Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 is still a success

Hi,

The latest financial results :

EA
Our Sims franchise continues to expand one of the broadest and most demographically diverse player bases in our portfolio. The Sims 4, now two and a half years since launch, saw monthly active players increase 33% year-over-year in Q4. With a total of seven downloadable content packs delivered throughout the year, as well as game updates that offered more choice and fan-requested features, The Sims 4 community is thriving.
Extra content and PC free-to-play contributed $405 million, up 31% over the prior year. The key element remains Ultimate Team, which grew 23% year-on-year, or 29% at constant currency. Expansion Packs for The Sims 4 also made a strong contribution. Our ability to engage players through live services and events continues to drive strong growth and deliver dependable on-going sales.

Comments

• jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    Not surprised, lmao.

They wouldn't invest in a mobile game based on it, if it was flopping.
    They'd make a whole new game.

The Sims 4 brand seems strong enough to create a new game based on it.
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    edited May 2017
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Hi,

EA
    Our Sims franchise continues to expand one of the broadest and most demographically diverse player bases in our portfolio. The Sims 4, now two and a half years since launch, saw monthly active players increase 33% year-over-year in Q4. With a total of seven downloadable content packs delivered throughout the year, as well as game updates that offered more choice and fan-requested features, The Sims 4 community is thriving.
    Extra content and PC free-to-play contributed $405 million, up 31% over the prior year. The key element remains Ultimate Team, which grew 23% year-on-year, or 29% at constant currency. Expansion Packs for The Sims 4 also made a strong contribution. Our ability to engage players through live services and events continues to drive strong growth and deliver dependable on-going sales.

One word. Toddlers.

ETA: Note TS3 was also still a huge success and was raking in 24 mil in store content.

Two words: Quarter 4. As in 'year-over-year in Q4'. The comparison is Q4 2016 vs Q4 2015. This was prior to toddlers.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Good to know :). Sounds like it's doing well. Interesting the credit to live services and events...
    I get what events mean but what do they mean by live services? Is that patches and stuff?
    egTcBMc.png
  • PixelsimmerPixelsimmer Posts: 2,351 Member
    edited May 2017
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    Hi,

EA

One word. Toddlers.

ETA: Note TS3 was also still a huge success and was raking in 24 mil in store content.

Two words: Quarter 4. As in 'year-over-year in Q4'. The comparison is Q4 2016 vs Q4 2015. This was prior to toddlers.

Q4 is January-March 2017. EA's financial year (like many other company's) starts in April so we're now in Q1 2018 (Q2: July-Sept; Q3: October-December)
    Post edited by Pixelsimmer on
  • SkobeeSkobee Posts: 2,864 Member
    If the game is doing so well why not invest in a team that actually fixes the bugs in this game so I can actually play again?
    Origin ID - RosyAngelina
  • FlyingPotato659FlyingPotato659 Posts: 1,473 Member
    edited May 2017
    My question is, if they are a sucess, more sucessful than the sims 3 (profit wise) what was their reason to downsize the development team??

It became a lot smaller from the sims 3 to sims 4.
    edited May 2017
    Finbar659 wrote: »
    My question is, if they are sucess, more sucessful than the sims 3 (profit wise) what was their reason to downsize the development team. It became a lot smaller from the sims 3 to sims 4.

Perhaps they're more profitable precisely because they downsized the team. Profit equals revenues minus costs. And developers are a cost. Less developers=less cost. Assuming the revenues generated by TS4 are more or less similar to those generated by TS3, then they're making the same amount of money while incurring less costs. So it's more profitable.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    Question: What is the "Ultimate Team" ?

It's a gameplay mode in FIFA 17.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    edited May 2017
    My question is, if they are a sucess, more sucessful than the sims 3 (profit wise) what was their reason to downsize the development team??

Did it? I don't think we've been told so. We do know that they stopped having a second dev team in a different place, but I've never seen an indication that there are fewer people overall. They're running engagement and GP teams where formerly there was a Store and second EP team. Could easily be about the same size staff overall, just all in one location and with new people having been hired for Sims 4. (We know now from stuff said on Twitter that some of the Sims 3 people from Utah moved to the new Sims Mobile team. I would imagine some also moved to the Sims 4 team in SF. People move for that sort of opportunity, even if it means giving up Utah housing costs.)
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Donivan2009Donivan2009 Posts: 47 Member
    They made a "smooth recovery" in the sims 4. When the base game was released, it was a major flop. Many players and the sims 4 fans were very disappointed in how watered down it was, myself included. But when the EP's started rolling out, and game updates, they really turned things around. I went back to The Sims 3 up until the GTW EP came out. And the game keeps getting better with each EP.

I've heard a lot of people on the forums say things like "The end of The Sims 4 is coming soon" or "EA is almost finished working on The Sims 4". But I disagree completely. They are and will be for a while, continuing to work on EP"s. Rumor has it that one of the next major EP's will be either Seasons or Pets. I personally am hoping for Seasons.
    Check out my YouTube Channel and follow along with me and my Sims!
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCvopcWs_n2JCVWmTaNh1vUw/featured
    They made a "smooth recovery" in the sims 4. When the base game was released, it was a major flop. Many players and the sims 4 fans were very disappointed in how watered down it was, myself included. But when the EP's started rolling out, and game updates, they really turned things around. I went back to The Sims 3 up until the GTW EP came out. And the game keeps getting better with each EP.

I've heard a lot of people on the forums say things like "The end of The Sims 4 is coming soon" or "EA is almost finished working on The Sims 4". But I disagree completely. They are and will be for a while, continuing to work on EP"s. Rumor has it that one of the next major EP's will be either Seasons or Pets. I personally am hoping for Seasons.

The next EP will be pets (I'd rather have seasons first too). There are way too many hints on the game code for it to be just a coincidence...
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,178 Member
    Question: What is the "Ultimate Team" ?

It's a gameplay mode in FIFA 17.

Okay, thank you for the answer ;)
  • ladybreidladybreid Posts: 3,455 Member
    Hi,

EA

One word. Toddlers.

I can't help but wonder if moving forward they would ever release without tots again.
    wz3Vdbh.jpg
    Saying "not to be rude", then blatently being rude does not excuse rude behavior.
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Expellant! Now we can have hope that TS5 will follow on as 'people have brought TS4 so there will have to be a TS5!' ;)
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member
    Expellant! Now we can have hope that TS5 will follow on as 'people have brought TS4 so there will have to be a TS5!' ;)

Unfortunately, I think we just got a glimpse of TS5 yesterday.
    Bagoas77 wrote: »

To be fair, in TS3 times we got a TS3 game for mobile + Freeplay. And we still got Ts4 for PC (with all its limitations but still).!
  • Gabe_ozGabe_oz Posts: 1,880 Member
    edited May 2017

One of the expansion teams from TS3 was put on TSM but that's about all. Seems like it has stayed that size
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited May 2017
    My question is, if they are sucess, more sucessful than the sims 3 (profit wise) what was their reason to downsize the development team. It became a lot smaller from the sims 3 to sims 4.

Perhaps they're more profitable precisely because they downsized the team. Profit equals revenues minus costs. And developers are a cost. Less developers=less cost. Assuming the revenues generated by TS4 are more or less similar to those generated by TS3, then they're making the same amount of money while incurring less costs. So it's more profitable.

If I'm a landlord and don't hire people to look after maintenance, I can be real profitable if I just try to handle plumbing (plumbers are expensive!) sheet rock/dry wall/carpenters, electricians (who need a license) and just do this stuff myself whenever I get time, I can save a bundle but that doesn't mean my building is the best on the block. After awhile I start being called a slumlord.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,178 Member
    edited May 2017

To be fair, in TS3 times we got a TS3 game for mobile + Freeplay. And we still got Ts4 for PC (with all its limitations but still).!

It was before Maxis and EA Mobile were joined.

Maxis Organizational Update
    As we look to the future, we want to expand the scope of opportunity for Maxis to reach more players on PC and mobile, as well as explore cross-platform play. To enable this, we are bringing Maxis together with our mobile teams under Samantha Ryan's leadership, aligning our strong PC foundation with our mobile expertise. The collaboration between these teams will help us unlock new ways for Maxis IP to connect with players wherever they want to play.
    edited May 2017

If I'm a landlord and don't hire people to look after maintenance, I can be real profitable if I just try to handle plumbing (plumbers are expensive!) sheet rock/dry wall/carpenters, electricians (who need a license) and just do this stuff myself whenever I get time, I can save a bundle but that doesn't mean my building is the best on the block. After awhile I start being called a slumlord.

I agree lol in fact I think this is part of the problem with Ts4. They're being profitable, yes, but no by increasing revenues but by cutting costs (and corners..).

It was before Maxis and EA Mobile were joined.

Maxis Organizational Update
    As we look to the future, we want to expand the scope of opportunity for Maxis to reach more players on PC and mobile, as well as explore cross-platform play. To enable this, we are bringing Maxis together with our mobile teams under Samantha Ryan's leadership, aligning our strong PC foundation with our mobile expertise. The collaboration between these teams will help us unlock new ways for Maxis IP to connect with players wherever they want to play.

I didn't remember that. Yes, it's true that this is the first Sims Mobile that's developed by maxis themselves and not by EA mobile...
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top