Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How did you get introduced or start playing The Sims games?

MinkFurMinkFur Posts: 164 Member
edited September 2016 in Off Topic Chat
I always found it interesting that a lot of simmers grew up with the Sims games and some didn't. So can you share your stories of how you started playing The Sims games? I'd be very interested in reading them

My mom introduced me to The Sims games when I was 8 (originally the sims 2). She was a young mom, so when i was 8 she was still very into the sims 2 :). I saw her playing on the computer and asked if i could play, then from there I was addicted :smiley:. I'll never forget this experience ever.

note: I'm 18 now.

WOW! So much positive feedback, i'm glad i got to read all of your wonderful stories into how you started playing. Idk why, but in the back of my mind, I expected depressing answers.
newsig_zps30nrzgoc.png
Post edited by MinkFur on

Comments

• foxx_fennecfoxx_fennec Posts: 761 Member
    My oldest cousin got TS1 for her 12th birthday (I was almost 7 at the time), and sometimes we would play it together when I came over to visit. My parents wouldn't let me have a copy of the game myself, since I was too young at the time, but they eventually gave it to me for my 12th birthday. I got TS3 a few years later and TS4 a few weeks or so ago.
    Origin ID: foxx-fennec
  • PolyrhythmPolyrhythm Posts: 2,789 Member
    My older sister used to play TS1 and TS2, though I was pretty young and it looked boring to me lol (I was only 8 when TS2 came out)
    Once I got older though I decided to try it starting with 3, then eventually went back and played 2 as well and enjoyed them.
    :*:,:*:*:*::*:,:*:*:*::
    v5Yd2X5.png
  • UmbralFlowerUmbralFlower Posts: 4,494 Member
    I have a similar story as foxx_fennec. The Summer my dad retired from the army we moved into my uncle's rental house...and my cousin had the TS1 so I played it all the time when we weren't playing with dolls lol. That Christmas my parents bought me TS1 and Livin Large. I was only 8 at the time...and even now my parents encourage my Sims addiction.
    ~*-*-*~ My SimLit: The Echoed Fragments || A Tale of Love and Fame ~*-*-*~
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,405 Member
    When Sims 1 was released, Maxis had an advertisement contract with the big German newspaper BILD. Sims didn't get a newspaper, they got BILD in the game. When my father subscribed to BILD in 2000, he got TS1 as a present and gave it to me. Since then I never stopped playing.

Interestingly, I myself have worked for many years as a newspaper journalist. When TS4 came out, our newspaper was closed and I lost my job. And TS4 was the first iteration that scrapped newspapers. Now I'm working as writer and layouter in a big company's marketing department and my job is sometimes as colorful as TS4. So in some respects the game reflects my own life.
  • PandypinkPandypink Posts: 165 Member
    I was first introduced by seeing Freeplay in the AppStore and giving it a try. I then quickly began to hate it lol since it was taking so long to get money. Coincidently, a couple days later I went to my cousins who had the PS1 Sims game. Inside, I knew I actually liked the idea of Sims so I gave it a go and fell in love. Soon enough, I went back to Freeplay and got all the Wii versions of the game. Once my family got a second laptop, I bought the computer games which I had been researching for the past year lol waiting for the moment I'd be able to play. Now, 2 years later, I own Sims 1-4 and love them so much. I even learned how many of my friends played the game too once I got into it.
    Sims 3 Wishlist
  • jimmysnanjimmysnan Posts: 8,303 Member
    I was introduced to the sims 1 when my son (42) played it as a child. He played it for awhile, then he did not play it so much, so Mom when she had time played it. Not too into it at that time though then grandson (18) as a child played the sims 2. I was going through my first bout of cancer and he thought that I might like to play the game to take my mind off of my chemo treatments. He was right, I could play the game and basically forget that I was having a hard time with the chemo. He left it on the computer he played here at my house, so I could play it, as he was on to the shoot-um-ups by then. Then I purchased the sims 3 on my own, when I was going through chemo for the second bout of cancer, I was unable to play that well on a new computer I had built for the sims, (a good gaming rig) and so I did not get much pleasure out of that, and learned more about the inner workings of a computer than I care to. I received the sims 4 as a gift from a very dear and caring friend, and now I am in my third time for cancer treatments, and am having a good time with it. The computer I have is way too much for just playing the sims, so I am told by grandson, but the game plays wonderful and smooth, so I am happily going through my treatments, and enjoying my sims time. So I guess that son and grandson got me interested in simming. The rest is up to me, as they have moved on.

I also used to tell my students (7th grade) that I played and they gave me some pointers and tricks, and I was able to bond with them more fully as I talked to them about my rig and what I wanted to do with it, and what I was doing with the game. Maybe some of you on the forums were my former students, you just never know, as I never said my screen name. I have been retired one year.
  • AvaSims4080AvaSims4080 Posts: 810 Member
    I remember walking into a games store with my Mum and looking around for something to buy my brother for his birthday. The Sims 3 instantly catched my eye, a life simulation game was something I'd wanted to play for ages. I begged and I pleaded and one day after school, there it was. I fell in love with the concept of having children and watching them grow up. I suggested it to my younger sister and she loves it.
  • ShakuahiShakuahi Posts: 129 Member
    I don't remember how old I was, but I was a kid. My cousin told me that there is a game in which you can create a family, build a house, dress people as you want (he was referring to the sims 1). And I remember that I said 'oh, this is too good to be true' because I was at this age when you play with dolls so for me it was like dolls on computer - something perfect, because I was into computers alot. ;) I played sims for the first time a couple months later and to be honest I don't remember how it was, but I still remember this first time when I heard about sims and it was like hearing a story about lost paradise or forgotten treasure... seemed too perfect to be true. :) But it was true - game was perfect for me. :)
    ronswanson1.jpg?quality=85&strip=info&w=920
  • Colorist40Colorist40 Posts: 7,103 Member
    I always would go to the mall and see all these neato looking boxes containing computer games. I saw some like civilization that I thought might be fun, but problem was I had no computer (never owned one up to this point), and I so wished I could play it. I just didn't think at the time the game would be fun enough to justify buying a computer just for that, so I sighed and walked away. Then one day I saw the box for the sims 1 where it said you could create sims and play out their lives. I just knew that I had to have that game as it was so right up my alley, so I waited for my tax returns about 6 months lol, and used them to buy a computer and the rest is history. I did by the way get the civilization game and didn't enjoy it as much as I thought, so I am glad I waited. lol Sims is about the only game I play except for a really old one I picked up called the movies which I still find fun today. I have all the sims games, but can't get 1 to work on my windows ten sadly.
  • CementCement Posts: 3,505 Member
    My brother had Sims 2 for console he borrowed from a friend. He initially borrowed it because he thought it'd be something I'd like.
    And he was right.
    He brought it along when we visited our summer house and surprised me with it, and my god we made the worst family ever. It was hilarious. I always think about the struggle we had and the really terrible, terrible backstories we had for all of them.
    It was more like a one time thing, where we'd occasionally play it together to try to succeed and laugh when they fail miserably, but that was it.

When my best friend in elementary's older sister showed me she had the sims 3, I was interested for a bit since The Sims in general was familiar to me, but it wasn't the first on my mind since I was mostly staying up to play MMOs. I felt like simming around late high school, so I bought 3 and Generations for cheap at a garage sale somewhere. ...Then abruptly lost them somewhere in my room :joy:

I then came back (for good, I guess) around when Sims 4 was released 'cause I'm now an adult with money in my bank account and I felt like frivolously spending it on games ;)I am a great decision maker
    I keep playing nowadays since it's relaxing in comparison to the other games I have. :)
    Colorist40 wrote: »
    I always would go to the mall and see all these neato looking boxes containing computer games. I saw some like civilization that I thought might be fun, but problem was I had no computer (never owned one up to this point), and I so wished I could play it. I just didn't think at the time the game would be fun enough to justify buying a computer just for that, so I sighed and walked away. Then one day I saw the box for the sims 1 where it said you could create sims and play out their lives. I just knew that I had to have that game as it was so right up my alley, so I waited for my tax returns about 6 months lol, and used them to buy a computer and the rest is history. I did by the way get the civilization game and didn't enjoy it as much as I thought, so I am glad I waited. lol Sims is about the only game I play except for a really old one I picked up called the movies which I still find fun today. I have all the sims games, but can't get 1 to work on my windows ten sadly.

I have them all too, and I can't get the sims1 to play on mine either, I have tried several things, to no avail. They play partially but not enough to make them fun and they only play one game before I have to re-install them all. Just not worth the time. I wish that EA would make them a download. Such a waste having them and not able to play them.
  • link4566link4566 Posts: 59 Member
    When I was a little kid, my older brother and I used to go to my Aunt's house regularity for family gathering. We'd often spend time in my cousin's room playing computer. That's when she introduced Sims 1 to us! It was amazing!! Sure, we were playing on a crummy Windows 1998 computer, but it felt magical regardless.

Fast forward, and all my friends had Sims 1 except me. So every time I visited someone's house I would beg to watch them play Sims. Finally my best friend said "here, you can have my copy," and I was glued to the computer ever since... (Until Sims 2 came out of course!)
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,935 Member
    I liked building games very much, so I was looking for one in the internet. And this is the story how I found The Sims game. The first game I got is The Sims 2.
    jimmysnan wrote: »

I have them all too, and I can't get the sims1 to play on mine either, I have tried several things, to no avail. They play partially but not enough to make them fun and they only play one game before I have to re-install them all. Just not worth the time. I wish that EA would make them a download. Such a waste having them and not able to play them.

I just bought the Complete Collection off EBay and after lots of searching got my game to work perfect on Windows 10. I posted a forum about it if you are interested :smile:http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/897100/installing-sims-1-windows-10-solution-found#latest
    Windows 10 blocked some program lots of these old games ran on but players have released fixed versions that act like your disc is really a digital game so it works. You still need discs for the fix to work so it is nothing illegal + it was released in a forum post here. I think if you have all the packs, the fix should work just like the Complete Collection if you want to try.
    Sims 3 Wishlist
    Pandypink wrote: »

I just bought the Complete Collection off EBay and after lots of searching got my game to work perfect on Windows 10. I posted a forum about it if you are interested :smile:http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/897100/installing-sims-1-windows-10-solution-found#latest
    Windows 10 blocked some program lots of these old games ran on but players have released fixed versions that act like your disc is really a digital game so it works. You still need discs for the fix to work so it is nothing illegal + it was released in a forum post here. I think if you have all the packs, the fix should work just like the Complete Collection if you want to try.

Thank you I will try that now. Hope it works I will come back and let you know. Sorry OP we are off topic.
  • MinnieMouseMinnieMouse Posts: 262 Member
    I saw the Sims games when I was growing up, but I wasn't allowed to have them (let's just say my parents were very... strict ;) ). When I was in college, my best friend (now husband) introduced me to TS1, because it was one of his favorite games. I almost gave up on it though, because I spent a lot of time creating my family and house, only to have it immediately burn to the ground after trying to make a grilled cheese sandwich. :D But he convinced me to stick with it, and I am SO glad he did. He gifted me TS3 the following year, and after that, I was completely hooked on the Sims. TS3/TS4 are pretty much the only games I've played for the past few years (with a few short-lived exceptions). It is definitely my favorite game series of all times, and it just never gets old for me. :)
    Pandypink wrote: »

Thank you I will try that now. Hope it works I will come back and let you know. Sorry OP we are off topic.

I have tried that, the games I have are the singles, they do not let me install them even I do not get the launcher to install them I get the launcher to play them but then when I click it does not play. Maybe we need to PM as this is taking over this post!
  • LunaNovaLunaNova Posts: 1,239 Member
    I was out for a picnic with some family friends and a girl who was a year older than me was telling me about the sims! I demanded to go round her house and play it and i've been addicted ever since XD
    tumblr_ox7j4tmNjd1wqkiw6o1_1280.png
    //Sims Tumblr Here-MoonPhase Simblr//Berry Sims Here- MoonBerry Sims//
    Let me make you a cute forum avatar [Closed right noww!! will re-open closer to cats and dogs!] //
  • ShakuahiShakuahi Posts: 129 Member
    I saw the Sims games when I was growing up, but I wasn't allowed to have them (let's just say my parents were very... strict ;)

This reminds me... I once let my dad play sims 2. That was a huge mistake. He made this family of the ugliest sims I've ever seen, named them like the people he didn't like and dressed them really, really bad. I was really mad at him because in my opinion he wasn't playing right (remember, I was a kid) and we had these huge fight, because I didn't want him to play anymore (I was afraid that this ugly sims will destroy my game) and he insist to keep playing until they all die. My parent weren't strict. ;)

ronswanson1.jpg?quality=85&strip=info&w=920
    @jimmysnan Sure we can do that because I think I may still have a fix for single discs. Do you mind messaging me first because I have never used PM here so I'm not sure how that works. Sorry everybody for the off topic.
    Sims 3 Wishlist
  • Colorist40Colorist40 Posts: 7,103 Member

So sorry it is the same for you. I would love to play sims 1 again. I could play it before the windows 10, and it was a real challenge that is for sure. At least I have sims 2,3 to fall back on.

• husseinandalihusseinandali Posts: 2,622 Member
    it was my cousin, i went to his house once and he was playing sims 1 i got so attached to the game and for a year or so i went everyday to his house and we played sims 1 togther and the game was stuck in my mind, 8 years later i got sims 3 for my self and then got sims 2 for free and then now iam stuck with sims 4

and now i own every thing in this series

ok i feel badley great
    yondu-guardians1.jpg
    over here i post my cc
    new: https://simsworkshop.net/members/g1g2.1032/
    old: modthesims.info/m/8847624
    you may know me as g1g2

• DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    My oldest sister used to play TS1 and TS2 on the computer when I was a kid, and I would always watch her. After she moved out and we didn't have a computer anymore, my mother played The Sims for the Gamecube, and I would always take over.
    I played that for years, but took a long break, until my friend introduced me to The Sims 3. The game had already been out for a couple of years, so I had some catching up to do.

And I've been playing and following ever since. Now, I've managed to pass on the love for The Sims to my nephew and sister-in-law as well.
  • aprilroseaprilrose Posts: 1,832 Member
    I was 12 or 13 when I discovered The Sims. I went to Target looking for a new game to play and I saw Hot Date. I bought it, took it home and tried to install it but discovered that I couldn't because I didn't have the base game. So I had my dad take me back to the store so I could get the base game and the rest is history.
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

• PurpleNightOwlPurpleNightOwl Posts: 205 Member
    When I first heard of The Sims, my brother's friend brought home The Sims Bustin' Out on the PS2. I was about 7 at the time and I'd always wanted to play a game where it was almost like playing with dollhouses. They let me play it for a bit but because I was young I didn't really get how to play it, and so I got stuck and gave up. But I still looked out for The Sims even then.
    When I was about 10-11 my mum brought me The Sims 2 Pets for PS2 (can't remember if it was for my birthday, Christmas or just a gift) and I tried to play it, but again was stumped by the rules. I found it hard to get my Sims to interact with other Sims and pets and couldn't juggle the Sims' needs, so I put the game on the shelf. For a year it gathered dust but I kept it because I was intrigued. I followed The Sims on the old Sims 2 website when it was still live (I feel old and I'm only 21) and seeing Seasons coming out. Also, I really liked the look of the Family Fun stuff pack and would spend ages looking at screenshots of the game.
    One day I was in my room feeling bored and wondering what to do. I stared at my PS2 games and The Sims 2 Pets caught my eye. I wasn't sure if I wanted to play it because I was worried I'd get stuck again, but then again I wanted to give it a try, so I put it on, and since that moment I was hooked. I finally got the rules of the game and was able to happily play. I played that game for hours each day.
    Soon after starting secondary school, my family finally brought a new computer (Windows Vista) to replace our Windows 98 (I think it was that at the time; can't really remember now). I saw my golden opportunity. I had really wanted to get The Sims 2 on PC since playing on the PS2. The Sims 2 Bon Voyage had just come out and Mum brought it for me. I tried to install it, but whoops! You needed the base game to play it, so we went to town and brought a good second hand copy of the game. I remember that evening we struggled to install the game for some reason (can't remember why now) and I was getting upset because I really desperately wanted it to work, but eventually we got there. After that I was hooked on the PC version. I loved loved loved that game. Bon Voyage was my first expansion pack. After that was Seasons, then FreeTime came out, until eventually after a year I had the whole collection of expansion and stuff packs. I was a very happy simmer, playing most days for about an hour or two, or more. I played that game for a good five years.
    Until the computer started to play up. It was my fault. I'd tried to update the graphics driver, and being an unexperienced person on the PC at the time I messed it up. I managed to revert it back but it wasn't the same after that. Some of the graphics from FreeTime and Bon Voyage got messed up. I found a fix, but not long after the computer's hard drive crashed and got replaced. We got it fixed, but all five years of gaming (I'd never heard of backup files then) were wiped out. I was quite sad because I'd put hours into that game. I tried reinstalling the game, slowly adding the expansions, but the computer went wrong again. I gave up on The Sims 2. I've not been able to play it since.
    Annoyingly, when I got The Sims 2, The Sims 3 had been announced soon after. Still, I happily kept an eye out for news on TS3 but didn't buy it because I already had The Sims 2. However, when we eventually got a new computer (a year after our old one conked out) I brought The Sims 3 and brought most of the expansions and half of the stuff packs. I knew at that time The Sims 4 was coming out, but I wanted to play TS3 while I still had the chance. I loved The Sims 3. I still mourned TS2 (and still do now actually) but I had great fun playing TS3 until The Sims 4 came out.
    Now I have all The Sims 4 expansion packs, game packs, and stuff packs, all brought with my own money I earned from work (apart from the base game, my mum brought it as a gift). I love The Sims 4 too. I don't get to play as much because I'm on the computer a lot doing my work instead of gaming (I'm just finishing my degree in Computer Games Design) but I still follow the Sims news, buy every pack when it's out, play the console games (The Sims 2 Castaway is a favourite I always love to replay), and play the PC games when I have the chance to.
    This might sound odd but The Sims actually changed the course of my life in a way. I think that if I hadn't started playing The Sims, I'd probably wouldn't be doing a degree in Computer Games Design. When I was at school I was getting worried because I didn't know what I wanted to do, but I wanted to do something I'd be passionate about. I'm definitely passionate about what I do now. When I played The Sims 2 I decided I wanted to create video games, or be a part of that process, which is why I'm here today. I especially love art, but I also like 3D modelling, and got interested in programming too. I finished school, did a course in Games Design at college, and now I'm in my very last few weeks after three years at university. The Sims is still my favourite game of all time, and it's down to this game series that I am where I am today.

I know this was a very long post but The Sims shaped my future, so I think it's quite special to me.