Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Reading Circle That Must NOT Be Named

Comments

• UmbralFlowerUmbralFlower Posts: 4,494 Member
    cshaner wrote: »
    Ugh!!! @DreamsInPixels I hear ya with the busy weekend.

I had a baby shower last weekend!!! So glad the couple is doing well though which leads me to a question for you. It's interesting you say your poor uncles doomed wedding... may I ask why it's doomed?

They met near the end of January. That may work for some couples but this isn't the first time he's married someone months after meeting them and that one ended in divorce. No one knows anything about the bride except that she has 6 kids and has been married twice before, and that she moved here from California just outta the blue. In a small town, that's a bit alarming.
    ~*-*-*~ My SimLit: The Echoed Fragments || A Tale of Love and Fame ~*-*-*~
  • pammiechickpammiechick Posts: 12,262 Member
    Instead of your usual WagonFruit and cshaner, I'm going to ask the group a question today! I know our stories all evolve over time (and sometimes in really surprising ways), so I'm curious: Are you happy with the beginnings of your stories? If not, what would you like to change, and why?

I'm never happy with the beginnings of my stories, because they always start out so strong but then taper off into a fizzle. So I guess it's not that I'm not happy with them, I'm just not happy that I can't keep the good momentum going, if that makes sense. So with this new story, I'm going to take my time and proof read to try and keep the consistency.

You know, this is a struggle for most writers. It's called the muddy middles. And I've had them a lot when I first started writing novels. How do you keep that excitement throughout your story? I'm sorry I don't have many words of wisdom except that you have to constantly create drama--don't let one problem finish before another one crops up. And outlining can help you know where you're going so that can help motivate you. If you have it all in your head, you might feel lost when you sit at the computer to play or write.
    iTvMKZ8.jpg
    Instead of your usual WagonFruit and cshaner, I'm going to ask the group a question today! I know our stories all evolve over time (and sometimes in really surprising ways), so I'm curious: Are you happy with the beginnings of your stories? If not, what would you like to change, and why?

I'm never happy with the beginnings of my stories, because they always start out so strong but then taper off into a fizzle. So I guess it's not that I'm not happy with them, I'm just not happy that I can't keep the good momentum going, if that makes sense. So with this new story, I'm going to take my time and proof read to try and keep the consistency.

You know, this is a struggle for most writers. It's called the muddy middles. And I've had them a lot when I first started writing novels. How do you keep that excitement throughout your story? I'm sorry I don't have many words of wisdom except that you have to constantly create drama--don't let one problem finish before another one crops up. And outlining can help you know where you're going so that can help motivate you. If you have it all in your head, you might feel lost when you sit at the computer to play or write.

I do outline. I always outline far ahead before I do any writing, so I can adjust it as needed. I think my problem is pacing. I either go too fast, or too slow. I can never find that perfect middle ground.
  • MVWdeZTMVWdeZT Posts: 3,267 Member
    edited April 2017
    @DreamsInPixels, yes, I'm curious about the doomed wedding, too, but you don't have to tell us if you feel it's too personal.

I like the term "connective tissue." The kind of story I do, it seems like it's ALL connective tissue, and I don't really have a plot, just one generation after another. Really, the only thing to do is to keep slogging away. We all want our stories to be "screen-scrollers" (the SimLit equivalent of page-turners), but page-turners have their own weaknesses. The DaVinci Code, for instance, is a great page-turner, the kind of book you read in one sitting because you can't put it down. But the characters are really cardboard - just names that go through all the actions.

For me, writing about Sims is kind of like the way watching a baseball game with my mother used to be. Once in a while something actually exciting would happen on the field, but most of the time, we'd share a bunch of observations with each other. We'd admire the way a player slid into second base or groan when an announcer said that someone was playing "inside himself." It's not high drama, but then I don't think the Sims are set up to support high drama.

I do outline. I always outline far ahead before I do any writing, so I can adjust it as needed. I think my problem is pacing. I either go too fast, or too slow. I can never find that perfect middle ground.

Yeah...I struggle with it, too. Hee!

I'm excited for your new story, though! Maybe that will be just the thing for you! It took me to write five sim lit stories before this one--and I'm obsessed with it. Still am over this many months. Hoping that happens for you!!! <3 I'm already intrigued by your banner!
    iTvMKZ8.jpg
    cshaner wrote: »
    Ooooh a @LadyLobster prompt. Love it!!

I feel like my beginning to BtB was strong. It set the tone that it was going to be a fairly serious drama and you were introduced to the lead and got a bit of mystery surrounding her right away. I am very pleased with my screenshots too. I used one of the film edit filters that make it seem like there is a bluish tint that I'm pleased with.

My problem is that other than some cool scenes I'd like to tell I'm having a hard time with the as LL calls it the "connective tissue" chapters. If I could work on a buffer I think I'd be happier or an outline! I keep saying outline because I think that would be better than the seat of my pants writing I'm doing now.

Outlines help. I didn't do that with Tribe Wahine and the plot is just not as cohesive. There's no foreshadowing. Nothing. Blah...I'm so shocked so many people liked it. I kinda cringe when I think about it.

I'm not sure what you mean by "connective tissue chapters"...you mean subplots?
    iTvMKZ8.jpg
    MVWdeZT wrote: »
    I was going to say that I would rather have more words than screenshots in the first couple of chapters of a story I start reading because I'm more interested in how the person writes than in what the pictures looked like. But then I remembered @WagonFruit's pics of Al Simhara, which really drew me into the story. So I think as long as someone draws me into the story, I don't care how they do it.

I think my first few chapters were pretty strong; it's the later ones that tend to be less compelling (I don't think "fizzle" is the word, @DreamsInPixels, certainly not for your story, and I hope not for mine).

I think that characters at the beginning of a novel, book form or sim-lit, nearly always are more stereotypical. You don't really know who they are or what they're capable of until you've written about them for a bit. And if you go back and try to edit with your present characters in mind, then you either cross out everything or put in too much.

I LOVED how your story started. I started reading it before the group thingie. I really miss Vlad and his evil machinations...muahahahaaa....and the blog thing was so funny!!! But then it is a generational challenge so you can't keep the founder's POV all the time. ;)

And I agree with those pics of Al Simhara. She has gorgeous backdrops anyway.
    iTvMKZ8.jpg
  • SeaDragonSongSeaDragonSong Posts: 2,324 Member
    Bob Bobson is actually my first simlit, and I'm happy with the beginning of it, because there's really no other way that it could be written. I was thinking last night about what I should do to give Eric and Jerry more time focusing on them, but then I realized that they're more supporting characters and Bob would be glaring at me again.
    Story_Banner.png
    Twists In Time And Space (Updated December 2nd 2018. New discord server!)
    Bob Bobson (Updated August 12th 2019)
  • cshanercshaner Posts: 2,620 Member
    edited April 2017

Outlines help. I didn't do that with Tribe Wahine and the plot is just not as cohesive. There's no foreshadowing. Nothing. Blah...I'm so shocked so many people liked it. I kinda cringe when I think about it.

I'm not sure what you mean by "connective tissue chapters"...you mean subplots?

Yeah, I really need to just stop procrastinating and get my outline done.

The connective tissue is the transitional chapters. Maybe not a ton of plot movement but they set up the next set of events. Not subplots at all, they feel like those chapters where almost nothing happens. But in a good story you can see how that chapter was necessary to carry the next bit of plot forward. A great example of connective tissue done well is LL's recent chapter with Graham and Isla on her stage.

@DreamsInPixels Yes, I can see for sure why you're concerned about Uncles impending nuptials. I would honestly try to keep an open mind. This could be the charm! My sis-in-law has been married three times now. This current hubby is the keeper!
    covensig800x200.jpg?w=676
    SimFluence - Where Sims Influence the Story
    Blood that Binds: A Vampire Coven Challenge Updated 04/22/2017
    Life Under Construction: A Drifter Challenge House 001 Completed 1/29/17 | Orphan Challenge: Harkins Family Completed 11/12/16
    Origin ID: cshaner07
    I posted the first chapter of my new story, it's wordless thought. I still have some setting up to do in the save, but I wanted to get the blog up and see how it looks with a post. There's even character pages!

So here's the link to the blog: https://thelilyandlotus.wordpress.com/

I'll have to set up the forum thread after the wedding. I need to at least take a nap so I'm not super grumpy and so I don't get in a cat fight with one of the guests (a person I actually, legitimately hate. She would be my enemy if this were the sims.)
    @DreamsInPixels, your characters look intriguing, and i'm looking forward to what happens next. Hope the wedding goes well. I was my husband's 3rd wife and he's my 2nd, and we've been married for 20 years now, so let's hope your uncle is 3rd time lucky.
  • WagonFruitWagonFruit Posts: 2,489 Member
    @MVWdeZT would you ever consider doing a bit more of the Stardew stuff lovely Empress? I know you're busy with Strauds but I miss your Stardew stuff so much!

/pines

And if you just happened to casually drop a link in here once in a while... B)
    FzWOQ8X.jpg
    @WagonFruit, Yes, I'll go back to Stardust Valley -- just for you! But I need to go over my notes and remind myself who I'm shipping with whom.
    @MVWdeZT I should check out your Stardew stuff!!
    Life Under Construction: A Drifter Challenge House 001 Completed 1/29/17 | Orphan Challenge: Harkins Family Completed 11/12/16
    A different topic -- I just noticed on another thread that today is SimCrush Sunday. I didn't even know such a thing existed. So, who's your Sim crush? (Limit -- one only). Mine is Saul Strider from @LadyLobster 's Fangs for the Memories.
    BYRON!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :love:
    iTvMKZ8.jpg
  • Haids5987Haids5987 Posts: 8,465 Member
    I'll choose a girl crush. I'm enamored with Raet from Line of the Last. That girl is the best!!! :lol:
    signature2.png?ssl=1&w=450
    **Also known as EmeraldCityTaurus***
    MVWdeZT wrote: »
    A different topic -- I just noticed on another thread that today is SimCrush Sunday. I didn't even know such a thing existed. So, who's your Sim crush? (Limit -- one only). Mine is Saul Strider from @LadyLobster 's Fangs for the Memories.

Mine is also Saul Strider! :love:
    FzWOQ8X.jpg
    Mine is Darius.
  • LadyLobsterLadyLobster Posts: 4,133 Member
    Mine will forever be Jahi from Line of the Last. <3
    uduVcAP.png
    my not gonna happen crush is Knight from D&K
    @LadyLobster Jahi appreciates your patronage! <3
    179ZwJh.png
    FzWOQ8X.jpg
  • LadyLobsterLadyLobster Posts: 4,133 Member
    @WagonFruit I love you so much. <3<3 (Now Maat and Tem are going to come after me...)
    uduVcAP.png
  • SeaDragonSongSeaDragonSong Posts: 2,324 Member
    I can't pick, but I guess at the moment it'd be Byron as well. That last Byron chapter though. <3
    Story_Banner.png
    Twists In Time And Space (Updated December 2nd 2018. New discord server!)
    Bob Bobson (Updated August 12th 2019)