Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

ASPIRATIONS

I also posted this in another forum but cant move it here.

It would be great if we could have aspirations associated with all careers, profession, self employment work and all new content you have released since Outdoor Retreat. I've asked many times but we haven't had a single new aspiration that had any depth or replay ability since the game released. the ones that came with Outdoor Retreat were OK, but all the new content that has been released without one really needs it, i got bored with the game after GTW came out without them and haven't played since.

Ideally it would be great to have one associated with: Detective, Photography, Baker, Stay at home mom just to name a few. Also, not sure it has been fixed yet as i haven't played but when you did own a shop you were called as unemployed. A shop owner title would be great.

But mainly the game needs new aspirations urgently. Pretty Pretty Please.
Please please please can we have more aspirations.

Comments

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    This is the first game since Aspirations that there seems to be a satisfied attitude with what we have in this game. I'm at a loss to understand why the two EPs didn't come with their own aspirations *(brand new ones) and not just tag on to one that already exist.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    I think it's because aspirations are really just a method of farming satisfaction points so you can buy more traits. They don't really 'define' a sim seeing as you can chop and change them. All my sims basically end up completing the same aspirations that I find 'easy' and 'quick' to complete so I can get the traits that make my sims needs freeze or decline slower etc.
    I would like to have some new ones though, just for interests sake.
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    NZsimm3r wrote: »
    I think it's because aspirations are really just a method of farming satisfaction points so you can buy more traits. They don't really 'define' a sim seeing as you can chop and change them. All my sims basically end up completing the same aspirations that I find 'easy' and 'quick' to complete so I can get the traits that make my sims needs freeze or decline slower etc.

Each aspiration has a reward trait for completion though.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

True, but for me it's still more about Steel Bladder and traits like that. :)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • NikkioneNikkione Posts: 113 Member
    edited February 2016
    For me, I like playing through and completing all aspirations in my legacy games. It might be my RPG gaming that has made me like completing them but its gives me other things to do in game, as otherwise, I personally find just playing or building can get really boring. In the Sims 3, Legacies used to be how I played it and each generation could have their own thing to do so as to not getting repetitive. Its not just about the rewards, though they do help some hehe. Basically i like having goals to achieve within the game but this version of the sims doesnt have many :(
    Yeah, at first I definitely played to achieve the goals/complete the aspirations. I guess because I have completed them all so many times that I just don't use them that way anymore. Mostly my sims will complete one or two for satisfaction points and then I basically ignore them for the rest of the time I pay with that particular sim.

• imhappyimhappy Posts: 1,988 Member
    I was thinking of playing more with the new, exciting rooms that the sims can earn. I always seem to forget to purchase them. I also forget about the items they earn from careers. Do others play with those?
  • KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    I want more than four aspirations for kids.
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

But it's getting old to have so many Sims (if you play rotationally) and all have the same reward nine times out of teen..or 'bonus' trait. There aren't enough choices after a year. But it would seem Maxis thinks we have a wide range to choose when all my wind up as nerd brains. That is getting really old.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    I also don't like that choosing an aspiration automatically gives sims an extra trait.
  • celticbardcelticbard Posts: 180 Member
    I just started playing TS4 about a month ago (I’m a newbie to the game as well as to the forums, haha) so replay value hasn’t been an issue for me so far. I only have one Sim that I’ve been playing with, just because I got extremely attached to her and became obsessed with completing as many of the Aspirations and Skills as possible. To be perfectly honest, when I create a new Sim (which I intend to do within the next few days) I’m not sure how interested I would be in repeating all the same Aspirations. I could definitely see it getting boring. It would be nice if new Aspirations/Skills were released with upcoming new content or if Aspirations could change depending on the Sim you create and what his/her personality is like and what his/her interests are.

For example, my Sim is a Music Lover and she completed the Music Aspiration very early on in the game and became a level 10 musician in her career as well. Now, she has very little cause to play her instruments. It would be interesting if the game had an option to build upon her personality beyond her career and one single Aspiration. Currently, there doesn’t seem to be any reason for her to be a Music Lover, if I’m being honest. That’s just my opinion, of course. I’m still working on completing the other Aspirations, so I’m not bored yet, although I can certainly see why you, @Nikkione , feel like the Aspirations aspect is repetitive.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,518 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    But it's getting old to have so many Sims (if you play rotationally) and all have the same reward nine times out of teen..or 'bonus' trait. There aren't enough choices after a year. But it would seem Maxis thinks we have a wide range to choose when all my wind up as nerd brains. That is getting really old.
    I've never really taken much notice of aspirations before this week. I don't fulfill them, I just ignore them.

But I just started an excel chart for something I'm doing in-game and I'm compiling all the sims info from each hood - and it is just SO repetitive! I can't believe that so many sims have to share the same aspiration as there are so few of them. Traits don't seem much better, but at least there is a slightly bigger choice of those.
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I've never really taken much notice of aspirations before this week. I don't fulfill them, I just ignore them.

But I just started an excel chart for something I'm doing in-game and I'm compiling all the sims info from each hood - and it is just SO repetitive! I can't believe that so many sims have to share the same aspiration as there are so few of them. Traits don't seem much better, but at least there is a slightly bigger choice of those.
    But those quickly get reptitive too. It's no wonder you're only allowed to have three at a time. I use custom traits as well. Unfortunately, there aren't many custom aspirations.
  • mljones88mljones88 Posts: 272 Member
    What type of aspirations would you like to see paired with what bonus traits?

I'm just as disappointed, but don't know alternatives to make it better or rounded out.

How about an aspiration geared toward money made from creations? I make a LOT of money from book sales and that's tied to the writer aspiration. ..same for music and painting. I don't think any exist for woodworking, fishing, baking...etc
    Well, we now have a grilled cheese aspiration. Whoop-dee-doo. :expressionless:

That was one of the few things about Sims 2 I hated.
    edited February 2016
    For one i would like one for each new profession/Career/Self Employment follwoing the basics of the ones they have now like career lvl etc. for Stores, it could be cash earned,customers served, staff lvls etc. I know they arent amazing but it makes it more fun to play them without having to do family aspirations or just the plain cash ones and it would makes doing all the shop/retail stuff fun. Also for the Doctor/Detective career as well.
  • mljones88mljones88 Posts: 272 Member
    Nikkione, what rewards do you see to make the aspiration goals worth the effort?
    edited February 2016
    The same as what they have now but more specified, i.e. owning a shop or being a detective or doctor. Or like how it worked in The Sims 3. Which had lots of aspirations. I will leave those ideas to the game designers to come up with more specifics.
    edited February 2016
    mljones88 wrote: »
    What type of aspirations would you like to see paired with what bonus traits?

I'm just as disappointed, but don't know alternatives to make it better or rounded out.

How about an aspiration geared toward money made from creations? I make a LOT of money from book sales and that's tied to the writer aspiration. ..same for music and painting. I don't think any exist for woodworking, fishing, baking...etc

Just as an example I don't understand why they didn't add "Own a Business" to the Wealth Aspiration. And they could have given a new bonus trait with it. I mean who thought up Fifteen Windows equaled a Mansion? Give another Bonus trait and aspiration for Wealth.

Or Why they didn't add a new aspiration to Become Chief Of Police. And with that one add a new "Justice" bonus trait" A Sim who if they had this trait would defend those being mistreated from all those overly spawned mischievous actions. Etc.

I can go on all day of what they could have done with GTW. Like 'Own a Five Star Bakery" Aspiration. And a bonus trait of natural cook...everything turns out perfect no matter/ Never burns anything and never starts a fire, Without Any skill at all and special desserts without having to be in the culinary aspiration.

That's Four new aspirations and four new bonus traits right there for just one EP.

ETA: Forgot number four. Become Chief of Staff at the Hospital. It would have made perfect sense.

• BrownGamerGurl1BrownGamerGurl1 Posts: 1,136 Member
    I miss the sims 2 style aspirations. It was better when not fulfilling aspirations caused chaos and you couldn't just change them at will. It would be nice to go back to that.
  • LoveMeHateMeLoveMeHateMe Posts: 40 Member
    I don't understand the lack of aspirations. Especially with GTW. What about Dine Out? I don't think there are any related to owning a restaraunt either.
  • kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    I miss the sims 2 style aspirations. It was better when not fulfilling aspirations caused chaos and you couldn't just change them at will. It would be nice to go back to that.

I would kill for the return of Aspiration Failure.

It really gave the Wants/Needs/Whims system a sense of progression. I never complete Whims because they're so pointless, but in 2, they felt like a vital gameplay mechanic because they'd lead to Platinum Mood if you fulfilled them, or Aspiration Failure if you didn't.
    wJbomAo.png
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    kwanzaabot wrote: »

I would kill for the return of Aspiration Failure.

It really gave the Wants/Needs/Whims system a sense of progression. I never complete Whims because they're so pointless, but in 2, they felt like a vital gameplay mechanic because they'd lead to Platinum Mood if you fulfilled them, or Aspiration Failure if you didn't.

So much this^

Whims and aspirations are entirely pointless in TS4. Some may disagree, but the bottom line is that both can be ignored for the entirety of your Sims life and there will be no consequence for that, but if you complete them there's really no direct benefit to your Sim either.

Sims 2 had such a brilliant system where wants/fears were directly intertwined with your Sims aspirations and together both together had a direct impact on your Sim and their lifetime happiness.

From Day 1 I have felt that both whims and aspirations were something they added toward the end because the game was pretty void of content and gameplay and they needed to mask that with lots of goals to make it look like there was a lot to accomplish. Creating a checklist of goals is arguably one of the laziest approaches to gameplay, and given how none of the aspiration goals change and whims are more or less random, it's just a really bad setup that doesn't make playing through either enjoyable, especially if you have completed it once already.
  • TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    edited June 2017
    I completely agree that we need way more Aspirations than we have! I want one for every skill and career, and also creative ones that combine two of these, the way Nerd Brain does. That would be great for rewarding Simmers who have multiple packs with crossover, too - imagine an aspiration that combined Herbalism and Wellness for players who have Outdoor Retreat and Spa Day, or that combines Singing and Dancing if you have City Living and Get Together.

Aspirations would be more enjoyable to replay if there were multiple ways to complete a single aspiration. Imagine if the "Happy Family" aspiration, instead of making you repeat "Read to Child for 2 Hours" every time, gave you the option to do that, OR play with a child on the jungle gym, OR become friends with 4 of your children, OR help a child with homework for two hours. That would give you way more incentive to replay aspirations and to mix and match the different requirements for completion.
  • BrownGamerGurl1BrownGamerGurl1 Posts: 1,136 Member
    There aren't enough aspirations, or good enough incentive to complete them.

More aspirations and traits are essential to creating the perfect character.