Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Clearing up trolling about Sims Mobile

Comments

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    ts1depot wrote: »
    However, and this is very important, someone disagreeing with your perspective is not trolling.

There have been a small, specific group of bloggers and forum posters who've been repeatedly spamming the internet with lies to upset players. They've been telling people that Sims Mobile is just a "port" of TS4 (not true). They've been saying that the game is a slap in the face to TS4 players because it's "giving away hundreds of dollars worth of EPs, SPs, and GPs for free", that Sims Mobile is proof that TS4 will end in 2018, that the fact that they rearranged the forums to accommodate Sims Mobile is further proof that EA has abandoned or neglected development for TS4.

One of their threads got so out of hand that a Guru had to show up to clear the misinformation in that post. Another troll had his comments deleted, then ran off to Reddit to post the same nonsense and got downvoted to oblivion as a result. And keep in mind, that's a sub that's also heavily critical of EA.

No amount of spinning my comments into "I'm just calling people trolls because they disagree with me" is going to change the fact that trolls have been running rampant on the web trying to upset players.
    Bloggers and forum posters who think Sims mobile is a free version of Sims 4 aren't trolling , that is just their understanding of it, rightfully or wrongly.

They didn't have an "understanding." They are trolls. The game is called Sims Mobile, not "Sims 4 Mobile." There was already tons of gameplay footage on YouTube showing what kind of gameplay to expect out of the game. And anyone who's played a mobile game--especially Sims Freeplay--knows that it could never be a fully developed, feature-rich version of the TS4, with all of the EPs, SPs and GPs included. Mobile gamers don't want that kind of game and it would be impossible to run it on a rinky dinky smartphone and tablet.

So how would a blogger or player have an "understanding" that Sims Mobile is a full port of TS4 in the face of so much evidence that it's not?

How is it trolling to make a thread they feared TS4 might end. And how is it trolling to say they are upset the mobile game has the yoga mat (in Spa Day) the very same one and they had to pay for it in TS4? How is that trolling to speak the truth about their real fears and their disgust with this stuff being in The Sims Mobile for free? part of it's core. (If you notice many things in the GPs or Stuff Packs) are in the core base of this mobile game. I can understand why people are upset if they aren't even going to call this TS4 Mobile, because no one got upset about TS3 being ported to mobile but they aren't saying it's TS4 Mobile so you can see how many would be upset since it has some of the very same assets they had to pay for in packs.

Coming from someone that's been playing The Sims Mobile for a couple of days to give it a try, let me just tell you this: it's nothing like TS4. Not one bit. This game doesn't even come close to a "sims" game, let alone the pc version of one.
    Only the style, a couple of animations (there are very few) and three or four chair meshes have been taken from TS4 (and I'm saying "three or four" because there are literally three or four chairs available in the entire game).
    The gameplay experience is entirely different. And, most important of all: there are no TS4 payed assests ported into The Sims Mobile. Not even one. At least, not now. Unless we're talking about those three chairs... even when there are only those three in game, and you can only afford one of them till you reach level 30.
    It's just a sims mobile game, and by playing it I see no relation whatsoever to TS4 besides a few meshes.

There's more than just 'chairs' they even have the same bedspreads and beds. C'mon you might be missing all the same assets I saw just in the first few pictures. Did you miss the Spa Day red yoga mat?
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member
    @Kiwicantdie Thank you for confirming again, which should be clear to any TS player who owns a PC and a smart phone: A mobile game cannot offer the full experience, not by a long shot. TS is not Solitaire or Backgammon for Pete's sake!
    Why would I care if someone has an object in their mobile game that resembles something that I have on my PC game? Why is it so hard to understand that free games are not actually free? And there is another very important point that OP made: there are people, who are or strive to be manipulators and have a nose for topics that will excite the ... let's say, little less mature part of the community and start threads with ludicrous claims. And the members who fall for it then start emotional threads of their own of how they have been disenfranchised by EA or Maxis because they bought a game that is either 1. not similar enough to the prequel 2. not playable with all expansions even though their computer only meets the minimum requirements for the base game or 3. they feel like they are not receiving all of the information all of the time. And now there is a new outcry: I paid for a game that someone else is now playing for free! There are a bunch of threads where people post how they feel as facts!
    I am not saying that there are not legitimate complaints out there about bugs or incredible ideas for future content, but there is a lot of outrage over essentially nothing dominating the forums once again.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
    edited May 2017
    @Kiwicantdie Thank you for confirming again, which should be clear to any TS player who owns a PC and a smart phone: A mobile game cannot offer the full experience, not by a long shot. TS is not Solitaire or Backgammon for Pete's sake!
    Why would I care if someone has an object in their mobile game that resembles something that I have on my PC game? Why is it so hard to understand that free games are not actually free? And there is another very important point that OP made: there are people, who are or strive to be manipulators and have a nose for topics that will excite the ... let's say, little less mature part of the community and start threads with ludicrous claims. And the members who fall for it then start emotional threads of their own of how they have been disenfranchised by EA or Maxis because they bought a game that is either 1. not similar enough to the prequel 2. not playable with all expansions even though their computer only meets the minimum requirements for the base game or 3. they feel like they are not receiving all of the information all of the time. And now there is a new outcry: I paid for a game that someone else is now playing for free! There are a bunch of threads where people post how they feel as facts!
    I am not saying that there are not legitimate complaints out there about bugs or incredible ideas for future content, but there is a lot of outrage over essentially nothing dominating the forums once again.

You know it's not good to be cynical (believing that people are generally selfish and dishonest) of people who may not even have a manipulative bone in their body and think that's a big sin more than lying straight out. Seeing conspiracy around every corner such as thinking people just make negative threads to manipulate others into an emotional state of mind and jen them up is really saying something about someone's own emotional state and seeing their fellow humans in a biased light from the get go.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • anonmysteryanonmystery Posts: 135 Member
    However, and this is very important, someone disagreeing with your perspective is not trolling.

There have been a small, specific group of bloggers and forum posters who've been repeatedly spamming the internet with lies to upset players. They've been telling people that Sims Mobile is just a "port" of TS4 (not true). They've been saying that the game is a slap in the face to TS4 players because it's "giving away hundreds of dollars worth of EPs, SPs, and GPs for free", that Sims Mobile is proof that TS4 will end in 2018, that the fact that they rearranged the forums to accommodate Sims Mobile is further proof that EA has abandoned or neglected development for TS4.

One of their threads got so out of hand that a Guru had to show up to clear the misinformation in that post. Another troll had his comments deleted, then ran off to Reddit to post the same nonsense and got downvoted to oblivion as a result. And keep in mind, that's a sub that's also heavily critical of EA.

No amount of spinning my comments into "I'm just calling people trolls because they disagree with me" is going to change the fact that trolls have been running rampant on the web trying to upset players. And to be quite frank, dismissing what has been a clear case of trolling as merely me "disagreeing" with people makes you come off poorly. Not only are you trying to downplay the fact that it's been happening, you're trying to make a case that the lies that they made up is all just a matter of "perspective" when it's not a matter of perspective. It's people posting lies to upset others, not "perspective." That's the very definition of trolling.
    Bloggers and forum posters who think Sims mobile is a free version of Sims 4 aren't trolling , that is just their understanding of it, rightfully or wrongly.

They didn't have an "understanding." They are trolls. The game is called Sims Mobile, not "Sims 4 Mobile." There was already tons of gameplay footage on YouTube showing what kind of gameplay to expect out of the game. And anyone who's played a mobile game--especially Sims Freeplay--knows that it could never be a fully developed, feature-rich version of the TS4, with all of the EPs, SPs and GPs included. Mobile gamers don't want that kind of game and it would be impossible to run it on a rinky dinky smartphone and tablet.

So how would a blogger or player have an "understanding" that Sims Mobile is a full port of TS4 in the face of so much evidence that it's not?

In your original post you made no distinction between people who were expressing their concerns about the game or people who were actively campaigning to cause disruption to the forums at their own expense.

Even what you have just posted does not constitute as proof that there is some big crazy troll campaign to sabotage the Sims forums of all places. At most it shows that there are a couple of oversensitive people who are letting their anger out across platforms which could be annoying, and could instigate more anger, but in no way proved that there is a direct campaign against the forums.

I'm curious, do you then consider me to be a troll as well for having the audacity to disagree with you seeing as you think that I'm not coming across well? Or just a sheep with no agency, who can't form a negative opinion of my own?

I mean I get it if it just comes down to you feeling that too many people are coming to the mobile section with hate, but this whole trolling conspiracy theory thing seems so far fetched. I almost feel bad commenting anymore because I feel like you're quite emotionally invested in this discussion for some reason but I wanted to make sure that you were not insinuating that I was a troll?? Literally just a student casually procrastinating....
    @Cinebar What you are saying is not wrong. It just has little to do with what I was trying to say. I did not mention conspiracies. And if you believe that there can't be people out there - not only on this forum, but also TS news sites - that try to excite others over nothing to promote their blog, vlog or YT channel, I am not going to argue with you.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required

we all try ...
  • KiwicantdieKiwicantdie Posts: 1,305 Member

No amount of spinning my comments into "I'm just calling people trolls because they disagree with me" is going to change the fact that trolls have been running rampant on the web trying to upset players.

How is it trolling to make a thread they feared TS4 might end. And how is it trolling to say they are upset the mobile game has the yoga mat (in Spa Day) the very same one and they had to pay for it in TS4? How is that trolling to speak the truth about their real fears and their disgust with this stuff being in The Sims Mobile for free? part of it's core. (If you notice many things in the GPs or Stuff Packs) are in the core base of this mobile game. I can understand why people are upset if they aren't even going to call this TS4 Mobile, because no one got upset about TS3 being ported to mobile but they aren't saying it's TS4 Mobile so you can see how many would be upset since it has some of the very same assets they had to pay for in packs.

Coming from someone that's been playing The Sims Mobile for a couple of days to give it a try, let me just tell you this: it's nothing like TS4. Not one bit. This game doesn't even come close to a "sims" game, let alone the pc version of one.
    Only the style, a couple of animations (there are very few) and three or four chair meshes have been taken from TS4 (and I'm saying "three or four" because there are literally three or four chairs available in the entire game).
    The gameplay experience is entirely different. And, most important of all: there are no TS4 payed assests ported into The Sims Mobile. Not even one. At least, not now. Unless we're talking about those three chairs... even when there are only those three in game, and you can only afford one of them till you reach level 30.
    It's just a sims mobile game, and by playing it I see no relation whatsoever to TS4 besides a few meshes.

There's more than just 'chairs' they even have the same bedspreads and beds. C'mon you might be missing all the same assets I saw just in the first few pictures. Did you miss the Spa Day red yoga mat?

Yes, I saw those beds. No, they didn't bother me at all.
    Why would I bothered by seeing that a free game has ONE bed with the same bedspreads of a bed that came in a fully fleshed out EP that gave me instead dozens upon dozens of new objects, activities and lots?
    Forgive me the metaphor, but you're literally comparing a grain of flour to a whole pizza.
    You saw pictures, I played the game.
    I'm not here to tell you to suck it up and like this mobile game, really, that's not what I'm trying to do. I'm replying just to inform you that this game does not have any similar asset to TS4 besides the way it "looks". If you play The Sims Mobile and use the infamous red yoga mat, for example, you'll finally understand what I'm talking about.
    KEBB11a.png
    Origin ID: Kiwicantdie
    Willow Creek | Evergreen Harbor
    @Cinebar What you are saying is not wrong. It just has little to do with what I was trying to say. I did not mention conspiracies. And if you believe that there can't be people out there - not only on this forum, but also TS news sites - that try to excite others over nothing to promote their blog, vlog or YT channel, I am not going to argue with you.

Sometimes, I'm naïve. But I really do believe people had real fears TS4 was ending extremely soon and they really don't like the new game. I think those feelings are real and not made up. And it's sad they can't express them.
    @Cinebar I do not disagree. But some of these discussions just get way too emotional for my taste - considering not only the realities of The Sims franchise but reality period. For instance, it has become a forum tradition that every 7 sec quarterly teaser receives harsh critisism and outbursts of righteous indignation over its lack of content or how useless the new pack looks. When really all you can make after 7 sec are assumptions. I could do with a little more thought and research and a lot less emotion and outrage. And I can certainly do without people who fan the flames for their own benefit.
    I am very cynical by the way, has to do with my job, I suppose. I just don't believe in conspiracies, it's mostly done for personal gain.

we all try ...
    @Cinebar I do not disagree. But some of these discussions just get way too emotional for my taste - considering not only the realities of The Sims franchise but reality period. For instance, it has become a forum tradition that every 7 sec quarterly teaser receives harsh critisism and outbursts of righteous indignation over its lack of content or how useless the new pack looks. When really all you can make after 7 sec are assumptions. I could do with a little more thought and research and a lot less emotion and outrage. And I can certainly do without people who fan the flames for their own benefit.
    I am very cynical by the way, has to do with my job, I suppose. I just don't believe in conspiracies, it's mostly done for personal gain.

Look at the title of this thread. Those who have complained there is a new social game and they are afraid this may become more popular than the current pc game are being labeled trolls. They also expressed it reminds them 100% of TS4 just on mobile (the assets/objects/wallpaint etc) and they are upset about that (note the new Sims even have the very same clothes as TS4) since they paid big bucks $80 for a game that now has it's assets over in a mobile game are being called trolls. I just think saying clearing up trolling in a thread is a very cynical way to look at others who have real reasons to be upset and or afraid their game might end.
  • dreamprisonerdreamprisoner Posts: 1,221 Member
    I don't even mind that it re-uses Sims 4 assets. Obviously they have to pay, probably as much as we do, in the long run for the same objects.

My issue is that they have careers we don't, 'Confess Affair' and a sowing machine. That's just from the trailer, who knows what other things they have that we don't in the PC version.
    I don't even mind that it re-uses Sims 4 assets. Obviously they have to pay, probably as much as we do, in the long run for the same objects.

My issue is that they have careers we don't, 'Confess Affair' and a sowing machine. That's just from the trailer, who knows what other things they have that we don't in the PC version.

A lot of things TS4 players have requested.
    I get it. Simmers want all the things. I am one of them, so I really do understand. But we will not get everything the mobile game has, after all that would mean there would be no incentive for TS4 players to also get the mobile game. That does not make EA a bunch of meanies; they just know that you want all the things and they want you to play all the games.

we all try ...
  • PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    This won't be a game for me. Right now I'm looking at gaming laptops for a better quality graphics experience. I'm not going in the direction of a 10" tablet. No thanks....to me it's sham Sims.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    I showed my girls the video's and pics. Told them it had a lot of things in it that looks like what is in Sims4 PC. They are excited. My Daughter plays Sims Freeplay and likes it. I asked her why and she said because she doesn't have a computer! She can afford one, it's just that my kids are all about their phones. They are excited to get this app when it is available!

I, personally don't play mobile apps, and don't know much about them at all because I only use my phone to talk and text :D I prefer a bigger screen and always played on desktop.

Nothing wrong with the mobile app coming out, I hope the one's excited about it, enjoy it. I am sure if I played it, I would waste money on it too! Nothing wrong with investing in something you enjoy, if you are able to!

Anyway, thanks for explaining this mobile stuff @ts1depot ;)

• SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    All this fuss and bother might have been avoided if EA had given the PC gamers the assurances beforehand that @SimGuruDrake had to put on the Forum later.

Just what did EA expect?
    I get it. Simmers want all the things. I am one of them, so I really do understand. But we will not get everything the mobile game has, after all that would mean there would be no incentive for TS4 players to also get the mobile game. That does not make EA a bunch of meanies; they just know that you want all the things and they want you to play all the games.

Shouldn't there be incentive for people to get the Sims 4 PC game? There is already incentive to get the mobile game for people who are avid mobile users, people who can't afford a PC or people who want to play sims on the go. The Mobile game shouldn't have what the game has and more. Honestly, giving the mobile game features that Sims 4 PC players don't get is just going to make us angry, not make us want to play the mobile game. The mobile game appeals to completely different people, no amount of stuff is going to make me go from a large laptop screen to an itsy bitsy phone game with characters that have massive heads.
  • BonnieBonnie Posts: 159 Member
    My issue with the Sims Mobile game is general fact that it's a pay to win game, and I have serious issues with pay to win games. In fact, myself and my partner like to go on long and arduous rants about how pay to play ruins your life. Yes, yes, yes you can play without spending ANY money at all but what irks me is the fact that they've offered you a way to cheat your way to the top. Maxis and EA are both really respectable companies with a super wide range of games that have done amazingly well in the gaming community... Then they come out with something like this? It's a bit of a shot in the foot for them. I feel like they've let me down as a company a little. They already have plenty of amazing Sims games out and Sims Mobile feels like it's a giant rake for all the green stuff they're going to be hauling in from it. They ought to have set an example for other game companies against this kind of thing, the same with Bethesda for Fallout Shelter. Bethesda had an opportunity to create an amazing fleshed out fully fledged game and sell it for £9.99 (or something along those lines) on steam and still make good money. But instead they went down the pay to win option and honestly it's totally put me off.

They're telling other companies that it's okay to exploit everyone that's supported them for all these years. It's okay to offer tempting ways to spend all your money for what, exactly? Your timer to speed up and for you to complete that action an hour or two earlier than everyone not spending money. I'm not saying everyone will spend money on this app but I bet you a large majority of people will. It'll pay for itself a million times over. I reckon it'll still be raking in the profit just like Sims Free Play still is. They're playing on the weaknesses of certain clients and I honestly don't see how that's fair at all. They're not thinking about their consumers they're thinking about lining their pockets. It's a bit of a sham. Mobile games don't have to be pay to play at all, there are plenty of ways they can be fully formed games of their own. I know many mobile games that are sold for a tenner or so on the app store and they're an amazing play. And I've kept them all these years as well. Every time I download a pay to win game it stays on my phone for the better part of a month, then I get bored of waiting. Just to be clear though, this is all just my opinion.
    f63c55b4ba116173bd3db5dc0bc5ae7893dcb9d0.gif
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    This should be made as an announcement!

I don't understand where the idea that The Sims 4 + all packs is being given away for free on mobile.

It's one of the seeds that was planted by trolls using a relatively new trolling tactic. What a few of them did was show up pretending to be TS4 players "upset" with Sims Mobile, with the reason that it meant that they had wasted all this money on TS4. Other players took the bait and started believing the same.

It's a new trolling tactic that's becoming popular across the web now. When people want to sink a project, they show up pretending to be "upset" over a bogus reason they made up. Because people can't tell whether someone is really upset or faking it, they believe that what the trolls are saying is true.

Like, imagine if a week before the new Family Pack came out, a group of people started posting, "Oh, it's so upsetting how in the new Family Pack we're not going to get a new theme park like they promised!" "Yeah, I know, man! I'm so upset, too! It's not fair and just more proof that they keep cutting corners on this game and stripping out content!"

Keep in mind--no one promised that there would be a new theme park. But if enough people kept posting that over and over again, before long, you would be confused into thinking that at some point, a theme park had been promised and that it was being taken out. And then you would get upset, too.

That's how this type of trolling works, and that's what they did in this case with Sims Mobile. They showed up, went, "Wahhh!!! I'm so hurt! I can't believe I spent $300, $400 on this game so that mobile players can get it all for free! And look, the mobile players are getting all this extra, fleshed out content that we've been asking for!" Then they sat back and laughed watching everyone flying into a panic or getting upset.

They are still laughing, which is why I posted this thread. Like I said before, it's not going to stop them from doing what they're doing but if I can convince one player to realize what's up, I've done my job.

This is an absolutley ridiculous post filled with nothing but illogical nonsense and animosity toward anyone who doesn't praise the mobile game.

It's no secret or lie that Sims 4 assets were ported over to use in this mobile game. By watching the trailer you can see that. Is it a full copy of Sims 4? Well no, logically thats impossible for the vast majority of mobile devices. It was designed to look like Sims 4, using assets from The Sims 4 and recreating tools from The Sims 4. Anyone who thought they were getting a 'Sims 4 lite' fell victim to Maxis' misleading marketing videos. It failed to communicate that players will be playing the waiting game 99% of the time unless they want to shell out $$$. The trailer took a game that was built to resemble Sims 4 and advertised it like a mobile version of Sims 4 not a clone of Freeplay which is basically the same thing.
    @dreamprisoner The incentive to get the PC version is getting a full-fledged game. I would strongly recommend reading comments of people who have tried the mobile game, e.g. Kiwicantdie (which can be found in this thread, for your convenience!) explained the differences incredibly well, at least in my opinion.

we all try ...
    @dreamprisoner The incentive to get the PC version is getting a full-fledged game. I would strongly recommend reading comments of people who have tried the mobile game, e.g. Kiwicantdie (which can be found in this thread, for your convenience!) explained the differences incredibly well, at least in my opinion.

So then they both have equal incentive to different markets. Which begs the question why the mobile game has more assets than those we have in the PC version.

So then they both have equal incentive to different markets. Which begs the question why the mobile game has more assets than those we have in the PC version.

I can answer that question: It doesn't.

we all try ...
    edited May 2017

It doesn't have 'confess affair' or a sowing machine?

Obviously its a different game, it has different assets. Real time etc. Things that you might consider inferior to the PC game, but that's just the style of game you're going to get on a mobile vs PC. Different Markets, different ways of making money. They're only releasing some pack content for free because they know they'll get the money back through people paying to speed things up. Its a trade.

However, I'm talking about translatable assets, things the two can share. Confess affair, sowing machines and fashion career (and I'm sure there are more things), have been asked for, can and should have been added to the PC game, but haven't. Instead the Mobile game has them, and that isn't fair.
  • ts1depotts1depot Posts: 1,438 Member
    Bonnie wrote: »
    My issue with the Sims Mobile game is general fact that it's a pay to win game, and I have serious issues with pay to win games.

You've obviously downloaded Sims Mobile like I did yesterday and therefore have some experience to back up your claim that it's "pay to win." Can you explain how it's "pay to win," given what you've played? Some specifics would be nice.

Thanks.

EiFlric.png
    It has assets that you would like in the PC game, I get that. Maybe it even has more of the assets that you want than the PC game. But there are not more assets. For example, in CAS there are 10 female hair styles, 6 tops and 4 bottoms. While I am sure you can unlock more, paying with time or money, this does not result in me believing the tale of Sims Mobile offering more assets - especially for free - than the PC game.
    I don't think we will agree on this though, so this is my last comment on that.

we all try ...
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member

It doesn't have 'confess affair' or a sowing machine?

Obviously its a different game, it has different assets. Real time etc. Things that you might consider inferior to the PC game, but that's just the style of game you're going to get on a mobile vs PC. Different Markets, different ways of making money. They're only releasing some pack content for free because they know they'll get the money back through people paying to speed things up. Its a trade.

However, I'm talking about translatable assets, things the two can share. Confess affair, sowing machines and fashion career (and I'm sure there are more things), have been asked for, can and should have been added to the PC game, but haven't. Instead the Mobile game has them, and that isn't fair.

It has some things that TS4 does not. It does not appear to have more things than TS4, by any means. It also is, by all reports, an entirely different type of gameplay. It is not TS4-plus-extras-we-asked-for sitting on a phone for free.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top