July 10 - Everyone ready for the Friday Highlight? It's ready for you here!
July 8 - A patch for The Sims 4 is ready for you to install it! Check the patch notes out here.
You are browsing an archived read-only section of the forums. The Sims 4 Help Center can now be found here.

Most of Sims are of foreign origin since CL[solved] by uninstalling CL

Comments

  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,538 Member
    LuvMySimz wrote: »
    LuvMySimz wrote: »
    celeste821 wrote: »
    I love diversity in the game. But I do feel the sims 4 has went overboard. The most frustrating thing about it is the game giving sims Asian names (quite often the same Asian name at that) to sims that are not Asian.

    what exactly is overboard? Because I feel the same way with the lack of diversity

    Exactly as I said, the game giving sims Asian names, when the sims themselves are clearly not Asian.

    Exactly!


    I have no problem with diversity in game, as I said back on page one I like this feature. I just don't think it's an accurate representation of diversity although it is trying, it's like as someone said the name generator is messed up.

    Which in my eyes all the Sims with those phony names are automaticly "foreign" Sims to me.

    I wouldn't call them "foreign" or phony, I just wish my game would use a bit more variation of names for my townies.
  • Erica87Erica87 Posts: 743 Member
    Don't get me wrong though, I would not mind at all if there were no real world resemblances at all because then we wouldn't have issues like the one we're debating in this thread in the first place because then no one would compare it to the real world. I'd be fine if we just threw away the whole concept of sims with real world ethnicities alltogether and instead said "This sims' identity is simsian (instead of asian)" because then nobody would be bothered by blonde asians (or simsians, in that case) as there was no attempt at replicating the real world and simsians could be anything we define them to be.
    CURRENTLY PLAYING: Forum mafias & Minecraft, mainly.
    Taking a break from the sims for a while!
  • LuvMySimzLuvMySimz Posts: 541 Member
    mebagl15 wrote: »
    I like the cultural diversity. If you don't like the name you can always change it in household management. My only problem with this issue is that most of these Sims of Asian origin are delegated to jobs like bartenders, butlers, maids, nannys, etc. I know that it's just the way the game generates NPC Sims.

    What has slightly bothered me is that we have all these Sims speaking Simlish, with Simlish signs, and then we give them English-American names. Why don't we have Simlish names for our Sims?



    You just said it! Why is the game only generating Asian Sims for those jobs bartenders, butlers, maids, nannys, etc since CL? -
    „ - Criticism may not be agreeable, but it's sometimes necessary - “

  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 31,712 Member
    1)Willow Creek looks like New Orleans' French Quarters 2)Oasis Spring's looks like Arizona 3)Widenburg looks like Germany 4) City in City Living looks like a cross between Tokyo and any other big city in the world.
    kikWQMd.jpg
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,163 Member
    meeoun wrote: »
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    celeste821 wrote: »
    I love diversity in the game. But I do feel the sims 4 has went overboard. The most frustrating thing about it is the game giving sims Asian names (quite often the same Asian name at that) to sims that are not Asian.

    what exactly is overboard? Because I feel the same way with the lack of diversity

    Exactly as I said, the game giving sims Asian names, when the sims themselves are clearly not Asian.

    What is "Asian" in SimNation?

    The same as what it is in the real world?

    I disagree. The universe in The Sims series is not our own. The world matches no known geography. There is magic, the undead, a discernable afterlife, carnivorous cow plants, aliens, etc. Why would ethnicity match our own?

    You're in a bubble if you honestly believe that this game wasn't meant to be a representation of an array of cultures. TS1 not so much, but certainly as this game progressed over the years it's catered to fit the familiarity of its players. The sims has made frequent nods to specific cultures since TS2 Vacation EP.

    That blaise remark doesn't work anymore with this game now. Especially if the team is implementing Indian gowns, kimonos, pho, falafel, etc in the game.

    Well, if you want to play the "anymore" card, then clearly at this stage the game serves as a mashup of real-world cultures in formulating the game world's own mythos. So unfortunately "Asian" sim doesn't really mean anything as a descriptor, does it? I mean, I may be bubble-dwelling and blase, but none of that changes the fact that all of this hemming and hawing about sims racial theory is ultimately meaningless given the nature of the game world.
  • SageRainWillowSageRainWillow Posts: 2,026 Member
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    celeste821 wrote: »
    I love diversity in the game. But I do feel the sims 4 has went overboard. The most frustrating thing about it is the game giving sims Asian names (quite often the same Asian name at that) to sims that are not Asian.

    what exactly is overboard? Because I feel the same way with the lack of diversity

    Exactly as I said, the game giving sims Asian names, when the sims themselves are clearly not Asian.

    What is "Asian" in SimNation?

    The same as what it is in the real world?

    I disagree. The universe in The Sims series is not our own. The world matches no known geography. There is magic, the undead, a discernable afterlife, carnivorous cow plants, aliens, etc. Why would ethnicity match our own?

    Why would their names match our own then? In TS3 you could travel to China, France, and Egypt. Yes, the developers use our cultures and even places, to create the game.

    The Sims 4 takes place in an alternate Sims Universe. Clearly the boundaries are not the same, nor is the ethnicity. As fascinating as all of this talk about Sims eugenics has been, it is ultimately moot. The universe of The Sims is not like our own. Sims themselves do not match our physiology. It seems natural that ethnicity and cultural norms would not match our own either. Everyone was celebrating Day of the Dead. A portion of the population has spontaneously turned into plant people. My latest legacy founder married a woman named Maki Fujita, who had blonde hair, brown eyes and epicanthic folds -- what you would call "slanted eyes". I see no issue with the matter.

    I know what epithantic folds are. There is no reason to talk down to me. The game has egg rolls, pho, nigiri, kimonos, and names that reflect real cultures. To think that the Sims are not "created in our image" is just ignorance. And in more recent iterations of The Sims, the developers have tried to make them more realistic to our real world.

    And I actually do celebrate Dia de los Muertos in real life, seeing as I am half Hispanic and most of my neighbors are Mexican. It's a block party around here.
    42959178421_482f6f6a5c_o.png

  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,538 Member
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    celeste821 wrote: »
    I love diversity in the game. But I do feel the sims 4 has went overboard. The most frustrating thing about it is the game giving sims Asian names (quite often the same Asian name at that) to sims that are not Asian.

    what exactly is overboard? Because I feel the same way with the lack of diversity

    Exactly as I said, the game giving sims Asian names, when the sims themselves are clearly not Asian.

    What is "Asian" in SimNation?

    The same as what it is in the real world?

    I disagree. The universe in The Sims series is not our own. The world matches no known geography. There is magic, the undead, a discernable afterlife, carnivorous cow plants, aliens, etc. Why would ethnicity match our own?

    Because the game uses some real life places as inspiration for the worlds. San Myshuno I'm sure I read was inspired by Japan, Los Angeles and some other cities. I read that a world in the sims 3 is based off of Iceland. I forget which one. In the sims 3 you can travel to Paris and Egypt. The game has always been inspired from real life. I have always assumed the sims universe would be American (I'm not American) because of things like the mail boxes. We don't have those in my country. Sim university has always been based off an American system I.e freshman, sophmore, having a "major". Again those things I'm used to from American to shows and movies but my country is nothing like that. I'm not criticising. I just don't agree the sims series matches no known Geography.
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,163 Member
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    celeste821 wrote: »
    I love diversity in the game. But I do feel the sims 4 has went overboard. The most frustrating thing about it is the game giving sims Asian names (quite often the same Asian name at that) to sims that are not Asian.

    what exactly is overboard? Because I feel the same way with the lack of diversity

    Exactly as I said, the game giving sims Asian names, when the sims themselves are clearly not Asian.

    What is "Asian" in SimNation?

    The same as what it is in the real world?

    I disagree. The universe in The Sims series is not our own. The world matches no known geography. There is magic, the undead, a discernable afterlife, carnivorous cow plants, aliens, etc. Why would ethnicity match our own?

    Why would their names match our own then? In TS3 you could travel to China, France, and Egypt. Yes, the developers use our cultures and even places, to create the game.

    The Sims 4 takes place in an alternate Sims Universe. Clearly the boundaries are not the same, nor is the ethnicity. As fascinating as all of this talk about Sims eugenics has been, it is ultimately moot. The universe of The Sims is not like our own. Sims themselves do not match our physiology. It seems natural that ethnicity and cultural norms would not match our own either. Everyone was celebrating Day of the Dead. A portion of the population has spontaneously turned into plant people. My latest legacy founder married a woman named Maki Fujita, who had blonde hair, brown eyes and epicanthic folds -- what you would call "slanted eyes". I see no issue with the matter.

    I know what epithantic folds are. There is no reason to talk down to me. The game has egg rolls, pho, nigiri, kimonos, and names that reflect real cultures. To think that the Sims are not "created in our image" is just ignorance. And in more recent iterations of The Sims, the developers have tried to make them more realistic to our real world.

    And I actually do celebrate Dia de los Muertos in real life, seeing as I am half Hispanic and most of my neighbors are Mexican. It's a block party around here.

    I may be ignorant, but even I know that sims are not human beings.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,538 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    celeste821 wrote: »
    I love diversity in the game. But I do feel the sims 4 has went overboard. The most frustrating thing about it is the game giving sims Asian names (quite often the same Asian name at that) to sims that are not Asian.

    what exactly is overboard? Because I feel the same way with the lack of diversity

    Exactly as I said, the game giving sims Asian names, when the sims themselves are clearly not Asian.

    What is "Asian" in SimNation?

    The same as what it is in the real world?

    I disagree. The universe in The Sims series is not our own. The world matches no known geography. There is magic, the undead, a discernable afterlife, carnivorous cow plants, aliens, etc. Why would ethnicity match our own?

    Why would their names match our own then? In TS3 you could travel to China, France, and Egypt. Yes, the developers use our cultures and even places, to create the game.

    The Sims 4 takes place in an alternate Sims Universe. Clearly the boundaries are not the same, nor is the ethnicity. As fascinating as all of this talk about Sims eugenics has been, it is ultimately moot. The universe of The Sims is not like our own. Sims themselves do not match our physiology. It seems natural that ethnicity and cultural norms would not match our own either. Everyone was celebrating Day of the Dead. A portion of the population has spontaneously turned into plant people. My latest legacy founder married a woman named Maki Fujita, who had blonde hair, brown eyes and epicanthic folds -- what you would call "slanted eyes". I see no issue with the matter.

    Do you even read what gurus say in interviews? They said they mimicked big cities like in Japan, viola you have Japanese townie names. But don't you think they should at least look Japanese and not blond hair, blue eyed Dutch or Irish? Most of the Sims in my game are brown, or black townies with Japanese names. And those who are blond hair still have a Japanese name. I tried to correct names in CAS with cheat but it won't stick. It will say I changed the name but when you mouse over them they keep the original game generated name.

    Exactly.
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,163 Member
    MadameLee wrote: »
    1)Willow Creek looks like New Orleans' French Quarters 2)Oasis Spring's looks like Arizona 3)Widenburg looks like Germany 4) City in City Living looks like a cross between Tokyo and any other big city in the world.

    And they're all near enough to each other that sims can travel from one place to another. SimNation, in that sense, is like Springfield from The Simpsons. It is everywhere an nowhere, as it boasts geographic features and influences from places that no one place contains. It is, as I said, a mash-up of various locations, cultures and ethnicity. It is only logical that its inhabitants are similar. No pun intended.
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 31,712 Member
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    meeoun wrote: »
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    celeste821 wrote: »
    I love diversity in the game. But I do feel the sims 4 has went overboard. The most frustrating thing about it is the game giving sims Asian names (quite often the same Asian name at that) to sims that are not Asian.

    what exactly is overboard? Because I feel the same way with the lack of diversity

    Exactly as I said, the game giving sims Asian names, when the sims themselves are clearly not Asian.

    What is "Asian" in SimNation?

    The same as what it is in the real world?

    I disagree. The universe in The Sims series is not our own. The world matches no known geography. There is magic, the undead, a discernable afterlife, carnivorous cow plants, aliens, etc. Why would ethnicity match our own?

    You're in a bubble if you honestly believe that this game wasn't meant to be a representation of an array of cultures. TS1 not so much, but certainly as this game progressed over the years it's catered to fit the familiarity of its players. The sims has made frequent nods to specific cultures since TS2 Vacation EP.

    That blaise remark doesn't work anymore with this game now. Especially if the team is implementing Indian gowns, kimonos, pho, falafel, etc in the game.

    Well, if you want to play the "anymore" card, then clearly at this stage the game serves as a mashup of real-world cultures in formulating the game world's own mythos. So unfortunately "Asian" sim doesn't really mean anything as a descriptor, does it? I mean, I may be bubble-dwelling and blase, but none of that changes the fact that all of this hemming and hawing about sims racial theory is ultimately meaningless given the nature of the game world.

    I'm not Asian but I have 3 half-Chinese half-Canadian cousins and if the eldest of those 3 cousin ever get married to her long-term boyfriend (and if they have children), I will probably have 1/3 Chinese 1/3 Canadian and 1/2 Indian cousin(s) once removed and 1)I have Asian food on Chinese New Year 2)Once a week my parents&I try to have Asian food of some sort since my Mom grew up mostly in South Korea as a child. (Ie and we look nothing like Asians)
    kikWQMd.jpg
  • simmer_whoviansimmer_whovian Posts: 275 Member
    I actually like the foreign names they added with City Living. The only time it bugs me a little is for example when an Asian name is given to a Sim who isn't Asian, but even then I can find a way to justify it by accepting the head canon that this Sim is adopted or comes from a multi-cultural family. I'm not sure I pronounce all the CL names correctly either, but that doesn't bother me too much. I just love diversity both in my game and in real life. I come from a predominantly white country, but prefer to play with diverse Sims households and pretty much all of my families are mixed race. So no, personally I have no problem with Sims spawning with the names that came with CL, nor do I have a problem with too many Sims of any race or nationality. My game is an "all are welcome" zone.
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,163 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    celeste821 wrote: »
    I love diversity in the game. But I do feel the sims 4 has went overboard. The most frustrating thing about it is the game giving sims Asian names (quite often the same Asian name at that) to sims that are not Asian.

    what exactly is overboard? Because I feel the same way with the lack of diversity

    Exactly as I said, the game giving sims Asian names, when the sims themselves are clearly not Asian.

    What is "Asian" in SimNation?

    The same as what it is in the real world?

    I disagree. The universe in The Sims series is not our own. The world matches no known geography. There is magic, the undead, a discernable afterlife, carnivorous cow plants, aliens, etc. Why would ethnicity match our own?

    Why would their names match our own then? In TS3 you could travel to China, France, and Egypt. Yes, the developers use our cultures and even places, to create the game.

    The Sims 4 takes place in an alternate Sims Universe. Clearly the boundaries are not the same, nor is the ethnicity. As fascinating as all of this talk about Sims eugenics has been, it is ultimately moot. The universe of The Sims is not like our own. Sims themselves do not match our physiology. It seems natural that ethnicity and cultural norms would not match our own either. Everyone was celebrating Day of the Dead. A portion of the population has spontaneously turned into plant people. My latest legacy founder married a woman named Maki Fujita, who had blonde hair, brown eyes and epicanthic folds -- what you would call "slanted eyes". I see no issue with the matter.

    Do you even read what gurus say in interviews? They said they mimicked big cities like in Japan, viola you have Japanese townie names. But don't you think they should at least look Japanese and not blond hair, blue eyed Dutch or Irish? Most of the Sims in my game are brown, or black townies with Japanese names. And those who are blond hair still have a Japanese name. I tried to correct names in CAS with cheat but it won't stick. It will say I changed the name but when you mouse over them they keep the original game generated name.

    Although an ignorant, bubble-dwelling, blase, non-community member, I do read about The Sims. As I have said before, the game universe incorporates real-world cultures in a way that may not resemble our real world. Are sims genetics our genetics? What if blonde hair carries the dominant gene instead of black? It seems to be that way in The Sims 4. I see no issue with it.

    Of course, if you are set on pursuing real-world ethnic purity the devs have given rather flexible tools when it comes to editing the sims in your world. I would suggest that be your best option at this juncture.
  • meeounmeeoun Posts: 2,173 Member
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    meeoun wrote: »
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    celeste821 wrote: »
    I love diversity in the game. But I do feel the sims 4 has went overboard. The most frustrating thing about it is the game giving sims Asian names (quite often the same Asian name at that) to sims that are not Asian.

    what exactly is overboard? Because I feel the same way with the lack of diversity

    Exactly as I said, the game giving sims Asian names, when the sims themselves are clearly not Asian.

    What is "Asian" in SimNation?

    The same as what it is in the real world?

    I disagree. The universe in The Sims series is not our own. The world matches no known geography. There is magic, the undead, a discernable afterlife, carnivorous cow plants, aliens, etc. Why would ethnicity match our own?

    You're in a bubble if you honestly believe that this game wasn't meant to be a representation of an array of cultures. TS1 not so much, but certainly as this game progressed over the years it's catered to fit the familiarity of its players. The sims has made frequent nods to specific cultures since TS2 Vacation EP.

    That blaise remark doesn't work anymore with this game now. Especially if the team is implementing Indian gowns, kimonos, pho, falafel, etc in the game.

    Well, if you want to play the "anymore" card, then clearly at this stage the game serves as a mashup of real-world cultures in formulating the game world's own mythos. So unfortunately "Asian" sim doesn't really mean anything as a descriptor, does it? I mean, I may be bubble-dwelling and blase, but none of that changes the fact that all of this hemming and hawing about sims racial theory is ultimately meaningless given the nature of the game world.

    We're not talking about race. It's ethnicity and culture. And no, it's not meaningless because to some people, culture actually means something.

    The sims world is suppose to be comedic representation of people. The studio turned this game into a different animal introducing aspects of real culture into the game. If they're gonna get that specific now, they should do it right and respectful.
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 31,712 Member
    Bella is dark-skinned ( presume ancestors either from middle of India or from somewhere in the Middle-East) Bob is presumbley of African descendent, Catelenine family is Spanish, Bjersgen is a German sounding name ,
    kikWQMd.jpg
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,163 Member
    meeoun wrote: »
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    meeoun wrote: »
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    celeste821 wrote: »
    I love diversity in the game. But I do feel the sims 4 has went overboard. The most frustrating thing about it is the game giving sims Asian names (quite often the same Asian name at that) to sims that are not Asian.

    what exactly is overboard? Because I feel the same way with the lack of diversity

    Exactly as I said, the game giving sims Asian names, when the sims themselves are clearly not Asian.

    What is "Asian" in SimNation?

    The same as what it is in the real world?

    I disagree. The universe in The Sims series is not our own. The world matches no known geography. There is magic, the undead, a discernable afterlife, carnivorous cow plants, aliens, etc. Why would ethnicity match our own?

    You're in a bubble if you honestly believe that this game wasn't meant to be a representation of an array of cultures. TS1 not so much, but certainly as this game progressed over the years it's catered to fit the familiarity of its players. The sims has made frequent nods to specific cultures since TS2 Vacation EP.

    That blaise remark doesn't work anymore with this game now. Especially if the team is implementing Indian gowns, kimonos, pho, falafel, etc in the game.

    Well, if you want to play the "anymore" card, then clearly at this stage the game serves as a mashup of real-world cultures in formulating the game world's own mythos. So unfortunately "Asian" sim doesn't really mean anything as a descriptor, does it? I mean, I may be bubble-dwelling and blase, but none of that changes the fact that all of this hemming and hawing about sims racial theory is ultimately meaningless given the nature of the game world.

    We're not talking about race. It's ethnicity and culture. And no, it's not meaningless because to some people, culture actually means something.

    The sims world is suppose to be comedic representation of people. The studio turned this game into a different animal introducing aspects of real culture into the game. If they're gonna get that specific now, they should do it right and respectful.

    I ignorantly disagree in the most blase manner possible. I see it as an amalgamation of ethnicities and cultures from the real world that make the game universe stand out. This is much like many fictitious universes in gaming. I do not see it as an affront to sensibility, as SimNation does not represent reality.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 31,789 Member
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    celeste821 wrote: »
    I love diversity in the game. But I do feel the sims 4 has went overboard. The most frustrating thing about it is the game giving sims Asian names (quite often the same Asian name at that) to sims that are not Asian.

    what exactly is overboard? Because I feel the same way with the lack of diversity

    Exactly as I said, the game giving sims Asian names, when the sims themselves are clearly not Asian.

    What is "Asian" in SimNation?

    The same as what it is in the real world?

    I disagree. The universe in The Sims series is not our own. The world matches no known geography. There is magic, the undead, a discernable afterlife, carnivorous cow plants, aliens, etc. Why would ethnicity match our own?

    Why would their names match our own then? In TS3 you could travel to China, France, and Egypt. Yes, the developers use our cultures and even places, to create the game.

    The Sims 4 takes place in an alternate Sims Universe. Clearly the boundaries are not the same, nor is the ethnicity. As fascinating as all of this talk about Sims eugenics has been, it is ultimately moot. The universe of The Sims is not like our own. Sims themselves do not match our physiology. It seems natural that ethnicity and cultural norms would not match our own either. Everyone was celebrating Day of the Dead. A portion of the population has spontaneously turned into plant people. My latest legacy founder married a woman named Maki Fujita, who had blonde hair, brown eyes and epicanthic folds -- what you would call "slanted eyes". I see no issue with the matter.

    Do you even read what gurus say in interviews? They said they mimicked big cities like in Japan, viola you have Japanese townie names. But don't you think they should at least look Japanese and not blond hair, blue eyed Dutch or Irish? Most of the Sims in my game are brown, or black townies with Japanese names. And those who are blond hair still have a Japanese name. I tried to correct names in CAS with cheat but it won't stick. It will say I changed the name but when you mouse over them they keep the original game generated name.

    Although an ignorant, bubble-dwelling, blase, non-community member, I do read about The Sims. As I have said before, the game universe incorporates real-world cultures in a way that may not resemble our real world. Are sims genetics our genetics? What if blonde hair carries the dominant gene instead of black? It seems to be that way in The Sims 4. I see no issue with it.

    Of course, if you are set on pursuing real-world ethnic purity the devs have given rather flexible tools when it comes to editing the sims in your world. I would suggest that be your best option at this juncture.

    I just want the game to generate some Sims who have names I can pronounce. I don't care if they are black, brown, or white. In The Sims there were townies generated who had the Sims as last name. That is a well known, common black name in America. And the game generated black townies with that name. I like some things to make sense. I really can't suspend my disbelief if they are African American and have a Japanese name. I would think Waters, or Sims, or Jenkins etc. Sorry, that's the way my mind works.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/958714/cinebar-custom-content-clothes-updating-links/p1


  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,163 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    celeste821 wrote: »
    I love diversity in the game. But I do feel the sims 4 has went overboard. The most frustrating thing about it is the game giving sims Asian names (quite often the same Asian name at that) to sims that are not Asian.

    what exactly is overboard? Because I feel the same way with the lack of diversity

    Exactly as I said, the game giving sims Asian names, when the sims themselves are clearly not Asian.

    What is "Asian" in SimNation?

    The same as what it is in the real world?

    I disagree. The universe in The Sims series is not our own. The world matches no known geography. There is magic, the undead, a discernable afterlife, carnivorous cow plants, aliens, etc. Why would ethnicity match our own?

    Why would their names match our own then? In TS3 you could travel to China, France, and Egypt. Yes, the developers use our cultures and even places, to create the game.

    The Sims 4 takes place in an alternate Sims Universe. Clearly the boundaries are not the same, nor is the ethnicity. As fascinating as all of this talk about Sims eugenics has been, it is ultimately moot. The universe of The Sims is not like our own. Sims themselves do not match our physiology. It seems natural that ethnicity and cultural norms would not match our own either. Everyone was celebrating Day of the Dead. A portion of the population has spontaneously turned into plant people. My latest legacy founder married a woman named Maki Fujita, who had blonde hair, brown eyes and epicanthic folds -- what you would call "slanted eyes". I see no issue with the matter.

    Do you even read what gurus say in interviews? They said they mimicked big cities like in Japan, viola you have Japanese townie names. But don't you think they should at least look Japanese and not blond hair, blue eyed Dutch or Irish? Most of the Sims in my game are brown, or black townies with Japanese names. And those who are blond hair still have a Japanese name. I tried to correct names in CAS with cheat but it won't stick. It will say I changed the name but when you mouse over them they keep the original game generated name.

    Although an ignorant, bubble-dwelling, blase, non-community member, I do read about The Sims. As I have said before, the game universe incorporates real-world cultures in a way that may not resemble our real world. Are sims genetics our genetics? What if blonde hair carries the dominant gene instead of black? It seems to be that way in The Sims 4. I see no issue with it.

    Of course, if you are set on pursuing real-world ethnic purity the devs have given rather flexible tools when it comes to editing the sims in your world. I would suggest that be your best option at this juncture.

    I just want the game to generate some Sims who have names I can pronounce. I don't care if they are black, brown, or white. In The Sims there were townies generated who had the Sims as last name. That is a well known, common black name in America. And the game generated black townies with that name. I like some things to make sense. I really can't suspend my disbelief if they are African American and have a Japanese name. I would think Waters, or Sims, or Jenkins etc. Sorry, that's the way my mind works.

    Well then I defer to your superior judgement.
  • NeonHighwaysNeonHighways Posts: 1,506 Member
    I have no problem with different races in my game, I think it's great. My issue is that since CL every townie has an asian name, even if they don't look asian. I play my game in portuguese because I'm brazilian, and before CL, we had a minimal name pool, about 200 for each gender, and all of them were brazilian names. I didn't like that as everyone ended up with the same last name, and the first names repeated a lot. I think in you guy's english games they had about 1.000+ first names for each gender, and they had some variety to it. But now they introduced new names (none of them english names) and every townie has an asian name. I think they are hard to pronounce and clearly not every person or sim comes from asian descent, so it is unrealistic. I think variety and multiculturalism is great but they went about it in the wrong way, in a way that you are very unlikely to see a sim with an american name (or in my case brazilian). I don't know if they see this as a bug, and they are not fixing many of the bugs introduced with CL anyway, so who knows if they'll get around giving this a second look.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,538 Member
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    meeoun wrote: »
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    meeoun wrote: »
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    celeste821 wrote: »
    I love diversity in the game. But I do feel the sims 4 has went overboard. The most frustrating thing about it is the game giving sims Asian names (quite often the same Asian name at that) to sims that are not Asian.

    what exactly is overboard? Because I feel the same way with the lack of diversity

    Exactly as I said, the game giving sims Asian names, when the sims themselves are clearly not Asian.

    What is "Asian" in SimNation?

    The same as what it is in the real world?

    I disagree. The universe in The Sims series is not our own. The world matches no known geography. There is magic, the undead, a discernable afterlife, carnivorous cow plants, aliens, etc. Why would ethnicity match our own?

    You're in a bubble if you honestly believe that this game wasn't meant to be a representation of an array of cultures. TS1 not so much, but certainly as this game progressed over the years it's catered to fit the familiarity of its players. The sims has made frequent nods to specific cultures since TS2 Vacation EP.

    That blaise remark doesn't work anymore with this game now. Especially if the team is implementing Indian gowns, kimonos, pho, falafel, etc in the game.

    Well, if you want to play the "anymore" card, then clearly at this stage the game serves as a mashup of real-world cultures in formulating the game world's own mythos. So unfortunately "Asian" sim doesn't really mean anything as a descriptor, does it? I mean, I may be bubble-dwelling and blase, but none of that changes the fact that all of this hemming and hawing about sims racial theory is ultimately meaningless given the nature of the game world.

    We're not talking about race. It's ethnicity and culture. And no, it's not meaningless because to some people, culture actually means something.

    The sims world is suppose to be comedic representation of people. The studio turned this game into a different animal introducing aspects of real culture into the game. If they're gonna get that specific now, they should do it right and respectful.

    I ignorantly disagree in the most blase manner possible. I see it as an amalgamation of ethnicities and cultures from the real world that make the game universe stand out. This is much like many fictitious universes in gaming. I do not see it as an affront to sensibility, as SimNation does not represent reality.

    What is Sim Nation? Perhaps your game doesn't represent reality, but there are plenty of people whose games do represent reality. The game is a life simulator!
  • LuvMySimzLuvMySimz Posts: 541 Member
    MadameLee wrote: »
    Bella is dark-skinned ( presume ancestors either from middle of India or from somewhere in the Middle-East) Bob is presumbley of African descendent, Catelenine family is Spanish, Bjersgen is a German sounding name ,

    I can give you an update on the Bjersgen name. Bjersgen is not german, it's from Denmark.
    „ - Criticism may not be agreeable, but it's sometimes necessary - “

  • CiarassimsCiarassims Posts: 3,546 Member
    All the generated ones have Chinese names in my game?
    giphy_1.gif
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,163 Member
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    meeoun wrote: »
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    meeoun wrote: »
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    celeste821 wrote: »
    I love diversity in the game. But I do feel the sims 4 has went overboard. The most frustrating thing about it is the game giving sims Asian names (quite often the same Asian name at that) to sims that are not Asian.

    what exactly is overboard? Because I feel the same way with the lack of diversity

    Exactly as I said, the game giving sims Asian names, when the sims themselves are clearly not Asian.

    What is "Asian" in SimNation?

    The same as what it is in the real world?

    I disagree. The universe in The Sims series is not our own. The world matches no known geography. There is magic, the undead, a discernable afterlife, carnivorous cow plants, aliens, etc. Why would ethnicity match our own?

    You're in a bubble if you honestly believe that this game wasn't meant to be a representation of an array of cultures. TS1 not so much, but certainly as this game progressed over the years it's catered to fit the familiarity of its players. The sims has made frequent nods to specific cultures since TS2 Vacation EP.

    That blaise remark doesn't work anymore with this game now. Especially if the team is implementing Indian gowns, kimonos, pho, falafel, etc in the game.

    Well, if you want to play the "anymore" card, then clearly at this stage the game serves as a mashup of real-world cultures in formulating the game world's own mythos. So unfortunately "Asian" sim doesn't really mean anything as a descriptor, does it? I mean, I may be bubble-dwelling and blase, but none of that changes the fact that all of this hemming and hawing about sims racial theory is ultimately meaningless given the nature of the game world.

    We're not talking about race. It's ethnicity and culture. And no, it's not meaningless because to some people, culture actually means something.

    The sims world is suppose to be comedic representation of people. The studio turned this game into a different animal introducing aspects of real culture into the game. If they're gonna get that specific now, they should do it right and respectful.

    I ignorantly disagree in the most blase manner possible. I see it as an amalgamation of ethnicities and cultures from the real world that make the game universe stand out. This is much like many fictitious universes in gaming. I do not see it as an affront to sensibility, as SimNation does not represent reality.

    What is Sim Nation? Perhaps your game doesn't represent reality, but there are plenty of people whose games do represent reality. The game is a life simulator!

    SimNation is where the game takes place.

    http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/SimNation

    Yes, The Sims has canon and lore.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top