Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I want to be able to play TS3 again

13...Next

Comments

• Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I've always saved my games with save as and often to different file names though I can overwrite it sometimes and I'll save and quit with save as before selecting quit and exiting without saving again.I won't ever use the regular save except in a brand new game when I've just loaded that town up for the first time.
    I do play a game loaded with thousands of package files of CC and with over 600 Mod files installed though 109 of them are NRaas files.I've been playing in windowed mode to keep track of how long I played so I don't end up with marathon sessions.I'm playing with the full collection on my laptop and use an older version of the save cleaner if I need to clean a save out.I also installed a Mod to remove the NPC social workers as they made three of my older saves corrupt be taking children away.I got a town full of glitched family trees with pets,vehicles and household objects showing up as family members.One save had everybody in careers for wrong age groups like my toddler in law enforcement while his sister was in the military and she was a child.I lost that one with a save error.The last one had age flags glitch out and sims died because they glitched.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    edited May 2017
    aricarai wrote: »
    Thanks @igazor and everyone else. I'm going back in game for another session after a few hour break. I do delete my cache files every time before I launch the game but I'll go delete the DCBackup stuff now and see if there a difference.

Save and then quit. Keep play time far less than 10 hours...got it! :mrgreen:

If you delete your dcbackup folder contents, then any Store content you put into your builds will not export into your Sims3pack and therefore won't appear on the lot when others download it.

Since I know you are a builder I thought I should paraphrase what igazor said in case you missed that part.
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • Options
    aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    edited May 2017
    Thanks @igazor and everyone else. I'm going back in game for another session after a few hour break. I do delete my cache files every time before I launch the game but I'll go delete the DCBackup stuff now and see if there a difference.

Save and then quit. Keep play time far less than 10 hours...got it! :mrgreen:

If you delete your dcbackup folder contents, then any Store content you put into your builds will not export into your Sims3pack and therefore won't appear on the lot when others download it.

Since I know you are a builder I thought I should paraphrase what igazor said in case you missed that part.

Nooooooooooooooo! I totally missed that part! How do I fix this @HappySimmer3/@igazor?
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    @aricarai - Oh no, sorry if we weren't clear enough on that! The answer (easier said than done) would be to put the files back. If they are totally gone, perhaps you have a recent backup of your entire TS3 game folder that you can copy them from?

If none of the above, I believe you would have to reinstall all of your sims3pack content in order for the DCBackup files to regenerate. But let's see if anyone here has a niftier shortcut than that.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    I don't know of any other way to do that other than to restore a backup, I'm afraid. I'm sorry I didn't see this thread earlier as I would have warned you right away as soon as you said you were planning to delete the contents of that folder. :/

As far as the lagging you are experiencing, you should start a new thread maybe to explain more details of that to see if anyone has suggestions. Which world are you playing? Do you have wild animals running around? How large is the population? What have you tried so far to fix the problem? etc., etc.
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    I have uploaded lots with store content, but I have never had anyone ever report that the content hasn't appeared in the lot in their game. Unless they don't actually own the item.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    @igazor - I did look in there before going in game earlier and some files regenerated but not all of them. I haven't emptied my recycle bin so hopefully I should be able to restore them.

Let's see what happens when I restore them.

@Pary- that's good to know that no one has reported missing store items.

@HappySimmer3 - the most recent crashes were in Sunset Valley and Moonlight Falls. I was in CAS in Sunset Valley when it said it stopped working. I don't think I was trying to save. In Moonlight Falls, it was the save and quit thing. I've started saving as now and haven't had my game stop working. Knock on wood.

These crashes are infrequent and I do save often, I just didn't think it would happen with my beast of a computer. I do have CC in my game but it's merged and there's nothing in my launcher except for store stuff. I was just a bit baffled!
  • Options
    Made a back up of my game and restored the files. I'll go in in a bit to make sure it hasn't messed anything up.
  • Options
    @igazor - can you delete script errors? There's a MDMP file, a text document and a XML document from my last crash. I don't like to be reminded of it :joy::wink:
  • Options
    @igazor - can you delete script errors? There's a MDMP file, a text document and a XML document from my last crash. I don't like to be reminded of it :joy::wink:
    Yes, the crash logs and associated memory dumps can go. They are usually not helpful in determining anything and, although not harmful by being there, are just taking up space. Script error logs such as those mods produce can also be deleted, but those will only accumulate up until there's around 10-12 of them and then begin overwriting themselves and rotating out on their own.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    1need4kaffee1need4kaffee Posts: 486 Member
    edited June 2017
    @Simasaurus09 @igazor I thought my frame rate was capped (see NVidia screen shot), but I kept seeing small tears in the grass. Then I set a cabinet to a 45 degree angle and merged it with another cabinet snapped to grid. It is tearing, blinking, whatever you want to call it. So I checked the FPS and it is hitting between 180 and 225. I play full screen, so supposedly the NVidia control panel should work. The screenshot from Simasaurus09 shows a TS3.exe and I have a launcher.exe. Is that because I am on the latest version tied to the launcher or is there a hidden .exe file I need to find?
    http://s291.photobucket.com/user/kaffeefiend/media/Vsync.png.html?sort=3&o=0

I'm not sure what else you may need to know. Here are my basic specs - I just realized I need to check for an update to BIOS but I don't think that is the problem. I have dual GTX 680s in an SLI configuration but SLI is set to Single GPU for TS3 - I think I read other modes didn't work with TS3? If this is not the case please let me know. I would love to take advantage of both GPUs:

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 14393) (14393.rs1_release_sec.170427-1353)
    System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
    BIOS: BIOS Date: 07/05/12 13:52:26 Ver: 04.06.04
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz (12 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
    Memory: 16384MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 16334MB RAM
    Page File: 5154MB used, 13610MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 12
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    Miracast: Not Available
    Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
    DxDiag Version: 10.00.14393.0000 64bit Unicode
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce GTX 680
    DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Device Type: Full Device
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1180&SUBSYS_28201462&REV_A1
    Device Status: 0180200A [DN_DRIVER_LOADED|DN_STARTED|DN_DISABLEABLE|DN_NT_ENUMERATOR|DN_NT_DRIVER]
    Device Problem Code: No Problem
    Driver Problem Code: Unknown
    Display Memory: 10122 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 1955 MB
    Shared Memory: 8166 MB
    Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
    Monitor Model: DELL E2715H
    Monitor Id: DELF061
    Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.000Hz)
    Output Type: DVI

The computer is almost (edit 5, not 4) years old, but the only thing I have had to do so far is replace a few fans. I am looking at getting a decent sized SSD now that the prices have come down.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    @1need4kaffee - The executable that needs to be capped through vsync in the Nvidia Control Panel is TS3.exe for Patch 1.69 and TS3w.exe (with the "w") for Patches 1.67 and below. You are capping the Launcher, not the game. To get the right executable on the list, there should be a way with "Add" or some other button we are not seeing on that screenshot to browse until you can get to the right one. Usually for TS3.exe it goes something like C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\TheSims3\Game\bin\TS3 (there could be some variations).

If it still doesn't work, download and try Nvidia Inspector but it still has to hit the correct executable.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    1need4kaffee1need4kaffee Posts: 486 Member
    @igazor Awesome! I will look for it! Thank you
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    @aricarai I used to build and put them into the Exchange after deleting files from DCBackup and never had a problem with missing store content.

Several other builders assured me it is Custom content that doesn't load to the Exchange if the file is missing from DCBackup. I never tried to add custom content to my builds and the reason I no longer put my builds onto the Exchange is that I now use lots of CC in my game and don't want to risk any of it getting into my studio.
  • Options
    I restored the files and my game seemed to be working just fine but I will keep an eye on the performance.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Welp, I've had high frequency of crashes today...like 5 today. It's really grinding my gears.
    I do have CC in my game, but I've just merged it and it's only happening when I'm trying to filming (OBS).
    Cache files are deleted before every load up (getting into game is lightening quick). I'm not sure what to do.

Can you tell anything from the text file that comes from a crash? @igazor @Simasaurus09

Edit: PHINNEY is temperamental...I just think he doesn't like to be on all day! Game is working fine now after a computer restart (went on super speed through 2 Sim days)!
    Post edited by aricarai on
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    Welp, I've had high frequency of crashes today...like 5 today. It's really grinding my gears.
    I do have CC in my game, but I've just merged it and it's only happening when I'm trying to filming (OBS).
    Cache files are deleted before every load up (getting into game is lightening quick). I'm not sure what to do.

Can you tell anything from the text file that comes from a crash? @igazor @Simasaurus09

Edit: PHINNEY is temperamental...I just think he doesn't like to be on all day! Game is working fine now after a computer restart (went on super speed through 2 Sim days)!

I've noticed I get crashes when using OBS too. Just enough to be annoying but not enough to make me stop using OBS. It does make me save more often than usual.
  • Options
    Crash logs themselves are generally useless. Sometimes they bark about CC (and sometimes they do when they have no reason to). Sometimes they tell us, cryptically, that the game ran out of usable resources but they never say why. Usually they just say, cryptically, that the game has crashed (no kidding!).

I would go with temperamental and what @Karritz said.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    Dusty_BootsDusty_Boots Posts: 236 Member

Do you have the Windows Creator Update? If so, its causing some issues with OBS. They've released an update to address it and are continuing to investigate the issue(s).
    What we know:
    The Creator update for Windows 10 has been confirmed to cause an issues with the methods OBS uses to capture specific games (not all) with the Game Capture source. This is manifest by forcing the Game Capture source to fall back on memory capture, instead of shared texture capture. This is FAR less efficient, and can cause a significant performance loss in both OBS and your games.

Link: **Windows 10 Creator Update PSA**