Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Toddlers:Anyone NOT like that age? Or think toddlers are overwhelming?

BrownGamerGurl1BrownGamerGurl1 Posts: 1,136 Member
edited April 2017 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
I find myself feeling overwhelmed by the toddlers. And now, I lean more towards liking the older kids , a lot better.They are just as cute and look more different from each other. Toddlers tend to have the same face a lot. I like the child age better because they aren't as clingy and they can bathe themselves and use the toilet. Toddlers are done well, don't get me wrong. But just not so fun to play, imo.

I have tried having a toddler, but i feel myself wanting to age them up with a few short days.

Comments

• Options
    edwie22edwie22 Posts: 100 Member
    The novelty of having toddlers made gameplay interesting during the first couple of months because most people test them to see how far they go in the game. But you are right, other than having the same screams over and over, very limited hair and clothing choices, and being able to sleep ONLY in the toddler bed (they should be able to squish in with parents, etc.) wears off quicky. I keep about 5 toddlers now, aged up the rest of them.

Honestly the children and senior stage are the ones I play the less. I like some of my children, but there is not much I can do with them creatively. My teens are a whole other story. I really like how they stay friends with their childhood peers (usually in real life its the opposite). I have three teens who are the same age, neighbors and have been inseparable since toddlers. And I like that because they keep calling each other all the time to hang out and talk about girls, or just to be mean with each other.

I think more interactions for toddlers are needed.
  • Options
    LoriTSpLoriTSp Posts: 451 Member
    I'm not a huge fan of the toddler stage, if I have children, I age the toddlers up as soon as I can. My gameplay leans more towards Vampires, so having kids isn't a priority for me.
  • Options
    ratsrbestratsrbest Posts: 579 Member
    There's a current thread discussing the rate at which the time flies in The Sims.

I think toddlers are the perfect example of why the player would benefit from slower Sims time. I played them once and it was just hard to fit in all the things I wanted to do with and for them.

They can be left to their own devices easily enough but I'd like to have been able to take a more leisurely approach with them.

Practically all their interactions with their mother took place in a corner of the kitchen or besides the potty because those were the only places I could catch them both together.

Often, I'd get the toddler in the right frame of mind for lessons only to find the parent was suddenly dying for a pee. By the time I'd sorted that out the toddler would be hungry or whatever.

I know it's down to careful Sim management, but only to a point. I'd like to get a bit more out of my game than a sense of achievement because I synchronised their bladders.
    Don't feed the trolls
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    LoriTSp wrote: »
    I'm not a huge fan of the toddler stage, if I have children, I age the toddlers up as soon as I can. My gameplay leans more towards Vampires, so having kids isn't a priority for me.

Agree. They feel like a lot of work. Im back down to not having any toddlers at all , lol.
  • Options
    LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    Well, the good thing is that The Sims 4 allows you to simply age up a Sim whenever you want. So if you don't want a toddler, you can do that instead.
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I never played toddlers much in the past games.. I enjoyed playing with these little tykes more than the others but have fallen back into playing with young adults to adults mostly. I'm sure I'll revisit them now and then for a change or for story purposes.. they are pretty darn cute.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    I don't really get any more overwhelmed by toddlers than I do managing other sims. I just have problems with routine in general. But then, I have the mind of a tester and game dev, along with the mind of a power gamer, so managing the tykes doesn't feel that daunting to me as a system of management in itself. Those who want to play games in more of a laissez faire manner may find toddlers to be a bit much.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Options
    LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    I've managed to play through about 3 different toddler (two of them were twins). The first one, I had completely turned off aging, just so I would have the time to have her complete all the toddler skills. Granted they are a lot of work, but I don't ever want to loose them. I always hated seeing a baby one moment, and then the next a full sized child come leaping out of the bassinet.
  • Options
    B_E2009B_E2009 Posts: 131 Member
    Toddlers are hard work. They are my least favourite life stage because from the moment they age up from babies it's all chaos, the house is a mess and I have no time to fulfil the careers and aspirations of their parents. I also make my families much smaller because of this (two kids is preferable, hopefully twins so I don't have to go through it again). But on the other hand, that's just like real life, and I'm beyond happy that they were brought back to the Sims 4.
  • Options
    B_E2009 wrote: »
    Toddlers are hard work. They are my least favourite life stage because from the moment they age up from babies it's all chaos, the house is a mess and I have no time to fulfil the careers and aspirations of their parents. I also make my families much smaller because of this (two kids is preferable, hopefully twins so I don't have to go through it again). But on the other hand, that's just like real life, and I'm beyond happy that they were brought back to the Sims 4.

They are hard. And for me, not very fun, because you have to manage their needs and then the adults and then make sure they do other things. And the needs drop fast and replenish slower. It's too much.Also, at this stage not many activities or fun things to do with them.

• Options
    Sc3niXSc3niX Posts: 2,468 Member
    To be honest its what made the game for me. Since toddler release I've played 700 hours of Sims 4, in total I have 800 hours. So it just shows you what made the game for me. I also bought all the stuff packs and EPS and GPS since their release. I think without them I still would have played Sims 3.
  • Options
    vivica86vivica86 Posts: 231 Member
    I agree with those who have said toddlers are hard work. They really are! I find keeping their needs up takes so much of my adults sims time and still the toddler is always hungry and being threatened to be taken away. Not so much fun.
    Let me take you down, cos I'm going to Strawberry Fields... <3
  • Options
    LolaLuvsSimsLolaLuvsSims Posts: 1,828 Member
    I can't relate to this at all. My first toddlers were triplets and they all grew up with maxed skills. There parents worked and made it to the tops of their careers while the boys were still young
  • Options
    GruffmanGruffman Posts: 4,831 Member
    My only complaint with the toddlers deals with age.

They should have added an additional 7 days ( and its equivalent ) to the ages of the other stage. I play on normal. Before, when it was just baby, child, teen I often had grandparents see their grandchildren grow at least into the teen years, sometimes into adulthood. Now, with baby, toddler, child and teen it seems that the parents themselves are elders and/or dead from old age when their offspring is a teen or right into the YA stage. For mom, it isn't as bad since aging stops for the days she is pregnant, for dad he is dead and gone.
  • Options
    kaylaholidaykaylaholiday Posts: 224 Member
    I have no problem with one toddlers, but my game tends to spawn twins and triplets every 4 births or so, and I struggle big time with more than one. It's funny, because I did the 7 toddler challenge and it went really well, considering. But in my normal games, I try to actually build skills and relationships between the toddlers and other family members, and that becomes really difficult when there's more than one.

I'm still really glad we got toddlers and don't mind the challenge- I think it would help if we got more interactions and things for them to do in the future.
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    I don't feel the need to max out toddler skills, I only teach them when my sims have extra time and nothing more important to do. I also feel they can pretty well look after themselves once you leave out some food out. I think for those reasons I find them rather easy to manage. I also like that I have the option to pay more attention to them and provide extra care if I want.
  • Options
    AndiratymeAndiratyme Posts: 728 Member
    Toddlers are hard work, but so are real life toddlers. I love the details they added and I wouldn't want to play without them. That's the nice thing about cheats and being able to control when they age up. Everyone can make their own decision about when it works for them. I never play with aging on so I just take the extra time to get their skills up before they become children.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    ratsrbest wrote: »
    There's a current thread discussing the rate at which the time flies in The Sims.

I think toddlers are the perfect example of why the player would benefit from slower Sims time. I played them once and it was just hard to fit in all the things I wanted to do with and for them.

They can be left to their own devices easily enough but I'd like to have been able to take a more leisurely approach with them.

Practically all their interactions with their mother took place in a corner of the kitchen or besides the potty because those were the only places I could catch them both together.

Often, I'd get the toddler in the right frame of mind for lessons only to find the parent was suddenly dying for a pee. By the time I'd sorted that out the toddler would be hungry or whatever.

I know it's down to careful Sim management, but only to a point. I'd like to get a bit more out of my game than a sense of achievement because I synchronised their bladders.

Anyone know if there is a time mod for TS4?
    I have one for TS3 and it's one of the reasons why I enjoy The Sims 3 so much.
    EA should make time adjustment a setting in Sims games.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    Saunta2Saunta2 Posts: 870 Member
    Toddlers are hard work and they do overwhelm me at times. I haven't yet quite managed to adjust my pregnancy age accordingly. Before I used to try for baby shortly after becoming an adult. But now with toddlers I have to try to remember to try for baby as a young adult so as to make sure the child is at least a teen when the parents die. My current game, I had to make the father use the youth potion because he and his wife were both due to die before the child aged to a teen.
  • Options
    ronnigirl67ronnigirl67 Posts: 209 Member
    ikiamyetta wrote: »
    I can't relate to this at all. My first toddlers were triplets and they all grew up with maxed skills. There parents worked and made it to the tops of their careers while the boys were still young

I can't relate to this either...Even though these are my favorite toddlers of the series, I think they are way too easy to care for and I wish they were a little more challenging.
  • Options
    ronnigirl67ronnigirl67 Posts: 209 Member
    CK213 wrote: »
    ratsrbest wrote: »

Anyone know if there is a time mod for TS4?
    I have one for TS3 and it's one of the reasons why I enjoy The Sims 3 so much.
    EA should make time adjustment a setting in Sims games.

@CK213 I don't know if there's a stand-alone time mod but MCCC has a time setting. It's my favorite feature.
  • Options
    PixelsimmerPixelsimmer Posts: 2,351 Member
    I love toddlers. And I love that they're a bit challenging too (Even though they're way more independent than toddlers in other sims games). This game is just too easy, so some challenge is always welcome!
  • Options
    JumpingTrainsJumpingTrains Posts: 442 Member
    I couldn't care any less for toddlers in the Sims. In fact, I was happy they weren't originally in the Sims 4, and I loved the YA orientation the game originally had. It's nice to actually be able to PLAY, not just do chores regarding toddler needs. I just age them up.

Also...The inclusion of toddlers 🐸🐸🐸🐸 up all the life spans and EA didn't bother to make them longer now that an additional life stage is here...
  • Options
    JasonSim16JasonSim16 Posts: 466 Member
    I love #TS4 Toddlers and how they did them! I don't get them though because they're very high maintenance (especially if your Sim has twins)!
    71rbpi.png
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    I'm not a big fan of the rearing/nurturing aspect, so toddlers won't rank particularly high on my scale ever. But once in a while they are fun to play and I do not hate them anymore the way I did in the older games.

Actually all you need to do is keep them fed. Not even low social (attention) can get a toddler taken away in Sims 4.
    Toddlers are only hard to play when you aim for excellence and the best possible result. In this case I always feel I need to optimize my houses for maximum efficiency and everything going on in the household revolves around the little one, effectively putting career and story progress on hold.