Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why EA can't launch TS5

MazakeenMazakeen Posts: 440 Member
I am worried due to the Judicial System.

What if... ...some clever brainiac look at all the mods out there, that build on and improve TS3 vastly, think, hmmm, this just must be added into the next iteration... ...Then the EA lawyers comes shuffling their feet... ...Nope, no, njetski, niet, nein. "-We don't own the rights"... :( -After all there are modders out there stringently waiting to make money... ...-Like EA and their lawyers...

TL;DR -I think business is bad for game-development.

-Any other inputs to why TS3-redux is impossible?
ie62Ymx.jpg
Rawwrr...

Comments

• SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    Wot??
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    this honestly has to be one of the most incoherent things i've ever read
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Faerie197Faerie197 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Actually, it wouldn't be the first time a mod has been added into a game as a core mechanic. Just off the top of my head, WoW didn't have a good waypoint/quest tracker originally. There was a third party program someone made to fix that issue. One of the patches then added the functionality o that 3rd party program into WoW. As I recall, didn't the ability to build a settlement in Fallout 4 originate as a popular mod for Fallout 3? Or was that a mod for Fallout New Vegas?

But even without adding functionality and features that originated in TS3 mods, there's nothing that says they couldn't make a good TS5. What they did with TS4 though makes me wary. I'm not entirely sure the people at EA in general, and Maxis specifically understand why the first three Sims games were a hit, and why Sims 3 is still so popular despite the new game.

Then again, EA is known these days for their yearly releases of CoD and various sports franchises which barely differ from previous releases in said franchises. So it's equally possible that if a Sims 5 got released, it would basically be Sims 4.2... EA, please note, that is NOT a suggestion.
    Fear not the fae, for they are harmless. Anger not the fae, beware their wraith. Harm not the fae, fear the Faerie Knight.
  • MazakeenMazakeen Posts: 440 Member
    @CyrusTheLoser - Please enlighten me why you find it incoherent. I am interested in if you disagree, or if I am 'just' incoherent in my wording.
    ie62Ymx.jpg
    Rawwrr...
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    Mazakeen wrote: »
    @CyrusTheLoser - Please enlighten me why you find it incoherent. I am interested in if you disagree, or if I am 'just' incoherent in my wording.

Sorry, I should have explained.
    It's a little bit of both for me. If I'm understanding what you're saying correctly though, this would never be an issue from a developing standpoint because mods created for this game aren't the legal property of the mod creator, as far as I know.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited June 2017
    I don't know very many sims mod developers who are looking to make money. There may be a couple of odd exceptions out there, but for most the game and the development they add to it are hobbies, not intended to be sources of income. Anyone who creates any kind of content for sims games must realize that they don't actually "own" the content themselves exclusively. It's all in the EULA there someplace.

Do you really think anyone at NRaas would be upset if this theoretical TS5 included some form of MasterController or Overwatch out of the box? We would be thrilled if they did that (and if it worked properly, of course). :)

But I had difficulty understanding the top post as well, so my response may not be addressing what the OP was trying to say.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    @CyrusTheLoser - Thank You.
    Yes, i agree, that thought, of overly careful lawyers might be over the top. -After all, I don't know them. I just 'feel' they might want to avoid any possible future situation where they might get caught up in a 'judicial net'.

Particularily in the US, it is popular to make some sort of lawsuit, wether the coffee is 'to hot' or 'got the wrong colour'...

I guess, My mind made a semi-troll-thread, on a quest for some lively reactions.

As it is now, modders are happy to have stuff integrated, -but what if... (devils advocate) ...a modder comes and demand engine-crucial stuff to be removed, or to have a hefty reprise to let EA keep it... ...I see many resources lost in a US court.

-Just saying... ...-No triggering intended.
    ie62Ymx.jpg
    Rawwrr...
  • Dusty_BootsDusty_Boots Posts: 236 Member
    I've seen hundreds of variations on the subject of who can/can't do what with mods and/or who owns them. It always comes down to...

A modder is an end-user. End-users do not own the assets nor the code itself. These are all covered by IP Rights. With the IP owner's permission they can utilize these assets only under the conditions set out in the end-user agreement. Mods are part of that agreement. A modder can't mod poop without the assets/code. See rule #1.

A game dev can use inspiration from any mod they see & like, and they do it more often these days. Still, few devs are willing to blatantly incorporate user-made mods without some form of consideration to the modder(s). That would be a dandy way to cut the legs off your product.
    igazor wrote: »
    Do you really think anyone at NRaas would be upset if this theoretical TS5 included some form of MasterController or Overwatch out of the box? We would be thrilled if they did that (and if it worked properly, of course). :)

I'd happily pay MOAR if they were to utilize the clever mods/fixes from NRaas! B)
    And as I mentioned, there's prior history for game developers looking at a popular game mod and going "you know what, we should put that in our game."

While I personally like to reread novels I've read, I use Once Read in TS3 because otherwise my sims will read the same book fifty times and ignore everything else on the book shelf.
    Fear not the fae, for they are harmless. Anger not the fae, beware their wraith. Harm not the fae, fear the Faerie Knight.
    edited June 2017
    @igazor - Praise the ...whatever... ...I love developers with hobbies
    For many, many, years devs of any kind were(are) doing it for fun. Praise their spirits.
    As You say, -I also know some 'darkened minds'... ...They left the narrow path-of-hobby and, well, they aren't doing that good.

Maybe Sims3 is just to advanced to remake? -I don't know? Not many left of the original developers.
    ie62Ymx.jpg
    Rawwrr...
    @Faerie197 and @Dusty_Boots.

Good arguements. I must concede. The EULA covers a lot. (I am scandinavian, I read, at most, manuals... ...not ownership-stuff). :#
    ie62Ymx.jpg
    Rawwrr...
    @Faerie197 and @Dusty_Boots.

Good arguements. I must concede. The EULA covers a lot. (I am scandinavian, I read, at most, manuals... ...not ownership-stuff). :#

If modders had clear rights to the content/concept of their creations there would be many instances of profiteering and/or legal action. As it is, the rare website paywalls we sometimes encounter to access the mods are a loophole in that.

If you're still involved in gaming when you hit my age you'll have seen every twist of this argument there is, and then promptly forget half of what you'd read :p
  • HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    edited June 2017
    We're all just leasing games and EULA's clearly state that everything associated with the game belongs to EA. So no worries about incorporating mods into a new game on that front. This is why there was (and in some quarters still is), a huge deal made about whether modders should be paid for their efforts. That said, HOLY MOLEY are TS4 modders a greedy bunch!

The real issue is how expensive a particular feature would be for developers to add, and whether or not it fits their given 'vision' for a particular game. Judging by recent efforts, they're seeking ways to simplify and make developing the game easier so I don't have much hope for a fully featured Sims game coming down the pike. Sad to say it, but that's what I think.

ETA:
    igazor wrote: »
    I don't know very many sims mod developers who are looking to make money.

I take it you haven't been keeping up with popular TS4 mods these days! :D
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
    @Dusty_Boots - Oh, aye. Been there so long, I believe people hardly remember the 'modern' internet was only black text on a white screen. -These days a modder might use paywalls (fair enough), but some also adds a serious amount of popup-windows with hidden buttons and whatnot. -With the argument, -I can, why not. -More monnies for 'me'... ...Being oldskool, I still have (unneccesary) issues with banners.

Those twists of arguments is propably one reason why I made this thread. The evolusion of internet and ways of making money, also make (some) part-time modders partly inclined to considering what I would call 'stalling progression'. Not because they 'have to', but they can.

I have, as a digression to the topic, seen people insisting on 'freedom of speech'. Well, yeah. They might be legally entitled to call me [bleeep], but they don't have to, -purely out of respect.

I am just afraid, (exluding the EULA), that lawyers/modders will get their plum in a back-gear when a sound franchise ought to develop into a new, potential, fantastastic version/iteration.

-But back to original question, is there other reasons we'll never see a proper TS3(5)?
    ie62Ymx.jpg
    Rawwrr...
    If Sims 4 sells poorly or has bad retention (this poor DLC sales) this could convince EA that there is no longer any interest in a new Sims game. Which isn't true, of course. But marketing is probably watching the sales for TS4, not TS3 to decide if they should make a fifth game in the core series. Which if true is a shame. TS3 is an awesome game. TS4, not so much.
  • 1need4kaffee1need4kaffee Posts: 486 Member
    The lack of content in TS4 has kept me playing TS3. Even after 4 years they don't have much available and it seems to be slowing down. I may try it again in another year or so after a few more packs are available. Maybe I can get used to the closed worlds and inability to progress sims unless they are all on the same lot. Which really calls for longer lives since they age while home alone doing NOTHING - but the longest life available is too short so you have to play with aging off to be able to create well rounded sims and give each sufficient time to grow...in a stagnant town where everyone else has aged up and died.... Hmmm. I may have issues. :#
  • KurotardKurotard Posts: 380 Member
    I can't make out any coherent conversation here. All I want is a Sims game that takes what made The Sims 2 and 3 good games and put that into play. No gimmicks, just a good game is all I ask of. Bring back CAS, proper neighborhoods, add in circular walls (why don't we have these yet??), and this time don't forget a life stage and a pool.
  • TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    I am just afraid, (exluding the EULA), that lawyers/modders will get their plum in a back-gear when a sound franchise ought to develop into a new, potential, fantastastic version/iteration.

I don't see this being an issue at all. Excluding provisions in the EULA for the moment, a competent lawyer wouldn't just shuffle her feet and say "No." A competent lawyer would be able to examine the mod in question, determine which rights (if any) the modder holds, and be able to advise EA how to add the feature without infringing on the modder's rights. I assume the 'rights' you are referring to are copyrights. You cannot copyright an idea (at least in the U.S.). You can only copyright the artistic expression of the idea. I doubt it would be very difficult for EA to do its own artistic expression of a mod feature to add that idea to a future sims game. Also remake of TS3 would might be an entirely different computer language (and hopefully 64 bit), and have an entirely new UI, look, etc., so it's not likely EA could use the actual code of the mod.

Also, EA has done this before. TS2 had a ton of mods. Some of those mods added features like assignable beds and ways to control which townies could visit a given community lot. EA has added both those features to TS3. I haven't heard that TS3 suffered from any issues between TS2 modders and lawyers in its development; I'm not aware of any precedence for this concern. If it was a valid concern then I think it would have come up already.

But, as others have said, it's almost certainly a moot point due to the EULA.
    -But back to original question, is there other reasons we'll never see a proper TS3(5)?

Possibly a fundamental move by consumers to mobile gaming (i.e. phones and tablets). If desktops and gaming worthy laptops go the way of the dodo bird, expansive games like a remake of TS3 as TS5 might not come to pass. I don't know how well consoles could really do a game like TS3 justice.
  • Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    It's possible that the modding community has had some impact on short term decisions such as prioritizing bug fixes and (perhaps to a certain extent) feature rollouts, but I highly doubt they are a consideration when it comes to long term planning for the franchise.

Anything a modder makes for the game is technically the property of EA so they could literally back engineer anything they want, add it to the game and never pay modders a nickel.

As far as modders banding together to try and present some type of competition, I suppose anything's possible, but I think people vastly underestimate the amount of resources it would take for starters, then there is the problem of creating a game close enough to the Sims model to pose a threat. Come too close, and there is the potential for lawsuits. Not close enough and it can't really be considered a threat to usurp the Sims customer base.

The Sims will probably remain a monopoly forever, and as long as it keeps making money they will keep 'em comin'.
    @TreyNutz - Can You assure me the rights of 'Intellectual Property' cannot stay with modders that came up with the 'thought' of a function? (comparative to trademarks and copyrights?)
    ie62Ymx.jpg
    Rawwrr...
  • Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    edited June 2017
    The lack of content in TS4 has kept me playing TS3. Even after 4 years they don't have much available and it seems to be slowing down. I may try it again in another year or so after a few more packs are available. Maybe I can get used to the closed worlds and inability to progress sims unless they are all on the same lot. Which really calls for longer lives since they age while home alone doing NOTHING - but the longest life available is too short so you have to play with aging off to be able to create well rounded sims and give each sufficient time to grow...in a stagnant town where everyone else has aged up and died.... Hmmm. I may have issues. :#

This comment is just oozing with innacuracies.
    Even after 4 years
    (It's been 2 1/2)
    Maybe I can get used to the closed world
    They are semi-open neighborhoods. TS1 & TS2 were closed.
    and inability to progress sims unless they are all on the same lot
    This is a problem with TS3 not TS4. If you play TS3 without mods you can only play one family per save file.
    In TS4 you can rotate through all of your households and progress them together on the same file.
    Which really calls for longer lives since they age while home alone doing NOTHING
    You may find loading screens so abhorrant that you keep your Sims sitting at home but for the rest of us this is not the reality, your Sims are free to travel.
    but the longest life available is too short so you have to play with aging off to be able to create well rounded sims and give each sufficient time to grow...in a stagnant town where everyone else has aged up and died..

If you play a semi regular rotation everyone ages at roughly the same rate with the exception of the townies.
    The longest lifespan is more than long enough to accomplaish every goal for every life stage for every family as long as you play with aging on for the current house and aging off for everyone else.
  • TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    @TreyNutz - Can You assure me the rights of 'Intellectual Property' cannot stay with modders that came up with the 'thought' of a function? (comparative to trademarks and copyrights?)

In the U.S. there are no generalized "Intellectual Property" rights. IP rights are either under copyright law, patent law, trademark law, and possibly trade secret law in some cases. The only area a modder might have an IP right that I can imagine would be under copyright law. And as I said before, in the U.S. you cannot copyright an idea. The distinction between an idea and the artistic expression of that idea is not always easily to make though. All you have to go by is prior court decisions. This is where a lawyer would come in and analyze the specific situation. I don't know much about U.S. copyright law, and even less about European copyright law. I doubt it would be much of an issue without the EULA, but, of course, any competent lawyer would advise an EULA just to be safe.
  • JiminnieJiminnie Posts: 165 Member
    ...Whoa.
    a10be189d14688d50e674c23d0ce222a073d7420_hq.gif
    "My blood sweat and tears, my last dance- take them."
    Origin ID: Eommaya