Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Keep losing 30k simoleons

I've never had this problem before but it started happening about 2 days ago. My sims family will lose about 30k simoleons maybe once a sim day and I have no idea what for. I heard that it might be for paintings (the Butler may paint I guess) so I got rid of the easels but it still happens. I've been monitoring every sim closely and I cant see what is causing this. The only mods I have are nraas mods (SP, mastercontroller, error trap, etc) If anyone has any clue, this would help me a lot.

Comments

• CravenLestatCravenLestat Posts: 13,735 Member
    edited April 2017
    Paintings appreciate in value and sculptures you make eventually they can get so high you cant afford your bills.Is this your issue.Maybe your house has Masterpiece paintings and really good sculptures a sim made.Some players who paint often and collect them or make sculptures get the "No Bills" LTR or the game would be impossible.
    I Play Sims 3 On A Potato

DfydFiZ.gif
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited April 2017
    You can get a brief Accounting Report on each household as you are using NRaas SP. I believe these reports make more sense if you have the SP Money add-on module, but worth taking a look to see if it reveals more clues. Also, are you using its Automated Active Billing feature? If not and your sims are still writing checks at the mailbox twice a week, then this wouldn't be due to property taxes/bills as those wouldn't be everyday expenses. If billing is automated, then yes their lot and the possessions they have on it could be very highly over-valued and generating obscene tax bills.

If another sim in town has purchased the lot out from under your sims, then they no longer own it and are paying rent to the real owner instead. But this is a highly obscene amount of rent and again is only a function of the SP Money add-on module.

On the residential lot or a sim who lives there,
    NRass > SP > Household Options > Accounting

If the household has been in existence for a long time and the Accounting Report has too much older data on it, you can clear it this way and then play for a sim day or two and see what the new one says.
    NRaas > SP > Household Options > Clear Accounting

And for a spotcheck on what it should cost them to live where they are, with MasterController on the lot or a sim who lives there
    NRaas > MC > Household > Status
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    You should check settings to see if inactives are allowed to purchase properties on their own and if the lot your family is living on is a rentable lot and if so you'll need to get them moved into one that isn't allowed to be rentable and make sure your family's not allowed to have their new home bought out from inder them again.It's under gemeral options,lot options,household options and sim options that you need to check those things.I also won't allow the Mod to manage inventories or their money as well as to push them to buy any properties on their own.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
    I don't think sims can rent the lot you're currently playing. It's likely just the paintings, sculptures, and collectibles.
    It's an NRaas Story Progression Money module thing. If not disallowed, a wealthier sim can buy out a residential property from those living there and become their landlord. The sims can continue to live there, they get the cash for the sale of the property, but now have to pay rent instead of property tax bills. Many of us find this to be great for inactives around town, but don't really like it so much when it happens to our actively being played household, especially when it comes by surprise.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • IfreshyehIfreshyeh Posts: 1,403 Member
    Thank you @igazor
    Through the accounting option, I saw that these 30k fees fell into "School Fees" which I'm guessing is part of the education/career mod I got from nraas but now I'm not sure why the fees are so much. I have 2 teens, one in the music school and the other in the science school. Does anyone know if it's supposed to be this expensive and charge you this often?
  • jordandjordand Posts: 262 Member
    @Ifreshyeh, what mod do you use? I'm very intrigued by the idea of specialized schools, like the music and science ones you mentioned.
  • TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    Ifreshyeh wrote: »
    Thank you @igazor
    Through the accounting option, I saw that these 30k fees fell into "School Fees" which I'm guessing is part of the education/career mod I got from nraas but now I'm not sure why the fees are so much. I have 2 teens, one in the music school and the other in the science school. Does anyone know if it's supposed to be this expensive and charge you this often?

I use the NRaas Careers mod and its School module too. I always enroll my teen sims in the private schools and have never been charged a fee. I think the fee setting is in NRaas StoryProgression (and requires the StoryProgression Careers module); the default is 0 simoleons. 30k about once a day for private schools doesn't sound right at all. I'm interested to see what igazor says. You can also use SP to set the specialized school rabbit holes to be public schools. There isn't a fee option for public schools (obviously).

The fee setting (going by memory and the SP interactions page):

NRaas>StoryProgression>General Options>Options: Careers>Options: Schools>Private School Fee

@jordand , That's the NRaas Careers mod with its Schools module.
    edited April 2017
    Aha, accounting mystery solved. Well, partially. At least we can rule out inflated values of paintings and sculptures, rent, etc. Of course no one is supposed to be charged quite that much for private schools by default. But I've had half my town practically go bankrupt even when attempting to charge more reasonable fees and spent quite a bit of time in the past refunding inactives' money all over the place once I finally noticed what was happening. As a result of not wanting to go through all of that again, I now make the private specialty schools free for all who choose to attend and who continue to perform well enough in their schoolwork there, though I have them keep the designation of still being "private schools." Let's just say they are supported by our sims' tax dollars as per Town Council Ordinance Number blah blah as an intended investment in my towns' future. :)

Using the option @TreyNutz mentions, check
    NRaas > SP > General Options > Options:Careers > Options:Schools > Private School Fee > 0 (or some very small amount since it keeps getting deducted per student daily)

Also check
    NRaas > SP > General Options > Options:Careers > Options:Schools > School Fee:By School > 0 (this is supposed to allow for additional fees for particular private schools intended to be more exclusive than others; if the Private School Fee above is 0 then this option won't show)
    (SP Career add-on module required)

If you don't have the SP Career add-on module then you won't have the ability to see or change these, but clearly something is misfiring with the fees here somehow.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Faerie197Faerie197 Posts: 1,077 Member
    jordand wrote: »
    @Ifreshyeh, what mod do you use? I'm very intrigued by the idea of specialized schools, like the music and science ones you mentioned.

Those aren't a mod. They're from Ambitions or Generations, one of the two. Pretty sure it's Ambitions though. They're special "rabbit hole" schools where the kid goes off, and doesn't return until they graduate as a young adult (I think, haven't had a kid return yet). By sending the kid to one of these schools they WILL get specific traits, such as Artistic (and snob).
    Fear not the fae, for they are harmless. Anger not the fae, beware their wraith. Harm not the fae, fear the Faerie Knight.
    Faerie197 wrote: »
    jordand wrote: »

Those aren't a mod. They're from Ambitions or Generations, one of the two. Pretty sure it's Ambitions though. They're special "rabbit hole" schools where the kid goes off, and doesn't return until they graduate as a young adult (I think, haven't had a kid return yet). By sending the kid to one of these schools they WILL get specific traits, such as Artistic (and snob).

You are talking about something different. The specialized schools the OP is referring to are indeed from a mod. I linked to the mods above. With the NRaas Careers mod + Schools module you can enroll teens into "private" schools at the science building, theater, restaurant, business and military rabbit holes. They function much like the EA school rabbit hole. Teens live at home, have homework to do, can attend after school activities, attend prom. The hours are shorter (10 am to 2 pm) and each school has work tones focusing on appropriate skills. The mod also provides 2 private schools for children as well as the option of home schooling children and teens.

What you are describing are boarding schools. Those came with Generations. You can enroll children and teens and they leave the map. They don't live at home and don't attend school at a rabbit hale. You don't manage them at all until you decide to bring them home. That's the whole point of boarding schools. The kids go away and you don't have to play them. IIRC there are 3 options and depending on how long the child is enrolled I think they can get certain traits and skills. I don't use boarding schools anymore. I've read too many posts from people who have had problem with them. Plus, I like playing the kids.

The nice thing about using the Careers mod to enroll my teens into rabbit hole "private" schools is that this reduces crowding at the school rabbit hole a little bit, and the hours are different enough that it helps when playing large families, which I tend to do a lot.
    edited April 2017
    I've extended the hours a bit on the Careers mod specialty schools in my own game because 10 to 2 always seemed like too short a school day to me, but then again at the time I had trouble getting the After School clubs to work with those. I really like the skills that those schools help to build once our sims get past the drudgery of doing regular homework. Never really cared for those Generations EP Boarding schools either, if my sims have kids then I want to play them. Not send them away and get back some older sims I barely recognize with different traits.

@Faerie197 - It is perfectly okay to not be very familiar with NRaas mods. But the player did say she was using our modded schools and hence the trouble with tuition being too high and the assistance we are trying to provide here. You might want to check out more of what these mods can do, besides erroneously overcharging parents I mean, even if you aren't going to be using them in your own game. Many of them are very interesting. Not that I'm biased or anything. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Faerie197Faerie197 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Huh, why use the exact same names as Generation's boarding schools then?
    Fear not the fae, for they are harmless. Anger not the fae, beware their wraith. Harm not the fae, fear the Faerie Knight.
    edited April 2017
    Faerie197 wrote: »
    Huh, why use the exact same names as Generation's boarding schools then?

They don't. I also don't think the boarding schools are associated with any specific rabbit hole. The Generations boarding school names are listed here: http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Boarding_school#List_of_Boarding_Schools

I don't remember if the NRaas Careers mod private schools have names more specific than what's listed on the Schools module page; I don't think so:
    http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Careers+School+Phase+Nine

The only similarities are that both have an art school and a military school option.
    edited April 2017
    The Careers Mod schools take on the names of the lots on which they are located. So if you have a community theater in town called Schmedley's Community Theater, then you get a specialty school called "Arts School - Schmedley's Community Theater." But those would be different in every world and every player's game. The Generations arts boarding school is always called LeFromage Arts School.

They are both called arts schools generically because arts and music are what they specialize in teaching there.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • KevinL5275KevinL5275 Posts: 2,489 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    I really like the skills that those schools help to build once our sims get past the drudgery of doing regular homework. Never really cared for those Generations EP Boarding schools either, if my sims have kids then I want to play them. Not send them away and get back some older sims I barely recognize with different traits.

I completely agree with you. I don't understand sending your sim kids to boarding school at all. Why have them if you're not going to play them?

Now, real life kids, heck yes, send them away!! :D:D:D

I'm a 48 year old married man, with a beautiful wife, a cat, and a simverted personality.My Sims 3 Pictures
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    I was only finally able to complete the Surrounded by Family LTR for one of my sims by sending the teens to boarding school. I don't enjoy playing large families. But since those days when most of the children in a large family went to boarding school, I've become better at managing larger families. I even had one family with 13 children, none of which went to boarding school. But when there are so many children, I can't spend enough time with each of them as they're growing up to become attached to them, so it doesn't really work out any better in that sense. Mostly I keep them busy with things they will stay at until they finish something or I stop them, while I'm busy with another family member. I still don't like large families. One or two children in a family is the norm for me.

I've always played on low free will, so there was no leaving them alone and letting them choose their own activities. Recently I've started playing on high free will, and selectively turning it on and off for individual family members with NRaas Master Controller, and that does work better. But large families are even worse on high free will, because chaos is stressful for me, and large numbers of sims on high free will definitely makes things chaotic.