Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why aren't sim step-parents and aunts/uncles by marriage labeled as relatives?

Comments

• halfnotes9halfnotes9 Posts: 163 Member
    Yeah, I had a woman marry a man with a child and the girl had no relation to the step mother. I had to build a relationship with her, so I just used the cas.fulleditmode and changed the relationship!
  • sarahb5500sarahb5500 Posts: 26 New Member
    I really hope this is addressed soon too. Speaking of family relationships I wish deaths mattered more. I have a game going where the whole family is very close, dinner parties at least once a week with grandparents, aunts/uncles, cousins, etc. Everyone in the three generations is friends or better (tons of work with the current family relationship set-up). Grandma just died and no one noticed or had any reaction to it. I found out when I went to invite her to the dinner party and she wasn't there to invite. Hoping for a future game pack that incorporates family reunions, makes it easier to build and maintain family relationships, and either has a funeral option or brings back mourning and inheritance similar to the sims2
  • FleReignFleReign Posts: 55 Member
    sarahb5500 wrote: »
    I really hope this is addressed soon too. Speaking of family relationships I wish deaths mattered more. I have a game going where the whole family is very close, dinner parties at least once a week with grandparents, aunts/uncles, cousins, etc. Everyone in the three generations is friends or better (tons of work with the current family relationship set-up). Grandma just died and no one noticed or had any reaction to it. I found out when I went to invite her to the dinner party and she wasn't there to invite. Hoping for a future game pack that incorporates family reunions, makes it easier to build and maintain family relationships, and either has a funeral option or brings back mourning and inheritance similar to the sims2

Inheritance would be awesome!
  • QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    I miss how those relationships were handled in TS3. It wasn't perfect, but it was way better.
  • brendhan21brendhan21 Posts: 3,427 Member
    fun fact also if kids are uncles or aunts it also wont show up in the realtionship pannel.
  • MorinGlory23MorinGlory23 Posts: 64 Member
    One of the challenges is the Family challenge were the player has to get a sim to have a mother, father, aunt, uncle, step parent, sisters or brothers, half siblings, grandparents, and second generation relationships. The sims 3 had this system, but the sims 4 doesn't recognize this. In the sims 2, sims knew enough not to flirt with their parents or step-parents. I haven't played past first generation in the sims 4, but I would still like my sims to know who their daddy is
  • StoneNumber7StoneNumber7 Posts: 199 Member
    I really wish that step and in-laws were in the game too... and that we could pick them from cas.... when making a family I would like sometimes to start as bf/gf not married....
  • MistressMoMoMistressMoMo Posts: 32 Member
    For once I'm glad I do soulmate families only. I can't even imagine the horror of a step-parent flirting with a step-child. Nope. Grow old and die together please and thank you!

But seriously. Please Gurus if you're listening address this. Maybe not shown in the family tree ( unless parents get re-married), but in game. I mean you recognize cousins. Why can't the game recognize step relationships too?
  • bevillebeville Posts: 1,151 Member
    edited June 2017
    Ok there's great grandparents in the family tree but in the sims panels where it shows like their jobs, family member etc. It does not show that the great grandparents as part of the family, it show as acquaintance. I wish they would fix this and update also son in law , daughter in law etc.. :|
    Post edited by beville on
  • mctsimmermctsimmer Posts: 277 Member
    > @MorinGlory23 said:
    > In the sims 2, sims knew enough not to flirt with their parents or step-parents. I haven't played past first generation in the sims 4, but I would still like my sims to know who their daddy is

I agree it is a problem. I had one of my sims dating his cousin but I forgot her parents hadn't married and that her surname was her step-father's name. Luckily, they only went out on a few dates and no children the from encounter. I have so many sims who are half-siblings from my sims being with townies. A panel that allowed step-siblings, parents, and children aunts and uncles would prevent this from happening in the game.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I still find it sad this is not an option. It's 2017. Blended families are very common. And I agree in laws should be recongnised. I find it bizarre my sims father in law keeps asking her out on dates! Gross.
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    Wow this wasn't addressed in the parenthood pack. I guess the title sort of fits what was released. It is about parenting not necessarily a family pack even though they said family focused gameplay. The thing is...it is family focused gameplay..lol I was expecting them to add the extended family options great aunts and uncles, step-parents and step siblings, second cousins at the very least.

Adding these family relationships doesn't seem that difficult, but who knows maybe it will be patched in at some point. They are moving in a better direction so I am willing to give them a chance to address it. In my games, I have a lot of step-parent situations but it is very rare if I even have 3 generations alive at the same time.
  • EmzyDalsvidaEmzyDalsvida Posts: 15,617 Member
    Please, I really hope one day we get step/half relations & aunts/uncles by marriage & in-laws.

I need these for my game! It's very sad to see that all these relationships are not accounted for in relationship panels, and they are merely acquaintances or simple friends. It just doesn't create that same connection they should have, yanno?
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited June 2017
    Reasons why we need this:

Yesterday my sim (who already has a child) got married. His new wife is his son's step mom right? Well the dad ends up getting electrocuted the next day and died. I aged up the son, and now he has romance options available for his step mom who used to have the caregiver label. Super weird.
  • Sonata13SingerSonata13Singer Posts: 183 Member
    > @brendhan21 said:
    > fun fact also if kids are uncles or aunts it also wont show up in the realtionship pannel.

I had one that showed up as an aunt.
    3ZWheQM.gif
    Origin ID: Sonata13Singer

I also create music and art (search up Sona13Singer on google... but I haven't been uploading a lot recently)
  • MidianMidian Posts: 24 Member
    Aye, this has baffled me for a while as well :/.
  • princess_kaguyaprincess_kaguya Posts: 508 Member
    Gruffman wrote: »
    This does need to be addressed.

My sim girl adopted a toddler, she is listed as the boys mother. The girl ended up falling in love and getting married with a male sim while the boy was still a toddler. So the male sim pretty much raised the boy from toddlerhood. The male sim is a roommate, not step-dad, not dad, but roommate. Said boy is now a YA and he and his "roommate-step dad" have a half pink romance bar.

It should not be like this. It needs to be fixed.

im shooketh
  • laazygnomelaazygnome Posts: 255 Member
    Yeah I've always wondered why they didn't add all the relationships into the game in the first place, I mean it's just weird when you see the aunt try and flirt with her nephew.
  • MarnettiMarnetti Posts: 1,047 Member
    edited June 2017
    There never was an official way to add step parents, step siblings, half siblings, etc in CAS, but it used to show up in the relationship panel in-game. A patch broke this months ago, thus making the relationship madness even worse. :expressionless:
    ~I just like lifestates. Is that too much to ask for?~
    tumblr_p4xbgrS3wO1tltr42o1_500.gif
  • PrincessVeePrincessVee Posts: 1,787 Member
    I don't want it "fixed" because it's not broken and let me tell you why.

In law relationships are not real relatives. They have 0 percent of common blood and can legally marry and have children irl. Yes, you could marry your step brother and it would not be weird because you don't share the same parents.

Your step dad is not your real dad. So if out of the blue he starts flirting with you, he's not committing an act of incest; he's just being a jerk to your mom. And it's probably gross as well, because duuuhh, he's married to your mother.
    However, if that's what kind of stories people want to play out in their game, I say, " Let them".
    I don't see why you'd want this feature to be limited.

Intel i7-6700HQ; nvidia gtx970m 3 gb; 1tb HHD and 256gb SSD; my drivers are always up to date.

edited June 2017

Your step dad is not your real dad. So if out of the blue he starts flirting with you, he's not committing an act of incest; he's just being a jerk to your mom.
    im pretty sure hes also being a jerk to you, specially if he helped ur mom in your raising from toddler to young adult. lol.

the thing is, those gross relationships will happen autonomously in game. im sorry but its really weird having ur step dad flirting with the baby he saw grow.
    of course there are hundreds and hundreds of mods to stop autonomously flirting. its just weird those things need a modder (aka someone else) to fix something that could be easily fixed by the devs.

im not against autonomously flirting, its just those specific cases of half-incest where the actions are not made by the player.
  • PrincessVeePrincessVee Posts: 1,787 Member

Your step dad is not your real dad. So if out of the blue he starts flirting with you, he's not committing an act of incest; he's just being a jerk to your mom.
    im pretty sure hes also being a jerk to you, specially if he helped ur mom in your raising from toddler to young adult. lol.

the thing is, those gross relationships will happen autonomously in game. im sorry but its really weird having ur step dad flirting with the baby he saw grow.
    of course there are hundreds and hundreds of mods to stop autonomously flirting. its just weird those things need a modder (aka someone else) to fix something that could be easily fixed by the devs.

im not against autonomously flirting, its just those specific cases of half-incest where the actions are not made by the player.

I'm pretty positive autonomous flirting has been removed from the game in one of the post CL patches. I even remember reading patch notes.
    With that being said, my sims never flirt autonomously, so I don't have that problem.
    Intel i7-6700HQ; nvidia gtx970m 3 gb; 1tb HHD and 256gb SSD; my drivers are always up to date.

edited June 2017

I'm pretty positive autonomous flirting has been removed from the game in one of the post CL patches. I even remember reading patch notes.
    With that being said, my sims never flirt autonomously, so I don't have that problem.
    well. if autonomous flirting doesnt happen anymore, then whats the point of this whole discussion? why are we here? just to suffer?
  • MistressMoMoMistressMoMo Posts: 32 Member
    > @PrincessVee said:
    > I don't want it "fixed" because it's not broken and let me tell you why.
    >
    > Your step dad is not your real dad. So if out of the blue he starts flirting with you, he's not committing an act of incest;

I'm playing devil's advocate here:
    Even if he's the father of your half-sibling? That makes you related by blood officially.