March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

XQ Showcase. Latest: The Art of Charm

Comments

• NinnsterNinnster Posts: 1,215 Member
    Hey you! Congrats on the Maxis fave for Summer Sweetness! :star::star: Well deserved, it's a beautiful home :blush:
    OriginID: Ninnster

My Sims 4 Twitter
    My Sims 4 Showcase
    My Sims 4 Gallery

#EAGameChanger

"Creativity is intelligence having fun"
  • XinqunXinqun Posts: 612 Member
    Wait, what? It was still in the running? I guess everyone loves the poolboy fantasy.... Wow, thanks, guys! And thanks to @fidlerten for the initial nomination!
  • fidlertenfidlerten Posts: 7,615 Member
    You're welcom @Xinqun and congrats. :smiley:
    Signature%2005-29-17_zpsti5fd2z4.png
    Haha! Yeah, I think a nomination stands when it's made. Maxis doesn't just go through the latest posts it seems, sometimes they go back through earlier posts too :blush: I mean, my man cave room was faved like 3 weeks after that theme was finished, and long after the other entries faved for that week. A complete blindside, so you never know :)

The only negative with Summer Sweetness is that the poolboy should have been included :p haha

My Sims 4 Twitter
    My Sims 4 Showcase
    My Sims 4 Gallery

#EAGameChanger

• yanti68yanti68 Posts: 19,017 Member
    Love Old Glory! Great design and roof work! Look so authentic! <3
    Thanks, @yanti68 !
  • FoundMarblesFoundMarbles Posts: 448 Member

Fabulous Builds, one and all!!
    "Practice kindness all day to everybody and you will realize you’re already in heaven now." Jack Kerouac
    Thanks, @FoundMarbles . I'm kind of separated from my Sims-enabled PC for the moment, but I expect to start building (and posting) again next week.
    Gallery link: Place Alexandre-Schaunard

AS01.jpg

I actually first built this over a year ago, before I got my hands on "Get Together"; at the time I was using the Stucco Sandwich wall finish to simulate the half-timbering--I think we all were--but now that I have "Get Together" and all the half-timbering finishes that come with it, I went in and did a bit of remodelling. I do think the "old" part of the house looks a lot more convincing with the new half-timbered finish!

Here's the description I gave the house on the gallery: "Once the home of starving Bohemians, this old Tudor cottage has been upgraded with a new, double-height music room extension and could be the dream home for a musically inclined family. They say the house is home to spirits, or gnomes, or domovoi, who remember the original Bohemian residents and will fix any broken object in exchange for a sweet melody."

The house's "thing", of course, is the music room. And I was having a hard time figuring out a name until I wrote that bit about starving Bohemians ... that was when I thought to name it for Alexandre Schaunard, the musician in the artistic set described in Henry Murger's "Scènes de la Vie Bohème". (Thing I didn't know until half an hour ago: Henry Murger actually spelled his name "Henry" with a Y, the English way, instead of "Henri", even though he was writing in French.)

But enough about feckless, shiftless Bohemians who never pay their Rent. Pictures!

AS02.jpg

Another thing I did was flesh out the back yard. I'm glad I did; I was actually going to just upload to the gallery without all those trees and flowers and outdoor furniture. But now I think this is my favourite image of life at Place Alexandre-Schaunard.

Images of the layout:
    First storey:
    AS03.jpg

Second storey:
    AS04.jpg

Interior images:
    View from the music room:
    AS05.jpg

View across the living and dining:
    AS06.jpg

Kitchen:
    AS07.jpg

Children's room, which is not predominantly green:
    AS08.jpg
  • withlovejulienwithlovejulien Posts: 588 Member
    Looks really good! Love the double story music room!
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,522 Member
    The exterior design of Place Alexandre-Schaunard looks so very nice! :) It is a very nice Tuder style home! The exterior wall textures give a great look to the home! The sun wall decor is a nice touch. The flower beds on the edges of the home look so very pretty! The fish water fountains feature is very nice! Nice art nook upper balcony for sims to enjoy painting is the outdoors air. Very nice backyard garden areas! The flowers look very pretty there also! Very nice outdoors dining area. Sims will enjoy cooking meals on the BBQ and eating outdoors on the seat benches in the nice floral setting. Kids will have fun playing on the monkey bars. Very nice layout and furnishing of the interior of the home! The two storey music room looks so very nice! Sims will enjoy playing the piano there, with sunshine coming in through the windows. The brown colour scheme of the interior looks very nice. Very nice fireplace sitting area in the living room . The sofa and armchairs look nice placed in a semi circle near the fire, and the bookcases look great either sides of the fireplace. Sims will enjoy sitting resting there reading books and watching tv. The type and placement of the curtains looks so nice! The flooring texture in the dining area suits well the home. Very nice design of the kitchen! The brick wall texture, the flooring type and the placement of the cabinets looks very great! The old stove is great to use, Sims will enjoy looking out through the kitchen windows whilst preparing meals. Very nice furnishing of the kids bedroom! The science table is there but the colour scheme of the room isn't green! The teddy is cute! The kids will enjoy playing the violin or doing artwork on the activity table.
    The home is very nice! :)
    Thanks, @withlovejulien , @rosemow . @rosemow , I'm both touched and impressed that you remember how my thing about green kid's rooms comes from the green-only science table, given how many builds you must see every day!
    How great that you went back to a previous build to make some improvements with all your new "stuff" :wink:

I really like the exterior, and I love the idea of it being an old house with a newer addition. Clever! I agree that outdoor shot of the garden is great, sometimes you just land a really great shot like that :blush: The landscaping is understated, but all the more beautiful. I love the simple little BBQ and the benches.

The kitchen in particular speaks to me, I think it's the brown cabinets combined with the brick. The floor looks great to, I noticed it's stone floors on the first floor, and it looks great with the different textures in the different areas. The music room is great, such a wonderful open feel. Must be a room to get the creative juices flowing for any musically inclined Sim :wink:

The kids room looks great, and in beige/brown even! Yup, because I did notice. You know I did. That it's not green I mean. You should experiment more. Green can certainly look good with a combination of colors :blush:

My Sims 4 Twitter
    My Sims 4 Showcase
    My Sims 4 Gallery

#EAGameChanger

Thanks, @Laebeth ! I think we both agree that these rustic, brick-lined kitchens are the absolute best. And yeah, I'm consciously choosing now to ignore the green-ness of the science table in favour of other colours when decorating the kids' rooms.
    Gallery link: The Green Lion Inn

GL01.jpg

Looks like I've started meddling with Windenburg ... the Green Lion Inn takes the place of the Old Quarter Inn in my game. I just figured a proper inn ought to have bedrooms for rent. (Apparently there are over 600 pubs in England called "The Red Lion". Of course I had to go green instead.)

As is usual for my builds, there's extra space leftover for ... whatever.
    GL02.jpg

More pictures:
    First storey:
    GL03.jpg

Second storey:
    GL04.jpg

Interiors:
    GL05.jpg
    GL06.jpg
    GL07.jpg

The challenge with Windenburg's Old Quarter is that everything is paved. This makes for a rather different relationship between the building and its surroundings. I like my greenery....
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,522 Member
    edited June 2017
    The exterior design of The Green Lion Inn us very nice! :) It is a very nice Tuder style inn! The flower box windows look pretty and nice ourdoors nook area for sims to enjoy having a drink at the tables in the outdoors air. Very nice ourdoors patio for sims to have fun playing chess or enjoy sitting on the seat benches in the sunshine. Very nice layout and furnishing of the interior of the inn! The bar area looks very nice! The drinks cabinet looks great on the wall. Sims will enjoy sitting on the stools having a drink from the bar and a chat. They will have fun playing darts or foosball. The fireplace gives a warming and welcoming feel to the inn. It looks nice how the tables and chairs have been set up in the fireplace and games nook area. The penants, pictures and teapot shelf are nice touches on the walls, Very nice upper nook sitting area for sims to enjoy watching tv together there. The grandfather clock is a very nice homely touch there, It is great that sims can stay and sleep at the Inn.
    It is a very nice Inn for Windenburg ! :)
  • fidlertenfidlerten Posts: 7,615 Member
    Looks great @Xinqun. Definitely takes you back a century but with a modern update, such as the TV, etc. Faved.
    Signature%2005-29-17_zpsti5fd2z4.png
  • withlovejulienwithlovejulien Posts: 588 Member
    Love the pub area and the pictures with banners above them! Inn definitely sounds like it should have rooms for rent!
    Thanks, @withlovejulien ! At the very least, they're somewhere you can deposit your dead-drunk patrons after last call.
    edited June 2017
    Oh Windenburg! Tudor! I love that style (as you might have guessed since my last build was one of them). So much personality in those old stone buildings.

I very much agree an inn should have bedrooms for rent. In fact, I didn't know they existed without them? To me an inn has rooms for rent, and if it doesn't it's just a pub.. haha. But perhaps that's just me.

Love the interior, simple but still capturing the right atmosphere. The bar area looks great, with plenty of space for customers to sit down, and plenty of chairs to be knocked over someones head.. right? :wink: That upstairs lounge looks wonderful, and I agree the banners over the photos are a lovely touch.

Oh and I get what you are saying with the pavement.. I mean, for Tudor especially you want some landscaping!

My Sims 4 Twitter
    My Sims 4 Showcase
    My Sims 4 Gallery

#EAGameChanger

Thanks, @Laebeth ! I tried doing something residential in another of the paved-over areas of Windenburg and posted it to the "Affordable Family Housing" thread. There's some interesting stuff in the existing builds that came with this world, but I almost always itch to change something or other.
    edited June 2017
    Yes! You know I actually saw that house, haha! I lurk in that thread every now and then. I was there having a look, and noticed your house. I actually came to your showcase to see if you had it posted here too, and then realized I had forgotten about your inn :p

My Sims 4 Twitter
    My Sims 4 Showcase
    My Sims 4 Gallery

#EAGameChanger

Gallery link: Buttonmasher Cafe

bc01.jpg

In real life, I rather enjoy sitting around in cafes, but when I brought my sims to one in Windenburg, I found there was very little to do aside from ordering a coffee. So I decided to build a new cafe and stuff it full of distractions: video games, chess tables, a busker's corner, computer stations, and so on. You can see this is an older building with some modern refurbishings in the form of a new front entrance and a few big double-doors all around. And also free high-speed wifi, because in this day and age, what kind of cafe doesn't have wifi?

Views of the back and the exterior seating:
    bc02.jpg
    bc03.jpg

More pictures
    Main floor layout. I originally hade the fireplace/living area on the right and the arcade on the left, and the whole building was pushed up against the left side of the lot. Then, in playtesting, I realised that food orders were delivered to that left-hand corner of the counter, which meant that had to be the centre of the coffee-indulging area of the layout.
    bc04.jpg

Upstairs layout. There's the manager's office and the bathrooms; the rest is all double-height space for the cafe and arcade downstairs.
    bc05.jpg

Interior shots of people enjoying coffee! There's the Avant-Gardes club ... I think they took every single one of the books out of the bookcase and left them lying around on all the tables.
    bc06.jpg
    bc07.jpg
    bc08.jpg

This build replaces South Square Coffee in my game.