Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Thoughts about the livestream?

Comments

• midnightpearlmidnightpearl Posts: 6,578 Member
    The livestream was very boring but I got to see a lot of build/buy mode things in that house the Guru's had and loved all the interactions and animations, did see some glitches but ya can't always have a perfect game. I think the Guru's need to work on their charisma skills and awkwardness in front of the camera. I'm somewhat glad they didn't show everything in the livestream, I do want to discover ALL the build/buy items myself when I get this pack so I can be surprised, overall, I give this livestream a 5/10, just because the Guru's need to work on some skills and be more fun! Maybe that team should learn off SimGuruGraham when he does livestreams for stuff packs, he makes the livestream more fun and that's how it should be! :blush:
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I just got a chance to watch it. Yes, I definitely noticed the usual bugs. Hopefully those are getting worked on. I'm really glad that they fixed the swimming pools, finally. With the still outstanding bugs and new ones like the radio glitch, it does seem like there's always something to keep the bug repairers busy.

I'm generally fine with the live stream, though, yes, they needed to feed that toddler. Lol. People aren't going to get better at something if they don't try it, so I think it's good to have the different gurus doing it. It's one of those cases where I won't criticize them as individuals because I can imagine that it is nerve-wracking to go on the live stream if you aren't a total extravert. I know I am not one. Sure, they could have a specific person in charge of the live streams but it's clearly kind of a team-building thing and again, they might improve with practice. Feedback regarding what content they show and how they show it is fair though.

What I saw of the pack was generally fine and honestly, I have already decided what I will do with regard to this pack regardless but it was still interesting. As someone who played The Sims for many years in a totally antisocial way and never spent time on the forums until recently, it's still a bit weird to see that there are real people behind the making of The Sims. Hehe. I never paid any attention to that before. It's like learning about the production sets behind movies.

I will say that I would have been happy to see some more of the objects and CAS stuff in more detail. That might seem a little bit boring for them, but for us, it is not because we can think about what we will do with that content. What I saw of the gameplay was pretty explanatory. I'd just say that with the new screens and menu options, it was sometimes hard to read the small font. Maybe zoom in a little bit more on that stuff and on the new content. Give us more close ups of the new features.

I'm someone who will stumble around gradually with new content and I'm not the most linear in my approach. By that I mean that I do what I want at my own pace and I go for a lot of variety. I do see the usefulness of an overhaul of parenting. It might be a bit daunting for a few of my households that already have been parenting the old way for years. I have a better sense of where it will fit in my game and when based on a better understanding of what the GP is about. (I know I said that I had already decided what my plan is but the live stream's information did reinforce that).

Anyway, it will be cool to see the information that will come out when the pack is released. As a part-time family player, it might be funny to see how some of my more "distractable" households handle that more complex system. Lol.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    Also, I will add that whoever designed that kitchen back splash is clearly familiar with the artist Mondrian. Lol. It's like Mondrian meets preschool tile. Not saying that I dislike it, I just can't help seeing the influence of that artist every time I see it.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    I agree with others about the presentation.... (it was a mess)
    The bit about not speaking up while the Sims are literally fused together was a bit embarrassing to watch.
    It gave me an inside glimpse as to how compartmentalized they must be over there.
    It was like one of their own chance cards...

Do you
    a) call out your co-worker's shoddy work? or
    b) fumble through and hope no one notices?
    bzzt wrong answer...(performance loss small) :o

Still who else is qualified to do the job? Gotta work with what you got I suppose. :)

Anyway I think the pack looks good overall.
    This is the kind of pack that changes the course of the game permanantly.
    New animations are fun to look at, but changes that affect Sim behavior on a fundamental level is exactly what people have been asking for.

They are moving closer to making it impossible to have two Sims that are exactly alike.
  • JimG72JimG72 Posts: 1,161 Member
    edited May 2017
    tasmabel wrote: »
    God, I hope so. CAS was extremely underwhelming because of the lack of toddler content. I already loathe dressing the little cuties because they have such few options for variety.
    Yeah, I think a lot of us definitely want more toddler stuff, myself included. Since this game pack was in design and development well before toddlers were released via patch, I'm guessing that's probably one reason we don't see as much toddler stuff in the pack...may not have wanted to design too much toddler stuff without being able to see, test, utilize, integrate, etc. final toddler state, since there were different devs on the game pack vs. the toddler patch. Plus, with this game pack coming out about 18 weeks or so after toddlers were introduced, they may have figured teens and children should get this turn more than toddlers.
    B_E2009 wrote: »
    I don't know anything about the new aspirations
    They mentioned it...can't remember if they actually showed it or not. It was also mentioned by a dev previously in another thread. The new aspiration is super parent....the sim wants to be the best parent.
    orkhid22 wrote: »
    the sim guru to the left of megs...DID IN FACT say that if the children have good relationship with their grandparents they may receive gifts through the mail and then related his own story of receiving gifts through the mail from his own grandmother.
    Yep. It got a little confusing whether he was just trying to set up his story or whether it was an actual in-game thing. But it was later confirmed in another thread that the grandparents will send gifts through the mail in-game if they have good relationships with the grandkids.
    Uzone27 wrote: »
    New animations are fun to look at, but changes that affect Sim behavior on a fundamental level is exactly what people have been asking for.
    Agreed. New animations are cool and novel the first time or two....but I'm more interested in the changes of substance to long-term game play mechanics.

• SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Secondly, have we always had the career option "stay-at-home mom/dad? i noticed in the last family played after aging up the teen when the guru checked the relationship panel it said both parents were "stay-at-home"

Hmm I'm pretty sure this was always shown in the relationship panel. It's also what they answer when asked about their career by other sims, so I don't think that's new unless I missed something :)
    edited May 2017
    Uzone27 wrote: »
    Agreed. New animations are cool and novel the first time or two....but I'm more interested in the changes of substance to long-term game play mechanics.

When they said that relationships developed in childhood could last a lifetime...that's the kind of feature that really adds value to the game, and the type of improvements I love to see.
  • AfterMidnightAfterMidnight Posts: 1,020 Member
    The livestream was all over the place, but considering they had four people wanting to talk about different parts of the pack, I'm not surprised. I think it would have ran smoother if they'd decided beforehand who was going to talk about what part of the pack and then had taken turns during the livestream.

But overall, I liked what I saw. I can't wait for the pack to come out so I can play some awful families. And some good ones (but mostly bad ones).
  • InvisibleaesInvisibleaes Posts: 1,526 Member
    My only criticism is they need to get more comfortable in front of the camera. I'd have liked to see grandparents interaction with grand kids but I guess I'll have to see it for myself in game!
  • tinacolada00tinacolada00 Posts: 409 Member
    I'm hoping for more hair styles in CAS. Can't wait to see the new clothing. Super excited to see pillows on the couch! Loved the new fireplace and homey accessories. I really wanted prom and graduation parties for teens.
  • OneAdorkableGirlOneAdorkableGirl Posts: 2,379 Member
    The livestream was great! I loved when they told us that kids could go through phases! I can see this in my families so much and ughhh. Is it Tuesday yet?! I am trying so hard to play my game but I *need* this game play. and I love how they kept saying that this is a long-term thing, this doesn't just happen over night and this is amazing for my Legacy play that I enjoy and I feel is going to really shape my families a bit. I know there's been Simmers asking for this, I was one of them, that wanted to be able to shape our Sims a bit better; and I hope we continue to see this type of stuff in the future.. (hobbies among many other things to help shape them/distinguish, etc).

I am so ready for Tuesday. 3 more days... and it feels so far away, but I know it's not. Seeing it live just made me want it that much more! I LOVE the interactions between Siblings and so glad that there will be Sibling rivalry now... going to add lots of drama for house-holds. :D I can't wait!
  • SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    I was so happy to see Lakshmi back! She did some of the walkthroughs for TS2 EPs. Can you believe it was 10 years ago I was watching this waiting for it to come out!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDjTF6Tonqs
  • SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    Also makes me a bit sad though, as a nearly decade old game did so many things (like apartments) better. :(
  • MorinGlory23MorinGlory23 Posts: 64 Member
    I still think they should have at least said "Guys, we have noticed the glitches in the game like sims sitting in each other and we are working to fix them. Just bare with us, we hear you and we have seen the problems first hand. We are working on them, don't worry." Instead of just remaining silent on the matter and just glossing over it like 100+ people did not just see the teen and sister walk all the way down stairs to yell or the child fuse into the father. Nope, nothing to see here. The Game pack itself is cool and will add more depth, but the Sim gurus need some help in the PR department.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited May 2017
    I still think they should have at least said "Guys, we have noticed the glitches in the game like sims sitting in each other and we are working to fix them. Just bare with us, we hear you and we have seen the problems first hand. We are working on them, don't worry." Instead of just remaining silent on the matter and just glossing over it like 100+ people did not just see the teen and sister walk all the way down stairs to yell or the child fuse into the father. Nope, nothing to see here. The Game pack itself is cool and will add more depth, but the Sim gurus need some help in the PR department.

Is their active participation in the forums not an indication that they're working on stuff? Or are you looking for a specific indication about every bug they reproduce?

FWIW, if I'm QA, I don't want my designers and producers making assumptions about which things in their liveplay I've acknowledged publicly and which I haven't. Best to leave that to QA or to times when I have the luxury of checking with them not assuming on the fly. (Source: Am married to a QA manager.)
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.

Is their active participation in the forums not an indication that they're working on stuff? Or are you looking for a specific indication about every bug they reproduce?

FWIW, if I'm QA, I don't want my designers and producers making assumptions about which things in their liveplay I've acknowledged publicly and which I haven't. Best to leave that to QA or to times when I have the luxury of checking with them not assuming on the fly. (Source: Am married to a QA manager.)

That fusion 'glitch" in particular isn't actually a glitch as much as it's a side effect of their decisions regarding collison detection. This is the reason pile ups in tight places don't result in routing failures anymore.
    It's not something I think they have any intention of fixing, so there really wasn't much they could say about it...
    (doesn't make it any less awkward though I'm, sure.)
  • doedeardoedear Posts: 303 Member
    edited May 2017
    cons: we need more toddler hair and clothes, separate curfews, curfews should be given out by sim interaction instead of object interaction, grounding for more than one day, pimples that come naturally ala sims 2.

other than that i'm excited, way more pros than cons.
  • angelchromeangelchrome Posts: 421 Member
    I still think they should have at least said "Guys, we have noticed the glitches in the game like sims sitting in each other and we are working to fix them. Just bare with us, we hear you and we have seen the problems first hand. We are working on them, don't worry."
    I agree with you in theory.
    Sadly, in practice, it only fuels future fires on the forums.

With TS3 they would post about bugs they were fixing and it would do nothing more than start a timer.
    You'd end up with the same pos/neg comments in the forums but attached would be ...it's been "x" months since they said they were fixing this bug.
    Once in a while you'd get a quick fix, everyone would be so thankful and then the ...but what about this other bug posts would erupt.
    In the end they fixed what they could or wanted to and left a lot of bugs untouched.
    More or less the same thing they do now.
  • TomatplanteTomatplante Posts: 2,793 Member
    Usually when I watch these pack live streams, I get the feeling afterwards that I've seen pretty much everything the pack has to offer and there's not much left to discover on my own. With this one though, I'm left with the feeling that there's so much more I can discover and explore and experiment with. There seems to be months worth of gameplay in this one. The Let's Players on youtube will have to make very long series' if they are to show off everything!
  • brendhan21brendhan21 Posts: 3,427 Member
    The livestream was very boring but I got to see a lot of build/buy mode things in that house the Guru's had and loved all the interactions and animations, did see some glitches but ya can't always have a perfect game. I think the Guru's need to work on their charisma skills and awkwardness in front of the camera. I'm somewhat glad they didn't show everything in the livestream, I do want to discover ALL the build/buy items myself when I get this pack so I can be surprised, overall, I give this livestream a 5/10, just because the Guru's need to work on some skills and be more fun! Maybe that team should learn off SimGuruGraham when he does livestreams for stuff packs, he makes the livestream more fun and that's how it should be! :blush:

i actually liked the gurus and felt they were fine. it was more or less what i expected.
  • orkhid22orkhid22 Posts: 2,226 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    If the grandparents don't live with the grandkids but they visit each other, will any of them remember each other after they part company? If they don't remember each other, how do grandparents send gifts?

I'm confused. Are your sims not remembering people? I booted two of my spares out of the legacy home and moved them in with their cousins. When their dad died, the son called to take his sister out to dinner to cheer her up following the loss. When his sister met him at the location he was crying, and sad. She had to do the "cheer up" interaction. He remained sad through the meal. Called the sister that was booted out over. She too was sad about the passing of their father despite no longer living in the home. I suspect if the kids have good relationships with their grandparents, they should remember them despite living in different homes.
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    Secondly, have we always had the career option "stay-at-home mom/dad? i noticed in the last family played after aging up the teen when the guru checked the relationship panel it said both parents were "stay-at-home"

Hmm I'm pretty sure this was always shown in the relationship panel. It's also what they answer when asked about their career by other sims, so I don't think that's new unless I missed something :)

I thought it said unemployed if they don't have a job. I'm going to check. Thanks
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member

I thought it said unemployed if they don't have a job. I'm going to check. Thanks

It depends on whether they have teen-or-younger children.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.

It depends on whether they have teen-or-younger children.

Ohhhhh