Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New computer - Transfer files

JSimmyJSimmy Posts: 51 Member
Hey I want to be able to transfer all my sims 2 families, mods and cc to my new computer. Is there anyway I can do that! Any help is much appreciated!

Comments

• SataiDelennnSataiDelennn Posts: 1,265 Member
    Did you make a backup copy of all the files from your old computer before shutting it down for the final time? If so, you can use the portable hard drive you saved everything to, and transfer the files to your new computer.
  • JSimmyJSimmy Posts: 51 Member
    I have shut it completely down yet, I transferred the sims 3 & 4. But do I move all the files in the folder or just some to the new sims 2 folders?
    JSimmy wrote: »
    I have shut it completely down yet, I transferred the sims 3 & 4. But do I move all the files in the folder or just some to the new sims 2 folders?

If you HAVE shut it down as you say, then no, you can't transfer anything.
  • JSimmyJSimmy Posts: 51 Member
    Have NOT typo! I tried to transfer but my families didn't so I just moved all my mods and cc. Oh well I'll just start some new generations. Thanks for your help though!
    There should be a way to transfer your families. I THINK you need to go into the neighborhood files and transfer those, but don't try it until someone else around here comes in to confirm because I don't want you trying it if I'm wrong.

Do you only have the base game, or do you have the UC? I know that in the base game only, you need to go into the neighborhood files, but I don't have the UC, so I can't guide you on that one.

Anyway, you're welcome. I'm sorry my assistance was so limited.

Again though, wait a day or two for someone else to see this thread and help. There are some very knowledgeable people around here who know much more than I do about transferring the files you'll need. I do know though, that you SHOULD be able to transfer your families.
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    Base game only or all EP's doesn't effect how the games are saved.

Best option would be to grab the entire Sims 2 folder in My Documents if you've got something that will hold it. Then you won't miss anything.

Since most folders aren't used you can grab the folders with relevant things in it.

Downloads - has your mods and CC, and I see you've got that file

Neighborhoods - You can grab the entire thing or just the inside folders: N001, N052, G001, etc. E001, F001, G001, N001, N002, and N003 are the neighborhoods that shipped with the game. N004 and higher are your custom neighborhoods.

SavedSims - You won't have this folder if you've never opened BodyShop. I don't think installing Sims is enough to generate the folder, but I don't know. But if you've made Sims in BodyShop, they'll be in that folder.

LotCatalog - If you've saved any lots you've built to the bin or installed any lots you don't have the .sims2pack file for anymore, this is where you find them.

PackagedLots - If you've ever packaged a lot to file, this is where they end up.

SC4Terrains - If you've downloaded/created any custom neighborhoods for Sims 2, this is where those files go.

PetBreeds - If you've saved a pet breed from a born in game or created in CAS pet, this is where they go.
    Thank you, Seera.

After reading everything you posted, I do have one question re: bodyshop and Sims created in it and supposed to being in a "SavedSims" folder. If this is where they're supposed to be, why does the bodyshop put an icon of my created Sim on my desktop? I don't want my SavedSims there.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    Thank you, Seera.

After reading everything you posted, I do have one question re: bodyshop and Sims created in it and supposed to being in a "SavedSims" folder. If this is where they're supposed to be, why does the bodyshop put an icon of my created Sim on my desktop? I don't want my SavedSims there.

When you package a Sim in Bodyshop, after making them then going to the Package option, the package file is put on your desktop. If you only make a Sim in Body Shop then it is placed in your SavedSims folder. :)

Rflong7 wrote: »
    Thank you, Seera.

When you package a Sim in Bodyshop, after making them then going to the Package option, the package file is put on your desktop. If you only make a Sim in Body Shop then it is placed in your SavedSims folder. :)

I never went to the Package folder thing before today. The icon was put on my desktop the very first day I used the bodyshop. Can I put the icon in the Package folder to get it off my desktop? I don't want it there.
    edited May 2017
    Thank you, Seera.

I never went to the Package folder thing before today. The icon was put on my desktop the very first day I used the bodyshop. Can I put the icon in the Package folder to get it off my desktop? I don't want it there.

The only thing the game puts in the PackageLots folder is from in-game lots you package to file. Which doesn't mean you can't move the Sims into the package folder or anywhere else on your computer.
    You can make a folder just for your packaged Sims and put them anywhere. :)
    OK, but when I went into the SavedSims (I meant the SavedSims folder, not the Package folder) folder, there was already something in there with a weird file name (all letters and numbers I think). So for the icon on my desktop can I put the icon in there or do I need to make a new folder, like something called, "SavedSims2" or something? Like I said, I just want to get the icon off my desktop and I don't understand why the bodyshop put it there instead of in a folder automatically.
    OK, but when I went into the SavedSims (I meant the SavedSims folder, not the Package folder) folder, there was already something in there with a weird file name (all letters and numbers I think). So for the icon on my desktop can I put the icon in there or do I need to make a new folder, like something called, "SavedSims2" or something? Like I said, I just want to get the icon off my desktop and I don't understand why the bodyshop put it there instead of in a folder automatically.

Neither Sims 2 nor Body Shop puts anything on the desktop that you need to put anything into for the game to work or to have Sims show up in game.

The files with the numbers and letters are the Sims you've installed from downloading or Sims you've made in Body Shop (the ones you packaged in Body Shop would have a version in this folder from creating them).

So what icon on your desktop are you talking about? What is the literal name and file extension (.sims2pack or .package are the only two options)?

You can put it anywhere but the game won't see it. I would make a folder in my Documents for them, if you want them.

Ah, I see. OK, thank you.
    Seera1024 wrote: »

Neither Sims 2 nor Body Shop puts anything on the desktop that you need to put anything into for the game to work or to have Sims show up in game.

The files with the numbers and letters are the Sims you've installed from downloading or Sims you've made in Body Shop (the ones you packaged in Body Shop would have a version in this folder from creating them).

So what icon on your desktop are you talking about? What is the literal name and file extension (.sims2pack or .package are the only two options)?

It doesn't have an extension file. When I finished making this Sim in the bodyshop, it asked me to save it and gave me the chance to name it, so I named her Clarice, and it then saved it to my desktop. I just moved it to a newly made folder in My Documents, and under the "type" it says, "SIMS2PACK File."

It doesn't have an extension file. When I finished making this Sim in the bodyshop, it asked me to save it and gave me the chance to name it, so I named her Clarice, and it then saved it to my desktop. I just moved it to a newly made folder in My Documents, and under the "type" it says, "SIMS2PACK File."

Ah, ok. And Sims2pack is the file extension. File type/extension are the same thing.

You don't have to do the Packaging step to get them to show up in CAS. You just have to make them in the Build/Clone section and hit the ok button in Body Shop.

You only need to use the Package Sim side of Body Shop if you're wanting to share a Sim with someone.
    OK, but that isn't my question. My question is why does it dump it to the desktop. I don't want things going there. I mean, I've moved it to its own folder, but if I make another Sim, how do I stop it from dumping another one on my desktop?
    edited May 2017
    Don't package the Sim- @SataiDelennn
    Making the Sim is different than saving in to a package file.

Build a Sim - 2 options: Create a Sim and Package a Sim.

Going to the Build or Clone a Sim section is where you create the Sim and they are saved to the SavedSims folder in the EA Games folder. Making them there is what makes them available in game CAF/S. :)

Going to the Package Sims is where the program packages the Sim and leaves it on your desktop. You don't have to package them to have them in the game. :)

eaNVIox.jpg

This shows my created Sim for in game in the Build/Clone a Sim section. :)
    B1m72PL.jpg

You Stop it by not packaging them, doing that is not necessary. :)

OK, but then if I want to make changes to them later on, how do I do that if I haven't packaged them? And when in the game, how do I access them for different neighborhoods if I don't package them?
    OK, but then if I want to make changes to them later on, how do I do that if I haven't packaged them? And when in the game, how do I access them for different neighborhoods if I don't package them?

They're saved in the Create and CLONE section. Click on the Sim in the panel, then at the bottom of the program, near the trashcan icon, is the Clone option. :)
    It will bring that Sim back into Body Shop and you can edit it again plus you can save it again. I have several that look nearly the same showing in the picture because I edit them while I'm making them. :)

Clicking on the big green area with the + sign makes a New Sim. Clicking on a Sim and then the Clone icon makes it where you can edit the Sim Clone. It won't save the changes to the original but it makes a clone with your changes. :)
    If it doesn't save to the original, what do I do then, delete the original?

Depends on if you want to get rid of the original or not.

OK, thanks. Does it matter if I've used the original in the game? I haven't yet, I'm just curious.

OK, thanks. Does it matter if I've used the original in the game? I haven't yet, I'm just curious.

Nope. Both are fine to use in game. Can even have them both in the neighborhood at the same time if you wanted.

Nope. Both are fine to use in game. Can even have them both in the neighborhood at the same time if you wanted.

Thanks, I meant for deleting though. If I've already used them in game (which I haven't, but if I decide to) and then decide I don't want the original anymore if I make changes to her, will it affect her having already been used in the game?