Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Top loader versus front loader

124...Next

Comments

• LuvMySimzLuvMySimz Posts: 642 Member
    It's quite eye opening to see how other regions of the world do their laundry lol. I just assumed much of the world had dryers since it's not a new technology. All homes are fitted with them here. I wouldn't even know what to do with an airing cupboard or even what that looks like.

LOL are you serious?? If so, WOW!
    So I assume you do not know what dialing phones look like either :D

I have a dryer but seldom in use to keep electricity bills payable ;)

@SimsILikeSims
    To kill bacteria you have to wash your clothing very hot, but that's nearly impossible because of todays mixed fabrics. Even a dryer has to be on high temperature to really kill bacteria which isn't always possible either unless you want your stuff to shrink.
    „ - Criticism may not be agreeable, but it's sometimes necessary - “

• IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    LuvMySimz wrote: »
    To kill bacteria you have to wash your clothing very hot, but that's nearly impossible because of todays mixed fabrics. Even a dryer has to be on high temperature to really kill bacteria which isn't always possible either unless you want your stuff to shrink.

Actually 60degC is enough, for the typical length of a machine wash. I have found all my clothes can cope with that even the ones that recommend 40. Obviously you couldn't put silk or pure wool in at that temperature but I don't have those fabrics, mainly cotton and various polyesters.

• GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,285 Member
    IngeJones wrote: »
    Ok I think we have decided laundry has be be in this pack, so now it's time to start voting on the mechanics of the washing machine. I will be starting several new threads:

1) a thread for people who want top loaders to show their support
    2) one for supporters of front loaders
    3) a thread for laundry liquid
    4) a thread for those who think laundry powder is better
    5) for those who can talk about the benefits of one of those non-detergent balls. Oh absolutely it has to be this - much more eco-friendly.
    6) a thread for whether the laundry liquid should be combined with softener.

Anything I have left out?

PS I could end up hoist by my own petard, and banned....

Laundry pods. I don't like liquid and the powder has gotten on my nerves, too. I use the pods now for both laundry and my dishwasher. It's less of a mess. As for combing detergent with the softener Tide has done that. I use both Tide pods and Downey, for instance. But the powder version of the two combined causes me to break out in hives. I'm allergic. Besides, are you just asking for the objects of these things? Generally, we only see the Sims throw a dryer sheet in the machine, when switching things over.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    edited April 2017
    I have experienced several different styles of laundry in different places. It seems like offering a couple of options would be a way to appeal to the different players. Perhaps they could offer the old top-loaders or top-loader stacked combos with an option to do an eco-style upgrade. Basically, all the old/less expensive appliances should be able to be upgraded by a handy sim so that they reduce water and energy waste. Seems logical.

It's also true that front-loaders are appreciated throughout the parts of the world that I've been in. There should be fancy front-loading options. I've experienced laundry in the kitchen and also laundry in bathrooms. Actually, I've seen combo-laundry units in bathrooms in the US, I see a lot of that where I am now. They tend to be built into closets but sometimes that closet is into or next to a bathroom.

I see that drying racks have been mentioned, I've spent some time in part of the world where drying racks are the norm and they definitely do fit the eco-theme. There will be a washer in the bathroom and then people will use the drying racks outdoors in the summer and indoors in the winter. I've experienced and can appreciate a combo laundry unit in the kitchen as well.

It is a little strange how laundry practices do slightly vary around the world. Seeing the different style of laundry in a place can signify that you are in a different part of the world. It would seem that offering a few different styles would be a good way to handle the laundry theme. It would also make sense to offer old-style washing tubs and clotheslines for people whose idea of "eco" is getting away from technology.

Even though it annoys me a bit, I do think the clothes should be picked up and put into a hamper, then washed unless they need to cut down on the animations for other things. Solar panels, recycling bins, and maybe composting, would all make sense. I would say canning fruit as well but if that doesn't make it, it could be paired with a country theme.

I have no idea what type of laundry I'll actually use for my sims if I do get this SP. It will probably depend on each household.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • SageRainWillowSageRainWillow Posts: 2,221 Member
    edited April 2017
    LuvMySimz wrote: »
    It's quite eye opening to see how other regions of the world do their laundry lol. I just assumed much of the world had dryers since it's not a new technology. All homes are fitted with them here. I wouldn't even know what to do with an airing cupboard or even what that looks like.

LOL are you serious?? If so, WOW!
    So I assume you do not know what dialing phones look like either :D

I have a dryer but seldom in use to keep electricity bills payable ;)

@SimsILikeSims

Why is that surprising? Come to the US and look in any house for an "airing cupboard". You will be looking a long time! I'm not sure what a dialing phone is either, unless that's the British equivalent of an old rotary phone. I grew up with a clothesline in the backyard, but it was only used if the dryer died lol. :D

Or if you mean this, I have one in my office and use it daily. But I still prefer to put on my headset and use the VOIP system on my computer:

34288940496_81616b91e1_o.jpg
    42959178421_482f6f6a5c_o.png

• MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    I live in the state, that has the most expensive electricity, of the country that has the most expensive electricity. Power bills here are big enough without adding to them to do something that nature can do for you just fine.

I recently spent a huge amount of money on a new fridge, in the hope that it will reduce my next power bill by $100
    The new fridge is about twice the size of my old one, but uses about the same ammount of power, but it also means that my housemate and I can just use one fridge, rather than needing one each. And I strongly suspect that his was really chewing the electricity. I wish they'd include this sort of reality in the sims.
    An old fridge that makes your bills bigger than a new one. Sure, the old fridge is cheap, but it's more expensive in the long run.

And on the topic of differences, we have water saving shower heads, and water saving toilets. Also, our toilets only have a couple of inches of water in the bowl. Not the bath that many parts of the the US seems to have in their loos.

And don't forget, this is what many parts of the world have as a toilet
    0c56c1b5-8885-4fc0-94b1-a2dd0d170c2c_1471305513.jpeg?itok=ebVm8v9V&mtime=1471305585

And there are some parts of the world where you can't flush toilet paper, you have to put it in a bin when you're done.

This is how most of the world dries it's clothes
    article-0-163AE3C2000005DC-749_964x641.jpg
    Driers are simply not affordable for most people.
    Only wealthy people can afford to buy them, and use them on a regular basis.

This is how laundry was done in russia, in the 1970's
    e336b19e018cd9957b4d6dd18f3f84ba.jpg

From what I've read, this is normal in france
    24c08e62757740d68dc719d1f93985d1.jpg

Japan
    ek20100916wha.jpg

Driers are not free to use, so why waste money when you can use the power of the sun/wind?
    Test how much it costs you, by unplugging it for the next 3 months, and only using nature to dry your laundry.

Why is that surprising? Come to the US and look in any house for an "airing cupboard". You will be looking a long time!
    Airing cupboards aren't a thing here, yet I do know what one is, and how they are used. I just forget about them, until someone reminds me of their existence.
    Our hot water service is outside the house, and it's an instant one, meaning that there is no tank, and it only heats the water when you have a hotwater tap turned on. It also means that we never run out of hot water, there's no risk of anyone using it all, and leaving only cold for anyone else wanting to have a shower. And if you're wondering how this relates, airing cuboards often contain the hotwater service. A great idea in a cold climate. Not so great for here, where in summer, the coldwater tap often has hotter water than the hot water tap. :/
    I'm not sure what a dialing phone is either, unless that's the British equivalent of an old rotary phone.
    You've never dialed a number? :p
    The rotary phone is where the term comes from, when you turn the dial, to dial the number.

AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
    edited April 2017
    Movotti wrote: »
    I live in the state, that has the most expensive electricity, of the country that has the most expensive electricity. Power bills here are big enough without adding to them to do something that nature can do for you just fine.

I recently spent a huge amount of money on a new fridge, in the hope that it will reduce my next power bill by $100
    The new fridge is about twice the size of my old one, but uses about the same ammount of power, but it also means that my housemate and I can just use one fridge, rather than needing one each. And I strongly suspect that his was really chewing the electricity. I wish they'd include this sort of reality in the sims.
    An old fridge that makes your bills bigger than a new one. Sure, the old fridge is cheap, but it's more expensive in the long run.

And on the topic of differences, we have water saving shower heads, and water saving toilets. Also, our toilets only have a couple of inches of water in the bowl. Not the bath that many parts of the the US seems to have in their loos.

And don't forget, this is what many parts of the world have as a toilet
    <snipped>

And there are some parts of the world where you can't flush toilet paper, you have to put it in a bin when you're done.

This is how most of the world dries it's clothes
    <snipped>
    Driers are simply not affordable for most people.
    Only wealthy people can afford to buy them, and use them on a regular basis.

This is how laundry was done in russia, in the 1970's
    <snipped>

From what I've read, this is normal in france
    <snipped>

Japan
    <snipped>

Driers are not free to use, so why waste money when you can use the power of the sun/wind?
    Test how much it costs you, by unplugging it for the next 3 months, and only using nature to dry your laundry.
    Why is that surprising? Come to the US and look in any house for an "airing cupboard". You will be looking a long time!
    Airing cupboards aren't a thing here, yet I do know what one is, and how they are used. I just forget about them, until someone reminds me of their existence.
    Our hot water service is outside the house, and it's an instant one, meaning that there is no tank, and it only heats the water when you have a hotwater tap turned on. It also means that we never run out of hot water, there's no risk of anyone using it all, and leaving only cold for anyone else wanting to have a shower. And if you're wondering how this relates, airing cuboards often contain the hotwater service. A great idea in a cold climate. Not so great for here, where in summer, the coldwater tap often has hotter water than the hot water tap. :/
    I'm not sure what a dialing phone is either, unless that's the British equivalent of an old rotary phone.
    You've never dialed a number? :p
    The rotary phone is where the term comes from, when you turn the dial, to dial the number.

Interesting. I do know about the toilet differences around the world, and of course hanging clothes. Here in the US, a lot of toilets now have water conservation in mind and most are adjustable so you can raise or lower the water level. We also have tankless water heaters. They are more expensive than the traditional kind and are installed close to the shower or water utilitizing appliances. But they do save a ton of money because you don't have to keep reheating a tank of water. I just can't wrap my head around what an airing cupboard is. I'm picturing like a kitchen cupboard or a linen closet. I wouldn't put wet clothes in either. Is it more like a small, ventilated room?

And the term "dialing phone" just sounded odd to me. All phones dial. It's kinda what they do by default :D Though at work I do prefer just typing the name of the person I want to contact and let the VoIP software pull their number from my Outlook contacts. Saves time.

I just can't wrap my head around what an airing cupboard is. I'm picturing like a kitchen cupboard or a linen closet. I wouldn't put wet clothes in either. Is it more like a small, ventilated room?
    More like what you call a closet.

Some seem a bit smaller.
    6a010536c62933970c0115707ef207970c-320wi

Speaking of wich, those little built in, walk-in robe type closety things have only become common in newly built homes, and even then not all have them.
    Plenty of bedrooms in Australia, are just a room, with no storage included. At best some have a built in robe added, as an after thought. The one in my bedroom is annoying, if it had sliding doors, I would be able to turn my bed around, and have more than a narrow walkway between the end of my bed and my dresser. I'm currently very tempted to take a screwdriver to it, and remove the doors!

I just can't wrap my head around what an airing cupboard is. I'm picturing like a kitchen cupboard or a linen closet. I wouldn't put wet clothes in either. Is it more like a small, ventilated room?

Some seem a bit smaller.

Speaking of wich, those little built in, walk-in robe type closety things have only become common in newly built homes, and even then not all have them.
    Plenty of bedrooms in Australia, are just a room, with no storage included. At best some have a built in robe added, as an after thought. The one in my bedroom is annoying, if it had sliding doors, I would be able to turn my bed around, and have more than a narrow walkway between the end of my bed and my dresser. I'm currently very tempted to take a screwdriver to it, and remove the doors!

Ahhh, yes more like a closet. I'd be afraid to ruin the floor underneath from the dripping clothes. Unless there's some kind of catch pan or perhaps the floor is cement. The National Building Code here requires a closet for a bedroom to be considered a bedroom. However, sometimes a homeowner will add on to their house, and generic add-on rooms don't require them. Growing up, my bedroom did not have a closet because it was added on later to the existing house. So, I had a dresser and French wardrobe instead. When I moved into my first studio apartment, I had a walk-in closet with those annoying accordion doors. My cat loved to paw it open, and I would find him curled up asleep in my clean clothes. :D My house now has three bedrooms all with closets, but two of them are really small. So my bedroom still has a dresser and armoire in addition. I just hang my work clothes, and the rest is folded.

Ahhh, yes more like a closet. I'd be afraid to ruin the floor underneath from the dripping clothes.
    If your washing machine works as it should, your clothes shouldn't be dripping.
    I hang my clothes in my livingroom throughout most of winter, and they never drip on the floor.

And if you hand wash, wring them out well, and hang them over the bath/in the shower until they're done dripping.

The National Building Code here requires a closet for a bedroom to be considered a bedroom.
    That's such an odd thing.

We've got criteria for a 'habitable room' which means that a dining room, living room, or any other room can be called a 'bedroom'
    It can make the descriptions of houses for sale a little amusing: 3 bedrooms, sitting room, dining/study/extra bedroom
    Sometimes they simplify with: living area/bedroom

• gummybear0724gummybear0724 Posts: 1,146 Member
    I am used to top loaders, but would probably prefer front loaders just so that they could recycle animations and maybe get one more fun item in.
  • RubyxAngelRubyxAngel Posts: 333 Member
    edited May 2017

Some seem a bit smaller.

Ahhh, yes more like a closet. I'd be afraid to ruin the floor underneath from the dripping clothes. Unless there's some kind of catch pan or perhaps the floor is cement. The National Building Code here requires a closet for a bedroom to be considered a bedroom. However, sometimes a homeowner will add on to their house, and generic add-on rooms don't require them. Growing up, my bedroom did not have a closet because it was added on later to the existing house. So, I had a dresser and French wardrobe instead. When I moved into my first studio apartment, I had a walk-in closet with those annoying accordion doors. My cat loved to paw it open, and I would find him curled up asleep in my clean clothes. :D My house now has three bedrooms all with closets, but two of them are really small. So my bedroom still has a dresser and armoire in addition. I just hang my work clothes, and the rest is folded.

An airing cupboard isn't a wardrobe/clothes closet.. it's simply a cupboard where the heating tank is built in. People often dry clothes in there as its always warm and there are usually a few shelves built in....as well as the fact drying machines are rare in England so it gives us a way to dry inside. The clothes would not be dripping wet as after washing your clothes in the washing machine you set it on a 'spin dry' so it won't drip after. And we just use ordinary wardrobes to hang our clothes, as walk in wardrobes are rare here.
    Also to reference your conversation earlier 'dialling a number' is a common phrase here.