Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

So is mobile now the priority in sims development overall?

13...Next

Comments

• simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member
    TS3 is a previous game that some players are still clinging to instead of moving on TS4.
    Well thank you. That's pretty insulting.

I'm not 'clinging to' TS3, and I have zero desire to 'move on' to TS4, as you appear to be suggesting that I should. I strongly dislike the visual style of TS4 - among many other things - and I still love how dark and gritty I can make TS3. I am perfectly happy where I am, will continue playing the game that I want to, and I neither want nor enjoy having people suggesting that I ought to 'move on'.

@ValoisFulcanelli - It is not meant to be insulting and there was no suggestion that players move on. I'm sorry if you interpreted my post my that way. Considering that my signature clearly states that I'm a TS2 player and earlier SimGuruDrake pointed out that I was the one who bugged her to display the older boards as standard boards instead of "memory lane" boards, and I have the same strong feelings about TS2 that you have about TS3, it would be kind of weird for me to make such a suggestion.

My argument was to encourage empathy for TS2 players because TS3 players will also need that as well in the future. TS3 is over and regardless of how "popular" a player thinks it is, the only thing that makes it relevant is that it is still being sold and supported. TS3 will go the same way as TS2... and hopefully folks will NOT tell you to move on because nobody cares :smile: I hope that clears things up!

@kwanzaabot
    Weren't you just saying how you weren't gonna post on this board any more?

No. It appears the new board design is too confusing for you keep track of my comments... well, that's rather ironic :smirk:

I think it was just a misunderstanding of your comment that you were no longer going to post in the mobile forum.
  • ValoisFulcanelliValoisFulcanelli Posts: 672 Member
    @ValoisFulcanelli - It is not meant to be insulting and there was no suggestion that players move on. I'm sorry if you interpreted my post my that way.
    Sorry, but as @nanashi-sims said, you are clinging to TS3. There's nothing wrong with that, and @nanashi-sims never said there was. You said it yourself, you have zero desire to move on to TS4. Ergo, you are clinging to TS3 just as many of us who still play TS2 have no desire to move on to TS3 or TS4. Yes, some have tried them, but ultimately continue to return to TS2. Nothing @nanashi-sims said was insulting. It was simply truth.

Clearly a poor choice of words* has led to a misunderstanding. Thank you for your apology, Nanashi. It does place the onus on my misinterpretation ("I'm sorry if you interpreted my post that way") rather than your choice of words, but I accept it, nonetheless, so thank you again.

*I'm an editor, and words are how I make my living. Were I to find this word choice in a MS, my comment over "clinging" would be: "This has a negative connotation, suggesting desperation. In this context there is no desperation; only a simple preference for one game over another. I suggest changing it to read: "TS3 is a previous game that some players still prefer, instead of moving on [to] TS4."

It's now water under the bridge anyway. I rarely frequent this side of the forum, but I came over to see what was being said about the changes. I'll bow out gracefully and wish you all well :)
    tfb.jpg
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,518 Member
    It's funny how we are all sims fans but frequently have to argue about which is 'the best' version or which deserves the most attention.

The new forum will take some getting used to, but at least we now have a sims 3 creative corner all of its own. And I do like that it is a shorter overall layout, it always bugged me having to scroll down so far to get to the sims 2 section (how nice it would be to have a special Sims 2 section of its own).

But I think they are already achieving what they set out to do... I mean, until I came in here today I had never heard of The Sims Mobile and now I have been off looking on Google to see what it is all about. I find it quite sad. I remember making a joke that there would not be a real sims 5 coming out, that EA would be making the next version into an app game that can be played on a tablet... well, the joke's on me now :(
  • nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member
    @ValoisFulcanelli - It is not meant to be insulting and there was no suggestion that players move on. I'm sorry if you interpreted my post my that way.
    Sorry, but as @nanashi-sims said, you are clinging to TS3. There's nothing wrong with that, and @nanashi-sims never said there was. You said it yourself, you have zero desire to move on to TS4. Ergo, you are clinging to TS3 just as many of us who still play TS2 have no desire to move on to TS3 or TS4. Yes, some have tried them, but ultimately continue to return to TS2. Nothing @nanashi-sims said was insulting. It was simply truth.

Clearly a poor choice of words* has led to a misunderstanding. Thank you for your apology, Nanashi. It does place the onus on my misinterpretation ("I'm sorry if you interpreted my post that way") rather than your choice of words, but I accept it, nonetheless, so thank you again.

*I'm an editor, and words are how I make my living. Were I to find this word choice in a MS, my comment over "clinging" would be: "This has a negative connotation, suggesting desperation. In this context there is no desperation; only a simple preference for one game over another. I suggest changing it to read: "TS3 is a previous game that some players still prefer, instead of moving on [to] TS4."

It's now water under the bridge anyway. I rarely frequent this side of the forum, but I came over to see what was being said about the changes. I'll bow out gracefully and wish you all well :)

No, 'clinging' was used correctly along with its connotation. The misunderstanding came from the assumption that my comment was directed at you or any other considerate player in this community. It wasn't.

Frankly, I like the way the PC boards are grouped, it used to be worse and I didn't feel comfortable using the board. Now I visit it everyday. That doesn't mean I can't sympathise and support other TS2 players here who are voicing their feedback that they don't like being marginalised.

Back to the OP's thread. My only concern is whether the Sims Mobile and the restructuring at EA to move the Sims department under the mobile gaming division, and this forum update highlighting Sims Mobile is going to kill the PC franchise. This was predicted a long time ago, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised... bleh.

On a positive note, there is a new GP for TS4 coming out and it's family play. Someone said that 5 weeks ago there was an official trailer for this... I have no idea how I missed it. :confounded:
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Is TS4 actually moving anywhere? It just doesn't seem like a lot of effort is being put into selling it.

I think it's awesome that the devs kept their promise to the original early buyers and delivered on toddlers, but after the toddlers came out and the supernatural GP for supernatural players, it kinda seems that there isn't much going on for this game this year in regards to marketing. I reckon there will be continued development to ensure that all the old game basics will be restored in EPs and GPs, but it doesn't look like anything novel which sets the PC game apart is going to be in this iteration. Just really good looking sims...

I think we have pets coming out for the EP, no? So if you like the game as is, I'm pretty sure there will be sufficient development. I'm personally looking forward to Pets if that is the next EP.

If you're still waiting for the game to impress... I wouldn't hold my breath. I'm not anticipating any game changers :neutral:

We've got the possible family GP coming out sometime in the next 4 weeks or so, and that seems like "a lot of effort" being put into improving family play, especially after the arrival of toddlers. We also don't know what's still being worked on for later this year -- the fact that things have been quiet may mean that the SimGurus have actually been too busy with work to say anything. I would expect to see some additional marketing once we get official word on the GP, and of course when the next EP releases (which is looking more like a pet-related EP based on code found in the game). Also consider that if people enjoy the Sims Mobile, they may be encouraged to try Sims 4 so the mobile game in itself could be a marketing tool for the larger PC experience.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited May 2017
    @nanashi-sims It's a good thing they still support TS3 and are still selling store content like hotcakes even after three/four years of it ending. Because think about how lucky we TS2 fans are here. If they stop supporting (or when) TS3 (no more store/closed for good) then I think this site would become even more condensed to make room for TS5 or some other game. It would the TS5 (or mobile) and TS4 and TS3 and all others may have to be meshed into one spot once we know about a new game for the series. It's not going to be pretty around here for any of us who stick to the games we prefer and want our special areas but that is the way these things go. There will always be room needed (if they make TS5) for the newest game and all others will take a backseat. Then it will be TS3 players being told EA doesn't support your game anymore so feel lucky you got some space. Or at least that seems to be the vibe I got recently in a thread. Their website, not ours. And lucky to even get some space for TS2. My fear is when TS5 is on the horizon (if ever) TS2 and TS3 will have to share that space with the new shiny. Then TS4 players will understand how it feels to be the redhead step child as the old saying goes. I hope they don't ever have to get that impression.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Capt_OdeeCapt_Odee Posts: 70 Member
    > @SimGuruDrake said:
    > Our Mobile Family is just as important to us as our PC Family. They are sitting on equal footing with having their own focused areas.
    >
    > The forums as they were previously laid out was not user friendly and was overwhelming for new users to figure out. None of the PC sections have been replaced they have simply been condensed into their own areas with the top level sections being visible to click on.
    >
    > You will see that TS4 is still an important section as it sits above TS3 and older content within the main game area.
    >
    > This has been my intention for a while to reorganize this space in the current state you see, our mobile announcement just set the perfect time to do so.

Being a Simmer from the original SimCity days, and beyond, I have to say, "No sir, don't like the idea of splitting the Dev Teams between two platforms. Sets back release and development schedules, and causes no end or manner of grief in the long run, for both player and game."

Now if, say you hire an entirely new and separate Dev Team for the Mobile, that I could live with, without much grumbling. As long as I get my beloved PETS for SIMS 4 soonish. ;)
  • Capt_OdeeCapt_Odee Posts: 70 Member
    @SataiDelennn said:
    > And nothing is being created for TS3 anymore either, is it? Yet it still has its own section and isn't being lumped in with other games and treated like the black sheep of the family, pushed out of the way as though we're completely unwanted even though again, we're still a thriving community with new people arriving all the time who want to talk about the TS2 game and still play the game... You say you care about us, but your actions by the way the boards are now set up just don't match, and it's upsetting some of us.

I understand there are still some individuals creating mods and such for the much missed SIMS 3. Well, perhaps not much missed, since I still play it, but the Dev business aside, I miss the more open world of 3, over 4's Loading Screen Travel method. IMHO, the LST just detracts from what many long time SIMS players enjoyed.
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    Capt_Odee wrote: »
    @SataiDelennn said:
    > And nothing is being created for TS3 anymore either, is it? Yet it still has its own section and isn't being lumped in with other games and treated like the black sheep of the family, pushed out of the way as though we're completely unwanted even though again, we're still a thriving community with new people arriving all the time who want to talk about the TS2 game and still play the game... You say you care about us, but your actions by the way the boards are now set up just don't match, and it's upsetting some of us.

I understand there are still some individuals creating mods and such for the much missed SIMS 3. Well, perhaps not much missed, since I still play it, but the Dev business aside, I miss the more open world of 3, over 4's Loading Screen Travel method. IMHO, the LST just detracts from what many long time SIMS players enjoyed.

She means created by EA. EA isn't creating anything for Sims 3 anymore is what she meant.