me nearly five attempts with different worlds to get anything even close to what you've got. I really like the way you've built your roads in that the city part is more grid like and the suburban areas are more wavy and spaced out, very realistic!
    HARIBOWS wrote: »
    If this is your first time ever using CAW you need a medal. :o:o

It took me nearly five attempts with different worlds to get anything even close to what you've got. I really like the way you've built your roads in that the city part is more grid like and the suburban areas are more wavy and spaced out, very realistic!

Thanks! I've always wanted a world like that and never found one ... So I'm making my own!

I haven't done anything in about a week. I'll probably fire it up again tonight.
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    Okay... I can't hold my tongue.
    I've always been of the Belief that wavy roads have a Reason... like going around a mountain/hill/river/someone's property. Roads go from here to there by the shortest way possible. Curving a road just to curve it is Not realistic- imo. A hill, a Big rock, going up the side of a mountain, along a winding river, or following a cow trail to water on a dirt road.... XD
    Sorry, couldn't hold it in. :cry:

Haha, that's okay, we can each have our opinions! I get what you mean, though ... but I guess it just depends on what you're used to. Around where I live the roads are curvy back roads, sometimes for seemingly no reason.

In all actuality, I got tired of the straight grids. And a couple of the curvy roads were because I was trying to create little "neighborhoods" of just a group of houses here and there. Cul-de-sacs don't work in this game, so they sort of have to be curvy...
    Placed a few more lots, then spent over an hour creating this lot... a set of 3 row homes: (it's next to 4 lots of twin townhouses)

screenshot_original.jpg

screenshot_original.jpg

screenshot_original.jpg

screenshot_original.jpg

screenshot_original.jpg

screenshot_original.jpg

screenshot_original.jpg
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited April 2017
    Great job!
    I agree with the straight road principle to some extent by the way, but living in a very flat country (Netherlands), there are many curved roads here too;) Especially in towns and villages. And you could still add 'reasons' for the road to not be straight at some points of course.

Utrecht, a Dutch town:

nl-utrecht-streets_anthem2-city-map-stad-plan-carte-ville-100x140.png

When you compare that to Manhattan you can see the difference ;)

NewYork02.jpg
    5JZ57S6.png
    Still working on this. I've been filling in with lots. So far I apparently have 122 lots, according to the layers - wow, did not realize it was that many! I'm thinking I'll package the world with many of them empty. I have many community lots placed and also about 10 residential, currently. I have some ideas for an apartment-complex type area that I left 2 big 64x64 lots that I want to build out. That'll probably take a while!
    Okay soooooo it's my summer vacation now (I'm a teacher!) and I hope to get back into CAW! Took a break because, well, real life took over!
  • MazakeenMazakeen Posts: 440 Member
    I bow in the dust for what you all are doing. Period.

I have tried, but I get exasperated to soon. :D
    ie62Ymx.jpg
    Rawwrr...
  • Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    Lovely stuff and such straight roads too in town. My roads wobble all over the place :) I have spent the afternoon putting in a pathway to the beach and picked up the valley tool at the wrong moment. Still like you say it is often better the second time round. More pictures as you go along please :)
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    @Mrknowitall526 -It looks like you worked very hard on that world.I had to just export my first one without buildings on my lots as EIG was glitchy back then.I've also got to get back to work on my project in Logan and get that one finished.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,403 Member
    edited June 2017
    TadOlson wrote: »
    I remember making my first world in CAW and it ended up being called Gibsons.I've been using it for an active legacy and it's been very stable so far.I've made two other worlds that became legacy towns called Winfield and Oak Leaf.I'm working on another one and won't be placing lots in CAW though I've never had any trouble with blank worlds like that.I used Sunset Valley's terrain map for my first world and made my own terrains for the other worlds.

@TadOlson Wouldn't happen to be a sort of a small-townish world...much like...
    Would it? :D

If so...my wife and I went there...to the real life Gibsons. :D

https://www.hellobc.com/gibsons.aspx

My RL son and our whole family went up there for the weekend one November bc of a hockey tournament that my son was playing in.

If I ever get CAW, I want to try to recreate a semi-re-creation of Maple Ridge (the town I grew up in in the 70s/80s)

MapleRidge_ideaCAW.jpg

I'm not going to do ALL the roads there, but just the main ones and that in itself will give the feeling of being there. Unfortunately Lougheed Hwy is going to have to be just a regular road in the Sims CAW. :D
    Post edited by Nikkei_Simmer on
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • jillbgjillbg Posts: 4,600 Member
    edited June 2017
    @Mrknowitall526 Have you looked into routing? Because I think you've placed your distant terrain quite close to your roads. You also have to think about camera routing. Boring, but very much needed. The camera will also slide upwards if too close to a mountain, which could be problematic with a terrain with steep mountains on the other side of the road...
    screenshot_original.jpg

NymlADp.jpg
    jillbg wrote: »
    @Mrknowitall526 Have you looked into routing? Because I think you've placed your distant terrain quite close to your roads. You also have to think about camera routing. Boring, but very much needed. The camera will also slide upwards if too close to a mountain, which could be problematic with a terrain with steep mountains on the other side of the road...
    screenshot_original.jpg

I did some testing and the routing seems to work fine there. Why would DT nearby affect the routing?
  • AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    Looks like a pretty neat world. I always thought that the premade worlds lacked that tight knit neighborhood feel. Especially in the suburban Bridgeport area.
    Well, I've reached a point where I'm kind of out of ideas / don't know what buildings exactly are missing, etc. If anyone wants to test it out, here's a link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f08w33hdaecgyep/Allentown{1}.Sims3Pack?dl=0
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    @Mrknowitall526 -I had to use an extension on Firefox to get it to download from Dropbox called DownThemall.I don't mind if most of the lots are actually empty as I love building my own things like a festival.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
    TadOlson wrote: »
    @Mrknowitall526 -I had to use an extension on Firefox to get it to download from Dropbox called DownThemall.I don't mind if most of the lots are actually empty as I love building my own things like a festival.

@TadOlson : That's odd, I was able to download it right away in Chrome.

What town buildings do you think are missing? Any rabbit holes? There is definitely one thing I do still want to build. There are two 64x64 lots where I wanted to build an apartment "complex" of sorts. I already built the parking lots. I would probably do one building, save it to the bin, and then copy it and change the colors of the buildings and rotate it, etc.