Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

All EP/SP gone

Comments

• Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    Faerie197 wrote: »
    I was having no issues until this month, which is why I'm getting annoyed. It started up before the last Origin update too.

Some people have had same issues your having way before this update. Consider yourself lucky you weren't hit before now. I have the old version of the sims 3 installed that does not require origin. When I had the sims 4 installed I had constant origin problems. Having to uninstall and reinstall origin so many times. I gave up , uninstalled the sims 4 and don't use origin.
  • Options
    Faerie197Faerie197 Posts: 1,077 Member
    edited May 2017
    Well, after over an hour... the prognosis from EA boils down to "We have no idea, but try this anyway".

And "this" boils down to "reinstall all your EP and SP".
    Fear not the fae, for they are harmless. Anger not the fae, beware their wraith. Harm not the fae, fear the Faerie Knight.
  • Options
    Well, after over an hour... the prognosis from EA boils down to "We have no idea, but try this anyway".

And "this" boils down to "reinstall all your EP and SP".

O would try uninstalling and reinstalling origin and then rebooting your computer. If that does not work reset your game. documents> Electronic arts folder> sims 3 folder. Pull that sims 3 folder to desktop. Start your game, it will generate a new sims 3 folder without having to reinstall. Does your game now work?
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    @Faerie197 - Wait, I'm detecting a pattern here. There was yet another Origin update released (to me anyway) just yesterday. It seems to have the same or very similar version number to the one that was released late last week, so it's probably a re-do on their part. Your packs disappearing seems to be coinciding with some of these Origin update releases.

Are you accepting the updates? The game/Launcher reportedly won't work properly even in offline mode if the Origin client "realizes" there is a newer version out there. And if you are accepting these successive updates, perhaps your Origin client alone needs to be reinstalled as something might be going wrong with it -- this is very common and why we keep recommending that step before worrying about the base game and pack installs themselves.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    Faerie197Faerie197 Posts: 1,077 Member
    I have origin set to update upon launching.

It was EA's tech support that told me to basically reinstall my EP and SP this time. Or rather, what they said to do was create a backup of the program folder, delete the original folder, start downloading Sims 3 again then pause the DL, copy the newly made backup into the program folder, then resume the download so it checks for missing files. Which basically means "reinstall everything" since when I did that it decided the entire backup folder was 'broken'.

Uhm, isn't checking for missing/broken files then replacing them what the Repair option in the origin launcher is suppose to do?
    Fear not the fae, for they are harmless. Anger not the fae, beware their wraith. Harm not the fae, fear the Faerie Knight.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    I have origin set to update upon launching.

It was EA's tech support that told me to basically reinstall my EP and SP this time. Or rather, what they said to do was create a backup of the program folder, delete the original folder, start downloading Sims 3 again then pause the DL, copy the newly made backup into the program folder, then resume the download so it checks for missing files. Which basically means "reinstall everything" since when I did that it decided the entire backup folder was 'broken'.

Uhm, isn't checking for missing/broken files then replacing them what the Repair option in the origin launcher is suppose to do?
    I don't know. I don't even think EA knows sometimes (slight exaggeration).

It's just that not all of us are having that problem or with quite the same frequency that you are and thought I would pass along what seemed to be a clue as to its trigger, in case that was worth anything. One difference though, I never have the auto-update mechanism on. I always choose to update Origin when the offer comes up, after reading the (usually unhelpful) release notes. Probably wasn't worth mentioning, carry on then.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    Christopher69BChristopher69B Posts: 159 Member
    @phoebebebe13 I re purchased my sims 3 game again via g2a dont fancy paying loads of money. and everything seems to be working fine now. I just need to rebuy all my expansion packs. I also managed to recover my old files from the origin version of sims 3 I had before.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    @phoebebebe13 I re purchased my sims 3 game again via g2a dont fancy paying loads of money. and everything seems to be working fine now. I just need to rebuy all my expansion packs. I also managed to recover my old files from the origin version of sims 3 I had before.
    Hope everything works out for you. But possibly for the benefit of others, I will restate what has already been said. G2A is not an authorized reseller of game codes. Taking this route will quite possibly put the player back where they were before and if EA sees enough flags raised, they may be facing a deeper ban on ever being able to get the game to run. Again, as has been said, I wouldn't recommend this route.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    @igazor I didnt do it through origin this time so I should be fine. im playing it through steam now. I have uninstalled origin from my computer, im just downloading pets at the moment on steam. ive only brought one EP for now.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    @igazor I didnt do it through origin this time so I should be fine. im playing it through steam now. I have uninstalled origin from my computer, im just downloading pets at the moment on steam. ive only brought one EP for now.
    So you purchased codes for the Steam version of the game through G2A? I didn't even realize that was possible, but anyway yes that does take Origin out of the picture if it really works out as you want it to.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    @igazor yeah I purchased it on G2A and then they give you a CD key for steam. Origin was most likely the reason what caused it last time. But ive now completed removed it from my pc.
  • Options
    @igazor sims 3 pets ep has finished downloading now, and it now shows the icon for the EP at the bottom of my game laucher. So im guessing origin would of been the main problem. ill be staying away from origin now.
  • Options
    Dusty_BootsDusty_Boots Posts: 236 Member
    @igazor yeah I purchased it on G2A and then they give you a CD key for steam. Origin was most likely the reason what caused it last time. But ive now completed removed it from my pc.

Just like Origin is doing, Steam also regularly revokes invalid game keys/codes when/if they are discovered. Because Origin seems to be on a rampage, I'd guess that a high-ish level fraudster has been discovered and dealt with accordingly. I have little doubt that Steam has noticed the activity and will very likely increase and update their own security databases and go on a house cleaning binge in the near future. That G2A website has a reputation, a very naughty one. Most every dev/pub business is well aware of them from past experiences. You may be fine, the code(s) may be legit. Then again, they may not. I hope it works out for you.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

Just like Origin is doing, Steam also regularly revokes invalid game keys/codes when/if they are discovered. Because Origin seems to be on a rampage, I'd guess that a high-ish level fraudster has been discovered and dealt with accordingly. I have little doubt that Steam has noticed the activity and will very likely increase and update their own security databases and go on a house cleaning binge in the near future. That G2A website has a reputation, a very naughty one. Most every dev/pub business is well aware of them from past experiences. You may be fine, the code(s) may be legit. Then again, they may not. I hope it works out for you.

You would think if someone was buying the game on steam , they would buy on steam direct (rolls eyes) Steam also has sales on the sims 3 a few times a year at 75% off . I would wait for the sale rather than buying codes from some shady seller ;)
  • Options
    edited May 2017

You would think if someone was buying the game on steam , they would buy on steam direct (rolls eyes) Steam also has sales on the sims 3 a few times a year at 75% off . I would wait for the sale rather than buying codes from some shady seller ;)

I'm with you on that! I'll see your *rolls eyes and wink* and raise you a *facepalm and an aargh* I've learned more about this sordid business of grey market fraudulent keys in the past 24 hours than I really wanted to know. Stupid me...(plum? How about: silly, will that pass muster? ok then) Silly me, actually doing honest work to earn a paycheck! :p My war with Alexander in Civ VI went on a bit too long for my bad back to sit in this chair. I'm gonna down 2 Tylenol and its off to bed for me :sleeping:
  • Options
    @Dusty_Boots it should be fine one of my friends told me he always buys from there and hasn't had any issues with buying codes from there. Last to it was origin causing the problem so now that is gone from my computer.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

I'm with you on that! I'll see your *rolls eyes and wink* and raise you a *facepalm and an aargh* I've learned more about this sordid business of grey market fraudulent keys in the past 24 hours than I really wanted to know. plum me...(plum? How about: silly, will that pass muster? ok then) Silly me, actually doing honest work to earn a paycheck! :p My war with Alexander in Civ VI went on a bit too long for my bad back to sit in this chair. I'm gonna down 2 Tylenol and its off to bed for me :sleeping:

Yes in the past 48 hours people come in this forum to learn about fraudulent game keys :p Someone posted the sims 3 store is down for maintenance. I wonder what they are up to (rolls eyes)

ADD I logged into the sims 3 store. no problem. I just get a notice the sims 3 store is not secure. It's possible they are up to putting more security on there.
    Post edited by phoebebebe13 on
  • Options
    MeggyPlumbobMeggyPlumbob Posts: 46 Member
    I purchased the bundle off Steam of the Sims 3 that includes Pets, Generations and Seasons. I've learnt my lesson.
  • Options
    @MeggyPlumbob I also play mine on steam now as well. im staying clear of Origin if I can I brought them from G2A which I dont see will cause an issue cause I brought the codes are for steam and one of my friends has never had any problems with using coes from there before. I also got a email from EA this morning stating that my expansion were disabled due to buying them from a third party retailer. The only problem I have is I will need all the expansion packs in order to load my game save which will take some time to download.
  • Options
    I purchased the bundle off Steam of the Sims 3 that includes Pets, Generations and Seasons. I've learnt my lesson.

I'm very glad to hear that you're protecting your money and purchases by using a reliable authorized seller. I've been gaming since it all began, and I've never used a shady source nor ever had any issue like this wave of revoked keys we're seeing now. The security and peace of mind are worth it to me. And yeah, it may be a bit corny but I respect the game developers too much to participate in any activity that may cause them financial losses.

If you're patient, Steam's summer sale is rumored to begin around June 22, as Simasaurus09 has posted. That's what I did when I repurchased all of TS3's content, it cost me about $125usd during a great Steam sale. The codes that Steam gives you can be registered at that Register A Game page at the EA Store website. I registered everything, its a nice backup plan if anything goes wrong.

The only TS3 content they do not sell is Dragon Valley & Roaring Heights. They can be purchased from Origin. Then, using the game Launcher, you can download them from your store's My Purchases page and you never need to use/install the Origin Client. The store content works the same way.
  • Options

Steam should be having a sale on the game soon. They usually have 75% off.

Allot of people innocently and unknowingly bought codes off ebay or other unauthorized sellers. Unfortunately EA is making the player pay the price.
  • Options

@MeggyPlumbob I also play mine on steam now as well. im staying clear of Origin if I can I brought them from G2A which I dont see will cause an issue cause I brought the codes are for steam and one of my friends has never had any problems with using coes from there before. I also got a email from EA this morning stating that my expansion were disabled due to buying them from a third party retailer. The only problem I have is I will need all the expansion packs in order to load my game save which will take some time to download.

Keep admitting your buying illegal codes off an unauthorized dealer for steam. EA may eventually read these posts if they have not already and will probably crack down on steam with illegal codes too. very soon ;) EA is on the war path. If your going to play on steam I advise buying codes directly from steam. If your going to buy codes from EA buy directly from origin.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    If anyone is looking for me on June 22, I will probably be "standing in line" at Steam to get mine for if and when I want to convert play over to the Steam platform. Those discounts are just too good to pass up. :D

I'm sorry, but this is a game forum that many others read now and will do so for years to come. The OP may do whatever they like, but a recommendation to continue using G2A for keys based on the experiences of a friend of someone we don't know here will, I hope, fall a bit flat as compared to what the rest of us are saying in front of others trying to make their own purchase decisions.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    igazor wrote: »
    If anyone is looking for me on June 22, I will probably be "standing in line" at Steam to get mine for if and when I want to convert play over to the Steam platform. Those discounts are just too good to pass up. :D

It is a great back up plan unless EA decides to not renew their contract with steam. ;) But don't worry if that happens EA will just tell you to take those steam codes and register them back to origin :p At least you can go back to using the 1.67 patch while steam still exists
  • Options
    igazor wrote: »

I'm sorry, but this is a game forum that many others read now and will do so for years to come. The OP may do whatever they like, but a recommendation to continue using G2A for keys based on the experiences of a friend of someone we don't know here will, I hope, fall a bit flat as compared to what the rest of us are saying in front of others trying to make their own purchase decisions.

I'll be the dopey grinning grey haired woman pushing you out of my way :D