Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Feedback Thread - For All Games!

Comments

• AkramAAkramA Posts: 2,717 Member
    edited May 2017
    InfraGreen wrote: »

1. Are identical twins in simlit confusing? To be honest, I almost never see them written.

2. If, without context, you saw these two in a story, would you get needlessly confused as to who was whom?

3. Is it worth it? If it helps, nothing in the plot is dependent on these guys being identical. I just thought it was a bright idea for a hot second.

1. I have identical twins in my senior high school. Since I'm not very close with them I definitely get confused. Especially that here we have school uniform which made them totally look the same and the worst thing is that their parents name them with almost similar name. They're in different class, so when I'm 11th grade I'm with one of them and when I'm 12th grade I'm with the other twin. I could separate them apart of each other only if they're next to each other as I can see that they're actually not that similar. But if they're on their own I just have to ask and not in class, which is weird, but they understand. It's even harder bicause they're wearing a hijab, so since they had similar height the only thing I could pinpoint from them are from their face and voice.

2. Since your story is on my waiting list, I didn't open the spoiler hehe.

3. Details is important but just a mention is enough. Except if it's like the twin switching tropes where they're separated by birth and they keep switching between each other because one of them can do something and the other couldn't or any reason for switching. Haha, that's such a messed up scenario I keep couldn't believe there's so many of them.

I also write non sims stuff on Wattpad
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,748 Member
    edited May 2017
    Here's a question for a chapter a VERY, VERY, Very long ways off. You have four kids and Boy 1 will NOT be available since he has a double role so to speak for a couple of lines but the boy 2 has a lines either after what would be Boy's 1 lines and before Boy 1's lines. So should Boy 2 say both lines? Or do I get a back-up additional boy? Or do I get a girl (ie the true heir of the Grant household) take boy's 1 lines instead? or even though boy 1 will be in a sense "tied up" he still could say his lines?

@CathyTea
    Post edited by MadameLee on
    6adMCGP.gif
  • AudreyFldAudreyFld Posts: 6,695 Member
    MadameLee wrote: »
    Here's a question for a chapter a VERY, VERY, Very long ways off. You have four kids and Boy 1 will NOT be available since he has a double role so to speak for a couple of lines but the boy 2 has a lines either after what would be Boy's 1 lines and before Boy 1's lines. So should Boy 2 say both lines? Or do I get a back-up additional boy? Or do I get a girl (ie the true heir of the Grant household) take boy's 1 lines instead? or even though boy 1 will be in a sense "tied up" he still could say his lines?

@CathyTea

Oh my. I guess it depends on the meaning behind the line! Haha! Trying to follow this. I guess I don't understand why the boy has a double role that would prevent him from delivering the line you want. Just screen shot his face if he can't physically be there or create a clone to stand in for him? However, it sounds like it may not be important for him to deliver the line so just have another character do that.
    AudreyFld wrote: »

@CathyTea

Oh my. I guess it depends on the meaning behind the line! Haha! Trying to follow this. I guess I don't understand why the boy has a double role that would prevent him from delivering the line you want. Just screen shot his face if he can't physically be there or create a clone to stand in for him? However, it sounds like it may not be important for him to deliver the line so just have another character do that.

Well I have these four kids (3, including this Boy 1 are kids of Villains in my story). The fourth isn't the kid of villian but she doesn't feel no love so to speak because of family issues (due to the events of Gen 5 and above and is the twin sister of boy 1's future wife, my main character). They cosplay as characters from Descendants. Melissa, the twin of my main character (and never knows the other exisits) and the Evie look alike will discover about her twin when the twin become a well-known politician. So she and the other VKs will join the twin in doing so with a little romance with Jay who is the son of the Villain, who is responsible for Melissa and her twin's parents getting together when he was trying to do the oppiste and also is Melissa's twin's opposing politician. For some unknown reasons (I haven't thought about the WHY part yet) Leah's mother will kidnap Jay and the other 3 will be rescuing him.
    6adMCGP.gif
    edited May 2017
    sorry wrong thread!!
    6adMCGP.gif
  • CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member
    edited May 2017
    I come bearing a question! :tongue: It's very difficult to ask without spoiling things, so forgive me for how awkwardly worded this will be :joy:

I'm currently in the middle of a brief break (like 2-3 weeks) from my legacy, and I am using some of this time to further think about/develop the next generation of my story. I currently am toying around with a plot idea for Generation Six that I think has good potential to work well for the story, but there is one 'problem' with it... It's a plot-point that has already been touched upon in my story (more than once, actually :joy:)

What makes it different is that I am taking said plot-point and presenting it in a different way/to more of an extreme. I shared the details of this idea with two friends who read my story. One thinks it's a good idea and is unique enough compared to the past plots that it'll be fine. The other says it might seem too similar and was hesitating to 'approve' of it :tongue: So it left me feeling very stuck!

I apologize that I can't give more details without spoiling things :( But I guess my basic question is, do I try to come up with a different plot that is totally unlike what we've seen in the past? Or roll with the plan and hope that I can make it feel different enough? Hmm... (and unfortunately it's a plot point that comes up fairly early in the gen, so it's not like I have til December to decide or something :tongue:)

If anyone has any thoughts to share, let me know! :)
    snvAF3B.png
    I come bearing a question! :tongue: It's very difficult to ask without spoiling things, so forgive me for how awkwardly worded this will be :joy:

I'm currently in the middle of a brief break (like 2-3 weeks) from my legacy, and I am using some of this time to further think about/develop the next generation of my story. I currently am toying around with a plot idea for Generation Six that I think has good potential to work well for the story, but there is one 'problem' with it... It's a plot-point that has already been touched upon in my story (more than once, actually :joy:)

What makes it different is that I am taking said plot-point and presenting it in a different way/to more of an extreme. I shared the details of this idea with two friends who read my story. One thinks it's a good idea and is unique enough compared to the past plots that it'll be fine. The other says it might seem too similar and was hesitating to 'approve' of it :tongue: So it left me feeling very stuck!

I apologize that I can't give more details without spoiling things :( But I guess my basic question is, do I try to come up with a different plot that is totally unlike what we've seen in the past? Or roll with the plan and hope that I can make it feel different enough? Hmm... (and unfortunately it's a plot point that comes up fairly early in the gen, so it's not like I have til December to decide or something :tongue:)

Personally, I think you should roll with the plot point..you already have thought up.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member

i like multiple points of view on a topic. because 2 or 3 charcters sometimes see things in differnt ways.
  • InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    @CitizenErased14: I approve of Zayne falling for an older man, knocking up a teenager, finding his real dad, and developing a drinking problem and sex addiction all at once. :p

Is there a way to add an extra unique twist? Or subvert something major about it? Unless you already have, then I approve.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
    Thank you for your thoughts @friendsfan367 !

@InfraGreen You've spoiled the plot of Gen 6! Thanks :bawling: (No but seriously -- there isn't a way to twist it in a SUPER unique way. I can't go into more details (darn you, spoilers haha) but I'm definitely gonna try to make it set apart from the past instances of said thing. :)
    snvAF3B.png
  • chocischocis Posts: 186 Member
    edited May 2017
    @CitizenErased14 Go with your gut. I think one of my first impressions when binging A2A was that, among other things, you put unique, creative spins on archthemes/ well-known plot-points. (Like, I think I can predict what's about to happen and then I'm surprised) So I'm sure you'll make this storyline different from the previous one. And it will show if you'll be forcing yourself to write something you don't really want.

I agree with @friendsfan367- each character is different and reacts in their own way, so it won't be the same story.

(I didn't forget about sending you the video- I'm having kind of a crazy weekend, but you'll get in the next 24h!)
    Thanks @chocis :) I do intentionally re-visit old themes sometimes, I just fear that since this is a theme I've already touched upon more than once, it'll feel overly repetitive. (And don't worry, no rush on the video :blush:)
    snvAF3B.png
    Thanks @chocis :) I do intentionally re-visit old themes sometimes, I just fear that since this is a theme I've already touched upon more than once, it'll feel overly repetitive. (And don't worry, no rush on the video :blush:)

jes was impressed with me once in the first bender attempt i found 12 differnt ways to say i'm pregnant..
    chocis wrote: »
    @CitizenErased14 Go with your gut. I think one of my first impressions when binging A2A was that, among other things, you put unique, creative spins on archthemes/ well-known plot-points. (Like, I think I can predict what's about to happen and then I'm surprised) So I'm sure you'll make this storyline different from the previous one. And it will show if you'll be forcing yourself to write something you don't really want.

I agree with @friendsfan367- each character is different and reacts in their own way, so it won't be the same story.

(I didn't forget about sending you the video- I'm having kind of a crazy weekend, but you'll get in the next 24h!)

chocis you made my day i was awakend by construction and now my waters off.
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,088 Member

I think it can be really effective to roll the same plot/plot thread/plot arc through a story.

I love to think of the fugue as a structural model for fiction: It can work really well!

It seems (to me as a reader) to work best when a) the writer is very conscious of doing this, and is doing it in a way to explore said theme or plot in a variety of ways; b) any repetitive elements are treated almost self-consciously, as if the writer is nodding to them saying, "Yeah... here's alcoholism (or domestic violence, or obsessive behavior, or escapism, or whatever) again..."; c) we (as readers) gain something new through the retelling. For example, maybe we notice that it's a family pattern, so we reflect on the patterns that run through the generation in our families. Maybe we see that the situation is handled differently. Maybe things are better; maybe they're worse.

One thing that's inevitable (in life) is that different individuals respond to the same patterns of events in different ways--and the same individual can respond to the same type of event differently each time it occurs. So that's always interesting, too.

I guess my main caution would be to try to vary the voice--avoid the diarist or narrator having the same responses, same thoughts, same complaints, and same gripes as the first time. Or even if they are the same emotions and feelings and responses, see if the words and language can be different.

While I, as a reader, love to have the same plot elements again and again, I do grow weary when the same language or even tone is repeated in conjunction with those plot elements, especially when it's a different narrator.

I think it's an interesting idea, and I think there's a lot that can be explored with it!
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
    InfraGreen wrote: »
    @CitizenErased14: I approve of Zayne falling for an older man, knocking up a teenager, finding his real dad, and developing a drinking problem and sex addiction all at once. :p

Is there a way to add an extra unique twist? Or subvert something major about it? Unless you already have, then I approve.

I second this motion!

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!

jes was impressed with me once in the first bender attempt i found 12 differnt ways to say i'm pregnant..

Your story is a great example of a successful re-visit, too, @friendsfan367 ! :)

edited May 2017
    cancled
    Post edited by MadameLee on
    6adMCGP.gif
    edited June 2017
    for Gen 7 one of my idea's is that the unnamed Gen 7 heiress is going to be very upset since her love (new characters based on youtuber Matt, and his wife and Matt's siblings and their fellow youtuber, Jesse) is going to go to WAR and supposedly in WAR he's MIA and that will make the Gen 7 heiress even more upset that supposedly that she becomes into a comma somehow,,not sure how, and I'm going to have 4 different perspectives of the event leading to the coma, a driver?, and 3 other people

Driver will claim that the heiress walked out in the middle of the road when he (or she) was driving. What kind of other people could say?

I also want ideas for cryptic clues for the heiress to live behind for when the unnamed husband to be comes back from the war.
    6adMCGP.gif
    for Gen 7 one of my idea's is that the unnamed Gen 7 heiress is going to be very upset since her love (new characters based on youtuber Matt, and his wife and Matt's siblings and their fellow youtuber, Jesse) is going to go to WAR and supposedly in WAR he's MIA and that will make the Gen 7 heiress even more upset that supposedly that she becomes into a comma somehow,,not sure how, and I'm going to have 4 different perspectives of the event leading to the coma, a driver?, and 3 other people

Driver will claim that the heiress walked out in the middle of the road when he (or she) was driving. What kind of other people could say?

I also want ideas for cryptic clues for the heiress to live behind for when the unnamed husband to be comes back from the war.

This sounds really fascinating! I love the idea of the multiple perspectives. I think you'll have fun with this!

CathyTea wrote: »

This sounds really fascinating! I love the idea of the multiple perspectives. I think you'll have fun with this!

well Gen 7 is very Matt&John Green-based. Hey I can't have the one w/o the other!! (jk). Well the multiple perspectives it will be like the Rashomon effect . I just need to figure out what other perspectives there could be (since the unnamed heiress can't say anything because a coma) I only have one so far a driver. Maybe the driver's passenger? and one or two people on the street/or an employee and a customer from either a store or a restaurant who saw what happened via the window and came out to help?
    6adMCGP.gif
    CathyTea wrote: »

i agree multiple perxpectives is fun to read because differnt people sometimes see the same thing differntly. i know i'm not making sense but i was thinking about sims before mom called now i'm thinking about food.
    But what could the two people either on the street or customer&employee see if all they see is out the window of the business? What could the passenger see?
    6adMCGP.gif
    testing
    6adMCGP.gif
  • AudreyFldAudreyFld Posts: 6,695 Member
    But what could the two people either on the street or customer&employee see if all they see is out the window of the business? What could the passenger see?

This is always intersting. They see pieces of whatever happens and it looks different from every perspective.