Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Most of Sims are of foreign origin since CL[solved] by uninstalling CL

Comments

• LuvMySimzLuvMySimz Posts: 642 Member
    I agree with the OP of this thread. I wish there was a way to uninstall City Life and still keep my game progress. CL is the expansion I wish I had NOT bought.

me too sometimes...
    „ - Criticism may not be agreeable, but it's sometimes necessary - “

• Erica87Erica87 Posts: 743 Member
    edited April 2017
    MadameLee wrote: »
    Bella is dark-skinned ( presume ancestors either from middle of India or from somewhere in the Middle-East) Bob is presumbley of African descendent, Catelenine family is Spanish, Bjersgen is a German sounding name ,

Bjergsen is scandinavian (not german) and Bella is most likely from italy as her first name is italian. But I agree with your point.
    CURRENTLY PLAYING: Forum mafias & Minecraft, mainly.
    Taking a break from the sims for a while!
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I have no problem with different races in my game, I think it's great. My issue is that since CL every townie has an asian name, even if they don't look asian. I play my game in portuguese because I'm brazilian, and before CL, we had a minimal name pool, about 200 for each gender, and all of them were brazilian names. I didn't like that as everyone ended up with the same last name, and the first names repeated a lot. I think in you guy's english games they had about 1.000+ first names for each gender, and they had some variety to it. But now they introduced new names (none of them english names) and every townie has an asian name. I think they are hard to pronounce and clearly not every person or sim comes from asian descent, so it is unrealistic. I think variety and multiculturalism is great but they went about it in the wrong way, in a way that you are very unlikely to see a sim with an american name (or in my case brazilian). I don't know if they see this as a bug, and they are not fixing many of the bugs introduced with CL anyway, so who knows if they'll get around giving this a second look.

Maybe these really long names cause lag, like the hyphen Kim name in game caused bad freeze lag, according to gurus and they had to remove it. Maybe they should see if really long names do the same.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    celeste821 wrote: »
    I love diversity in the game. But I do feel the sims 4 has went overboard. The most frustrating thing about it is the game giving sims Asian names (quite often the same Asian name at that) to sims that are not Asian.

what exactly is overboard? Because I feel the same way with the lack of diversity

Exactly as I said, the game giving sims Asian names, when the sims themselves are clearly not Asian.

What is "Asian" in SimNation?

The same as what it is in the real world?

I disagree. The universe in The Sims series is not our own. The world matches no known geography. There is magic, the undead, a discernable afterlife, carnivorous cow plants, aliens, etc. Why would ethnicity match our own?

Why would their names match our own then? In TS3 you could travel to China, France, and Egypt. Yes, the developers use our cultures and even places, to create the game.

The Sims 4 takes place in an alternate Sims Universe. Clearly the boundaries are not the same, nor is the ethnicity. As fascinating as all of this talk about Sims eugenics has been, it is ultimately moot. The universe of The Sims is not like our own. Sims themselves do not match our physiology. It seems natural that ethnicity and cultural norms would not match our own either. Everyone was celebrating Day of the Dead. A portion of the population has spontaneously turned into plant people. My latest legacy founder married a woman named Maki Fujita, who had blonde hair, brown eyes and epicanthic folds -- what you would call "slanted eyes". I see no issue with the matter.

Do you even read what gurus say in interviews? They said they mimicked big cities like in Japan, viola you have Japanese townie names. But don't you think they should at least look Japanese and not blond hair, blue eyed Dutch or Irish? Most of the Sims in my game are brown, or black townies with Japanese names. And those who are blond hair still have a Japanese name. I tried to correct names in CAS with cheat but it won't stick. It will say I changed the name but when you mouse over them they keep the original game generated name.

Although an ignorant, bubble-dwelling, blase, non-community member, I do read about The Sims. As I have said before, the game universe incorporates real-world cultures in a way that may not resemble our real world. Are sims genetics our genetics? What if blonde hair carries the dominant gene instead of black? It seems to be that way in The Sims 4. I see no issue with it.

Of course, if you are set on pursuing real-world ethnic purity the devs have given rather flexible tools when it comes to editing the sims in your world. I would suggest that be your best option at this juncture.

I just want the game to generate some Sims who have names I can pronounce. I don't care if they are black, brown, or white. In The Sims there were townies generated who had the Sims as last name. That is a well known, common black name in America. And the game generated black townies with that name. I like some things to make sense. I really can't suspend my disbelief if they are African American and have a Japanese name. I would think Waters, or Sims, or Jenkins etc. Sorry, that's the way my mind works.

Well then I defer to your superior judgement.

Why are you so defensive? If every townie generated in your game had names you can't remember wouldn't you be frustrated with the townie generator? It's not just the townies who hang out in CL, they are everywhere in my game. As I said I rarely see Summer Holiday or anyone like that at any gathering or community lot. It's those CL townies. It was the same in TS2 though and had to wait for new EP for it to correct itself.

Your judgement, not mine, will always be superior in your game. It is telling that you're still eager to punch, and a reason that I am happy to be considered external to this community.
    I love diversity in the game. But I do feel the sims 4 has went overboard. The most frustrating thing about it is the game giving sims Asian names (quite often the same Asian name at that) to sims that are not Asian.

what exactly is overboard? Because I feel the same way with the lack of diversity

Exactly as I said, the game giving sims Asian names, when the sims themselves are clearly not Asian.

I disagree. The universe in The Sims series is not our own. The world matches no known geography. There is magic, the undead, a discernable afterlife, carnivorous cow plants, aliens, etc. Why would ethnicity match our own?

Why would their names match our own then? In TS3 you could travel to China, France, and Egypt. Yes, the developers use our cultures and even places, to create the game.

The Sims 4 takes place in an alternate Sims Universe. Clearly the boundaries are not the same, nor is the ethnicity. As fascinating as all of this talk about Sims eugenics has been, it is ultimately moot. The universe of The Sims is not like our own. Sims themselves do not match our physiology. It seems natural that ethnicity and cultural norms would not match our own either. Everyone was celebrating Day of the Dead. A portion of the population has spontaneously turned into plant people. My latest legacy founder married a woman named Maki Fujita, who had blonde hair, brown eyes and epicanthic folds -- what you would call "slanted eyes". I see no issue with the matter.

Do you even read what gurus say in interviews? They said they mimicked big cities like in Japan, viola you have Japanese townie names. But don't you think they should at least look Japanese and not blond hair, blue eyed Dutch or Irish? Most of the Sims in my game are brown, or black townies with Japanese names. And those who are blond hair still have a Japanese name. I tried to correct names in CAS with cheat but it won't stick. It will say I changed the name but when you mouse over them they keep the original game generated name.

Although an ignorant, bubble-dwelling, blase, non-community member, I do read about The Sims. As I have said before, the game universe incorporates real-world cultures in a way that may not resemble our real world. Are sims genetics our genetics? What if blonde hair carries the dominant gene instead of black? It seems to be that way in The Sims 4. I see no issue with it.

Of course, if you are set on pursuing real-world ethnic purity the devs have given rather flexible tools when it comes to editing the sims in your world. I would suggest that be your best option at this juncture.

I just want the game to generate some Sims who have names I can pronounce. I don't care if they are black, brown, or white. In The Sims there were townies generated who had the Sims as last name. That is a well known, common black name in America. And the game generated black townies with that name. I like some things to make sense. I really can't suspend my disbelief if they are African American and have a Japanese name. I would think Waters, or Sims, or Jenkins etc. Sorry, that's the way my mind works.

Why are you so defensive? If every townie generated in your game had names you can't remember wouldn't you be frustrated with the townie generator? It's not just the townies who hang out in CL, they are everywhere in my game. As I said I rarely see Summer Holiday or anyone like that at any gathering or community lot. It's those CL townies. It was the same in TS2 though and had to wait for new EP for it to correct itself.

Killing time.... His date probably set him off...

edited April 2017
    Erica87 wrote: »
    Bella is dark-skinned ( presume ancestors either from middle of India or from somewhere in the Middle-East) Bob is presumbley of African descendent, Catelenine family is Spanish, Bjersgen is a German sounding name ,

Bjergsen is scandinavian (not german) and Bella is most likely from italy as her first name is italian. But I agree with your point.

I never thought she was Italian in TS1. But maybe in TS2. Her hair is much shorter in original game and her skin wasn't olive but more olive complexion in TS2. I think they don't remember their own stories. :D
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • celeste821celeste821 Posts: 543 Member
    meeoun wrote: »
    Just for the record. You don't say "person of color" or "colored" here in the US.
    Ask Benedict Cumberbatch
    http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/27/entertainment/benedict-cumberbatch-colored-apology/

Colored, no, but from my limited experience of sociological academic writing as an Econ student, and talking to people into feminist critical literature , there seems to be a rise of the term "people of colour" as a politically correct way to refer to minorities, which baffles me to be honest, but there you go. Also if anything I thought this whole poc thing came out of the US, I'm from the UK for reference.

poc is not just blacks, it's anyone who isn't considered caucasian the term makes whites feel comfortable

That's the thing though, it's not used in far right (not that I'm applauding them) or conservative circles. It's used in intersectional feminist and left wing circles, by people who consider themselves progressive. That's why I find it confusing. I mean in the grand scheme of things it's not the biggest issue but just putting that out there for this discussion.

I hear you I don't really consider left or liberal necessarily progressive, https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100009425529845 this is an excellent page for the discussion, very supportive but realist atmasphere
    LuvMySimz wrote: »

When someone is nasty or treats you poorly, don’t take it personally. It says nothing about you but a lot about them
    edited April 2017

I never thought she was Italian in TS1. But maybe in TS2. Her hair is much shorter in original game and her skin wasn't olive but more olive complexion in TS2. I think they don't remember their own stories. :D

Italians can have short hair and lighter skin too :lol: But now that I think about it, her original last name is bachelor. Likely she herself isn't italian but has a hispanic ancestor - her grandma Enriqueta Bachelor, whose maiden name is unknown I think. Enriqueta sounds more spanish than italian though. Either way, I'm pretty sure she's not from india or the middle east.

Your judgement, not mine, will always be superior in your game. It is telling that you're still eager to punch, and a reason that I am happy to be considered external to this community.

Was I punching at you? If I made you feel that way then sorry. I am only frustrated with the game and how it generates too many CL townies. Like at the first of release when I had way too many elderly generated who were soon going to die and have to replace the workers etc. Or too may mom/teen, son and no other Sim family types. It's been a problem since release of this game how the townie generator works.
    Players have been replacing townies with their own since The Sims. I would like to see some sort of control returned to the player without them having to use a name generator mod and or a clothing mod (to pick the outfits they want to see townies wear, instead of naked wrestlers) and what ethnic Sims they want to have. It's a matter of control and how they player relates to their own imagination instead of something forced on them. WC replaced with Sims like Summer Holiday to Sims I can never pronounce. It's not anything to do with racist, it's what story is the player playing and why it should matter they get that control.

I agree with what you said and how you said it because honestly I don't have very much diversity in my game because I tend to make black sims, but there is a way to express what you said without showing your true colors lol and being offensive like the op did

When someone is nasty or treats you poorly, don’t take it personally. It says nothing about you but a lot about them

Exacty! Keep that in mind. jumping to conclutions seems to be your hobby.

edited April 2017

Italians can have short hair and lighter skin too :lol: But now that I think about it, her original last name is bachelor. Likely she herself isn't italian but has a hispanic ancestor - her grandma Enriqueta Bachelor, whose maiden name is unknown I think. Enriqueta sounds more spanish than italian though.

I suppose so. But this Bella does make me think Italian, and whoever thought middle Eastern seems way off. But what do I know.

ETA: I thought Bella's ancestors buried in TS2 Greener cemetery was Le Tourneau. Seems they took more liberties with their facts in TS3.
  • MonaveilMonaveil Posts: 652 Member
    I don't have City Life installed in my game right now but the game still manages to generate some unusual names. Unusual to me because I'm not familiar with them. Last night it generated a very thin Young Adult male named Nawwaf Woodruff. He was very pale and had the platinum blonde version of Caleb Vatore's hairstyle with a pencil thin mustache. I did have to look up his name because it was new to me. I thought he was a vampire, but he wasn't.

Usually I just change townie names when I have repeats. For example, I get a lot of new townies with the surname Baker and Bishop. I also get quite a few males with the first name Habib. I don't know, at this point adding Asian names sound s like it might mix things up a little more. However, I haven't worked up the courage to re-install City Living.

A larger name pool would be good. There used to be mods that added French and German names but that might have been for Sims 2.

If you say so. Enjoy making SimNation great again.

Was I punching at you? If I made you feel that way then sorry. I am only frustrated with the game and how it generates too many CL townies. Like at the first of release when I had way too many elderly generated who were soon going to die and have to replace the workers etc. Or too may mom/teen, son and no other Sim family types. It's been a problem since release of this game how the townie generator works.

Worry not, I will not befoul your community any longer today. I just thought that ethnicity is not that big of a deal. Clearly I was wrong.

Italians can have short hair and lighter skin too :lol: But now that I think about it, her original last name is bachelor. Likely she herself isn't italian but has a hispanic ancestor - her grandma Enriqueta Bachelor, whose maiden name is unknown I think. Enriqueta sounds more spanish than italian though.

I suppose so. But this Bella does make me think Italian, and whoever thought middle Eastern seems way off. But what do I know.

It's possible that they just gave them latin sounding names and weren't fixed on a specific country of origin.

I want to thank you here! You are about the only one who really understood the meaning of my thread.

• CandydCandyd Posts: 1,261 Member
    I'm not bothered by the fact that there are ethnically diverse sims. If I have complaints to give when it comes to this, it's that my game generates only very few Sims of African origin. Plenty of sims with dark skin tones but still very few African sims, to the point where I decided to make a few townies myself. And also the same issue that always existed, that is mixing dark skin tones with blonde or red hair colors. I wouldn't want to see these combinations locked but they shouldn't be available for random IMO. I do know that they can still naturally happen IRL but they're rare and then shouldn't be displayed by tons of random townies.
    I'm a bit more bothered by the lack of diversity in names. Not enough are available, and there is an insane quantity of Japanese names. And there is something I find disturbing about that because I have the feeling that all the very strong Japanese inspiration in City Living wasn't so much due to the wish to add cultural diversity, but essentially because manga, anime and Japanese pop culture are so trendy and financially profitable. Maybe EA hoped that adding Japanese stuff to the EP would make teens and young adults want to buy it. They exaggerated when trying to be super trendy again. And as many others do, they used a culture to make money on it.

If you say so. Enjoy making SimNation great again.

Worry not, I will not befoul your community any longer today. I just thought that ethnicity is not that big of a deal. Clearly I was wrong.

To some it matters, I don't care but I do need names I can remember. Blame it on cognitive problems I have. I tried to give some of them names I could remember and spell but they won't stick so I will have to wait til they give the game a broader name generator.
    This. This is my problem:

34042112462_d593a4691b_o.png
    34068510921_3c22926c4b_o.png

His name it Tetsu Wantanabe. Aside from being dressed hideously, does he look like a very accurate representation of most Japanese men? However, my game generated about 5 other males with the Wantanabe surname all with goatees... even one with the multi-colored dreads. That's my problem.

have a blond female who I don't even know how to start to pronounce her name. I sometimes think is that real? ETA: In my area I would see more Latin names and Mexican names and more German and Irish. It's hard for me to play TS4 since CL when they all generate the same last names and aren't even kin, and or don't match their name.

ever heard of mitochondrial eve? why do people think blonde hair is exclusive to whites?

I want to thank you here! You are about the only one who really understood the meaning of my thread.

Perception is everything. And many times on the internet people are too quick to perceive something that was never there. You are welcome. ...sometimes a political view is the reason and skews something someone was really saying. That's why my perception is not flawed by political views.

Most all the time... Atleast I now know that I'm not the only one with this "problem."

• KlthfKlthf Posts: 230 Member
    Right now we have less diversity in names for the sake of more diversity. If more diversity were the intention for adding those Asian names, then they have failed miserably, since the majority of the townies' names in my game seem to be coming from City Living, thus actually creating less diversity than intended. I do like to have some variety in names and I hope we will get names from more different cultures in the future, as long as these names are generated with more variety than what is the case right now.
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,748 Member
    edited April 2017
    @Cinebar because Asian and Africans don't normally come (sorry!) with blonde hair? How many Asian or African descendent people come with blonde/redish hair (NOT dyed) in reality

and techinally a lot of Asians guys no matter where in the world are supposedly descendant from Ghenis Kong
    6adMCGP.gif
    ts1depot wrote: »
    No game I have played has an "Asian Sim" population of anything approaching 90%. I suspect that there is a large amount of hyperbole at play here.

Of course it's hyperbole. Check out my post above where I post screenshots of my sims' address books. If there were 90% Asians being generated, how come so few of the townies that come up in their books are Japanese or Indians CL sims? How come, also, there aren't hordes of these sims showing up at parties, birthday invites, having picnics in backyards or passing in front of any households?

https://youtu.be/Nqv9k3jbtYU
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top