Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

So on the sims 4 being Olympus? How does anyone feel?

I personally feel well kind of upset. The fact the matter it now seems like a sequel in name only. All the restrictions the game had could be been mostly avoided. If they made it from scratch.Don' get me wrong I'll still play the game. I just won't see it the same was again.

Comments

• Options
    ShadowmarkedShadowmarked Posts: 1,054 Member
    I don't really care about what the game may have been or may not have been. I care about the game as it is at the current moment.
    If it started as something else and was good I wouldn't care.
    If it started as something else and was terrible I wouldn't care.
    What matters to me is what I got now.

I also don't think blaming the games current short comings on it being something else is worth it. There isn't an excuse that will make me happier about what is wrong with the game since the problem is there, Same goes for the good of the game.

I think that is important to note instead of speculating about how the game got here instead notice the game for what it is and comment on what it is because the only way the game will get better or get useful feedback for the future is if we focus on what we don't like and do like right now and focus on features instead of a potentially one off mistake in the development of this specific game.

Anyways long and short,
    I don't care one way or the other it isn't an excuse for anything and I can't say how much it actually factored into the problems I have with the game since the devs could have programmed it this way because they wanted one way or the other.
  • Options
    meeounmeeoun Posts: 2,173 Member
    edited May 2017
    I was upset. I was angry. But now I've accepted what we have. Not to say we shouldn't highlight what we still don't have. I think that's absolutely necessary. Just not dwell on the reasoning why TS4 has so many limitations. I agree the game still has many flaws, but the game is getting better. Like @BeJaWa stated, I think it's more important to focus on providing constructive feedback for the future rather than harp on the past.

Besides, I'm almost certain that the studio now knows, or at least I hope they do, that for future iterations, the idea of removing toddlers and minimizing the worlds was a foolish decision.
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    I'm unfazed by it. Well it's not new information, A lot of us went into the game knowing what The Sims 4 was before it launched.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    I feel exactly the same as I did when I bought the base game. I don't see why I should feel any different, or "betrayed" somehow. I'm not a game developer, I'm not going to pretend to know how it even effects, boosts, or restricts the current game. I don't work for Maxis or EA, so I'm also not going to pretend to know what "could have been", or dwell on what decisions "might" have been different. There's just no point.

If I hadn't personally enjoyed the sims 4 base game, I would have uninstalled it and moved on to other things, but I've stuck with it so far. It's still the game it was before, but with enough improvements for me to keep moving forward with it. There are certainly things I would like to see added in, or tweaked, or improved on, but that's what the feedback section is for.

To be honest, I don't understand the panic attack, or anger. Were people thinking the Sims 4 was going to completely transform into some other totally different system, or somehow change into Sims 3, or 2, or GTA, or something else, but now that they know there are traces of an old Olympus UI, suddenly those hopes are dashed? Does anyone actually even know what that actually means, if anything, or is everyone just flinging speculations around and hyping each other up?

Because, it seems to me, if you didn't like Sims 4 by now, you just won't, regardless of what's added in. If you have been enjoying it this whole time, or found something to like about it, during its development process, then that's not going to change, and will most likely get better. What it was or wasn't before its release means nothing.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    SparklePlumleySparklePlumley Posts: 1,061 Member
    What TwistedMexican was trying do, by publishing that article, was put arguments to rest, not only on this forum but everywhere. Try to calm people down so to speak. Since Sims Mobile launched a couple days ago Olympus has been brought back up, and there have been a few heated discussions. SGDrake calmed the flames surrounding SM and TS4 Doomsday with her announcement. TM wanted to quell the Olympus TS4 arguments.

My personal thoughts on the matter of TS4 and Olympus: It is what it is, we got what we got.
  • Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    As I said yesterday, the people who liked the game on Monday still like it on Friday. The people who didn't like the game on Monday feel the same way today. Nothing changed, and certainly not the game. All this was about was fueling yet another round of "your game stinks". The air was wrought by wailing and the stench of hyperbole hung thick around the forums.
  • Options
    PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    BeJaWa wrote: »
    I don't really care about what the game may have been or may not have been. I care about the game as it is at the current moment.
    If it started as something else and was good I wouldn't care.
    If it started as something else and was terrible I wouldn't care.
    What matters to me is what I got now.

Yes, this.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I see it exactly the same. I did enjoy it. I have enjoyed it. I will enjoy it. It's still my favorite game in the series I played the original and Sims 2 and now this one with enjoyment. If I didn't like it I wouldn't still be here.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Everyone knows that TS4 was Olympus. Nothing new about that
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    As I said yesterday, the people who liked the game on Monday still like it on Friday. The people who didn't like the game on Monday feel the same way today. Nothing changed, and certainly not the game.

I think this is a nice way of putting it.

I also think what TwistedMexi did was nice, as it answered a good amount of questions many curious people had. However, we won't ever know how certain things exactly influenced the game, so it's better to just play the role of the consumer; either buy it or don't, and provide feedback for what you have.
  • Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    I personally don't really care.

I care about what the game is right now. I just want more improvements, more bug fixes, and more content moving on.
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    I just have to get over it. When it's all said and done, many players who remember when TSO launched - and we played it - didn't want to see the Sims ever turn into an online game. And yet, even after the many voiced concerns ever over the online elements they tried to put into Sims 3, they wanted to force TSO 2.0 on us. Hopefully if/when or if they are currently working on a Sims 5, they will stick to it being a single player game, and give us back all the goodies that just art there. As well as making sims multi-dimensional once more, and actually "feel" emotions rather than overly showing them in a comical fashion.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    Everyone knows that TS4 was Olympus. Nothing new about that

^^ This. It neither upsets me nor makes me happy. It is what it is. Even if Olympus never existed and the S4 game was still what it was on launch up to today, Nothing would change.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    Doesn't matter how we got here now.
    I am just concerned about what will be done.
    I am still hoping for pre-teens or younger looking teens, Seasons, University, making traits more significant, and adding more danger and drama, risk/rewards, and the unexpected.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    edited May 2017
    Doesn't matter if the game started out as a First Person Shooter, who cares what it was.

The Sims 2 started out as a very different game in the beta (more quirky and unrealistic like The Sims Bustin Out) and yet it was changed into what we know now as The Sims 2 (if you don't know what I'm talking about, Google the early trailers of The Sims 2, and the Beta footage).

The Sims 3 also played different when it was announced. There was Sims walking around with icons over their heads with quests for you to do (which they changed and made them phone calls instead). The Wii version, however keeps the gameplay from the original version, where you walk around and meet people who give you quests to complete.
    (If you don't know this, it's shown in the early Sims 3 videos and The Sims 3 for Wii).

The Sims 4 had an online component? So what. Chi Chan showed us footage of how the game was to look when it was online, and it didn't look any different.

The only people "affected" by the news (which by the way, says nothing other than what the game was called during development, which in itself is uneventful) are people who force themselves to be that way.

We're almost 3 years into The Sims 4. If you don't like it, find. a. hobby. Spending your life on a forum everyday, about something you'll never enjoy, is worrying. I literally stopped posting in The Sims 2 forums when they closed down, and rejoined when The Sims 4 forums opened.

Didn't like The Sims 3, I accepted that people did, and moved on for 5 years.

The Sims 4 might have limitations for some, but The Sims 3 had limitations as well. The Sims 3 excelled at customization, but failed at in depth gameplay. So I found myself getting bored.
  • Options
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    Doesn't matter if the game started out as a First Person Shooter, who cares what it was.

The Sims 2 started out as a very different game in the beta (more quirky and unrealistic like The Sims Bustin Out) and yet it was changed into what we know now as The Sims 2 (if you don't know what I'm talking about, Google the early trailers of The Sims 2, and the Beta footage).

The Sims 3 also played different when it was announced. There was Sims walking around with icons over their heads with quests for you to do (which they changed and made them phone calls instead). The Wii version, however keeps the gameplay from the original version, where you walk around and meet people who give you quests to complete.
    (If you don't know this, it's shown in the early Sims 3 videos and The Sims 3 for Wii).

The Sims 4 had an online component? So what. Chi Chan showed us footage of how the game was to look when it was online, and it didn't look any different.

The only people "affected" by the news (which by the way, says nothing other than what the game was called during development, which in itself is uneventful) are people who force themselves to be that way.

We're almost 3 years into The Sims 4. If you don't like it, find. a. hobby. Spending your life on a forum everyday, about something you'll never enjoy, is worrying. I literally stopped posting in The Sims 2 forums when they closed down, and rejoined when The Sims 4 forums opened.

The Sims 4 might have limitations for some, but The Sims 3 had limitations as well. The Sims 3 excelled at customization, but failed at in depth gameplay. So I found myself getting bored.

Truthfully, every sims game had limitations, it's why so many had high hopes for less limitations. Back to OT: Olympus or not, it is still what it is.
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member

Truthfully, every sims game had limitations, it's why so many had high hopes for less limitations. Back to OT: Olympus or not, it is still what it is.

True, but at the end of the day, it depends on how you play.

I'm not one who needs to have control over every colour in the game, or have a lack of patience so I need no loading screens, but I AM someone who wants different experiences within the Sims.

So The Sims 4's limitations don't affect me, but the parts where the game shines, do. Packs with heaps of ways to "progress" are my forte, so The Sims 4 has a lot of those. I need to be able to work towards something.

The Sims 3 has customization galore, but there's not much to work towards in the game. Nothing really adds up to anything, it's more about doing what you want.

The Sims 2 and The Sims 4, have lots to work towards, in order to unlock content, and those two games are games designed by the "more you progress, the more you unlock" where The Sims 3 kinda just stays static (which a lot of people prefer) and is more about customizing.

So if you're a player who prefers to customize, and dislike progression based gameplay, Than 4 and 2 aren't really going to be for you, because it doesn't cater.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

True, but at the end of the day, it depends on how you play.

I'm not one who needs to have control over every colour in the game, or have a lack of patience so I need no loading screens, but I AM someone who wants different experiences within the Sims.

So The Sims 4's limitations don't affect me, but the parts where the game shines, do. Packs with heaps of ways to "progress" are my forte, so The Sims 4 has a lot of those. I need to be able to work towards something.

The Sims 3 has customization galore, but there's not much to work towards in the game. Nothing really adds up to anything, it's more about doing what you want.

The Sims 2 and The Sims 4, have lots to work towards, in order to unlock content, and those two games are games designed by the "more you progress, the more you unlock" where The Sims 3 kinda just stays static (which a lot of people prefer) and is more about customizing.

So if you're a player who prefers to customize, and dislike progression based gameplay, Than 4 and 2 aren't really going to be for you, because it doesn't cater.

Interesting. Since 2 is/was my all time fav. But it has its downside. Not getting into it though. I only started playing 3 last year, and I have to say I disagree with your analogy. It is what it is. The more I play, the more I discover. I can't say the same for 4. Even 2 wins out on that one.
  • Options
    Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    edited May 2017
    Well it means I certainly will NOT be buying anything TS4 (not that I was anyway but now I feel more sure of my decision), due to the limitations imposed by TS4 being Olympus, EPs are unlikely to ever be able to offer significant core changes in the game (don't know if anyone else has noticed but TS4 EPs, SPs and GPs use the stuff that's already in the game in different ways, none of them come out with entirely new concepts), which is why apartments aren't really apartments at all and the city is a city in appearance only.

What a game begun as is VERY important, as it directly affects where the game can go.
    raw
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited May 2017

Participating on these forums is a hobby (or rather part of it), because it's more about Sims in general than specifically Sims 4. I also have other hobbies. Sims 3 for instance, and hiking, an singing. I also have a job that gobbles a lot of my time (love my job). So stop worrying about the way I and others are spending their time, there's really no need to make something psychological out of it. We just like to discuss Sims.

There's another component of course people who don't like the game are participating: lots of people clearly share that feeling. So it simply is a topic of conversation here and not only by people who don't play the game. EA turning to mobile and online games has a lot to do with that. This happens to be a platform where the creators come, so a lot of us are rather adressing them than other players (we're accepting that people like Sims 4, it's not you we are interested in). The section Feedback in fact was especially designed for that (normal forums don't have a Feedback section, who would you give feedback to?). So stop taking matters so personally and grant others how they spend their time. As long a there are people trying to reach out to EA - and who knows other game developers - expressing what they don't like and what they do like in this franchise, they will continue finding each other doing that. You may disagree with them, you may find it bothersome, but it's their time they are putting into it. Not yours.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    CiarassimsCiarassims Posts: 3,547 Member
    Lol I knew it was based off Olympus since the we saw the videos of Olympus four years ago, either way it doesn't change anything for me seeing as all this drama I knew about for ages so. It's literally nothing new. Oh and if it changes my opinion on the game, no... because it's still the limited sims 4 it has always been sooooo. Their problem making a game off a online game though.
    giphy_1.gif
  • Options
    Savage_Patch_KiddSavage_Patch_Kidd Posts: 2,937 Member
    I was just upset about the Mobile game since they reused the Sims 4 content. I couldn't care less about Olympus.

The Olympus argument was frequent two years ago so it's nothing new really. The only difference now is that the threads that mentioned Olympus don't get nuked immediately like they did back then.
    tumblr_oy1xa2eHV31uvsi7jo2_1280.gif
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    I personally feel well kind of upset. The fact the matter it now seems like a sequel in name only. All the restrictions the game had could be been mostly avoided. If they made it from scratch.Don' get me wrong I'll still play the game. I just won't see it the same was again.

It's not news TS4 is a recycled game from the wreckage of an unreleased online game.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,866 Member
    When I first found out, I cried for 7 hours straight. To be honest, I had never been so disappointed in my life. I remember calling in sick and blankly staring out my window, asking myself, "Why? Why Olympus?", hoping an answer would pop into my head. But nope. Nothing. No answer. That's around the time I decided to travel the world in search of the answer. It's been two days, and I've been to three countries so far, but no one has the answer.

no but honestly it doesn't matter to me, like at all :sunglasses:

Excellent! :p