Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Please let phones be optional.

SkobeeSkobee Posts: 2,864 Member
So something has been bugging me to no end and I would really like an answer or maybe support from people who feel the same.

I find that having a phone from the start is kind of annoying for when you're going for a specific lifestyle. I love technology, however my sims often do not, atleast I want them to not care which they seem to do almost everyday when they're browsing their phone. I get the idea why you'd want to give phones for every sim (even children..) but what if my sims are poor? What if they hate the outside world and only want to work on their garden and enjoy the simple life.

Not to mention, even if I turn my phone on "silent" for my sims they still get messages. They still look on their phone. I had a very poor sim, living on a flat piece of land with a tent. Somehow she was still rich enough for a phone? It just doesn't make sense and it's becoming more annoying now I want to have an option to play however I want to.

So please @SimGuruDrake @SimGuruGraham or any other guru working on TS4, would you be able to make it optional. Something like in the options menu where you "buy phone online" or "have a phone for everyone" option where you can choose for yourself? I don't want all my children getting a phone, not every child wants a phone. I know they come in handy, but not everyone actually likes having one.

Hope it will be possible one day. Thank you for reading!
Origin ID - RosyAngelina

Comments

• Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,106 Member
    This would be amazing, particularly when I want to play historical or technophobe sims.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    I hope in that sense they bring back the house phone. Yea Yea I know not a lot of people still have them but kids can have their friends call on that phone to invited them over to play. just a suggestion.
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    Just popping in to say I support this 100%.

Good luck.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
    My house has a phone. We even have it set to filter out nuisance calls, something I haven't yet managed to do on my mobile.
  • heatherXkittyheatherXkitty Posts: 307 Member
    edited May 2017
    I liked in TS2 how you had to buy a cell phone in order for your sim to have one. EA should also add house phones back, I miss them. I love building and decorating my sims houses and one of the things I would love to have in their home is a phone. The house looks better with one imo, you know like having one on an entry table or on the wall in the kitchen. And it's be nice to have them so you wouldn't be required to own a cell but still be able to send/receive calls.

Edit: I just want to add that irl I hate how little kids have cell phone. Whenever I go to my nephews elementary school to pick him up I see little 7 and up kids using expensive phones. I got my first cell ten years ago, when I was fifteen. I would like it if children sims didn't have phone by default unless they are boughten for them by the player.
    banner_3.jpg?w=1200
  • SkobeeSkobee Posts: 2,864 Member
    @heatherXkitty I got my first phone at age 16. It wasn't even a brand new one but I was so excited. I see kids in my neighbourhood with the newest Iphones and I just can not understand why they need such a thing? Just get them a simple Nokia so they can call you in emergencies, don't give a 6 year old a 800 dollar Iphone ???
    Origin ID - RosyAngelina
  • Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member
    I support this in any ways possible, I once started to play out a story that took place in the 1940s, and it just wasn't very believable when my sim constantly got text messages from friends. I would like an option in the game where you can click on the phone symbol in the bottom left and deactivate it completely, it's easier than buying one every time you start a new save.

Btw, I got my first cellphone when I was in 3rd grade, so with age 8-9, but it was a simple phone where you were only able to call or write text messages (which costed much back then). Such phones were very normal, because the smartphones that existed were so expensive that the average person couldn't afford one.
    Origin ID: Huiiie_07

I like to build stuff
  • angelchromeangelchrome Posts: 421 Member
    Skobee wrote: »
    I find that having a phone from the start is kind of annoying for when you're going for a specific lifestyle.
    I find that having a phone from the start is kind of very annoying for when you're going for a specific lifestyle playing the game.
    Sorry, I had to personalize your quote ;)

The smart phone in S3 is annoying and nothing has changed with S4.
    My Sims can't have friends because all they do is call you at all hours to watch a loading screen and go to a bar.
    IRL, I can turn my phone off. Food for thought.
  • MarnettiMarnetti Posts: 1,047 Member
    Dude. That'd be nice. I loved when in TS2 you had to purchase cellphones for each of them if wanted. The only thing is that they'd have to change the UI. Whic I doubt, but here's to hoping!
    ~I just like lifestates. Is that too much to ask for?~
    tumblr_p4xbgrS3wO1tltr42o1_500.gif
  • BlindxSecretsBlindxSecrets Posts: 652 Member
    Just being able to turn the phone off completely and not just make it silent would be wonderful. That way it's like you don't have one, because you can't get messages or calls. Seems like a more simple solution, but choosing whether or not to have a phone in general would be such a welcome change.
    The Noble Legacy (A Prettacy)
    Origin ID: BlindxSecrets
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,748 Member
    In my legacy story in my current chapter Leah and Denise have smart phones (Sara Wendy's step-sisters, Step-cousins to Selene). Sara Wendy (5th cousin to Selene)has more of an old-fashion cell phone and Selene has none
    6adMCGP.gif
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    I absolutely agree! I would really love an option to turn off phone use and idle animations that cater to it.
    #Team Occult
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member

I wish we could play without phones, the next best thing is MC Command Center. I use it now and have removed the phone. It works really well and I can't say how happy I am not to be bothered by it all the time. No idle fiddling and no playing games on the phone all the time.

Now if I could do that without a mod it would be even better. Optional phone ingame would be best. Then I could let the geeks have the phone and the rest skip it.
    I wish we could play without phones, the next best thing is MC Command Center. I use it now and have removed the phone. It works really well and I can't say how happy I am not to be bothered by it all the time. No idle fiddling and no playing games on the phone all the time.

Now if I could do that without a mod it would be even better. Optional phone ingame would be best. Then I could let the geeks have the phone and the rest skip it.

How did you use the mod to remove the phone? I would love to be able to do that for some of my sims and I use that mod.
  • SparklePlumleySparklePlumley Posts: 1,061 Member
    edited May 2017
    Yep I'm on the optional cell phone train!
    Choo Choo! B)
    I'm really happy to read i'm not the only one who wants an option to get either rid of the phone or the option to not use it/hear it at all.

I don't want my child to have a phone and play videogames when we live in a very bad apartment trying to pay the bills. Why would my child have an expensive phone in that kind of situation? So here's hoping they'll ever read this *fingers crossed*.
    Origin ID - RosyAngelina
  • NectereNectere Posts: 1,002 Member
    Skobee wrote: »
    So please @SimGuruDrake @SimGuruGraham or any other guru working on TS4, would you be able to make it optional. Something like in the options menu where you "buy phone online" or "have a phone for everyone" option where you can choose for yourself? I don't want all my children getting a phone, not every child wants a phone. I know they come in handy, but not everyone actually likes having one.

Hope it will be possible one day. Thank you for reading!

I concur.
    Mods should enhance my game, not fix it.
    Origin ID NectereSim
  • Hobbitmama75Hobbitmama75 Posts: 75 Member
    Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes. Yes. Pleaaaaase!!!!
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member

How did you use the mod to remove the phone? I would love to be able to do that for some of my sims and I use that mod.

It's in the tuner-section.

https://deaderpoolmc.tumblr.com/doc/mctuner

I stopped my sims from using the computer unless instructed to do so as well. There are several really nice one :)
    Ah, thank you! I will have a look for it.
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    You don't have to use the phone and can't it be turned off so it doesn't ring.
  • pinkishpinkish Posts: 693 Member
    I never use the phone, it has no purpose to me, I get a call and just click on the middle speed button till it goes away.
    I get calls to go out to eat or meet up with someone, they are only there for a minute, unless we are at a restaurant and them I have to pay ????
    The only thing they might be good for is when someone texts you about a promotion, birthday party, or when you have a child. Otherwise they are just annoying.
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    You don't have to use the phone and can't it be turned off so it doesn't ring.

Turning it off doesn't actually work. You still recieve calls and messages. Sims also use the phone on their own to play games or check the web.
    Origin ID - RosyAngelina
  • JudipenJudipen Posts: 1 New Member
    I wish we could buy phones of different expenses as well. Imagine a cheap phone, that didn't very well and had to be fixed often. Also, phones that let sims call you more or less often would be a great addition to my game.
  • NectereNectere Posts: 1,002 Member
    Judipen wrote: »
    I wish we could buy phones of different expenses as well. Imagine a cheap phone, that didn't very well and had to be fixed often. Also, phones that let sims call you more or less often would be a great addition to my game.

bahaha "We're sorry Sim Nectere has run out of data playing blickblock and is unable to send or receive calls, you may upgrade your data plan for an extra 1000 per week."
    Mods should enhance my game, not fix it.
    Origin ID NectereSim
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top