March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims Original and Windows Vista

DivieOwlDivieOwl Posts: 1,161 Member
I bought my daughter a new laptop for school work and I now have her old laptop just sitting here taking up space. I was debating what to do with it, but it's really just as old and wore down as you can get (Vista OS and only 2GB RAM). It's slow as plum, but I started wondering, would I be able to play the original Sims on it? I still have all my discs but after spending 3 and a half hours today fighting to get my wifi back on my laptop, and another hour downloading office 365 to all my devices, I'm just not sure I'm ready to undertake something that is going to be a big headache right this moment and if it's not even possible, why even start the process.

Comments

• SimsophoniqueSimsophonique Posts: 1,410 Member
    Doesn't work in my 10 old vista pc and I am furious . I have to say goodbye to this awesome game long time ago.
    Follow and read Miss V Detective (ts3 story)
    on wordpress: thesimsophonique.wp.com / on dreamwidth: simsophonique.dreamwidth.org
    Follow me on tumblr (sims only)
    simsophonique.tumblr.com (please no triggers I am autistic asperger)
  • SoniaSimmerSoniaSimmer Posts: 85 Member
    DivieOwl wrote: »
    I bought my daughter a new laptop for school work and I now have her old laptop just sitting here taking up space. I was debating what to do with it, but it's really just as old and wore down as you can get (Vista OS and only 2GB RAM). It's slow as plum, but I started wondering, would I be able to play the original Sims on it? I still have all my discs but after spending 3 and a half hours today fighting to get my wifi back on my laptop, and another hour downloading office 365 to all my devices, I'm just not sure I'm ready to undertake something that is going to be a big headache right this moment and if it's not even possible, why even start the process.

I'm gonna let you here the steps I followed and that worked for me in Windows 2000, XP, Vista, 8, and 8.1:

1) Install the base game in this rute: C:\Maxis. Once you do this, you'll have the following directory C:\Maxis\The Sims.
    (So don't install it in the default rute: C:\ProgramFiles\Maxis, that's the important thing).

2) Go to that directory, and inside the folder called The Sims you will see an exe file called Sims. You have to send it to your desktop, and go to its properties:
    2a) Then, click on Run this program in compatibility mode for Windows XP (Service Pack 3).
    2b) After that, also in properties click on Run this program as administrator. Click on accept, and that's it.

3) Try the game without installing any expansions to see if it worked. If not, maybe you have to select another option in compatibility mode, though that's the only one that worked for me.

If you can play the Sims, install all expansions in the rute I named, and that would be all. You don't have to do anything else to the exe file, that's required just when you install the base game, and then it stays that way.

Since The Sims 1 is an old game, it shouldn't require a lot of RAM to function. Please if you try these steps let me know the results :)
    resubida_zps0kskeuy1.gif

• DivieOwlDivieOwl Posts: 1,161 Member

I'm gonna let you here the steps I followed and that worked for me in Windows 2000, XP, Vista, 8, and 8.1:

1) Install the base game in this rute: C:\Maxis. Once you do this, you'll have the following directory C:\Maxis\The Sims.
    (So don't install it in the default rute: C:\ProgramFiles\Maxis, that's the important thing).

2) Go to that directory, and inside the folder called The Sims you will see an exe file called Sims. You have to send it to your desktop, and go to its properties:
    2a) Then, click on Run this program in compatibility mode for Windows XP (Service Pack 3).
    2b) After that, also in properties click on Run this program as administrator. Click on accept, and that's it.

3) Try the game without installing any expansions to see if it worked. If not, maybe you have to select another option in compatibility mode, though that's the only one that worked for me.

If you can play the Sims, install all expansions in the rute I named, and that would be all. You don't have to do anything else to the exe file, that's required just when you install the base game, and then it stays that way.

Since The Sims 1 is an old game, it shouldn't require a lot of RAM to function. Please if you try these steps let me know the results :)

Hi! Thanks for posting those steps! I'll try this evening! Just a quick question, once I install new expansions, provided this works and I can install expansions next, would replace the Sims icon on the desktop with the newest EP exe or do you just keep clicking the base game desktop icon to play? Oh, gosh! I'm excited to try it!
    Hi! Thanks for posting those steps! I'll try this evening! Just a quick question, once I install new expansions, provided this works and I can install expansions next, would replace the Sims icon on the desktop with the newest EP exe or do you just keep clicking the base game desktop icon to play? Oh, gosh! I'm excited to try it!

First of all, I recommend you to install just the base game and try it. That way you will know if your laptop can run the Sims 1. If it works, then install only the first expansion you have (I don't know if you have all of them or a few).

-It may happen that the laptop doesn't run properly the Sims if you install all of the expansions.
    -OR maybe it will run the game perfectly (that depends on the laptop) just letting you know.

Regarding your question: fortunately, the .exe icon will always be the one from the base game, so you don't have to create another one for every expansion (which is a relief, since the installation of these expansions is tedious enough) :D

Good luck! :#
    resubida_zps0kskeuy1.gif

• WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
    Windows Vista can run the game unless you have Service Pack 2 with KB3086255 which blocks The Sims due to The Sims using SafeDisc.
    Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer
    edited May 2017

aah thanks a ton ! I will try this @SoniaSimmer . I am in the same case of @DivieOwl . So I have to install it at the root C:/ drive.
    I have 4 GB of ram in a 32 bit computer it runs ts3 it can run ts0. By the way i have the sims triple deluxe edition I have in the base game + the first ep called in French "cà vous change la vie". I don't have the base game only. Will this work?
    on wordpress: thesimsophonique.wp.com / on dreamwidth: simsophonique.dreamwidth.org
    @Simsophonique Yes, that's the right rute :)
    Of course! If your laptop is able to run this game, it doesn't matter what version you have. For example, I own the Double Deluxe pack which includes: The Sims, The Sims Livin' Large, and The Sims House Party.

You just have to follow the order of installation, as per usual. In my case, the base game is divided into 2 CDs called "deluxe", and the computer installation wizard tells you when you have to insert CD1 and CD2. So as long as you follow the order of installation, you'll be good :#
    resubida_zps0kskeuy1.gif

@Simsophonique Yes, that's the right rute :)
    Of course! If your laptop is able to run this game, it doesn't matter what version you have. For example, I own the Double Deluxe pack which includes: The Sims, The Sims Livin' Large, and The Sims House Party.

You just have to follow the order of installation, as per usual. In my case, the base game is divided into 2 CDs called "deluxe", and the computer installation wizard tells you when you have to insert CD1 and CD2. So as long as you follow the order of installation, you'll be good :#

Thank you for all the explanation @SoniaSimmer . It's been years I didn't touch this game because of vista incompatibility. I don't have a laptop but a desktop computer. I can't wait to try out. I miss that game.
  • DivieOwlDivieOwl Posts: 1,161 Member
    I couldn't get it to work on my daughters old vista laptop. I don't know, I'm thinking it's the DVD drive on the laptop, I couldn't even get it to recognize a disk in there. The laptop is so slow, I didn't even bother with testing that.

Is there any chance of getting Sims working on windows 10? I did get Sims 2 on my windows 10 to work (the UC from origin) without the secur-rom stuff. I don't recall all the steps I had to take, but If Sims has anything like that, I'd like to put a stop to it, too.
    Thank you for all the explanation @SoniaSimmer . It's been years I didn't touch this game because of vista incompatibility. I don't have a laptop but a desktop computer. I can't wait to try out. I miss that game.

I've always played on a laptop too, so I hope it works for you :#
    I couldn't get it to work on my daughters old vista laptop. I don't know, I'm thinking it's the DVD drive on the laptop, I couldn't even get it to recognize a disk in there. The laptop is so slow, I didn't even bother with testing that.

Is there any chance of getting Sims working on windows 10? I did get Sims 2 on my windows 10 to work (the UC from origin) without the secur-rom stuff. I don't recall all the steps I had to take, but If Sims has anything like that, I'd like to put a stop to it, too.

So sorry to hear that. Does that laptop recognize any other dvds? Otherwise you'd need to get it repaired.
    I recall having installed the Sims on Windows 10 and that it worked (though I hated that I couldn't play full screen) but I went back to Windows 8.1 later on and now I'm not sure. If anyone has tested it on Windows 10 they can help you with that :)

Anyway, I have ALWAYS followed the same steps I mentioned before in all Windows versions and it worked. So if your laptop running Windows Vista won't recognize cds and you feel like installing The Sims on your laptop with Windows 10, go ahead.
    resubida_zps0kskeuy1.gif

edited May 2017
    @SoniaSimmer Unfortunately, The Sims doesn't work on Windows 10 due to Windows 10 not supporting SafeDisc so you'll get an error message, this also applies to any game using SafeDisc such as Age of Empires II, SimCity 4, and Syberia. The only way to run The Sims is have a PC with Windows Vista, 7, or 8.1 but remember to remove the KB3086255 update or re-enable the SafeDisc driver through Command Prompt to prevent your game from being blocked. Alternatively, you can use a PC with Windows XP to play the game and not worry about the game being blocked by Windows.

Sadly The Sims doesn't have a download version so you're stuck with the disc version.
    It's important to note that only the CD-ROM version of SimCity 4 is blocked in Windows 10/KB3086255. Download versions of SimCity 4 from Origin, GOG.com, and Steam do not include SafeDisc and thus isn't affected by the block.
    @SoniaSimmer Unfortunately, The Sims doesn't work on Windows 10 due to Windows 10 not supporting SafeDisc so you'll get an error message, this also applies to any game using SafeDisc such as Age of Empires II, SimCity 4, and Syberia. The only way to run The Sims is have a PC with Windows Vista, 7, or 8.1 but remember to remove the KB3086255 update or re-enable the SafeDisc driver through Command Prompt to prevent your game from being blocked. Alternatively, you can use a PC with Windows XP to play the game and not worry about the game being blocked by Windows.

Sadly The Sims doesn't have a download version so you're stuck with the disc version.
    It's important to note that only the CD-ROM version of SimCity 4 is blocked in Windows 10/KB3086255. Download versions of SimCity 4 from Origin, GOG.com, and Steam do not include SafeDisc and thus isn't affected by the block.

But I did play The Sims 1 on Windows 10 last year (only that there were two black bars and couldn't make it work full screen). Do you mean there was an update later on (I uninstalled Windows 10 and went back to W8.1 by September or so) that has made Windows 10 incompatible with The Sims?
    resubida_zps0kskeuy1.gif

But I did play The Sims 1 on Windows 10 last year (only that there were two black bars and couldn't make it work full screen). Do you mean there was an update later on (I uninstalled Windows 10 and went back to W8.1 by September or so) that has made Windows 10 incompatible with The Sims?

Normally Windows 10 (or Windows Vista-8.1 with KB3086255) will not allow The Sims to run due to SafeDisc unless you get a Sims.exe file that ignores disc checks (the original Sims.exe checks for the CD) or get a download version which is not possible as The Sims hasn't been re-released digitally. However, there are some graphical glitches such as the window being black when started in Windowed mode if one hacks The Sims to run on Windows 10, I haven't noticed this in older Windows versions such as Windows 7.

Normally Windows 10 (or Windows Vista-8.1 with KB3086255) will not allow The Sims to run due to SafeDisc unless you get a Sims.exe file that ignores disc checks (the original Sims.exe checks for the CD) or get a download version which is not possible as The Sims hasn't been re-released digitally. However, there are some graphical glitches such as the window being black when started in Windowed mode if one hacks The Sims to run on Windows 10, I haven't noticed this in older Windows versions such as Windows 7.

I guess it depends on the computer. I run it on a laptop and my Sims are the CD version. I didn't do anything special to make it run.
    resubida_zps0kskeuy1.gif

edited May 2017

aww great that's an other trick I will do , if windows vista allows me to delete any update , now it doesn't support anymore.