Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3 Things you didn't know!

PancakesandwichPancakesandwich Posts: 2,038 Member
edited February 16 in Nominated Threads
There is one for Sims 4, so why not for Sims 3 as well?

I mostly created this thread so I could share this very important piece of knowledge:
If a Sim's bladder fails while the Sim is standing near a fire, the peeing will extinguish a bit of fire :D
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Lol, that's new for me as well :D
    5JZ57S6.png
  • GITTE2001GITTE2001 Posts: 2,638 Member
    edited May 2017
    @Faerie197 already knew that one, it's very helpful. When my sim doesn't have time to eat before going to work I just don't let them eat, they'll eat at work anyway :)
  • AvataritAvatarit Posts: 836 Member
    edited May 2017
    Faerie197 wrote: »
    Did you know if bladder or hunger red line while at work in a rabbit hole, those two needs will reset to full with no penelty? Presumably your sim got lunch or used a bathroom at work. But it surprised me the first time it happened.

yes, I've noticed it's in the same hour, usually at the middle of the day. (I checked that a few times for the kids in school and I think it was at about ~13 oclock, it can be seen exactly at the clock, there are specific seconds in which the moodlet go away)
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,908 Member
    Did you know if bladder or hunger red line while at work in a rabbit hole, those two needs will reset to full with no penelty? Presumably your sim got lunch or used a bathroom at work. But it surprised me the first time it happened.

That's why it is more important for their hygene need to be taken care of before sending them to work if they're in a rush to be on time. Bladder and hunger will be taken care of automatically at work
    GITTE2001 wrote: »
    If your sims doesn't have to got to work on normal work days (pregnancy leave and those things) they can ask how it is at work, and if there's any stuff going on they can work on those problems at work via their pc! Just discovered this 5 minutes ago.
    Amazing! Certainly didn't know that!
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Faerie197Faerie197 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Karritz wrote: »

That's why it is more important for their hygene need to be taken care of before sending them to work if they're in a rush to be on time. Bladder and hunger will be taken care of automatically at work

Of course, this trick doesn't really help if the sim gets to work, gets promoted within 15 sim-minutes of arriving, and heads home because the boss thinks "promoted=work day is over" even though your new hours are the same as your old hours.
    Fear not the fae, for they are harmless. Anger not the fae, beware their wraith. Harm not the fae, fear the Faerie Knight.
  • MazakeenMazakeen Posts: 440 Member

Of course, this trick doesn't really help if the sim gets to work, gets promoted within 15 sim-minutes of arriving, and heads home because the boss thinks "promoted=work day is over" even though your new hours are the same as your old hours.

Yeah, or are unaware, like the fool i was, when I sent a sim off to become firefighter. -Unaware of the firestation being a lot, where I would better care for the sim's well-being manually.
    ie62Ymx.jpg
    Rawwrr...
  • Faerie197Faerie197 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Mazakeen wrote: »

Yeah, or are unaware, like the fool i was, when I sent a sim off to become firefighter. -Unaware of the firestation being a lot, where I would better care for the sim's well-being manually.

I did mention, as did others, that this trick only works with rabbit hole careers :)
    Fear not the fae, for they are harmless. Anger not the fae, beware their wraith. Harm not the fae, fear the Faerie Knight.

I think sims only get promoted when they come home at the end of their working day?
    Mazakeen wrote: »

No, they will autonomously go to the toilet there as well when they have to ;) That is, with free will enabled.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • GITTE2001GITTE2001 Posts: 2,638 Member
    edited May 2017
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,908 Member
    I would never have thought sending a sim to satisfy their hygene need before going to work in a rabbit hole career as a trick. It is simply a game strategy. It is a strategy that is obviously only useful when a sim is going to work in a rabbit hole career. There are numerous other strategies that assist game play in other situations. Obviously they can only be of benefit in specific situations.
  • PancakesandwichPancakesandwich Posts: 2,038 Member
    Woah, I didn't expect a "things nobody knew before" thread would actually be useful for a game that got released in the LAST DECADE :D
  • MazakeenMazakeen Posts: 440 Member
    edited May 2017
    Woah, I didn't expect a "things nobody knew before" thread would actually be useful for a game that got released in the LAST DECADE :D

Its a challenging and complicated game. <3
    -Like chess, ancient, mighty popular and hard to master. -Even after a decade or even longer. :#
    ie62Ymx.jpg
    Rawwrr...
  • jaletu2005jaletu2005 Posts: 688 Member
    Well here's a strategy - keep some dried food in your sims inventory (if you have WA) so they never starve and let their needs bottom out.
    I also like to have a gnome or two or flowers to give as gifts to friends around Snowflake day.

But something you didn't know? Well, if you hit Ctrl F you can place triangular tiles. Makes interesting decorating options!
    Screenshot-5.jpg
  • AvataritAvatarit Posts: 836 Member
    The number of pop-culture references (especially the references to other games). In Ambitions, if you use the time travelling thing, you may get a pop-up talking about "some sort of shepherd saving the galaxy" (a reference to Commander Sheppard, the main playable character in the Mass Effect series).

There's a Futurama reference in Oasis Landing from Into The Future, with a household made up of a man named Fryderyk, a woman named Lilah, and a robot named Bend0. There's also a household with a lady named Chelsea and a robot named Gladys. A pretty obvious Portal reference.

One of the movie posters on the cinema building in Sims University looks like the Iron Man poster. Isla Paradiso from Island Paradise is also full of references to Disney's "The Little Mermaid", including a red-haired Sim named Ariel, another Sim named Ursula, and a message in a bottle that asks for the instructions for a dinglehopper.

Oh, don't even get me started on book titles… :P

I guess that's probably known already but Gobias Koffi is a clear referance to Tobias Funke charachter from Arrested Development, specifically when he (Tobias) and Gob are trying to open a cofee house or something so they call it Gobias Cofee as in "Go buy us some cofee" :lol: Also the Funke family from the family bin, with the "never nude" trait of the father... :lol: I still find this funny...

About the book titles - I would love to read :smile:

• SunnyyesjamsSunnyyesjams Posts: 541 Member
    GITTE2001 wrote: »
    If your sims doesn't have to got to work on normal work days (pregnancy leave and those things) they can ask how it is at work, and if there's any stuff going on they can work on those problems at work via their pc! Just discovered this 5 minutes ago.

Whattt! And all this time I was getting frustrated because my pregnant sims couldn't advance in their careers! *Face palm*
    kwdT9wX.gif
  • AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member

I know what you're talking about. You probably did an opportunity where the reward was a promotion. When you show up to work, you get the promotion and are excused for the day.
  • TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    I was watching an old Llandros9 video on YouTube last night and he was taking his sim family to the Hidden Spring festival lot. The husband and wife were in a group together (but the children were not, dunno why). To disband the group he just clicked on the blue plumbob icon on the portrait panel. I didn't know that was possible. I always thought I had to do an 'ask to leave group' interaction with another sim in the group. I guess that's in the game and not a mod, but haven't tried it yet myself. That will be useful with the game does weird grouping when my sims attend class at university.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top