Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Fidlerten's Showcase

Comments

• XinqunXinqun Posts: 612 Member
    Charming! I can't help but see a face on that front facade, and the slope of the roofs on either side make me think of arms akimbo, like the house is literally griping at me. Flights of fantasy aside, the whole thing is, as I said, very charming; definitely a little-old-lady feel about it, and I love the little shaded porch with the angled entrance door.
  • fidlertenfidlerten Posts: 7,615 Member
    @Xinqun you're right about the face as I thought of that when looking at it from a front view as the covershot is. Thank you for your nice compliments.

One note about my grandmother, and there are many: Whenever you got ready to leave her house, she would insist that you take some of her cooking with you. She'd say, "Larry, (my real name) you want to take some of that fried chicken with you? Let me cut you a couple slices of this mincemeat pie to take home too?" she'd say. She did not know how to take "no" for an answer and she would keep insisting you take something home with you."You don't look like you've been eating all that well to me." Which would mean I'm not as fat as she thinks I ought to be. You also didn't want to even get started on her candies, such as chocolate fudge, peanut butter fudge, date loaf or divinity, there was no stopping at just one piece.

I think of her often and I know she would have loved this house except for having two-stories (something that was pointed out by a cousin of mine when I emailed her the link to the video) as she probably wouldn't care for the stairs.
    Signature%2005-29-17_zpsti5fd2z4.png
  • NinnsterNinnster Posts: 1,215 Member
    Absolutely precious home! I like the soft colors used inside, and how there's little knick-knacks everywhere. Exactly what I would expect in a grannys home! There's also a mix of old and new furniture, which I also expect to see, as these little grannys will accumulate items and furniture over a life time and also have to buy new things every now and then. It's a beautiful home :heart:

My grandmother is like that, she has some old furniture I can remember from I was a toddler, and other pieces are new. And speaking of grannys wanting to give you food. My great grandma is Danish. Now, the Danish has a tradition for eating long meals, and can often eat for hours on end. We would visit every summer, and I hated it, because she would stuff us full of food. Even when you said no to a second plate, she just put food on it anyway. haha! And then when you finish dinner and dessert and hope it's over..... coffee and cakes! :lol:
    OriginID: Ninnster

My Sims 4 Twitter
    My Sims 4 Showcase
    My Sims 4 Gallery

#EAGameChanger

"Creativity is intelligence having fun"
    Hi @Laebeth, that's was my grandma through and through. When I sat down at a meal, she would still be up looking in the fridge and asking me if I wanted some of this or that to add to my meal and even when I said "No thank you" she'd ask again if I was sure. And yes, she kept all kinds of knick-knacks around. She also liked to pile decorative pillows on her bed and dolls, mostly china dolls, on top of that. Every time she went to bed she'd have to take all those things off just to get under the covers.

When I designed the two bedrooms, I had a memory in mind of when we lived together for so many years. She'd have her old fashioned bedroom and I'd have mine, which I preferred it to be a bit more modern, though I certainly didn't have a canopy bed like the one in the more modern bedroom in this house. That would have been interesting to have though.

Thank you for the nice compliments and the sentiments about your grandmother and mine. :)
    @fidlerten That is so sweet, your grandma sounds so precious! That generation was just so absolutely caring :)

So nice that the bedrooms where inspired by yours and hers! That makes more sense then, as I did ponder why the one bedroom was so much more modern than the other rooms! That is so sweet though, and such a lovely thought to make a house that is so special to you. Makes it even more unique! :)

My Sims 4 Twitter
    My Sims 4 Showcase
    My Sims 4 Gallery

#EAGameChanger

• rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,585 Member
    It was so very lovely to read about treasured memories of your grandmothers @fidlerten and @Laebeth <3 They are very special .
    They sound like very beaufiul, warm , and generous ladies.
  • VerionaVeriona Posts: 505 Member
    edited April 2017
    @fidlerten Those are very special memories shared with your grandmother. I could tell you treasured them with every detail you wrote. <3
    Thanks @rosemow, @Laebeth and @Veriona for all your nice compliments. Yes, my grandmother and I were close. She had seven grand kids altogether but I was her favorite. If you asked her that though, she'd say, "I love all my grand kids." and would refuse to admit it but believe me, her actions always proved she always had a special place in her heart for me. One reason being is that she had a son named Kenneth who was stricken with polio at the age of nine. She took care of him all his life as he was bound to a wheelchair, his body twisted with the disease. He died of pneumonia at the age of 26, one year before I was born.

I reminded her of him so much. When she would wash my hands and face before taking me with her some place, she'd sometimes say, "Kenneth, your arms are just so thin..." before catching herself calling me by his name. He had a special place in her heart and that fell onto me after he died. I was a really skinny kid but I grew up to be quite healthy.
    What a beautiful story to share :) As a mother I find it hard to imagine the pain of losing a child, and it doesn't matter what age your child is, they are still your baby. It's so special that even though she lost her son, she had a grandson she found so much of him in! Must have made it a little easier to bare <3

You know your story reminds me of my grandmother. On a visit more than a decade ago we had a conversation and she told me "I will never admit to this if anyone asks, but you have always been a little bit more special than the others". I'm the oldest, so I was their first grandchild. My parents had me very young, they were still kids. When told about the pregnancy my grandmother had a 'don't expect help you are on your own now' attitude, but as soon as I was born they completely changed and wanted to have me over constantly :blush:

I had a great grandmother who always treated her grand kids differently, so she would give my dad and aunts socks for Christmas, while their cousin would get lavish gifts. This broke my grandmothers heart, so she spent extra money every Christmas buying gifts telling them they were from my great grandma. For this reason, it's always been really important for my grandma to never treat any of us grand kids any differently. So that comment then was so very special to me :)

That is a memory that is very special, and although my grandmother is still here, she is in very poor health, so it's nice to think back on this :heart:

Sorry for hijacking your thread with all of this! :)

My Sims 4 Twitter
    My Sims 4 Showcase
    My Sims 4 Gallery

#EAGameChanger

Oh please @Laebeth don't worry about hijacking my thread. It's really wonderful to hear your stories too about your grandmother. Those are special relationships in our lives that we will cherish even after they are long gone and we ourselves grow old. Thank you very much for sharing. :)
  • CorwimCorwim Posts: 3,218 Member
    Granny Good-Gripes home is such a charming house and your personal stories really elavate it to a special status @fidlerten ! <3 You can tell this was a personal creation and the memories are wonderfully reflected in both the house and its beautiful interiors. Wonderful build!
    Greatly appreciate those comments @Corwim, thank you!
  • VerionaVeriona Posts: 505 Member
    @fidlerten Just doing a drive by *hug* on your thread. Your story about your grandmother got me a little teary eyed.
    @Veriona, that's a very nice thing for you to say, thank you!
  • yanti68yanti68 Posts: 19,017 Member
    Great builds Fid! I especially love the modern house! Great architecture! The granny house looks charming! good job! Already added the modern to my favourite and will be adding the granny house to my favourites too. Have a lot of catching up to do. :D
    Hiya @yanti68. Thank you for stopping by and for your nice compliments on my latest two projects. I also noticed you just finished an epic build and I added it to my favorites too. Great job!
  • WrathofCathWrathofCath Posts: 4,419 Member
    Granny Good Gripes Home is such a wonderful tribute to your beloved grandmother @fidlerten. It's absolutely charming both inside and out. :)

I loved hearing about your memories of her, when you were young! I think she had a lot in common with my husband's grandmother. She was an adorable character who left Ireland when she was only 17, to come live in the USA with her aunt and uncle. She was so feisty! And she too, loved to feed everyone. She'd disappear to the pantry about five minutes after you stopped in to visit, only to reappear minutes later with a full lunch all ready for whoever was visiting. :p I really Loved that old woman! <3
    @WrathofCath I suppose we all have had women in our lives that etched a permanent place in our memories never to be forgotten.

Thank you for the compliment. Next house in the workings is an Asian-Modern Fusion, which I'm keeping under wraps until it's completely ready to go.
    edited May 2017
    Thanks @rosemow. I've been working on it for a while now and it's not far from being finished, but then, it takes me time to do all the play-testing, photo-taking and then the creation of a youtube video, which is now my chosen method of promotion and showcasing. I think everyone will like it as it's something different and unique.
  • ehaught58ehaught58 Posts: 2,765 Member
    You never disappoint me, Fidlerten! :smiley: I looked through all of your lots and I was going to pick one out that was my favorite, but that was hard to do. I tried to narrow it down, but there were a few that really made it difficult, but I finally settled on one. Granny Good-Gripes Home has such a country feel to it, and I really like that. :wink: Keep them coming, bro! I look forward to more! :smiley:
    fkgck4xkargo.png
    "If you build it, they will come." - Movie: Field of Dreams
    Gosh, that's a big compliment coming from you @ehaught58. I'm flattered and thank you! :smiley:
    For my birthday, I get to introduce my newest lot I've been working on.

Xiao Asian-Modern Fusion
    is a 6 Bedroom/4 Bath Home with a uniqueness all its own. The Exterior Includes a Fountain-Laden Pool, Outdoor Entertainment Area with Jacuzzi, and Lavish Landscaping. Indoor Includes a Gym, Full Bar with Every Bedroom Uniquely Designed. It has no CC and has been Play-tested.
    05-13-17_11-42-01nbspPM_zpsmmjmqqj7.png

Also there is a youtube video that gives you a thorough walkthrough of the home: Xiao Asian Modern Fusion

• WrathofCathWrathofCath Posts: 4,419 Member
    Firstly, I'd like to wish you a very Happy Birthday! :smile:

Secondly, your Asian home is absolutely Stunning! Love the dramatic red flowers placed in the beautiful gardens out front and the gorgeous water features. The colors and shape for the home are fabulous! Loved each of the interior rooms and the awesome floor work throughout. I think I have to say my favorite bedroom was the periwinkle (or light purple) one. So very Pretty!

Hope you have a most enjoyable birthday! :blush:
    Thank you @WrathofCath I'm so glad you liked it. I think that's my favorite bedroom too. :)