Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build Mode Feedback for EA

Comments

• taydevtaydev Posts: 912 Member
    edited April 2017
    Veriona wrote: »
    taydev wrote: »
    taydev wrote: »
    Hi I can certainly use some help. I've noticed that natural (sun) light and shadows don't cast through my windows indoors, but shadows and sunlight work fine outdoors.

Window casts shadow outside:
    http://imgur.com/f4bjBAq

More shadows outside:
    http://imgur.com/VHqL14e

Same building and windows as the previous but no shadows indoors:
    http://imgur.com/kzY9ojg

Same building. Skylight (dancefloor) casts shadow outside and inside, but wall windows don't:
    http://imgur.com/OznJUut
    http://imgur.com/n6GBoBV

Also, in the last pic, the lighting is off. It acts as if I have an opening in the ceiling (I don't), which makes the room look blue. I don't use cc or mods. Can someone tell me what's going on? Thanks.

Well I figured out the blue-ish lighting problem on the third floor: I had a missing wall panel behind one of the large windows. lol whoops. Still don't know why my windows aren't adding natural light and shadows to the rooms. This is an issue in all of the buildings so I'm wondering if it's my setting. Can anyone help please?

I've had a similar issue like this and I found out the hard way after already sharing my build it was a hole on the ceiling. I'm not sure if that's the issue for you, but I only caught it the next day because I posted the house at 4am without checking, was half asleep oops. I hope you find a solution to your issue, it sounds frustrating :(

Yep, I found the solution. The lighting was because the room was acting as a outdoor space, and the culprit was that I missed a wall panel where one of the big windows are. Silly mistake on my part :blush:
    BryonyRae wrote: »
    @taydev I can see from your images that some of your interior is not being recognized as an indoor space by the game. For instance, in your final image, you can see that the bathroom is being handled as an indoor space (note that the light is glowing yellow, as it does by default in a room) but the surrounding areas are not. I would need to see more images of the level(s) above the levels you are showing in the images, but my guess is that you have an exposed area somewhere. Have you tried redrawing the space(s) using the custom room tool? Did you use the room tool or custom room tool when you originally drew the spaces? If you used the wall tool, it does not always work properly to designate a space as a room...

Yes, thank you for your help, @BryonyRae . I removed all the bedroom windows and there was a missing wall. I redrew it and placed the windows back. Just an oversight on my part lol.

What about the natural light situation? The first pics show windows casting their light and shadow outside, while the remaining pics don't. I'd really like to have natural light in interior spaces. Any solutions to this?

• BryonyRaeBryonyRae Posts: 5,181 Member
    @taydev you should be seeing light & shadow from those windows; I do in my game:

04-17-17_8-47-53PM_zps62mqoiel.png

However, it does depend upon time of day as to whether exterior sunlight is at an angle to flow through them. You might experiment a bit by drawing a simple square room like I have, tossing a couple of windows on a wall, and then changing the time of day (in build mode). You will typically find that there will be light flowing through during at least one of the times. You can also rotate the room to try to catch the light. If this works in your game, then take a closer look at the larger structure you've built. Could there be exterior features that are blocking the light? Are you maybe looking at it during a time of day when the light isn't reaching inside? If it doesn't work in your game, it may be an issue with your graphics settings in the game and/or your video driver.
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
  • taydevtaydev Posts: 912 Member
    BryonyRae wrote: »
    @taydev you should be seeing light & shadow from those windows; I do in my game:

04-17-17_8-47-53PM_zps62mqoiel.png

However, it does depend upon time of day as to whether exterior sunlight is at an angle to flow through them. You might experiment a bit by drawing a simple square room like I have, tossing a couple of windows on a wall, and then changing the time of day (in build mode). You will typically find that there will be light flowing through during at least one of the times. You can also rotate the room to try to catch the light. If this works in your game, then take a closer look at the larger structure you've built. Could there be exterior features that are blocking the light? Are you maybe looking at it during a time of day when the light isn't reaching inside? If it doesn't work in your game, it may be an issue with your graphics settings in the game and/or your video driver.

Thanks a ton, @BryonyRae . It was my graphics setting. I had all my graphics on high, which apparently wasn't high enough. So I simply set lighting on very high, and voila. Natural light! I really love the look of it, and it completely changes the visual aesthetic indoors :)
  • VerionaVeriona Posts: 505 Member
    edited April 2017
    @taydev Happy to see you found a solution to your issues.

I just want to share some annoyance I have with some roofs. I'm already going insane with my build, got the roof to how I finally want it and only one roof trim works to make my build look decent in the front and this monstrosity happens in the back lot of my build.

Sims4_WIP_RoofTrimIssues_zpsbi04ycgk.jpg~original

I have found a fix with is using smooth keeper fence to hide this hideous effect (it looks this ugly in all lighting and every lot I have parked it on). This is the stepped roof trim btw, why is it so darn pretty in the front top trims, but the bottom is like this, why??? My ingame graphics are all on high settings and this was in all settings of the game, just plain old butt plummery! Please fix this in the future, making starters with a budget cuts into me having to use the smooth keeper fence to hide this hideousness graphical monstrosity :(

ETA: Here is my fix, such a cut into a starter budget *sigh* :(

Sims4_WIP_RoofTrimIssues1_zpsjn4smexi.jpg~original
  • NectereNectere Posts: 1,002 Member
    edited April 2017
    @taydev Happy to see you found a solution to your issues.

I just want to share some annoyance I have with some roofs. I'm already going insane with my build, got the roof to how I finally want it and only one roof trim works to make my build look decent in the front and this monstrosity happens in the back lot of my build.

Sims4_WIP_RoofTrimIssues_zpsbi04ycgk.jpg~original

I have found a fix with is using smooth keeper fence to hide this hideous effect (it looks this ugly in all lighting and every lot I have parked it on). This is the stepped roof trim btw, why is it so darn pretty in the front top trims, but the bottom is like this, why??? My ingame graphics are all on high settings and this was in all settings of the game, just plain old butt plummery! Please fix this in the future, making starters with a budget cuts into me having to use the smooth keeper fence to hide this hideousness graphical monstrosity :(

ETA: Here is my fix, such a cut into a starter budget *sigh* :(

Sims4_WIP_RoofTrimIssues1_zpsjn4smexi.jpg~original

You can use the thin flat one in roof trims? Thats usually the one used for that style of roof, rather than the fencing

pj8a904.png
    Mods should enhance my game, not fix it.
    Origin ID NectereSim
    Hello @Nectere thank you for replying to my roof issue, really appreciate it. I have tried that roof trim (square roof trim, right side of my pic below) you suggested before your post reply and while I like the trim on bottom of roof (I use the half hipped roof btw) I did not like the front top trim of it for the look of my build. I much preferred how the stepped roof trim (left side of my pic below) looked with the top trim on my build. Hope I'm making sense, stepped roof trim has ugly bottom trims, I wish design team would work on it please.

Sims4_WIP_RoofTrimIssues2_zpsg1j2q2hi.jpg~original
  • NectereNectere Posts: 1,002 Member
    edited April 2017
    Hello @Nectere thank you for replying to my roof issue, really appreciate it. I have tried that roof trim (square roof trim, right side of my pic below) you suggested before your post reply and while I like the trim on bottom of roof (I use the half hipped roof btw) I did not like the front top trim of it for the look of my build. I much preferred how the stepped roof trim (left side of my pic below) looked with the top trim on my build. Hope I'm making sense, stepped roof trim has ugly bottom trims, I wish design team would work on it please.

You can choose a different style for each roof. They dont all have to be the same. Like I would use stepped on the gable and half gable and then the square on the on the hip/halfhip. Another interesting thing the roof trim does is it will create a trim line where normally a frieze/wall trim goes - you can create some interesting effects layering these - this caps off the junction between the top of the wall and the roof. Hopefully that made sense. Use the shift key to apply just where you want these things.

*eta, but I do agree I wished the stepped roof trim didnt look so horribly bad on the hip and half hip roofs
    Mods should enhance my game, not fix it.
    Origin ID NectereSim
    Nectere wrote: »

You can choose a different style for each roof. They dont all have to be the same. Like I would use stepped on the gable and half gable and then the square on the on the hip/halfhip. Another interesting thing the roof trim does is it will create a trim line where normally a frieze/wall trim goes - you can create some interesting effects layering these - this caps off the junction between the top of the wall and the roof. Hopefully that made sense. Use the shift key to apply just where you want these things.

*eta, but I do agree I wished the stepped roof trim didnt look so horribly bad on the hip and half hip roofs

I'm a bit confused sorry. I used the shift key when I built this lot's roof (I actually finished it, that is the finished image I posted btw) and the trim would only do the entire roof for the half hipped roof leaving a beautiful top trim, but a butt ugly bottom. I tried putting my cursor with shift being held down to cover it, but it just covered the whole roof trimming :( I know about the trim lining where frieze would normally go, but it didn't hide the ugly as well as I'd like.
    @Veriona I downloaded your build, and I agree that the stepped roof trim on the half hipped (and hipped) roof looks off when compared to the trim on the gabled roof. It looks like a texture glitch to me, and I will add it to our index of such glitches here.

As far as what Nectere was saying, I'm not sure if this is what he meant, but you can "layer" the trim on the half hipped roof. If you hover a bit lower on the front roof edge, you'll see that you have an option to apply the trim to the lower edge of the roof. It's a little weird, but here's what it looks like to do it (the red circle is approximately where you hover your cursor with the trim you want to apply as the 2nd layer selected):
    trimlayer_zpscxradgpf.jpg

This serves to cover up the weird distortion a bit, but I don't know if it's even something you're intended to be able to do... Other than that, you can't actually apply different trim to specific parts of the same roof as far as I'm aware.

One thing I wondered when looking at your build was why not simply use the gabled roof instead of the half hipped? It would leave the back with a roof wall as well, but that would still look cute, and it would get away from the hipped/half hipped visual problem.
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
  • withlovejulienwithlovejulien Posts: 588 Member
    edited May 2017
    I'm having a couple of issues while building. One is that I would like to have a two-story room but once I put in a fence for an indoor balcony, the room isn't counted as an indoor room anymore and the roofs become visible inside.

Here's an example of the roof problem:

G8vZbap.png

The other is that sometimes I have a patch of floor next to a stairway opening on the second floor that I would like to remove for design and gameplay reasons (Sims can get stuck on it if I leave it there). But whenever I make a room to remove the floor and then remove the walls, the ceiling also disappears from the space and it is no longer counted as a room.

The extra floor I want to remove:

HIj6VZq.png

Trying to remove it by creating a room to remove only that floor:

Vo7wgCo.png

orCL1b6.png

L6WUwtv.png

The missing ceiling area:

fnwzp4l.png
    Post edited by withlovejulien on
    @withlovejulien your second problem regarding the missing ceiling is easily fixed by placing a flat down in that area to cover the hole. Once you do, the area below will be treated as indoors again, with regard to lighting.

The intruding roof issue has been around from the beginning. In your case, the fix may be as simple as changing your fencing such that it does not connect to the wall(s) (it's when the fence connects to an exterior wall that the game starts considering it as an outdoor space). There are other workarounds, such as placing a portion of the roof on the level above or below and connecting it to a roof on that level that doesn't intrude by virtue of its placement. You can also get around it poking into the interior by increasing its height/width in some cases.

I do have to say that in the case of that first picture you posted, it actually doesn't look bad that way. Sometimes roofing is present like that in actual homes (maybe not the roofing tile, but the block of the roof), and it can be a good stylistic choice. So, if you find that none of the workarounds will do your design justice, you may just want to opt for allowing it to intrude.
    edited May 2017
    Thanks! It still displayed when the fence was only one panel wide in the middle. I just went with a non-balcony build. :)

Thanks for the tip to put a room above. At least the ceiling will look complete even if it isn't treated as an indoor space!
    Post edited by withlovejulien on
  • XinqunXinqun Posts: 612 Member
    @withlovejulien With regard to the second issue, you won't lose the ceiling if you completely enclose that floor-less "room" with railing. Since you obviously don't want the railing to cross over in mid-air above the stair, that floor-less room will have to include the opening for the stair--be 4x2 instead of 1x2. Don't worry about the railing crossing in front of the top of the stair: the railing will "disappear" if the top of a stair begins there.
    Thank you, @Xinqun ! I'll give that a try next time!

Another annoying issue is inflated gallery costs. For instance, I just uploaded a lot that lists the cost at 53,555 but the download cost is 51,013. I've had this issue for a while (since I frequently do budget builds I keep a close eye on the costs) and figured out a workaround (if I save it then download it the next save is the download amount). I've checked for food and books left out. The inflated values occur even if I just move something in build mode without adding anything new or going into live mode. Game has been recently repaired, directory reset, new save, no mods or CC.
  • XinqunXinqun Posts: 612 Member
    @withlovejulien Is there a family living on the lot when you build? That's what usually causes cost discrepancies.
    @xinqun When I notice the cost increasing in my lot saves compared to the cost to download the same lot, yes, I think it's when there's a family in it and I'm play testing!
    Yes, that's depreciation, which occurs when a family is living on the lot. When you upload the lot to the Gallery, the depreciation is removed though. You should be able to see the true cost by 1) saving the lot to your library and 2) removing the family from the lot in game, bulldozing, and then placing the build from your library.
  • MylabugzMylabugz Posts: 19 New Member
    Hello, (I'm a noob I have no idea how to upload photos on here so just bare with me)
    I am having an issue with uploading a tree. It was placed at one point and then randomly deleted. It is now coming up with this bizarre error anytime I try to place it on this lot. I have bulldozed it and reuploaded my home to place it and it didn't work. I have deleted some cache files and still didn't work.
    http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l521/Myla7878/Coding/Untitled.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Yq7QgiXMbnOSYN5qnr4dKfMx-xWJ_KjF0hrXdat2Mh3AHycXzn0zzmGHXItFwffExoVeaHo9-H2Z_3Wdc9FJdWK6hTx3fblyjoHWcgxX-rK4o47uOL6_0wfbXMWB2zXpVNCSDg0DkKy55T2of3l7JrZ90lNCtE03s5LBD6c2xLl0a4R8J6y4n0EfAcbobUn_7uM1dcrGAWQmDpQhmzTTi6mvsxyRpSzURdYkD2n-Xwaf_ASXEHEvE7axfrt-mk-kKMzkcbNEyYZ1PT9-JdNgvQwWAR9YOSssRjDi5CYyPyh5WUnpdmn92d87D49z-jcGqR5sNgFG7fXp_wuFEtlZXMt_hbbY8EwqPr9TWhDZktloEJnWedzMIixp4J1l2h-mJh9S2tKlt003v_3EJ7Q7hGy0ZU4_EOzgRN26y8gcmWFgd4wO507630pO_WQSFAjDHRMYxqizMkxitgUsZdnrbFRbnnXg6P9D9Lgz3-nONtLlcH3pYE7NwzIpWEXXOvkRSOD8KMSgnR-62sM_APVIjv_oiWQhbYQ9dNbp1gsVfmLHqO_7qTqmUZBr_-EdalcZ2iuD3tKfzEe0Y12xVrGC40NDNKnXLVBDGNN1Ixf6pa-fa3HElVib=w537-h894-no

As you can see there is optimal room around the tree there is no way the issue is something of an object being too close, let alone it doesn't give that kind of error it gives an entirely different error. It was originally placed here.
    https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/dWhWMZ_zPZ-9p8Th7mNBvaZo49FslnQ702bYjZsay7RPTwOR2LNXK2y3UEd3DK1hBWSunWWXvb9sxnIO1eu_bJFEwEZhxZcZDxRqPmUE10KCzWoOPWwZNi9kBsyNio-ivl-Nao5dG98VaPRSK7cwKfZWr6dmgzfyJGRffxyuYfN2PZk0lb7t0-CH88HObOn9tXDh4xYqHFGtotnGUV3YqdVXQVG6mJEpRM1lnbqGzqpGLBnzzCHeV6yAxMz5gzxvdUslwWAIwN2nGxkpqOHFMHLs1B5AiMSo-PGH9oPV4FR0a_ogo7EOyCilexSc3fgLDYZJ3VQeYAJ6sGglEENeyH4O9H5Fk5K7Z6QTiEKeUUlhU1V2XNah0xBpRUiI5kLSm-Bcf8wC0ZKzOMSJrh-MCwz-3jQUgNL5cTVTwdP5h_bky5aagJ0_mgSR0yadU2UuskY2MqmpqRkCkYlKlQomZddfZTweB3OoBLECwjCLQJADbaPNCQGJuSj0AVWq1ZelLu26_tdO8NJhxjCOFV_1DYJ9kGL3YpMIxj-BllW9XUuoVmezG1_i1sEg4qgUUYvxRKV2yZk8PSmR7O9ZkbEIPZzRJtkvK6WDVtDqEvWcnsRoEO14=w537-h894-no

There is still optimal room for it to be placed there and the same error occurs, about the intersecting with the floor and not an object. Anybody have any suggestions please?
    @Mylabugz is there a basement on the lot? I had a look at that object (Dead Hawthorne Tree) in my game, and there appears to be a problem with placing it if it is above any portion of a basement. The object's footprint may be extending below ground level, which I consider a bug and am reporting here. Note that you can work around this issue by using the bb.moveobjects cheat.
    edited June 2017
    Results of the 5/25/17 patch testing:
    • Setting auto lights no longer changes lighting colors/intensities << while this is true of colors, intensity is still being reset whenever auto lights are set and/or lights are turned off/on
    • Trims no longer twist when placed on intersecting normal & diagonal roofs << the joins are still awkward with gaps between them but are not twisted
    • Cu Cu Cachoo skull now costs $175 to purchase
    • Swatches are now consistent for Custom Victorian Rug End
    • Flicker around edge of half hipped roofs when slotted in with diagonal half hipped roofs has been fixed
  • MylabugzMylabugz Posts: 19 New Member
    Thank you there is a basement below it. I guess I'll just wait for a patch. I have another question that isn't build related. I was just wondering if I have a reaper toddler (I took in a reaper and then morphed him into a toddler) why is it that I can't make him come along on field trips? Like when I go to travel I can have everyone else in my household come along except him. I tried it with other reaper toddlers and downloaded ones.
  • AvileaAvilea Posts: 114 Member
    I'm having an issue with doors and stairs. The house is built on a foundation that's at the lowest height before being just on the ground, and there are no stairs in front of any of the doors. My sim will go into the house through the front door by stepping up on the foundation, but he refuses to use the back door which was built the same way. I figured it's because there isn't a step, but if that's the case why did he use the front door? Regardless, I can't place a stair that's flush to the foundation without getting the Can't Place Through Walls message. I don't understand why the sim will use the front door, but refuse the other doors that are identical to the front door, just on a different wall.
    @avilea which lot are you building on? We had a bug with routing on single level foundations in the past, and it was lot related, and moreover, on specific portions of the affected lot(s). If you could post a picture (or link to one) taken from an overhead perspective, that shows the layout of your build, it would help.
    @mylabugz I'm sorry, but I haven't even found time to play with toddlers yet, beyond playtesting for my builds. I would ask your question in the General forum or one that is more focused on live mode questions/issues.
  • AvileaAvilea Posts: 114 Member
    > @BryonyRae said:
    > @avilea which lot are you building on? We had a bug with routing on single level foundations in the past, and it was lot related, and moreover, on specific portions of the affected lot(s). If you could post a picture (or link to one) taken from an overhead perspective, that shows the layout of your build, it would help.

I am embarrassed to say that I don't qualify to post a screenshot yet. From my understanding "non-members" can't do such a thing. I'm only allowed to post in the "ask a question" topics until I have made 30 posts or some such thing. Guess I'd better go find more problems to ask questions about then? :*