Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

is this happening to yall?

Comments

• Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Cut back on their Free Will if you don't want them to do what THEY want to do. By giving them free Will you give them permission to do what they want over what you want for them to do. Unfortunately turning off free will they just stand there like robots and do nothing.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• celeste821celeste821 Posts: 543 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Cut back on their Free Will if you don't want them to do what THEY want to do. By giving them free Will you give them permission to do what they want over what you want for them to do. Unfortunately turning off free will they just stand there like robots and do nothing.

even with free will on they still stand there like robots, especially when they come home from work or school
  • SparklePlumleySparklePlumley Posts: 1,061 Member
    Yes 100%!
    Every issue @Cinebar has said is happening in my game too. It's been going on for at least a couple of months. I would try to list everything again but Cinebar has already said it all, so I won't even try to list it. ;)
  • glorificaglorifica Posts: 258 Member
    edited April 2017
    this is gamebreaking. these sims are dumber than bread. at least bread stays where you put it.

and turning off free will - this has nothing to do with free will, it's hidden, uncancellable actions we're talking about, not stupid free will actions. if your answer is "turn off free will" you're obviously not getting this bug. count yourself lucky and off you go. 🐸🐸🐸🐸, free will.
    simming on through.
  • ShadyLady89ShadyLady89 Posts: 908 Member
    sunman502 wrote: »
    Never happened in my game before. Then again I keep autonomy off in my game. Perhaps if you turn off autonomy through game play option might help to clear this up.

I keep autonomy off and I still have this problem.
    Origin: ShadyLady1989 | please feel free to add/friend me!
    Sims 4 Blog
    Don't feed trolls. Do feed cowplants.
  • Emma_Smith101Emma_Smith101 Posts: 453 Member
    I've had it since the toddler patch but I don't know about anyone else.
    I share my builds and Sims' stories sometimes at: https://simplicityplaysss.tumblr.com/
  • feetinstockingsfeetinstockings Posts: 4,264 Member
    johnjet wrote: »
    I have a game purely for the purpose of testing house builds and other structures that I create and when I use the Sim to try and test out various aspects of the build, he actively refuses to do what I want him to do. eg. I want him to sit in a bunch of chairs, to see if there are issues with routing, but he will stand there with the sitting action being cancelled before going off and looking at a panting or something else. AND then when I try and cancel that action to make him go to the chair, the chair command gets cancelled. ArRRRGGGGHHHHH.

The most annoying one is when the Sims refuses to go through a door, giving me the hand waving action to say access is blocked, when the room and the hallway outside of said room, contains no furniture and/or objects, so there is nothing preventing his entry into the room.

This made me laugh, its as though he knows you're using him as a test subject.
    I don't mind it too much, except of when there is a fire and the adult picks the toddler up and I think great, there going to take the toddler out of the house. but no he takes her into the room where the fire is, as though to say, look dear this is a fire and daddy is going to put it out, he then puts her on the floor in the same room as the fire, and puts the fire out. when there is a fire no actions register with them, they do exactly what they want. and when trying to get a self portrait painting with a sims sitting in chairs is impossible, unless I turn autonomy off. because someone will get up and go do something else. These things I find annoying.

• snurflessnurfles Posts: 3,640 Member
    celeste821 wrote: »
    Or you cancel and they still do it anyway

^this!^
  • sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    Never happened in my game before. Then again I keep autonomy off in my game. Perhaps if you turn off autonomy through game play option might help to clear this up.

Sorry to hear that it didn't work.
    Have you posted this on the EA help site yet?
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    O.K. last year I stopped playing TS4 at all because Sims would go wave at some Sim though I told them to eat or wash dishes etc. That's back with steroids. Drudge, I'm through til they fix this again. And the 'wave' won't be in queue either, they just keep going (just like last May) so you have no idea where they are going or why. But they were supposed to eat or wash dishes or go to the pc...etc.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    edited April 2017
    Cinebar wrote: »
    O.K. last year I stopped playing TS4 at all because Sims would go wave at some Sim though I told them to eat or wash dishes etc. That's back with steroids. Drudge, I'm through til they fix this again. And the 'wave' won't be in queue either, they just keep going (just like last May) so you have no idea where they are going or why. But they were supposed to eat or wash dishes or go to the pc...etc.
    It sounds like to me that the autonomy isn't working like it should. I say because I had a similar issue with first Sims game on the Xbox. The sims would go do something other than what I told them to do. And is why I nearly gave up on playing any more Sims games. It sounds to me like the autonomy is stuck on full, which would cause the sims to act like this. We are suppose to be controlling the characters, not set them loose in a digital world. It looks as if the game is trying to play it's self. I think that Maxis better take a closer look at the AI in this game. Which is where the autonomy is likely found in this game. It seems to me that something has gone completely wrong in there somewhere.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I'm so glad this thread was made. I loaded up my game for the first time in a long time to find this happening. I'm glad I'm not alone with these issues but it's really, really offputting.
    I'm so glad this thread was made. I loaded up my game for the first time in a long time to find this happening. I'm glad I'm not alone with these issues but it's really, really offputting.
    It certainly is. I nearly gave up on playing The Sims back when I first had this problem with the first Sims game because of this issue. It is so disappointing to know that they still haven't found a way around this after 17 years.
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,472 Member
    I've never had this problem (my sims are so obedient) except for that one toilet bug where when you queued the toilet task, they will just stop whatever they're doing and go to the toilet.
    My Top Song of the Day: Fancy Footwork by Chromeo
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • foussifoussi Posts: 642 Member
    Yeah that interaction thing is annoying
    My sim needed to go to work and forsome reason he went to the bathroom to take a shower. I tried to cancel but he still took a shower and came late to work.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Kilov17 wrote: »
    My sims will do things that is not showing on the left. like there is nothing for me to click to cancel their action, I have to wait for them to do what they are doing before they do the thing that I have queued for them

Sims are being spontaneous. People now and then complain that sims don't do anything interesting/ funny. My sims do this too, but it I think is just something to keep simmers on their toes perhaps lol. Besides we have complete control 99.9% of the time anyhow, why not some out of the blue random action... As long as it doesn't become too frequent, as I am only playing with 1-2 sims right now cause I don't want a bunch of sims to be concerned about the needs & goals of.
    I agree it's a good thing they sometimes do spontaneous, interesting/funny stuff, but in my Sims 4 game it's never interesting or funny. It always mainly comes down to talking. Also I feel that even when they do it, I should always be able to cancel it. I'm the player, at the end of the day the game has to follow my instructions (unless it's a triggered action, like bawling out/slapping a cheater).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Kilov17 wrote: »
    My sims will do things that is not showing on the left. like there is nothing for me to click to cancel their action, I have to wait for them to do what they are doing before they do the thing that I have queued for them

Sims are being spontaneous. People now and then complain that sims don't do anything interesting/ funny. My sims do this too, but it I think is just something to keep simmers on their toes perhaps lol. Besides we have complete control 99.9% of the time anyhow, why not some out of the blue random action... As long as it doesn't become too frequent, as I am only playing with 1-2 sims right now cause I don't want a bunch of sims to be concerned about the needs & goals of.
    I agree it's a good thing they sometimes do spontaneous, interesting/funny stuff, but in my Sims 4 game it's never interesting or funny. It always mainly comes down to talking. Also I feel that even when they do it, I should always be able to cancel it. I'm the player, at the end of the day the game has to follow my instructions (unless it's a triggered action, like bawling out/slapping a cheater).

Exactly.

I've never noticed my sims in 1-3 doing this, if they go off to to do something and I cancel it they stop dead. Try that in the sims 4 and chances are they will still take out the leftovers from the fridge even though there is a plate of hot food just out the oven.
    Cinebar descurbed the issues incredibly well and hits the nail on the head.
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    I am seeing this as well and it is pretty annoying. I am thinking about turning on the no autonomy for selected Sims again.
    edited May 2017
    DeKay wrote: »
    I've never had this problem (my sims are so obedient) except for that one toilet bug where when you queued the toilet task, they will just stop whatever they're doing and go to the toilet.

Put more in one household and you might see a difference. I don't know how many you play but for test purposes throw eight together and have stuff upstairs and downstairs, it will drive you crazy. lol
    edited May 2017
    keekee53 wrote: »
    I am seeing this as well and it is pretty annoying. I am thinking about turning on the no autonomy for selected Sims again.

That won't work. The other day I turned it off for everyone. I was going to film Barnabas speaking to Julia (it was going to be about how Elizabeth was in bed from fainting, for my story) Just as I turned on the camera in popped Elizabeth right into the conversation. She was supposed to stay seated in the study across the hallway and lo and behold she joined the conversation. :s
  • Oh_MereOh_Mere Posts: 49 Member

This is the thing that is driving me completely up the wall. I cancel an action and it takes forever to actually cancel so half the time my sims just end up doing the whole action anyway.

And it's more annoying with certain social interactions because my sims always feel the need to walk really far away from where they were originally standing for them. Whenever my sims hug in one house they have to go all the way outside and around to the side of the house. If I cancel the hug, they will still both walk to the side of the house, but then not hug. It's infuriating especially because that house is big and it takes up so much time. All the weird rerouting for social interactions is obnoxious by itself but not being able to cancel things makes it even worse.
    Oh_Mere wrote: »

This is the thing that is driving me completely up the wall. I cancel an action and it takes forever to actually cancel so half the time my sims just end up doing the whole action anyway.

And it's more annoying with certain social interactions because my sims always feel the need to walk really far away from where they were originally standing for them. Whenever my sims hug in one house they have to go all the way outside and around to the side of the house. If I cancel the hug, they will still both walk to the side of the house, but then not hug. It's infuriating especially because that house is big and it takes up so much time. All the weird rerouting for social interactions is obnoxious by itself but not being able to cancel things makes it even worse.

Yeah, that's new bug, too, having to walk somewhere else to do an interaction. This is also happening in my game lately like going all the way around the house and I'm wondering where the heck are you going...when the other Sim is still on the inside the other is going around the house.
  • ShadyLady89ShadyLady89 Posts: 908 Member

I have not, but thanks for the reminder. I'm sure someone else has all ready, but always good to check.
    Origin: ShadyLady1989 | please feel free to add/friend me!
    Sims 4 Blog
    Don't feed trolls. Do feed cowplants.

I have not, but thanks for the reminder. I'm sure someone else has all ready, but always good to check.
    You're Welcome. :)
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    keekee53 wrote: »

That won't work. The other day I turned it off for everyone. I was going to film Barnabas speaking to Julia (it was going to be about how Elizabeth was in bed from fainting, for my story) Just as I turned on the camera in popped Elizabeth right into the conversation. She was supposed to stay seated in the study across the hallway and lo and behold she joined the conversation. :s

wow...well that is just terrible.