Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Will The Sims Mobile split up The Sims' fan base?

WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
The Sims Mobile is an interesting game but people seem to be thrown off by the fact that the game will have microtransactions and use real time just like The Sims FreePlay. I'm sure The Sims Mobile will split The Sims' fanbase further as people will be divided between The Sims 3, The Sims 4, The Sims FreePlay, and The Sims Mobile as well The Sims and The Sims 2. If they have made the game paid and lacked the free-to-play restrictions, it would be a decent Sims game.

I would like to try it but at the time of this post, it hasn't been released on the Amazon App Store or Windows Store.

What do you think of The Sims Mobile?

Edit: I have tried to download the game after installing the Play Store on my Amazon Kindle Fire HD but it wouldn't allow me to download it saying it was incompatible.
Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer
Post edited by WinMacSims3 on

Comments

• PrincessVeePrincessVee Posts: 1,787 Member
    I don't think this game is going to be very successful. And I hardly can imagine anyone abandoning sims 4 for a simplified mobile version of sims 4 with tons of micro transactions.
    Intel i7-6700HQ; nvidia gtx970m 3 gb; 1tb HHD and 256gb SSD; my drivers are always up to date.

• FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    Sims Mobile will not split the Sims' fanbase (IMO). We all are good at multi-tasking and plenty jump from thread to thread whether it be Sims2,3,4, or mobile threads, to voice our opinions of the games. People may be angry about this mobile game coming out of the blue, but it won't cause a division in the fan base. Again, this is just my opinion!

If/when you try it, I hope you enjoy it! I personally, will not touch mobile apps ever!
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    Why? Did previous Sims mobile titles do that? This isn't a new thing, having a mobile title in the franchise. I'm sure that, like before, some Simmers will play PC only, some will play mobile only, and some will play both.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • NeonHighwaysNeonHighways Posts: 1,508 Member
    I think it's a good upgrade for freeplay. I was wishing we had something like this to replace freeplay for a while, as that game looks super dated. Here it is. Now that my head has cooled a bit, I think this game is a good thing. Some players are only on mobile, so this is nice for them. Maybe they don't have a pc. Maybe if thy like this game and concept enough, and see that it's so similar to TS4 in terms of looks, they will want to invest in a laptop, as TS4 would be basically that but with no limits. If anything this game brings mobile first players closer to The Sims 4, as freeplay looked more like it's own thing. More brand awareness and all that. I think we should be nice to all players, seeing that we are all fans of the sims, even though we might prefer dsifferent games. We don't need to have everyone playing TS4. Maybe you like TS3 more, or sims mobile more, and it's beautiful that we have this choice and diversity.
  • LadyJesterLadyJester Posts: 606 Member
    edited May 2017
    I personally am not a big fan of mobile games. It kinda surprises me that some people are surprised that the game would be in real time and not sims time and thinking since the game is "free" that they are getting the same game as the sims 4 but for "free". The game is in real time and not in sims time (Which isn't a shocker to me. its a mobile game. Most mobile games are going to be in real time). The game isn't fully free. There are micro transactions in the game. Then there are people saying "Well the mobile game has this and we dont have this on pc version." Well the sims 4 isn't done yet so there is still the possibility of getting some of these items in the pc version. Then there are some people freaking out over how why the reason we only get 1 EP a year is because of the mobile game...which is not the reason why we are only getting 1 ep a year. Then there are some other people freaking out over how they think the sims 4 pc will go a lot more slower thanks to the mobile game...which it wont. In the end I think people are just freaking out over nothing. It's just a mobile game.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    The Sims Mobile is an interesting game but people seem to be thrown off by the fact that the game will have microtransactions and use real time just like The Sims FreePlay. I'm sure The Sims Mobile will split The Sims' fanbase further as people will be divided between The Sims 3, The Sims 4, The Sims FreePlay, and The Sims Mobile as well The Sims and The Sims 2. If they have made the game paid and lacked the free-to-play restrictions, it would be a decent Sims game.

I would like to try it but at the time of this post, it hasn't been released on the Amazon App Store or Windows Store.

Edit: I have tried to download the game after installing the Play Store on my Amazon Kindle Fire HD but it wouldn't allow me to download it saying it was incompatible.

No. People who play the Pc series are a diehard bunch, and will not cave to mobile game. I expect the new game to attract new type of player. Those of us who relish in the pc versions and who were never interested in console, or mobile or MMO will never play that game. It will attract a new player though for awhile.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • batmansrobinbatmansrobin Posts: 146 Member
    Nope. Nothing could split this fan base up at this point. But I can see it attracting a lot of younger players though.
    tumblr_n801qpC3jx1qknma4o5_500.png
  • FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    Nope.
    a256aFi.gif
  • DegrassiGenDegrassiGen Posts: 2,168 Member
    I'm a Sims player who always avoided the "This Sim's game is better then this" game. While I believe the first three series are the most passionate and heart filled games while The Sims 4 was rushed for income I'm still a huge huge fan of The Sims 4 and I will never take part of the "This game is better then this" war that's all about insulting what people love. Now me personally I think The Sims mobile is the one thing hardly anyone even cared about. I never even had this in my mind and it breaks my heart this is what The Sims is being reduced to. Yes this is not a replacement for The Sims 4 but that should be a focus including the bug and lag issues that some of us have been having not a freakin mobile game that I never heard one person request. But while I disagree with this move by only 887% I will not share hate for it either. I will not be divided integrated with what I love which is The Sims 1-4 (although Sims 1-3 the most) so everyone just simply "PLAY WITH WHAT YOU LOVE".
  • KiwicantdieKiwicantdie Posts: 1,305 Member
    I really don't get why people are bothered by microtransactions in free mobile games. I've played mobile games for years and I've never seen one without them.
    I'll play both, since pc and mobile games are my favorites.
    KEBB11a.png
    Origin ID: Kiwicantdie
    Willow Creek | Evergreen Harbor
  • Hadron1776Hadron1776 Posts: 330 Member
    For me, it's like this:
    - Pay $10-$30 for a game pack I'll keep forever OR
    - Download a game for free, then pay $5 every 10 minutes if I want to do anything useful.

Considering how TSM is basically a stripped down Sims 4, it's no contest.
  • ehaught58ehaught58 Posts: 2,765 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

No. People who play the Pc series are a diehard bunch, and will not cave to mobile game. I expect the new game to attract new type of player. Those of us who relish in the pc versions and who were never interested in console, or mobile or MMO will never play that game. It will attract a new player though for awhile.

You can say that again! Especially for builders. The app has absolutely nothing for builders! :/
    fkgck4xkargo.png
    "If you build it, they will come." - Movie: Field of Dreams
  • Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    edited May 2017
    does anybody know if TSMobile is an avatar game, playable only with one character or one family tops ?
    or is rotational gameplay possible ?

i've got the answer
    only one home lot
    only one family through generations

i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA
    I really don't get why people are bothered by microtransactions in free mobile games. I've played mobile games for years and I've never seen one without them.

This might shed some light on the cash grab grubbing.

https://www.cnet.com/news/why-mobile-games-suck/
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    Hadron1776 wrote: »
    For me, it's like this:
    - Download a game for free, then pay $5 every 10 minutes if I want to do anything useful.

Forever is a long time. You don't get to keep the sims 4 forever. It's on loan to you and tied into origin. EA owns TS4. Your paying to borrow it just like this new mobile game. You would only get to keep the sims 4 if EA decided to release the game from origin and offer it free. 10 years from now newer hardware may not be able to run the game. The sims 1 has a rough time running on new hardware.

I have the sims 1, 2 and 3 all on disc. None of my versions are tied into origin so yes I can keep them forever however I doubt Ill be able to play them in the future if they are not compatible with newer hardware.

Mobile games might be cash grabbing, you're right, yet they never grabbed my money. Weird.
    I play as a casual f2p on mobile, always. I still manage to have fun for years, if I like the game.
    KEBB11a.png

Mobile games might be cash grabbing, you're right, yet they never grabbed my money. Weird.
    I play as a casual f2p on mobile, always. I still manage to have fun for years, if I like the game.

The Sims Mobile will not be the Sims Free Play.
  • Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member
    edited May 2017
    As much as I despise ts4, I will probably download the similar Sims Mobile on my iPad and keep it along with my SFreeplay for the occasional layover when flying. It'll simply be there for what it is... a timewaster. Like I found out with ts4, it'll be impossible for me to have anything invested in it emotionally or, except for the space it occupies on my iPad, financially... because it's just a timewaster game unlike what I consider to be a true Sims game (i.e., life simulators).

The Sims Mobile will not be the Sims Free Play.

Of course it won't be. It's a different game. So?
    KEBB11a.png
  • WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
    For me, it's like this:

Forever is a long time. You don't get to keep the sims 4 forever. It's on loan to you and tied into origin. EA owns TS4. Your paying to borrow it just like this new mobile game. You would only get to keep the sims 4 if EA decided to release the game from origin and offer it free. 10 years from now newer hardware may not be able to run the game. The sims 1 has a rough time running on new hardware.

I have the sims 1, 2 and 3 all on disc. None of my versions are tied into origin so yes I can keep them forever however I doubt Ill be able to play them in the future if they are not compatible with newer hardware.
    I can see negative thoughts about downloaded games. GOG tries to address the issues by claiming that the games are DRM-free and that you own the game, Steam and Origin doesn't mention that. Also Origin can block you from downloading the game. For example, all The Sims 2 games except The Sims 2 UC can't be downloaded and The Sims 3 as of January 11, 2016 no longer allows downloads of EPs/SPs to non-1.69 games. Some older games such as Mass Effect, Dead Space, The Sims 3, and The Sims Medieval also include the Origin sign-in when downloaded from Origin.

The reason The Sims doesn't work on newer computers is due to Windows 10 being included on newer PCs. It's not Windows that's the problem, it's the copy protection that The Sims uses. The Sims uses SafeDisc which Windows 10 has blocked making the game unable to be played, also Microsoft released the KB3086255 update that has blocked SafeDisc causing games such as The Sims, SimCity 4, Age of Empires II, and Syberia to not work.

The Sims 2 does run but it doesn't support the higher resolutions by default and it also has black boxes under Sims/Pets. The Sims 3 does run on newer PCs but the GraphicsCards.sgr and GraphicsRules.sgr files doesn't include entries for newer NVIDIA, AMD, and Intel GPUs causing a warning to pop up and even if the game runs fine, you'll have to find a way to limit the fps since newer cards can get very high fps and there is no V-Sync. Also according to @BluebellFlora on her website, The Sims 3 doesn't run on newer Macs if playing on macOS due to the Intel and AMD GPUs not being supported.
    Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer
    @WinMacSims3 I don't have Sierra installed, but I play all my Sims on Mac Desktop ( OS X El Capitan) with no problems. My Sims3 launcher is at 1.67? because Mac doesn't let it update to 1.69.
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited May 2017
    For me, it's like this:

I can see negative thoughts about downloaded games. GOG tries to address the issues by claiming that the games are DRM-free and that you own the game, Steam and Origin doesn't mention that. Also Origin can block you from downloading the game. For example, all The Sims 2 games except The Sims 2 UC can't be downloaded and The Sims 3 as of January 11, 2016 no longer allows downloads of EPs/SPs to non-1.69 games. Some older games such as Mass Effect, Dead Space, The Sims 3, and The Sims Medieval also include the Origin sign-in when downloaded from Origin.

All games now controlled by origin are on "Loan". This is specific to EA games. Steam has allot of different games by allot of different publishers. If steam went under I don't know what would happen to those games as far as being on "Loan" . I guess it would be up to the publisher if they chose to release their games for free or without DRM.

Pouring money into PC games with DRM or buying things for a mobile app is no different. There is no guarantee that you will ever be able to own the games outright.
    For me, it's like this:

The reason The Sims doesn't work on newer computers is due to Windows 10 being included on newer PCs. It's not Windows that's the problem, it's the copy protection that The Sims uses. The Sims uses SafeDisc which Windows 10 has blocked making the game unable to be played, also Microsoft released the KB3086255 update that has blocked SafeDisc causing games such as The Sims, SimCity 4, Age of Empires II, and Syberia to not work.

The Sims 2 does run but it doesn't support the higher resolutions by default and it also has black boxes under Sims/Pets. The Sims 3 does run on newer PCs but the GraphicsCards.sgr and GraphicsRules.sgr files doesn't include entries for newer NVIDIA, AMD, and Intel GPUs causing a warning to pop up and even if the game runs fine, you'll have to find a way to limit the fps since newer cards can get very high fps and there is no V-Sync. Also according to @BluebellFlora on her website, The Sims 3 doesn't run on newer Macs if playing on macOS due to the Intel and AMD GPUs not being supported.

I don't have windows 10. I have 8 but still.

Sims 1 and 2 I'm sure would look awful at higher resolutions. They are not designed to play at higher resolution. I know The game does not look great in 1080p.

The best way to play TS3 on Mac would be to bootcamp windows. It runs much better on windows
  • ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    edited May 2017
    I've never understood the split between simmers to begin with. At the root of it all, we are simmers. We are gamers who love a game, in this case, Sims games.

Why should it matter if someone loves Sims 1 or Sims 3?

Why does it matter to person 1 that person 2 prefers Sims 4 or sims mobile?

If everyone would just accept the fact that we are all different, not exactly like them and that we all like different things, and that includes sims games and gameplay. There is no right or wrong way to play the sims.

There is no right or wrong version to play. If everyone would worry more about themselves instead of trying to force people to agree with them and get some kind of validation from that, we wouldn't have a divide.

Honest to god, how is our preference much different then any other preference we have in life? Not everyone likes pizza, not everyone likes roller coaster rides, not everyone is straight, not everyone wants to be married. If we can accept another persons choices for other life choices, why can't we accept others choices with sims games?
    p8L4V6v.png
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    Also according to @BluebellFlora on her website, The Sims 3 doesn't run on newer Macs if playing on macOS due to the Intel and AMD GPUs not being supported.

That's not exactly what I've said. It's fact that Macs produced from 2013 onwards are equipped with Intel Iris/Intel HD and/or AMD GPUs which are not supported in the GraphicsCards.sgr and GraphicsRules.sgr files. Any version of macOS after OS X 10.9.5 Mavericks is also not supported. I have posted copious workarounds and solutions to these issues on my website and various forums and social media so there is a chance the game will work, it's just not 100% guaranteed. The Sims 3 has not had any sort of update since January 2014 so I think it's pretty safe to say that EA have now abandoned the game for Mac users. The only silver lining for Mac users is that we have never needed Origin to actually play the game. Once it's downloaded and installed it plays independently. But the negatives of the woeful Cider port for Mac users really do outweigh that benefit.

@charlotteprice it's not that your Launcher can't update to 1.69, there is no 1.69 update for the Mac version of the game :)

Anyway sorry, OT but I was tagged and decided to respond :)
    apple-signature.png
    Also according to @BluebellFlora on her website, The Sims 3 doesn't run on newer Macs if playing on macOS due to the Intel and AMD GPUs not being supported.

That's not exactly what I've said. It's fact that Macs produced from 2013 onwards are equipped with Intel Iris/Intel HD and/or AMD GPUs which are not supported in the GraphicsCards.sgr and GraphicsRules.sgr files. Any version of macOS after OS X 10.9.5 Mavericks is also not supported. I have posted copious workarounds and solutions to these issues on my website and various forums and social media so there is a chance the game will work, it's just not 100% guaranteed. The Sims 3 has not had any sort of update since January 2014 so I think it's pretty safe to say that EA have now abandoned the game for Mac users. The only silver lining for Mac users is that we have never needed Origin to actually play the game. Once it's downloaded and installed it plays independently. But the negatives of the woeful Cider port for Mac users really do outweigh that benefit.

@charlotteprice it's not that your Launcher can't update to 1.69, there is no 1.69 update for the Mac version of the game :)

Anyway sorry, OT but I was tagged and decided to respond :)

Oh, this is good to know. Also, I do need Origin because my Mac doesn't have the disk tray :s but I still have all my S3 disks :)