Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Parenthood -- where nothing really matters

Comments

• klestrellaklestrella Posts: 440 Member
    To elaborate further on my original comment, I can now confirm that the emotions and actions do matter since the installation of this pack. I wasn't entirely sure before, but I discovered some pretty interesting things when I played earlier. I was paying close attention to the types of interactions my sims had at different times, and the interactions were very much intuitive to their emotional states and actions they had completed. For example, I've noticed that sims can now discuss another sim's emotional state or at the very least, acknowledge it. A random vamp was walking down the street while the sun was up, and so he was uncomfortable. One of my sims had the ability to "scoff at discomfort" even though she hadn't even introduced herself to him. I also noticed that if a sim is angry or embarrassed, another sim can talk to them about their mood.

Also, the teen sim in my current household has the highest level of 'manners', and while not maxed yet, she's already displaying a crazy level of autonomy coinciding with it. She frequently attempts to wash dishes via a sink both in and outside of her household; I can't figure out what dirty dish(es) she's attempting to wash, but she's trying and doing so would actively boost her manners. When she's visited her boyfriend at his house and an appliance breaks, she autonomously chooses to attempt to repair it. She never, ever did this before this pack and these actions weren't popping up until she achieved the level of 'manners' she has now. I have to cancel these autonomous actions very frequently now, that's how strongly the value trait is influencing her autonomy. And while I haven't played with YAs and up yet, I have a hard time imagining that this would change or that it wouldn't at the very least determine how a sim will raise their children and what values they'll pass on to them. Others have even proven in this thread that there are new interactions based on values traits and that sims act and parent differently based on their upbringing. I understand that everyone plays differently and wants different things, but I just can't agree that this pack is boring or without depth.
    brendhan21 wrote: »
    yeah my kids do nothing atonosmly except maybe go to get food and sleep.
    What levels do they have in their values traits? For me, as soon as one of the kids' values traits went visibly green, that's when all the autonomy slowly started to kick in. Once they max a trait (you'll get a pop-up message that says they're in range to receive that value upon aging to YA), their level of autonomy should be very evident. If they have a high responsibility value, you should begin seeing them autonomously choosing to complete their homework, begin school projects, etc. Of course, keep in mind that they will generally choose to take care of their needs before doing anything related to their value traits. You may not see a pay-off to the value traits if you're micro-managing their actions or if they have low motives. :smile:
    You know how it goes. Some people have the ability to know what a games is all about after playing for a few minutes, they know everything, without giving it a chance. I wouldn't be surprised if some of them havent actually even played it. It take more than a few hours to get into this game pack.This one has a lot of immediate new features but many that have to be discovered as you go along. You don't just play Parenthood on release day and write a slam piece, like this. The title alone is an attention-grabbing slam piece and I find it sad. But...oh well.
    I normally stay out of threads like this, but this exact comment sums up why I couldn't keep biting my tongue about it. To say the pack's boring or lacking makes me wonder if the people who make these comments are playing the same game I'm playing. :lol: Not to mention that the pack's only been out for three days! How have they already determined the pack's boring or lacking? :frowning:
  • CheekybitsCheekybits Posts: 1,030 Member
    I agree, you need to play for a while to flush this pack out. The family i was playing is now in complete chaos. I have 4 kids 3 teens and 1 child. The teen sims were fine at first it seemed as if this was the base game. But after an hour of playing the kids are all sick of there parents where the " need to get away from the family" emote and because of this there all acting up. Always saying forbidden words and going into phases. I get the parents to punish the kids with a time out but they break time out and then start arguing with there parents. Now the father, who is the only working parent is stressed and needs time away from work and mad at the kids . So for the fist time ever in this game I took them on family vacation to calm everyone down.This pack in my opinion forces you to play and do other things then just eat, sleep, pee,work wake up do it all over because if you keep doing it the sims get mad and bored and stressed and there emotions effect all there actions.
  • BrownGamerGurl1BrownGamerGurl1 Posts: 1,136 Member
    klestrella wrote: »
    To elaborate further on my original comment, I can now confirm that the emotions and actions do matter since the installation of this pack. I wasn't entirely sure before, but I discovered some pretty interesting things when I played earlier. I was paying close attention to the types of interactions my sims had at different times, and the interactions were very much intuitive to their emotional states and actions they had completed. For example, I've noticed that sims can now discuss another sim's emotional state or at the very least, acknowledge it. A random vamp was walking down the street while the sun was up, and so he was uncomfortable. One of my sims had the ability to "scoff at discomfort" even though she hadn't even introduced herself to him. I also noticed that if a sim is angry or embarrassed, another sim can talk to them about their mood.

Also, the teen sim in my current household has the highest level of 'manners', and while not maxed yet, she's already displaying a crazy level of autonomy coinciding with it. She frequently attempts to wash dishes via a sink both in and outside of her household; I can't figure out what dirty dish(es) she's attempting to wash, but she's trying and doing so would actively boost her manners. When she's visited her boyfriend at his house and an appliance breaks, she autonomously chooses to attempt to repair it. She never, ever did this before this pack and these actions weren't popping up until she achieved the level of 'manners' she has now. I have to cancel these autonomous actions very frequently now, that's how strongly the value trait is influencing her autonomy. And while I haven't played with YAs and up yet, I have a hard time imagining that this would change or that it wouldn't at the very least determine how a sim will raise their children and what values they'll pass on to them. Others have even proven in this thread that there are new interactions based on values traits and that sims act and parent differently based on their upbringing. I understand that everyone plays differently and wants different things, but I just can't agree that this pack is boring or without depth.
    What levels do they have in their values traits? For me, as soon as one of the kids' values traits went visibly green, that's when all the autonomy slowly started to kick in. Once they max a trait (you'll get a pop-up message that says they're in range to receive that value upon aging to YA), their level of autonomy should be very evident. If they have a high responsibility value, you should begin seeing them autonomously choosing to complete their homework, begin school projects, etc. Of course, keep in mind that they will generally choose to take care of their needs before doing anything related to their value traits. You may not see a pay-off to the value traits if you're micro-managing their actions or if they have low motives. :smile:
    You know how it goes. Some people have the ability to know what a games is all about after playing for a few minutes, they know everything, without giving it a chance. I wouldn't be surprised if some of them havent actually even played it. It take more than a few hours to get into this game pack.This one has a lot of immediate new features but many that have to be discovered as you go along. You don't just play Parenthood on release day and write a slam piece, like this. The title alone is an attention-grabbing slam piece and I find it sad. But...oh well.
    I normally stay out of threads like this, but this exact comment sums up why I couldn't keep biting my tongue about it. To say the pack's boring or lacking makes me wonder if the people who make these comments are playing the same game I'm playing. :lol: Not to mention that the pack's only been out for three days! How have they already determined the pack's boring or lacking? :frowning:

Sooo, true . And in my opinion, there's no way any reasonably fair person would say this pack doesn't have a lot to offer. It does just what it set out to do and that is add more to family play. I think it's good to ignore these kind of threads, but sometimes you have to take a side.
  • yagwityagwit Posts: 118 Member
    > @Cheekybits said:
    > I agree, you need to play for a while to flush this pack out. The family i was playing is now in complete chaos. I have 4 kids 3 teens and 1 child. The teen sims were fine at first it seemed as if this was the base game. But after an hour of playing the kids are all sick of there parents where the " need to get away from the family" emote and because of this there all acting up. Always saying forbidden words and going into phases. I get the parents to punish the kids with a time out but they break time out and then start arguing with there parents. Now the father, who is the only working parent is stressed and needs time away from work and mad at the kids . So for the fist time ever in this game I took them on family vacation to calm everyone down.This pack in my opinion forces you to play and do other things then just eat, sleep, pee,work wake up do it all over because if you keep doing it the sims get mad and bored and stressed and there emotions effect all there actions.

I find your Sim story very interesting. Did you adopt the kids, or go through pregnancies?

Hub has me on a pack time out, LOL! ( my fault for maxing CC) :blush: I am living through everyone's XP with parenthood.
  • CheekybitsCheekybits Posts: 1,030 Member
    > @yagwit said:
    > > @Cheekybits said:
    > > I agree, you need to play for a while to flush this pack out. The family i was playing is now in complete chaos. I have 4 kids 3 teens and 1 child. The teen sims were fine at first it seemed as if this was the base game. But after an hour of playing the kids are all sick of there parents where the " need to get away from the family" emote and because of this there all acting up. Always saying forbidden words and going into phases. I get the parents to punish the kids with a time out but they break time out and then start arguing with there parents. Now the father, who is the only working parent is stressed and needs time away from work and mad at the kids . So for the fist time ever in this game I took them on family vacation to calm everyone down.This pack in my opinion forces you to play and do other things then just eat, sleep, pee,work wake up do it all over because if you keep doing it the sims get mad and bored and stressed and there emotions effect all there actions.
    >
    > I find your Sim story very interesting. Did you adopt the kids, or go through pregnancies?
    >
    > Hub has me on a pack time out, LOL! ( my fault for maxing CC) :blush: I am living through everyone's XP with parenthood.

LOL hopefully you can play again soon! I went through the pregnancies. You know everything was fine until the girl child grew up turned into a teen then everything went down hill... the girl had a mood swing to become distant and when they all were eating dinner she was mad from being around them so she started saying forbidden words. The father got mad and told her not to the bothers got stressed from them fighting then started saying forbidden words. The father put the girl in time out but ofc she broke time out then father went to work came home stressed needed a break everyone was shouting around the house left and right I just paused the game and was like OK! family vacay! only sim that was content was the mother and she has the insane trait so shes always talking to herself and not even paying attention. The 2nd teen sim, he has the good trait but also the childish trait so he'd cry as this was going on and went into the distant mood swing.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    edited June 2017
    CK213 wrote: »
    I have two sims I had made long ago just for the purpose of testing out incompatible traits.
    They got along as well as two sims with compatible traits. This would not be the case in The Sims 2 or The Sims 3.

I gave the same two sims opposing values and there is a difference now.
    One sim has a tool box of interactions that would get on the other sims nerves, but I am still not seeing any autonomous actions. I still have to make it happen. I do need to play longer to see under what conditions something interesting might occur, but at least these two feel like The Odd Couple now.

Imo, Sims 3 traits were the same as sims 4. Some were good like dramatic etc, but most traits were nothing but skill boosts.

Sims 2 Sims had serious personality though, and it showed.

No they are not.
    Sims 3 Sims are truer to their traits. You can just watch a TS3 sim and tell what their traits are.
    Sometimes I forget what traits my TS4 sims have and I have to look them up.

Sims 3 sims with incompatible traits make it known that they don't approve of each other.
    Sims 4 sims are oblivious of the differences.

I've brought this up before [copy/paste]:
    Incompatible traits does not make for incompatible sims in TS4.
    It just determines what traits your sims are not allowed to have.
    You lose out on the built in drama and challenge of sims who have opposing traits.

Try it yourself and make a Snob/Neat/Ambitious sim and a Goofball/Slob/Lazy sim and see how wonderfully they get along.
    The most you are going to get out of the Neat sim is a tense emotion to the messy environment the Slob has made, not the Slob herself.
    The only way for them to not live well together is if you force them with mean socials.
    10-23-16_7-46-41nbspPM.png

I made a similar household in TS3 and the difference is night and day.
    Screenshot-2500.jpg

Screenshot-2501.jpg

The conflict arises naturally without your help, but also has drama built into the socials when you have sims of opposing traits.
    Asking the slob to actually clean up the place gets you drama.
    Screenshot-2502.jpg

It's pretty easy to imagine: "Heck no I am not cleaning up. I made us breakfast (burnt waffles), you clean it up."
    Screenshot-2503.jpg

Screenshot-2506.jpg

I am happy to see the character values mechanic though.
    It's a step in the right direction. I haven't had time to give it a good test run yet.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • AmiutzaAmiutza Posts: 1,796 Member
    Came to chime in on the manners trait. My sims aren't even grow up yet, one is a child and one is a teen, but the mother insisted on praising manners (as she has the trait herself) and the autonomous behavior is blatantly obvious. They will clean anything from dishes to toddler messes, counters, etc. I'm yet to try the negative ones, but I'm playing out a sibling rivalry and they absolutely hate eachother. Hopefully ill get to negative conflict resolution and emotional control to see how it fully develops.

hhHD2XB.png
    My tumblr - A world of clutter and color
  • Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    klestrella wrote: »

Wait what? That's pretty cool!
    I have two sims I had made long ago just for the purpose of testing out incompatible traits.
    They got along as well as two sims with compatible traits. This would not be the case in The Sims 2 or The Sims 3.

I gave the same two sims opposing values and there is a difference now.
    One sim has a tool box of interactions that would get on the other sims nerves, but I am still not seeing any autonomous actions. I still have to make it happen. I do need to play longer to see under what conditions something interesting might occur, but at least these two feel like The Odd Couple now.

Imo, Sims 3 traits were the same as sims 4. Some were good like dramatic etc, but most traits were nothing but skill boosts.

Sims 2 Sims had serious personality though, and it showed.

No they are not.
    Sims 3 Sims are truer to their traits. You can just watch a TS3 sim and tell what their traits are.
    Sometimes I forget what traits my TS4 sims have and I have to look them up.

Sims 3 sims with incompatible traits make it known that they don't approve of each other.
    Sims 4 sims are oblivious of the differences.

I've brought this up before [copy/paste]:
    Incompatible traits does not make for incompatible sims in TS4.
    It just determines what traits your sims are not allowed to have.
    You lose out on the built in drama and challenge of sims who have opposing traits.

Try it yourself and make a Snob/Neat/Ambitious sim and a Goofball/Slob/Lazy sim and see how wonderfully they get along.
    The most you are going to get out of the Neat sim is a tense emotion to the messy environment the Slob has made, not the Slob herself.
    The only way for them to not live well together is if you force them with mean socials.
    10-23-16_7-46-41nbspPM.png

I made a similar household in TS3 and the difference is night and day.
    Screenshot-2500.jpg

Screenshot-2501.jpg

The conflict arises naturally without your help, but also has drama built into the socials when you have sims of opposing traits.
    Asking the slob to actually clean up the place gets you drama.
    Screenshot-2502.jpg

It's pretty easy to imagine: "Heck no I am not cleaning up. I made us breakfast (burnt waffles), you clean it up."
    Screenshot-2503.jpg

Screenshot-2506.jpg

I am happy to see the character values mechanic though.
    It's a step in the right direction. I haven't had time to give it a good test run yet.

I've tired this myself with TS4 Sims so I think you definitely have a point when it comes to describing how their traits don't impact their social interactions appropriately a lot of the time.

When it comes to TS3 Sims I'm not as much in agreement. (although I do agree with some of it)
    The thing is I found the vast majority of the TS3 traits hollow and practically useless.
    In fact pretty much the only one's that were useful were the traits they carried over to the Sims 4.

I could easily make a Sim in TS3 where it would take you forever to guess what exact traits I gave them without looking
    I don't think you could do the same to me with TS4 Sims.

Now this isn't to say that your assesment of their flaws isn't accurate..I'm just pointing out that it's not the traits in TS4 that are broken.
    They are every bit as easily identifiable as their counterparts in the Sims 3
    It's just that the traits in TS4 are heavily influenced by an emotion system that impedes continuity, making conflict in TS4 much more difficult to maintain.

edited June 2017
    In fact let me follow up on that last post and explain why I'm such a stickler for this point...
    It's because the problem has been misidentified as being a fault with traits, when the problem really lies moreso with emotions...
    If the emotions were removed entirely I suspect Sims would immediately begin acting pretty much the same as they did in TS3.

If the Devs ever have any intention of looking at this with an eye toward fixing the problem they need to be looking at the emotion system...not the traits. The traits are fine.
  • littlearchitectlittlearchitect Posts: 277 Member
    Hold up. Wait for Generations :D
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon__gif___fan_art__by_hazzaplumbob-dayfe38.gif
  • KeyenpeydeeKeyenpeydee Posts: 9,280 Member
    Is it just me but the character values are too slow?
    Queen of Rap, Nicki Minaj // minajsalad
    tumblr_nijden3ooM1qb9pa3o1_500.gifv

• Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    edited June 2017
    JimG72 wrote: »
    Just to test things, I tested a household with two parents, one teen, one child and one toddler. Gave the mom all the good character traits....neat, family-oriented and outgoing traits....big happy family aspiration...and put her parenting at level 8. Gave dad all bad character traits.....lazy, slob and hot-headed....mischief aspiration...and put his parenting skill at level 1. Gave the teen traits of mean and gloomy...the public enemy aspiration...and gave her 60 out of 100 on the negative scale for all character traits. Gave the child the cheerful trait and the rambunctious scamp aspiration...and gave her 30 out of 100 on the positive scale for all character traits. Gave the toddler the fussy trait...and gave her 20 out of 100 on the negative scale for all character traits.

I set everyone on full autonomy and just let the game play without any interference from me.

By the end of day 1, the super mom doled out several loving hugs to her children, had encouraged her child at the activity table, played with her child at the dollhouse on multiple occasions, left notes and drawings for the family at the bulletin board, play wrestled with the toddler, grilled up hot dogs for everyone, taught the toddler on the blocks, and cleaned all the empty dishes and garbage in the house. She even cleaned a desk a few times that didn't need to be cleaned...just because she's a neat freak. Both the teen and the child came to the mom a few times for advice...they never bothered asking lazy bad dad for anything. Meanwhile, lazy bad dad spent 90% of the day trolling on the forums. He never cleaned anything, not even his own dish. He checked on the toddler a couple of times....he also farted a few times. First thing the next morning, he went into the teen's room to troll the forums again and cut one loose while he was seated at the computer...it must have been a bad one because it woke the teen up...was she mad? Of course not, she has bad manners so she laughed about it.

As for the kids, the teen was constantly insulting her parents and her little sister. When she wasn't doing that, the teen was cursing up a storm or trolling the forums (like father, like daughter) or smashing the dollhouse. She spent so much time aggravating her little sister, who is a "cheerful" sim, that the child got into a very angry mood and started insulting her big sister back and even tried to angrily convince her that monsters are real...when that didn't work, the child had to go over to poor Blarffy and start calling him names and yelling at him to let off some steam. When she wasn't being antagonized by her older sister, the child was in a good mood and entertaining herself at the drawing/activity table and having pleasant chats with her mom and hugging the toddler. The fussy toddler had a meltdown because she got tired of playing blocks...had a meltdown because she was hungry...and just decided to throw some fits for no particular reason. She tried to smash the dollhouse once but the teen beat her to it.

And this was just one day....so please tell me again how traits don't impact anything.
    @JimG72
    either you are coloring out the not so matching behaviour or you are using mods

my sims still behave as they always did - not along their traits

i didn't want to be unjust & i did test the game once again after several months of not opening it
    & there might be some few changes to how sims behave (like prefering to read a book instead to playing on the phone) but in general the traits still don't work & are completely skewed by emotions from irrelevant sources like meeting strangers, talking to sims & decor
    the autonomous actions are still random & not matching the traits
    the wishes are generic as they always were

TS4 sims' personality just doesn't work

it might be somewhat different within the Parenthood GP but without, as i play the game - no change whatsoever, no improvent & indeed actually just broken traits

Felicity wrote: »
    Ahhh, except one thing -- hot headed sims weren't starting fights before the pack on a regular basis. I use a mod to strip away idle chatter so I see a lot more of that behavior, but apparently mean sims not having friendly chats with everyone is new.

Edit: As people play more, there will soon be all sorts of sites explaining on how to manipulate everything about this pack to get the sims you want. I just think anything that causes more spontaneous drama is a good thing -- and I'm glad something changed to enable that.
    @Felicity
    yeah, you use mods, so you don't experience this game as it is actually working & how those sims are actually programmed - broken as before

nothing was improved - it's just either mods or imagination

mean sims are still eager to befriend everybody & chat friendly right & left

i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA
  • JimG72JimG72 Posts: 1,161 Member
    Just to test things, I tested a household with two parents, one teen, one child and one toddler. Gave the mom all the good character traits....neat, family-oriented and outgoing traits....big happy family aspiration...and put her parenting at level 8. Gave dad all bad character traits.....lazy, slob and hot-headed....mischief aspiration...and put his parenting skill at level 1. Gave the teen traits of mean and gloomy...the public enemy aspiration...and gave her 60 out of 100 on the negative scale for all character traits. Gave the child the cheerful trait and the rambunctious scamp aspiration...and gave her 30 out of 100 on the positive scale for all character traits. Gave the toddler the fussy trait...and gave her 20 out of 100 on the negative scale for all character traits.

I set everyone on full autonomy and just let the game play without any interference from me.

By the end of day 1, the super mom doled out several loving hugs to her children, had encouraged her child at the activity table, played with her child at the dollhouse on multiple occasions, left notes and drawings for the family at the bulletin board, play wrestled with the toddler, grilled up hot dogs for everyone, taught the toddler on the blocks, and cleaned all the empty dishes and garbage in the house. She even cleaned a desk a few times that didn't need to be cleaned...just because she's a neat freak. Both the teen and the child came to the mom a few times for advice...they never bothered asking lazy bad dad for anything. Meanwhile, lazy bad dad spent 90% of the day trolling on the forums. He never cleaned anything, not even his own dish. He checked on the toddler a couple of times....he also farted a few times. First thing the next morning, he went into the teen's room to troll the forums again and cut one loose while he was seated at the computer...it must have been a bad one because it woke the teen up...was she mad? Of course not, she has bad manners so she laughed about it.

As for the kids, the teen was constantly insulting her parents and her little sister. When she wasn't doing that, the teen was cursing up a storm or trolling the forums (like father, like daughter) or smashing the dollhouse. She spent so much time aggravating her little sister, who is a "cheerful" sim, that the child got into a very angry mood and started insulting her big sister back and even tried to angrily convince her that monsters are real...when that didn't work, the child had to go over to poor Blarffy and start calling him names and yelling at him to let off some steam. When she wasn't being antagonized by her older sister, the child was in a good mood and entertaining herself at the drawing/activity table and having pleasant chats with her mom and hugging the toddler. The fussy toddler had a meltdown because she got tired of playing blocks...had a meltdown because she was hungry...and just decided to throw some fits for no particular reason. She tried to smash the dollhouse once but the teen beat her to it.

And this was just one day....so please tell me again how traits don't impact anything.
    @JimG72
    either you are coloring out the not so matching behaviour or you are using mods

my sims still behave as they always did - not along their traits

i didn't want to be unjust & i did test the game once again after several months of not opening it
    & there might be some few changes to how sims behave (like prefering to read a book instead to playing on the phone) but in general the traits still don't work & are completely skewed by emotions from irrelevant sources like meeting strangers, talking to sims & decor
    the autonomous actions are still random & not matching the traits
    the wishes are generic as they always were

TS4 sims' personality just doesn't work

it might be somewhat different within the Parenthood GP but without, as i play the game - no change whatsoever, no improvent & indeed actually just broken traits

Wow, I didn't realize you have access to my computer and were sitting in the room with me while the game was running, lol. I don't have any mods that affect personality....I sat here and watched what happened on full autonomy on Day 1 with no directions from me and described exactly what happened. As I stated:

Since you admittedly don't have the Parenthood pack, you don't have parenting skills or character values in your game. This is, after all, a thread entitled "Parenthood - Where Nothing Really Matters" posted in the Game Pack forum where the OP claimed that:
    I8PIKACHU wrote: »
    While Maxis says the interactions impact character values traits, tuning these to any degree does not change how your sims live. Whether you have low conflict-resolution or high conflict-resolution, you will never notice it in the short daily lives of your sims.

I did a test, by setting parenting skills and character values at different ends of the spectrum, which demonstrated that, in fact, tuning those things DID impact how my sims lived....and was something that I DID, in fact, notice a difference. Given that you don't have the Parenthood pack, no offense, but I'm not seeing how your anecdotal experiences without the pack are relevant to how the character value traits from the pack interacting with the base traits create more distinctive play. However, even before the pack, I've done tests by creating households with traits at varying ends of the spectrum and just watching them run on full autonomy to see how they play out. I noticed that even lot traits can play a role....for example, with the "cursed" lot trait, sims will randomly get a voodoo moodlet that causes them pain...and this will put just about any toddler into an angry state. But I'd love to hear some detailed information about your testing....such as a description of the exact traits for each household member, the lot traits and a description of actual things that occurred in the game....as opposed to just vague conclusions.

• GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Imho, I think some people are saying why add an feature which is passive and not active. It appears to be an wasted system and a system that does add to the game actively is could be of more use.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    Felicity wrote: »
    Ahhh, except one thing -- hot headed sims weren't starting fights before the pack on a regular basis. I use a mod to strip away idle chatter so I see a lot more of that behavior, but apparently mean sims not having friendly chats with everyone is new.

Edit: As people play more, there will soon be all sorts of sites explaining on how to manipulate everything about this pack to get the sims you want. I just think anything that causes more spontaneous drama is a good thing -- and I'm glad something changed to enable that.
    @Felicity
    yeah, you use mods, so you don't experience this game as it is actually working & how those sims are actually programmed - broken as before

nothing was improved - it's just either mods or imagination

mean sims are still eager to befriend everybody & chat friendly right & left

Yes, I use mods. Then again, I've used mods in every Sims game I've played because they all have their issues. The personalities only work (IME) as they should IF you use mods to a) remove the idle chatter and b) remove the environment "happy" buffs though I haven't tested the pack without mods so I don't know if this is still the case. I wish Maxis would fix this, but given their track record, I won't hold my breath.

However, in this case, I wasn't really talking about me so much -- other people, without mods, are saying that their sims are behaving more true to their traits. I'm not at their computers so I'm not going to tell them they're wrong.
  • JimG72JimG72 Posts: 1,161 Member
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    Imho, I think some people are saying why add an feature which is passive and not active. It appears to be an wasted system and a system that does add to the game actively is could be of more use.

And how exactly is it "passive" when you have to actively perform tasks such as disciplining kids, teaching them manners, etc. to level up the parenting skill and you also have to actively parent them to improve or decrease their character values, which eventually can result in permanent traits for them when they age up to young adult, based on said character values? What part of that is "passive"? It's actually quite the opposite. You have to put in actual effort to get those character values into a far enough range to earn the permanent trait. For testing purposes, I cheated the character values to see what the interactions would be like once the values had developed somewhat...but it takes some work to get them up or down to a significant point.
    edited June 2017
    Goldmoldar wrote: »

And how exactly is it "passive" when you have to actively perform tasks such as disciplining kids, teaching them manners, etc. to level up the parenting skill and you also have to actively parent them to improve or decrease their character values, which eventually can result in permanent traits for them when they age up to young adult, based on said character values? What part of that is "passive"? It's actually quite the opposite. You have to put in actual effort to get those character values into a far enough range to earn the permanent trait. For testing purposes, I cheated the character values to see what the interactions would be like once the values had developed somewhat...but it takes some work to get them up or down to a significant point.
    My Bad, I should have said "Maybe" and not "is". However some people have an different view than what you are seeing or experiencing. Also I was speaking in general. I am not concerned about and do not wrap myself around this trait system in Sims 3 or Sims 4. All I am looking for is to have fun being I am casually playing the game, it is an AI system this game is using and it is not perfect and never will be. I do see your point in what you are trying to convey.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,560 Member
    I've come to a conclusion about The Sims 4 - this version of the Sims franchise requires alot of imagination and pretend playing. Every new pack comes with hope - but it still feels empty. And this will be the case until the end.

It's a good job I'm very inteerested in just creating and building, as for me personally, the "cool" stuff is all the packs are good for most of the time :)

For me I had to do that more with Sims3, (use my imagination and pretend playing) to be completely honest. I'm enjoying this game very much.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
    edited June 2017
    I've come to a conclusion about The Sims 4 - this version of the Sims franchise requires alot of imagination and pretend playing. Every new pack comes with hope - but it still feels empty. And this will be the case until the end.

It's a good job I'm very interested in just creating and building, as for me personally, the "cool" stuff is all the packs are good for most of the time :)

Depends on what you looking to get out of the game, for me the game is empty without the options to edit or create lots and other tools necessary for me to expand. Basically for me I am stuck with what is given, I may not see the tools that would expand my creativity. Outside of that it is not empty, Sims 4 has improved in some areas if not at all. Out of all the GPs I am enjoying, Parenthood, and I am waiting to see what the next EP is going to be and to see if it will be just as good. :) Sims 3 for me was a good run for me with the exception of IP, shame some had an bad time with it. I just wished EA/Maxis just tweaked the game better than it did.
  • Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    @JimG72
    Since you admittedly don't have the Parenthood pack, you don't have parenting skills or character values in your game. This is, after all, a thread entitled "Parenthood - Where Nothing Really Matters" posted in the Game Pack forum where the OP claimed that:

this is a thread addressing the NO DIFFERENCE between with or without parenting

& you stated that traits are working - that general

if traits were actually working, they would be working WITHOUT the parenting GP, wouldn't they ?

so they should work AS YOU DESCRIBED, cause everything you described didn't adress anything coming specifically from the parenting GP but from TRAITS themselves

would traits work, actually work, then i would be willing to buy the Parenting GP
    but why should i buy it as long this game is not working as a sims game, where sims display the personality i've chosen for them ?

i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA
  • TheBristolSimmerTheBristolSimmer Posts: 705 Member

It's a good job I'm very inteerested in just creating and building, as for me personally, the "cool" stuff is all the packs are good for most of the time :)

To each their own. I don't understand the "pretend play" comment at all . The pack shows parents teaching their children manners and guiding them, also show the children either acting out , or learning manners, bonding with siblings or having rivalries. Im not sure what you think is having to be faked. I personally enjoy sims 4 much more than the previous iteration, but also, this pack has a lot of new dimensions . Are you basing this opinion off of personally having tried this pack? @TheBristolSimmer

Yes, I have the pack. Wouldn't be able to comment on it if I hadn't. Like you say, each to their own :) Thank you for sharing your opinion on the subject :)
    The Bristol Simmer||Find my builds and legacy updates on the gallery! Have a happy day!

68OUgVc.jpg
  • TheBristolSimmerTheBristolSimmer Posts: 705 Member

For me I had to do that more with Sims3, (use my imagination and pretend playing) to be completely honest. I'm enjoying this game very much.

I enjoy the Sims 4, but for me personally - I much more enjoyed and was more invested in the characters I created in TS3. It's great how different we all are, and how one thing can work for one and not the other :)
    The Bristol Simmer||Find my builds and legacy updates on the gallery! Have a happy day!

68OUgVc.jpg
  • liliaethliliaeth Posts: 1,087 Member

I enjoy the Sims 4, but for me personally - I much more enjoyed and was more invested in the characters I created in TS3. It's great how different we all are, and how one thing can work for one and not the other :)

I never liked the sims in sims 3 all that much. I could never bring myself to play with them for more than two sessions. They just felt so flat and boring. Whereas I've been playing with the same sims 4 family (on a long lifespan) for the past few months now, and I'm still not bored with them
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    I'd have to disagree entirely.

I find this pack to help fill in that void that's been in family's since the beginning of the game. Dunno why most thought to see instantaneous changes within the hour. I clocked in about five hours alone with the gamepack without any sort of mods that could alter sims personalities in the least and I saw quite a lot of change.

Decide to download one of the premade families from the trailer (With the mom and twins) and I was surprised with what I got. Without any influence from me, the more rebellious son decided to beat up one of the welcome wagon sims for absolutely NO reason. It was queued up for him autonomously to fight with his brother, but it canceled out and then he decided to take his frustrations out on Liberty Lee. He was literally in a bad mood ALL day until nighttime where he decided to take it out on his mother and she just wasn't putting up with it.
    tumblr_oqpchuQpD61uuiijco7_r1_400.png

Tried a family of my own and it felt a lot more hellinistic when you have a toddler, child and a teen with just a single parent. Child was a brat the majority of the time and really didn't want to be taught manners in the least in saying please and thank you always getting frustrated, toddler was constantly a little terror in being fussy and she didn't even have the fussy trait. The dad barely wanted to parent and kept getting into arguments with the teen. Definitely see more dysfunctional families coming from this pack for sure.

I personally enjoy what this game pack has brought to the table and see quite a lot of progress.
    5vJrxmT.png