Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Rx-for-Healing - the Power of Opposite and Color (MOVED)

JazztizzJazztizz Posts: 627 Member
edited May 2017 in Off Topic Chat
Inspired by @Veriona and @Laebeth and by @rosemow 's generous and wise hosting on the Support thread, this is for you, with love and gratitude. This is also to everyone I've connected with since joining the forum for your kind welcome and for all the inspiration, and this is to anyone else interested.

One day I learned I was dying. I had so many clots in my lungs that they couldn't count them, and any ONE of these could have killed me by moving to my heart or head. I reached for the light and wisdom anywhere I could find it.

I latched on to quotes like I was hearing whispers from every age of time, all the brilliant people who had gone through pain. I became obsessed with finding quotes and, while doing so, discovered a secret. In the coming posts, I'll share that secret with you.

Incidentally, I was recently scanned head-to-toe at a hospital and learned that every single clot is gone.

In 2010 or so, I decided I wanted to gift the world for being given another chance at life. My goal is to create 10,000 graphics from inspiring quotes. Since then I've made about 1500 or so, maybe more. Great Advice from Wise People

wgUDr51.jpg
One of my first graphics.

Quotes are like wise women at the fire, saying the right thing exactly when our hearts need to hear it. The ancients believed there are three stages of life: maiden, mother, crone. Mother is not literal. It is about creativity and wild exploration, the time of the "succulent wild woman."

We don't lose the maiden when we enter the mother stage. She becomes part of us. We don't lose the mother when we enter the crone stage -- we are now all three. Crone isn't a hag. It doesn't mean weakness. It means incredible wisdom and power. This is the stage I'm entering. For the first time in my entire life, I feel ready to step into who I am.

As a crone, one of my sacred duties is to listen, and offer succinct advice. Crones have their 🐸🐸🐸🐸 together by now and if they don't, they put it away. It's served its purpose. That's not to say that current lessons aren't teaching. But the need to be understood is past. It's time to understand.

When I'm recovered from the next surgery, I plan to start a new #100dayproject for artists, photographers and writers in support of my heart song, under1000skies. Under1000skies helps homeless artists connect. If this calls to you,join me there too. That's for another day.

Meanwhile, I welcome your input.

Next: Great Advice from Wise People

Find your pack. Love them hard.Because life is short, and sometimes they disappear.Missing Benjamin.Dd9S8jh.gif
Post edited by Jazztizz on

Comments

• NinnsterNinnster Posts: 1,215 Member
    I love, and *must* point out, that the example quote by T.S Eliot you have posted here is illustrated with the painting "Scream", coincidentally the most famous Norwegian painting to date. How about that? As a Norwegian I approve! :)

I too love quotes, and I think I know why. They make you see things in a different light. They make you realize things you maybe never realized, or make you see things you couldn't see. It's actually the same thing therapists do. They teach you about yourself.

I still come across quotes every now and then that stops and make me ponder. Like the quote I use in my signature, I love it because I think there's this perceived notion that artistry and creativity is *just* painting, or writing, or any other form it can take. We often see intelligence as academic when using the word, but there are multiple different ways of being intelligent.

So yeah, go for it! :)
    OriginID: Ninnster

My Sims 4 Twitter
    My Sims 4 Showcase
    My Sims 4 Gallery

#EAGameChanger

"Creativity is intelligence having fun"
  • JazztizzJazztizz Posts: 627 Member
    @Laebeth
    Thank you. =) I noticed your sig quote on Day 1. Love it. The Scream has a special significance for me for me also due a shared love of it with a dear friend.
    Find your pack. Love them hard.Because life is short, and sometimes they disappear.Missing Benjamin.Dd9S8jh.gif
  • VerionaVeriona Posts: 505 Member
    As always you always make me think @Jazztizz <3

I'm still in that stage when I read something, even if it's short or long - I get stupid emotional. After everything that has happened in my life, I'm finally doing some self love/soul searching. So I am a cry baby at every little thing at this point. I'm letting my tears shower away my fears.

Thank you both @Laebeth and @Jazztizz for taking time out of your busy life to read and reply to little ol' me, it's greatly appreciated <3
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,519 Member
    Hello
    It is so very special what you doing with the quotes and pictures <3 It is and will continue to be a very special source of encouragement to all who look at the pictures and quotes. Quotes cause us to take a rest in our day and think about the deep meaning behind the words.
    This thread will be an encouragement to all read it <3
    edited May 2017
    HCTFbpH.jpg
    Painting "Angel of Healing" by Stephanie Pui-Mun Law, Shadowscapes.
    Quote by one of my favorite people of any time, Leonard Nimoy.

I think a lot of us use the Sims as a way to heal, to forget, to find joy without crashing into reminders of grief. The thread @Rosemow hosts so generously and wisely is testament to that. We need to talk about the darkness in order to understand it -- but we can't stay there for long.

When people are unkind, it's unpleasant, it may ruin our day. When people we love are unkind, or use words like "disappointed" it hurts a hell of a lot more, and the hurt may last a long time. I learned something that helped me with this.

Disappointment and judgment is the choice they make and the price they pay for expectation.

"Trade your expectations for appreciation, and the world changes." A.Robbins.

Feelings have colors to me. I discovered a way out of a clinical depression -- the result of being prescribed the wrong drug by my doctor -- using color, and opposites. It took a long time and a dear friend telling me it would get better. During that time, I felt like I lived inside a dementor -- like "I'd never be cheerful again." Once I healed, I dreaded (For years) the wisps of feeling that the dementor was back. Eventually even those feelings went away too.

Here's my color wheel for feelings. After each I explained why it feels that way. So to start, make a list of colors and assign an emotion to each one and, if you want, a reason why it feels that way. Your list may be quite different.

Purple

depression, shame

Blue
    sadness

Indigo
    for pain;

Spring green
    Hope, my hub, is spring green, and...

Forest green
    happiness
    is the color of the forest,
    of the grass after rain.

yellow --
    Excitement
    bright sunshine, open eyes,
    far horizons, clear skies,
    new growth in Spring (forsythia first),
    and anything...is...possible!

orange...
    Irritable,
    cooled-down red,
    yellowed-over pink,
    a color that is good
    for a piece of fruit or an old cat
    in the afternoon sun.

red
    Everyone knows that anger is red.
    Bloodshed red, but...

scarlet
    rage is scarlet, a deeper hue...
    white-hot, furnace-new,
    an anger that cleanses instead of drains.

Brown
    is the color of coffee
    and tea and chocolate,
    of the soil in my little window garden.
    Brown is beautiful.

Grey
    is a non-feeling, a Twilight Zone
    where no colors exist at all,
    a two-dimensional, flattened-out world
    where you can't even feel own presence,
    let alone anyone elses

black.
    is for fear -
    fear is the deepest opposite of love.

Edited for clarity.

"The Colors of Depression"
    Songs from the Dark Side of the Moon, Moonsongs.net
    (A forum for survivors of RAI - Coming -- again -- soon)

The Secret of Opposites / Color

The secret of opposites led me to finding an opposite quote for every bad emotion, and these are the quotes I turned into graphics for Rx-for-Healing. This became a book called Rx-for-Healing, the Power of Opposites, which will be published (knock-on-wood) by 2018. It's a long term project because I'm doing all the art work and photography for it. And all the quotes have to be Public Domain to avoid copyright infringement. The book will be soft cover. It will have tabs and will be color-coded according to mood (sound familiar?) = ) and each tab will direct you to illustrated quotes about the opposite.

You don't need to wait for my book. You can make your own workbook right now. You can make it out of an actual notebook or you can make sims/lots/rooms or stories to do so. The Sims is the perfect way to illustrate your workbook since you can use their Plumbobs as a key for your emotional range if you like.

Notebook How-To

1. List. Make a list of negative emotions you normally feel.

2. Opposites. Write what you think is the opposite of that emotion.

3. Color. Assign a color to each emotion and a different color to its opposite. You chose which words you want to use.

4. Organization. Use color tabs, or pages, or art work as dividers. Let your imagination soar here.

5. Organization - Tabs. Under each tab, save a quote that speaks to your heart. Say for example, you have a list of negative emotions: "Pain, Apathy, Fear." The opposites of those, you decide, are: Joy, Passion, Love."

In your notebook you now have three color-coded tabs. Put a number of blank pages in between these tabs to write on. This is where you'll write all the great advice from wise people over the ages that speaks directly to your heart.

6. Google. Go to Google and type: "quotes about (emotion)" for ideas. For example, type "quotes about joy," and click on the link. Usually Brainy Quote or Good Reads come up first. Both have a big selection of great quotes.

7. Write. Copy down a quote you like for the emotion in your search. If you write just one quote a day, you'll have at least 365 in year. If you write two a day, you'll have over 700 in a year.

7. Read until you feel better. Whenever you're upset, identify the emotion, then figure out its opposite. Then, tab to your favorite quotes and read until you feel better. This works really well. I've used it repeatedly over the years to turn my mind away from anger, pain, worry and all the negative emotions back to the light.

That's the key. What we focus on grows.

Next: Some emotions/opposites graphics examples.

May 8 2016:
    This entire post is was republished and updated today on under1000skies (link in sig).
    edited April 2017
    Veriona wrote: »
    As always you always make me think @Jazztizz <3

I'm still in that stage when I read something, even if it's short or long - I get plum emotional. After everything that has happened in my life, I'm finally doing some self love/soul searching. So I am a cry baby at every little thing at this point. I'm letting my tears shower away my fears.

Thank you both @Laebeth and @Jazztizz for taking time out of your busy life to read and reply to little ol' me, it's greatly appreciated <3

Ah. *hugs* You are a darling. <3 I'm really glad what *I wrote was useful to you. I'm glad we're connected.
    rosemow wrote: »
    Hello
    It is so very special what you doing with the quotes and pictures <3 It is and will continue to be a very special source of encouragement to all who look at the pictures and quotes. Quotes cause us to take a rest in our day and think about the deep meaning behind the words.
    This thread will be an encouragement to all read it <3

@Rosemow thank you for your comment. I really appreciate your tireless and selfless help of everyone who needs it here on the forums. You are a gem. <3
    :'(:'(:'( Reading this, it's like you are talking to me without directly talking me Jazz.

I am rooting for your soft cover.
    edited April 2017
    I wasn't too good at making graphics at first, but this Lifetime Aspiration (10,000 graphics) has made me realize that trial and error and practice is a great way to learn.

Here are some examples of graphics / opposite emotions. You may feel completely different about what the opposite of these emotions is.

Emotion:Loss
    Opposite: Let Go
    6BcIHGU.jpg

Emotion: Work (plum)
    Opposite: Build your dream even it it's only 10 minutes a day. It adds up.
    joPvmkG.jpg

Meh / Appreciate Art and Beauty Everywhere
    SxTKPsY.jpg

A few years ago I heard Dr. Christiana Northrup talk about how she helps her patients go from being their own worst enemy and becoming their own best friend. This inspired me so much that I began Rx-for-Healing to share my graphics aspiration with my friends.

So starting tomorrow, I'll share one or two every day on this thread. Please feel free to share your creative graphics/quotes. If you start an emotion "notebook" please please share it. I'd love to see it.

Please note. This thread is not meant to replace @Rosemow 's wonderful and vital support thread. This is for us to share our favorite quotes that uplift us and help us when we're hurting. I look forward to your creations.

Next (and last): Rx-for-Healing, origins
    edited April 2017
    Rx-for-Healing started in 2010.

For years, I sent out two quotes a day to remind some friends to do mirror affirmations. You go to a mirror and say this:

"I accept you and love you exactly as you are right now."

If you do it this affirmation 30 days straight, without missing, you begin to change.

Warning: It is hard. It takes enormous courage. Some people who have signed up for the Navy-Seal type Earth School may take longer. It took me months. I was fully committed for most of my life to self-destruction.

Rx-for-Healing origins is here.

If you accept that challenge, the site includes some (free/forever) tools. Rx4H is on Facebook too and morphed into Gems/under1000skies. If interested, I'll send you the links.

I hope you find this thread useful.
    :'(:'(:'( Reading this, it's like you are talking to me without directly talking me Jazz.

I am rooting for your soft cover.

@Veriona *hugs* Good. I love your new sig. <3
    I don't have any images to share or quotes, but a short personal story.

Ok here we go (I'm not the best writer):

My first pet who was gifted to me by my spouse the first few years of marriage, became the light of my life as I could not bare children. I had many emotional struggles of losing my unborn babies so I treated this cat (my furbaby) as such, my baby. He was with us for 12 beautiful years, giving me joy and even helped me through my darkest hour by constantly being by my side when I crawled into bed crying endlessly about the lost of my loved ones. The beginning of 2016, we noticed a decline in his health and rushed him to the vet, only to be rushed to the emergency pet care hospital where he survived a cardiac arrest. The ER vet was shocked that he survived seeing as he had heart problems, and called it a miracle. His recovery was a lot faster than we expected and he was a happy cat again that summer. A week before Christmas however, his health started to show signs of decline again and we were unsure why. It was the longest miserable week of my life. We find out a large tumor has been growing rapidly in his intestine. With his heart problems, the chances of surgery helping was slim. That is when I had to make the most selfless decision to put him down as I could see the suffering in his eyes (he hasn't eaten, drank much or gone to the liter for almost a week). Saying goodbye was the hardest thing I ever had to do, as if it was like saying goodbye all over again to my unborn babies. I even felt guilty and blamed myself over and over.

Fast forward today, we since adopted a new baby kitten (the one on my avatar) and have had him for 4 months now. I felt a lot of regret with my choice of adopting too soon, but our new kitten has helped me heal. This kitten was born summer of 2016. In my heart I feel like our beloved cat came back just so our kitten now can be born, and he left us in December (when we adopted our new kitten soon after his passing) so we can meet this loving kitten to help me with the healing process. I still mourn my first furbaby's death, but I feel everything that happened, happened for a reason. Our kitten now was rejected by a previous adopter for being "too hyper", but to us his "hyperness" is what makes him well, him. He is full of energy and you can tell he is curious at the new life he was given by being with us.

*wipes tears*

Thank you for reading. I know it is just about cats, but to me they are more than that <3
    edited April 2017
    Healing from the loss of an Earthling (not just humans) is one of the toughest things we go through. We have to say goodbye over and over. It never gets easier but connection to others we love heals us. I'm so glad you found comfort in your new kitten. I look forward to more stories about your little guy. Such a cute photo! =^..^= <3

bjXWe5x.jpg
    @Veriona thank you for your comment about my book. And once again thanks for sharing your heart. <3
    edited April 2017
    Jazztizz wrote: »
    @Veriona thank you for your comment about my book. And once again thanks for sharing your heart. <3

Ofc, you know I will support you. You are like a walking colorful rainbow. I have no idea how you stay so positive, but my every being is so attracted to you. Thanks for lending me your eyes, was going to say ears but you read everything I complain about :D

@Laebeth puts up with my cat obsession antics. When I come across people who don't like cats aren't a fan, I shower them a little more with it... then they find themselves looking at imgur full of cat meme <3
    edited April 2017
    Jazztizz wrote: »

Ofc, you know I will support you. You are like a walking colorful rainbow. I have no idea how you stay so positive, but my every being is so attracted to you. Thanks for lending me your eyes, was going to say ears but you read everything I complain about :D

=)=)=)
    This is seriously one of the best compliments I have ever gotten.^_^ Thank you. I'm glad my eyes helped you through a though time. = )

"You only need two prayers: 'Help me! Help me! Help me!' or 'Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!'"
    Anne Lamott
    Y95raMn.jpg
    edited April 2017
    When you tell me you will brb or done for the day, this is how it makes me feel:

1ba9afa48a38c00b1f29c43390a1fbd7.gif

@{{{ @Veriona }}} can't see your link unless you were speaking Klingon. If the latter...

zHz8xXp.jpg
    ROFL!!!

I guess forums didn't like that image I will find another :p
    I will just settle for this as a reply to your last comment:

xK0LcIU.gif
    lXl1YYU.gif

Talk soon @Jazztizz ~
    Get your armor on. It's Monday.

TvT7YMw.jpg
    Remember...

MZ8lMFN.jpg
    edited April 2017
    Two for Tuesday. ♡.

bUmZnJW.jpg

JqLUTzR.jpg
    Wednesday Wisdom

vwmQV6R.jpg

RDwN02n.jpg
    Since it's "another day," here's the under1000skies origin story:

It Begins with Me
    14Nov2014

An Invitation

Yesterday I found a post from Laurence O’Bryan on Twitter with a link to a blog called, “Social Cleansing of the Homeless,” by Christopher Taylor. “Social cleansing” was an unfamiliar phrase, and it made me feel uneasy. After I read the article, I felt far worse than uneasy. I was horrified. I asked him a question and he responded. The result was an invitation to start this blog.

More...

Niki Flow ‏@jazztizz Nov 13
    @LPOBryan This is heartbreaking. I was homeless for a short time. Would love a a tweet storm about ideas 4helping w/what we have where we R

Laurence O’Bryan ‏@LPOBryan Nov 14
    @jazztizz can you do a blog post and then we spread the word?

Niki Flow ‏@jazztizz Nov 14
    @LPOBryan Yes I would be happy to do that. I’ll tag you when it’s finished.

I hope I do this very complex subject justice.

22K9CZx.jpg

Flourishing Evil

The only thing required for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing. -Edmund Burke

My environment as a child never lacked any of the basic needs. We had lean times, but I slept in a bed at night. I was sheltered from weather. At 14, I ran away and learned a little about what it means to be homeless — but only a little. I was more uncomfortable than I had ever been in my life, but help was everywhere. After a week, I returned home.

Twenty or so years later, I learned about homelessness again. I lived in DV shelters with my son for a short time. When that was no longer an option, I decided we would go anywhere rather than home, ashamed, to family. I’ll never forget the night my son and I walked around shops to stay warm in an affluent town near where I worked. When it got late, my son fell asleep on the bench in the pizzeria, and we stayed until it closed. When we stood outside that shop, when all the lights in that town dimmed and the merchants went home, I felt utterly terrified. The deepest part of the night had just begun.

Our story had a happy ending. I looked at my son’s sleepy face, swallowed my pride and asked for help. I got it. I was lucky to have a good job, and I soon found a home with rooms to rent. My housemate was a co-worker, and we became lifelong friends. I began to make choices toward health. By the time another 20 or so years passed, I was a different person. I had a new, loving husband and a home of our own. Our life was full of blessings.

Doing Nothing

You must be the change you wish to see in the world. – Gandhi

I worked in the city, and I could never pass a homeless man or woman without wanting to help. I kept bills and change in my pockets and dropped those in a cup or an outstretched hand as much as I could. One day a complete stranger stopped me and scolded me for “aiding their addiction.”

“If you give them money, they’ll spend it all on booze or drugs,” he said. Contempt made his voice sharp, his gestures cutting. I walked away. I couldn’t form any words in the storm of emotions I felt. That man spoke about homeless people as if they were some sort of sub-species and all exactly the same. I knew he was as wrong as a person could possibly be, but I allowed his shaming to make me doubt what I knew. As we so often do, I replayed the encounter with the angry stranger over and over in my mind. I did that for years. I thought of so many things I could have said, with wisdom and articulation, in that moment.
    • How do you know? Were you ever homeless?
    • Your generalization only displays your ignorance.
    • Enjoying that label? Good. Now go back to sleep.
    • Have you ever slept on the ground in the cold, for days at a time?
    • Do you have any idea how much pain being outside on hard surfaces causes to anyone, even young people, after just a few days?
    • Did it ever occur to you that drinking and drugs is the only way “these” people have to escape pain, to just get through one more day?
    • Do you honestly think these men and women were dropped here from Homeless Planet and are some sort of plague on our world?
    • Don’t you know that everything you have can be taken in a moment? That this could be any one of us?

All that anguish in my thoughts did nothing but ruin my day. After that encounter, I felt powerless to help, deeply ashamed and uncomfortable by the homeless people around me. So I did nothing, and pretended not to see. I could pretend all I wanted. My soul saw and felt everything.

Doing Something

Do what you can with what you have where you are. – Eleanor Roosevelt

Maslow called Eleanor Roosevelt one of the few self-actualized people in history. When I learned in Psych 101 what that means, I decided I wanted to be self-actualized too. I could never quite manage the bottom tier of the pyramid, but that didn’t stop me from trying to climb.

I became very sick seven years ago. I worked on what I could control and on the most urgent needs in my life. Slowly, I returned to health, and from then on I looked at life differently. Life was far more precious, and small things mattered less. It was a very slow process with lots of falls. There was only incremental progress, but it was there. A year after I got sick, instead of waiting to die, I decided I wanted to live. A month or so later a teacher appeared. I found new and beautiful friends, mentors and guides who expected nothing from me but to keep trying, be kind to myself and to pay it forward.

Today my life is full of blessings. When my sacred self is in the driver’s seat (rather than my ego), I’m truly grateful for it all. I recently watched a beautiful video with Julio Olalla called Amo la Vida (Love Life).

I loved when he spoke about the beloved quote by Socrates, about how the wisest of us know we have no clue.
    “The interesting and fascinating thing with having no clue,” he said, laughing, “is then you fall in love with questions.”

That feeling of powerlessness I felt all those years ago persisted throughout my life. I’m beginning to learn that that feeling of powerlessness is a lie. I certainly have the power, right now, to help. I can do “small things with great love.” Learning is a daily privilege, and I am clueless, still. So, I “fall in love with questions…” and the question today is this: What can I do where I am with what I have, right now, to help the homeless? I don’t have answers yet, but I have a few ideas. I plan to figure it out, then do it.

I cannot look away any more.

---
    On December 16, 2016 we shipped our first artist packs.

T0DDqJt.jpg

In June of this year, one of our homeless artists and volunteers will be involving the entire city in their creative project for under1000skies.

When we show each other what we find beautiful, we get a glimpse into each other's hearts.

RO4OPuT.jpg
    Photo/Design by Niki Flow