Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

so the patch should be today ?

Comments

• poeticnebulapoeticnebula Posts: 3,912 Member
    Simanite wrote: »
    What are the detective, Dine Out, dressing table and waterslide glitches/bugs? I haven't heard/encountered.

I don't know about the others but my kids can seem to access the dressing table from anywhere in the house. I've had them putting on makeup while eating, coloring, and playing on the computer when the dressing table was located on another level. I don't mind it though cause it's funny to watch.
    Origin ID: ForgottenAmber
    Twitch: ForgottenAmber
    Discord: ForgottenAmber

31710852153_4c3c66dea7.jpg

#BobSquad
    #BobSquadForever

Friend of Liam
  • SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    What are the detective, Dine Out, dressing table and waterslide glitches/bugs? I haven't heard/encountered.

I don't know about the others but my kids can seem to access the dressing table from anywhere in the house. I've had them putting on makeup while eating, coloring, and playing on the computer when the dressing table was located on another level. I don't mind it though cause it's funny to watch.

OMG! :lol:
  • DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    Neia wrote: »
    elelunicy wrote: »
    There's a bit in there where they speculate that because the system has Python and I believe C++ communicating with each other via Protobuf, this may be the cause of our time distortion/lag issues. Python and C++ usually don't interact or "talk" to each other, Protobuf is there to do it on their behalf. TwistedMexi speculated that it's possible this system is responsible for the time distortion, because having both C++ and Python is actually inefficient (they speculate Python was added as the game was rushed to online singleplayer), and the delays we may be feeling in the game may be delays caused by data slowly going from Python to Protobuf to C++ and then making the return trip. In a nutshell, the data of Sims 4 has a longer "path" to walk than the data of Sims 3 did, and that might cause bottlenecking or delays, and may be why things like x3 speed cause problems and make it difficult for the simulation to keep up. This also explains the differences in reaction between Sims 3 and Sims 4: Sims 3 simply freezes because it's one system that's become overburdened with things to simulate, thus it lags and locks up until it slowly gets certain processes out of the way and can pick up speed again. Sims 4? If all data must cross two systems, then yes it's conceivable that perhaps the Python end might keep running and keep simulating, unaware that there's been a delay on the C++ end, thus all Python systems snap back once they DO realize the delay and realize they must re-sync with C++'s work.
    This entire speculation is very wrong and I really hope people stop bringing it up - some people might mistake it as a fact and then spread it even further.

TS4 uses Python for a similar reason why TS2 and TS3 use C# for their AI/simulation (yes, TS2/3 also use two languages, instead of C++/Python they use C++/C#). Using a separate scripting language is extremely common in video game development. If you wanna know why you can read it here. The speculation that adding Python has something to do with the game previously being an online game is completely nonsense. It doesn't matter which language they ended up use for scripting; the game was never going to be all written in C++.

And TS4's simulation lag is something that occurs at the Python end and has nothing to do with the communication between C++ and Python. The time resync is a deliberate design choice at the Python end and has nothing to do with resync with C++. Instead of freezing like TS3 does when it lags, the time distortion is implemented on purpose to reduce the perceived lag by players. By the way, when TS3 freezes you'll also notice things like trees and stuff are still moving in the background; this is because the lagging occurs in C# (which handles gamplay) but the backend still runs fine. TS3 is not "one system" as you claimed; it's exactly the same as TS4.

Interesting. So what would you say can be done about the time distortion, if anything at all? If it's as natural as Sims 3's freezes, then it will only get worse.

Should also note that I'm not entirely sure how "purposeful" the implementation is since at the very least, it's being looked into. What makes you refer to it as intentional?

What they're looking into is what's causing the game to lag, not the time distortion itself (which is merely a symptom when the game lags). The time jumping back thing is intentional; otherwise you would see the clock visibly freezes now and then like it does in TS3. It's a clever way to make players feel like the game is lagging less than it actually is (who wants to play a game that stutters and freezes every 15 seconds?). Similarly, they also made animation to decouple from the simulation this time around. This is why you often see Sims standing around playing various idle animations but they are not doing anything. The decoupling of simulation and animation allows the game to appear to run, instead of just flat-out freezing like it does in TS3. Again this is a way to make players feel like the game is not lagging as much.

Right but you're making some rather bold claims here regarding intent which I'm unsure of how you could know their intent. I mean I'm no programmer, but it seems to me like this illusion of no lag is also less stable in the sense that...with Sims 3 when it'd freeze, it'd freeze. You knew exactly what you were getting and exactly when the problem was resolved (usually. plum horses causing repeated freezes...). In my experience with time distortion, it can often worsen, and it can worsen likely because you can continue to strain an already strained system without even knowing it's strained. I've actually had the lag get so intense that the menu was no longer pausing the game; I had to Ctrl-Alt-Del out.

You're claiming it's intentional, I'm asking how on earth you know it's intentional given that we have seemingly zero way of knowing their intent regarding such a topic.

They have given a talk about it at the game dev conf.

Can you source this? And even so I'd like to hear his answer.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    Neia wrote: »
    There's a bit in there where they speculate that because the system has Python and I believe C++ communicating with each other via Protobuf, this may be the cause of our time distortion/lag issues. Python and C++ usually don't interact or "talk" to each other, Protobuf is there to do it on their behalf. TwistedMexi speculated that it's possible this system is responsible for the time distortion, because having both C++ and Python is actually inefficient (they speculate Python was added as the game was rushed to online singleplayer), and the delays we may be feeling in the game may be delays caused by data slowly going from Python to Protobuf to C++ and then making the return trip. In a nutshell, the data of Sims 4 has a longer "path" to walk than the data of Sims 3 did, and that might cause bottlenecking or delays, and may be why things like x3 speed cause problems and make it difficult for the simulation to keep up. This also explains the differences in reaction between Sims 3 and Sims 4: Sims 3 simply freezes because it's one system that's become overburdened with things to simulate, thus it lags and locks up until it slowly gets certain processes out of the way and can pick up speed again. Sims 4? If all data must cross two systems, then yes it's conceivable that perhaps the Python end might keep running and keep simulating, unaware that there's been a delay on the C++ end, thus all Python systems snap back once they DO realize the delay and realize they must re-sync with C++'s work.
    This entire speculation is very wrong and I really hope people stop bringing it up - some people might mistake it as a fact and then spread it even further.

TS4 uses Python for a similar reason why TS2 and TS3 use C# for their AI/simulation (yes, TS2/3 also use two languages, instead of C++/Python they use C++/C#). Using a separate scripting language is extremely common in video game development. If you wanna know why you can read it here. The speculation that adding Python has something to do with the game previously being an online game is completely nonsense. It doesn't matter which language they ended up use for scripting; the game was never going to be all written in C++.

And TS4's simulation lag is something that occurs at the Python end and has nothing to do with the communication between C++ and Python. The time resync is a deliberate design choice at the Python end and has nothing to do with resync with C++. Instead of freezing like TS3 does when it lags, the time distortion is implemented on purpose to reduce the perceived lag by players. By the way, when TS3 freezes you'll also notice things like trees and stuff are still moving in the background; this is because the lagging occurs in C# (which handles gamplay) but the backend still runs fine. TS3 is not "one system" as you claimed; it's exactly the same as TS4.

Interesting. So what would you say can be done about the time distortion, if anything at all? If it's as natural as Sims 3's freezes, then it will only get worse.

Should also note that I'm not entirely sure how "purposeful" the implementation is since at the very least, it's being looked into. What makes you refer to it as intentional?

What they're looking into is what's causing the game to lag, not the time distortion itself (which is merely a symptom when the game lags). The time jumping back thing is intentional; otherwise you would see the clock visibly freezes now and then like it does in TS3. It's a clever way to make players feel like the game is lagging less than it actually is (who wants to play a game that stutters and freezes every 15 seconds?). Similarly, they also made animation to decouple from the simulation this time around. This is why you often see Sims standing around playing various idle animations but they are not doing anything. The decoupling of simulation and animation allows the game to appear to run, instead of just flat-out freezing like it does in TS3. Again this is a way to make players feel like the game is not lagging as much.

Right but you're making some rather bold claims here regarding intent which I'm unsure of how you could know their intent. I mean I'm no programmer, but it seems to me like this illusion of no lag is also less stable in the sense that...with Sims 3 when it'd freeze, it'd freeze. You knew exactly what you were getting and exactly when the problem was resolved (usually. plum horses causing repeated freezes...). In my experience with time distortion, it can often worsen, and it can worsen likely because you can continue to strain an already strained system without even knowing it's strained. I've actually had the lag get so intense that the menu was no longer pausing the game; I had to Ctrl-Alt-Del out.

You're claiming it's intentional, I'm asking how on earth you know it's intentional given that we have seemingly zero way of knowing their intent regarding such a topic.

They have given a talk about it at the game dev conf.

Can you source this? And even so I'd like to hear his answer.

It's called Multi-Actor Behavior Sequencing and is available on the GDC vault. I think the direct link was posted in the Simulation Tech Talk too.
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,581 Member

Hello
    You may like to post feedback on the issue on this thread on the AHQ EA site
    http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4-Bug-Reports/OPEN-VGSP-Children-use-any-table-counter-as-makeup-table/m-p/5820716#M32403
  • poeticnebulapoeticnebula Posts: 3,912 Member
    rosemow wrote: »

Hello
    You may like to post feedback on the issue on this thread on the AHQ EA site
    http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4-Bug-Reports/OPEN-VGSP-Children-use-any-table-counter-as-makeup-table/m-p/5820716#M32403

I would Rose, but I happen to like it the way it is. ;)
    Origin ID: ForgottenAmber
    Twitch: ForgottenAmber
    Discord: ForgottenAmber

31710852153_4c3c66dea7.jpg

#BobSquad
    #BobSquadForever

Friend of Liam
  • TravisBlackfoxTravisBlackfox Posts: 553 Member
    Hmmm so with the new patch ALL the stereos in my household are showing animations for being turned on and playing even though no sounds are coming from them. smh......I'm glad they removed the inappropriate calls to children, but they need to tell the NPCs to stop calling in the middle of the night to hang out lol I would love to hang out with y'all, but 3am on a work night, especially when in bed, is a bit too late.
  • Nomiko13Nomiko13 Posts: 1,497 Member
    I'm glad they fixed it to where adults cannot send our children inappropriate text messages. That happening was the reason why I kept my kids as toddlers forever because I was scared of it possibly triggering me. I know it wasn't intentional and kids probably have the same coding as adults.

So, thank you Maxis for nipping that issue in the bud. Thank you so much.
    ▼add/follow▼
    ●【youtube】【 sims 3 page】【gallery】●

mario_10.jpg
    ●|| free items | daily deals | cascades |thank you ||●
    ▲still waiting on sims 4 generations▲
    ▶owner of the store since 9/21/2017◀
  • QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    I wonder how long it'll be before they release a hotfix for the stereo thing.
  • sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    QueenMercy wrote: »
    I wonder how long it'll be before they release a hotfix for the stereo thing.
    Hard to say, I'm thinking and hoping no later than the day that Parenthood drops.
  • meeounmeeoun Posts: 2,173 Member
    THANK YOU <3 !
    Awesome patch Gurus!
    So excited for Parenthood GP
  • HopeyStarrHopeyStarr Posts: 1,276 Member
    I'm so glad swim laps was fixed. That was bugging me the most!
    R5PO75w.gif?1
    *:.。."It's great being ((Queen Bee))!".。.:*
    ★・・・・・・★・・・・・・★・・・・・・★
    ✧ :-"As long as I continue to believe then one day my ((dreams)) really will come true."✧ :-
  • angelchromeangelchrome Posts: 421 Member
    edited May 2017
    The new lamps are great. And I really like the way they redid the menu to load your games.
    New%20Menu_zpswebo1ydx.jpg

What's up with the blurry thumbnail images?
    I have the same issue in my game.
    C'mon it's 2017 not 1997...

edited to add: Even with blurry images, it is a definite step in the right direction for TS4 save files.
  • JumpingTrainsJumpingTrains Posts: 442 Member
    The new lamps are great. And I really like the way they redid the menu to load your games.

Ouch those images look really bad.
  • AnduarAnduar Posts: 156 Member
    For the adults no longer sending children inappropriate text messages thing. Does that apply to teens as well? grasping onto some straws here.
  • Superkam64Superkam64 Posts: 209 Member

It's strange, I went back and re-saved a bunch of my saves, and most thumbnails were blurry but a couple of them were clear. The blurry thumbnail may not be intended.

• angelchromeangelchrome Posts: 421 Member
    Superkam64 wrote: »
    It's strange, I went back and re-saved a bunch of my saves, and most thumbnails were blurry but a couple of them were clear. The blurry thumbnail may not be intended.
    It's likely that a game restart could be all that's necessary. I haven't done that yet.
    My mistake if that's all it is...
  • x_Always_Heart_xx_Always_Heart_x Posts: 567 Member
    So thankful for this patch. But GTW and Dine Out still need help, and canceling out an action and the sim continuing to do it is driving me nuts.
  • catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    meeoun wrote: »
    THANK YOU <3 !
    Awesome patch Gurus!

I thought it came with the patch.
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,579 Member
    meeoun wrote: »
    THANK YOU <3 !
    Awesome patch Gurus!

I thought it came with the patch.

Why would you think the GP would come with the patch?
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member

Could be tied to your graphics settings if you play on low graphics (I'm just guessing).
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Superkam64Superkam64 Posts: 209 Member
    Triplis wrote: »

Could be tied to your graphics settings if you play on low graphics (I'm just guessing).

I have it set to medium-high graphics, but even when I raised it, some thumbnails were still blurry.

Here's what my load game menu looks like: Screenshot%20599_zpsi3f9ldf6.png

Half of them are blurry, half of them not, it's so odd. Anyway, it's still a big improvement from before, and I love how I don't have to go through investigations to figure out which save file is which lol.

• SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    I have everything on highest and mine are still blurry.
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,579 Member
    I'll get into my game and see how mine looks like.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • liliaethliliaeth Posts: 1,087 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    I hope they can fix the festival spawning bugs, where one festival spawns on top of another one and objects spawn on top or inside of food carts making them inaccessible:

I'm surprised this still hasn't been fixed. It's been an issue since the launch of City Living.
    jonilla1 wrote: »
    I hope they finally fixed the time jumping bug. It's making the game almost unplayable for me.

And this is a bug that's been in the game since the launch of the base game, but has worsened since. I really wonder if it's something they can fix. To me, it suggests that it's a problem with the engine -- perhaps it just doesn't support the simulations ongoing in TS4. The other games never had this problem. TS3 froze due to poor optimization, but it never once had issues with time having to jump forward and backwards, as well as time going on even after pausing.

Really? I play primarily in City Living, and I've never had it happen;