Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3 Things you didn't know!

Comments

• KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    @Pancakesandwich years ago I used to raid gardens of other sims in the game when I rotated from a household with a big garden to one that was just starting out. It used to work until I started adding burglar alarms to the exterior of my Sims houses. After I did that the son of a family who had moved out was seen as a burglar by the burglar alarm when he tried to harvest plants in his parents garden. But that was way before seasons was released. Patches since then may have changed how things worked.
  • TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    @lisasc360 I think I'm going to take Ambitions first, for the inventor career (time machines are awesome). Then Generations and then University Life. Does Generations also add a new lifestate?

Yes, Generations adds Imaginary Friends. I found them quite annoying as almost all newborns get one and they are impossible to get rid of without mods.

FYI the time machine is basically just a text adventure (like the catacombs) with a chance to bring home things. It's fun, don't get me wrong, but it's no ITF.
    TreyNutz wrote: »
    The highest my sims have won from checking lottery records is 3 million simoleons. That can totally change a game.
    @TreyNutz So basically... your Sims didn't need to have jobs anymore, and could afford just about anything in the universe? :joy:

Pretty much. At least in the first game when that happened. I still had one sim reach level 10 of the science career for the "Experiment On" perk. But after that they quit working. In my current game the household already had 8 million or so. The 3 million lottery win didn't affect them that much.
  • Faerie197Faerie197 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Well, if you have the No Bills, Ever LTR from World Adventures, your sim no longer has to work either. Course, if they want to go on vacations and improve their home they'll need some source of income. But many hobbies can provide that too.
    Fear not the fae, for they are harmless. Anger not the fae, beware their wraith. Harm not the fae, fear the Faerie Knight.
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,282 Member
    @lisasc360 I think I'm going to take Ambitions first, for the inventor career (time machines are awesome). Then Generations and then University Life. Does Generations also add a new lifestate?

Yes, Generations adds Imaginary Friends. I found them quite annoying as almost all newborns get one and they are impossible to get rid of without mods.

FYI the time machine is basically just a text adventure (like the catacombs) with a chance to bring home things. It's fun, don't get me wrong, but it's no ITF.
    The highest my sims have won from checking lottery records is 3 million simoleons. That can totally change a game.
    @TreyNutz So basically... your Sims didn't need to have jobs anymore, and could afford just about anything in the universe? :joy:

Pretty much. At least in the first game when that happened. I still had one sim reach level 10 of the science career for the "Experiment On" perk. But after that they quit working. In my current game the household already had 8 million or so. The 3 million lottery win didn't affect them that much.

Oops, I keep forgetting about the IF's as I don't have kids in my saves... :blush:
    I think they're kind of amusing. Up until the kid blames their imaginary friend for baking cookies (even if it's true) :)
    Fear not the fae, for they are harmless. Anger not the fae, beware their wraith. Harm not the fae, fear the Faerie Knight.
  • Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    Special drinks using the LN bar for certain lot types.
    http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Mixology_(The_Sims_3)

Drinks at the Gym
    -Spline Reticulator $10
    -Bio Booster (Skill Gain: Cerebral Boost moodlet) $14
    -Cleanser (Sorrow Annihilator: Wash Away the Worry moodlet) $18
    -Muscle Protein $10
    -Buckwheat Blast (Energy: Wide Awake moodlet) $14

Food at the Gym
    -Autumn Salad
    -Fruit Parfait
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • PancakesandwichPancakesandwich Posts: 2,038 Member
    edited May 2017

Impossible to get rid of? Well, let me see... fire, meteorites, generally explosions, time sickness, are they really immune against those?

And I know about the Ambitions time machine, but as you said it's fun anyways. And because it doesn't just go to one time, it would be perfect for both any Doctor Who inspired games I might want to do, and for my own scientist Sim. (although I do believe he is basically The Doctor of the Sims by now :D )

Another bunch of "did you knows":
    Did you know... that if your Sim meets a ghost child in the same house (for example the Jones family from Riverview), they can read a bedtime story to it? The ghost doesn't need to be playable.

Did you know... the book you choose for a bedtime story can be a skill book too? The child even learns the associated skill a little bit.

Did you know... that the orchid in a glass vase can be placed on a toddler highchair? This is a perfect way of repurposing the highchair until the next child needs it.

Did you know... that some of the ingredients for food can be eaten normally too?

Did you know... that each bookshelf has its own inventory? You can easily create a fully sorted library by just putting each book in the right shelf.

Did you know in ItF... that a combination of the traits Loser, Unlucky and maybe Unstable (on all Sims) as well as not having any jobs, can result in your future family having no money whatsoever? It doesn't even matter how expensive your house is. Tested with 70k simoleons.
    The things I don't know about Sims 3, I don't know that I don't know. But the loading tip this afternoon did mention reading skill books to children when they're tired.

And I do find that eating a quick apple or head of lettuce is great for a quick meal if you're garden is wilting. Not that filling, and the hunger bar will deplete faster then normal. But it can help you save your garden if hunger is critical and the plants are wilting.

Also, the Imaginary Friend toy can be sold when the kid is still a baby/toddler. Or just put in the family inventory.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited May 2017
    I think what was meant is that a mod is required to prevent the IF dolls from appearing in the mailbox from long lost Uncle/Auntie Whoever (whom no one has ever actually heard of) in the first place. By default, there is a 70% chance that an actively being played newborn baby will receive one.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    Only 70%? Seems to me if you have Generations enabled, it's 100% for any newborn to get one.
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    Faerie197 wrote: »
    Only 70%? Seems to me if you have Generations enabled, it's 100% for any newborn to get one.

I used a mod to increase the chances from the default 70% to 100% for my newborns. You can make it any % you like including 0% if you don't want them to appear at all for newborns.
    I don't use a mod at all for that, yet I've never had a newborn NOT receive an IF doll if I have generations enabled.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    I don't use a mod at all for that, yet I've never had a newborn NOT receive an IF doll if I have generations enabled.
    It is possible to toss a (lopsided) coin with a 70% chance of yielding heads 100 or more times and still get heads each time. ;)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    @igazor True enough I guess. But you'd think the law of averages would have it not happen once in a while. Even a family that had 30 kids all told due to twins and so forth all had an IF for every kid. Not all the kids made friends with the doll until it came to life. But all had one.
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited May 2017
    If the doorbell rings with a sim in the same room, it startles them. (This could be related to traits.)

You can cancel the newspaper via phone. So obvious, I know! Yet it took me years to notice.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/

Impossible to get rid of? Well, let me see... fire, meteorites, generally explosions, time sickness, are they really immune against those?

I don't recall being able to sell the dolls before they become alive. Once alive...I never tried to kill one. I don't know if they are immune to death. Several I kept in doll form and stuck in inventory. One I aged up to YA and moved out just to get rid of it. Then I got a mod to stop newborns from getting them altogether.

But, back when I did have IF dolls in my game I did get several toddlers who didn't receive one due to there only being a 70% chance.
    Did you know in ItF... that a combination of the traits Loser, Unlucky and maybe Unstable (on all Sims) as well as not having any jobs, can result in your future family having no money whatsoever? It doesn't even matter how expensive your house is. Tested with 70k simoleons.

Similarly, if your sim has many (and only) alien children Oasis Landing will be filled to the brim with alien offspring.
    So, would that mean if your sim has a bunch of plantsim kids Oasis Landing will be overgrown with plant sims?
    So, would that mean if your sim has a bunch of plantsim kids Oasis Landing will be overgrown with plant sims?

I happen to be playing 2 plantsims with who have had 24 kids. They did visit OL recently but I didn't pay attention to the descendants and don't recall if the descendents were plantsims or not. I'll have to send my sims back to check and see. (They are currently at university working on degree #6). What might complicate things is that most of the children were born human (via a mod which allows plantsim pregnancies) and I gave them the plantsim occult state via MasterController. Only 6 were 'born' from the forbidden fruit seeds.
  • MazakeenMazakeen Posts: 440 Member
    I have 72.000 simelions. -Had... ...-just bought a restaurant.

Cannot use the 'No Bills'-LTS. The inflation would make me ruin my society.

@TreyNutz - Oh, mylanta, those vivid imaginations. -Ever considered to round them up on a fenced farm, so puresims can go and 'harvest' them? -Just add some water from time to time? 'Babyfactory' reach new levels of ghastly.
    ie62Ymx.jpg
    Rawwrr...
  • PancakesandwichPancakesandwich Posts: 2,038 Member
    edited May 2017
    Here is a pretty obvious Did You Know (You Probably Did) :D

If something big recently happened to your Sim, like a fire, a divorce, a promotion, then they seem to have a "Talk about..." interaction available for the next 24 hours. So your Sims have more to talk about when something actually happened.
    Another reason to love Sims 3 ^^

And less obvious:
    (Source: www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVJfeGxDjJc)
    Aliens can steal space rocks from the science lab at night.
  • MazakeenMazakeen Posts: 440 Member
    edited May 2017
    @Pancakesandwich - I had my almost (soon) rabid dog exploring, plum an alien! Yes I did.

Edit.. No, I cannot upload screens of that. it was... horrid.
    ie62Ymx.jpg
    Rawwrr...
  • KevinL5275KevinL5275 Posts: 2,489 Member
    Did you know... that if you name a star (when found by telescope) after a Sim's name, you will get a memory according to that?

You can name the star anything, and during friendly conversation with another sim, you can talk about the star.
    I'm a 48 year old married man, with a beautiful wife, a cat, and a simverted personality.My Sims 3 Pictures
  • Kylieb191Kylieb191 Posts: 4,653 Member
    Tried callling into work when my sim was pregnant and when another had he day off, doesn't seem to work :\
    Oh and also never have a celebrity as a thief as you get arrested......alot o_0
    Friends?: http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/Kylierose19
    Proud member of the "I own the store" club
    Zpj9msL.png
    The real me:https://twitter.com/CupidStupidLov3
  • TinySpaceFoxTinySpaceFox Posts: 1,110 Member
    edited June 2017
    Here is a pretty obvious Did You Know (You Probably Did) :D

If something big recently happened to your Sim, like a fire, a divorce, a promotion, then they seem to have a "Talk about..." interaction available for the next 24 hours. So your Sims have more to talk about when something actually happened.
    Another reason to love Sims 3 ^^

And less obvious:
    (Source: www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVJfeGxDjJc)
    Aliens can steal space rocks from the science lab at night.

Woo, a video by onlyabidoang! Love his videos, they're so informative and funny!

Until I watched his unicorns video, I didn't know they lived longer than a normal horse. I also didn't know that the "bless" and "curse" interactions affected skill learning.

I also learned that pregnant Sims are invincible, and that twins born in-game can have different zodiac signs despite being born on the same day. Weird.
    Post edited by TinySpaceFox on
  • AlienStarsAlienStars Posts: 62 Member
    With the whole Imaginary Friend doll thing, I just put the doll on the ground, and through testingcheatsenabled, just right click on the doll, press object, then delete it. Bam, the doll is gone with no ill effects.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top