Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Most of Sims are of foreign origin since CL[solved] by uninstalling CL

Comments

• SageRainWillowSageRainWillow Posts: 2,221 Member
    This. This is my problem:

34042112462_d593a4691b_o.png
    34068510921_3c22926c4b_o.png

His name it Tetsu Wantanabe. Aside from being dressed hideously, does he look like a very accurate representation of most Japanese men? However, my game generated about 5 other males with the Wantanabe surname all with goatees... even one with the multi-colored dreads. That's my problem.

Asian cultures are beautiful. It's not that I don't want them in my game. I just want them to LOOK more representative of themselves. My aunt is from Hong Kong (adopted) and my best friend is half Chinese/Japanese. They don't look like this. Sure, anyone can dye their hair. That's fine. But there's something seriously off about Maxis skin tones and eye shapes. I think it's also the facial bone structures that throw it off too. Every culture has certain characteristics in skull shape. Archaeologists even use a huge catalog of skull shapes to determine the ethnicity of found skeletons.

That's what bothers me. I understand that not all cultures have a wide variety of first and last names. (How many Muhammads and Kims are out there?) So to English countries, all the names sound the same because some areas of the world don't have as large of a selection as say, America. It's important to keep in mind that America is comprised of so many cultures that first names and surnames have much more variety here. I see the last name Gonzalez or Hernandez, and that feels as American to me as Smith or Jones.

When I look at townies, I see potential mates. If the races better represented themselves, and there was more diversity between all races, I would be fine with that. But the guy in my pictures above is sleeping with no one. I might play a blended family, but that means I want blended genetics. A blonde, blue eyed man with pale skin and Asian eyes is not exactly giving me much to work with.
    42959178421_482f6f6a5c_o.png

• OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    LuvMySimz wrote: »
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    The topic is NOT ABOUT COLOR!

Is that so?
    Now I'm not a racist or anything like that, but it bothers me, because one one hand you could take it as a discrimination towards foreign people like in real life, but on the other hand I would like to see these jobs given to white caucasian Sims also like it was before, which would make it kinda even.

Yes that is so! I don't know why you people jumping to conclutions. The game is generating too many Asian Sims with silly names and I don't care if they are green yellow black red or blue. It's definitely too many of one kind. That's the topic!

So it isn't about 'color', just about ethnicity, which is what 'color' is a euphemism for. I assume this is trolling. Not bad bait. You got four pages out of the community. The "I'm not a racist racist" act is starting to wear thin though.

Look, you can edit them. Go change them to all blonde haired, blue eyed ubermen. Name them Bill Jones or Sue Smith. Even give them backstories in their bio about enjoying Bon Jovi and Nutella.
  • LuvMySimzLuvMySimz Posts: 642 Member
    And here goes the goatee beard style again. I see this on most of my Sims. Very annoying.
    „ - Criticism may not be agreeable, but it's sometimes necessary - “

• Erica87Erica87 Posts: 743 Member
    To be honest they might be able to do a quick fix of the name issue by replacing names like Srivastani with the much more common Gupta, Patel or Mehta and Wantanabe with the actual common name Watanabe (there's an n too much in the EA name) or easier to pronounce names like Yoshida, Ito or Ikeda.
    CURRENTLY PLAYING: Forum mafias & Minecraft, mainly.
    Taking a break from the sims for a while!
  • ts1depotts1depot Posts: 1,438 Member
    edited April 2017
    The only legitimate complaints I'm seeing here is the issue with having blonde Asians. Not that there aren't blonde Japanese (they dye their hair, too). It's just not very typical of them to have platinum blonde hair. In fact, from what I've heard, in Japan it's still kind of frowned upon on traditional circles to dye your hair anything lighter than a dark brown.

Also, I can understand the point about the overly complicated foreign names. Even in the US, where we embrace diversity (or used to :| ), it's not uncommon for foreigners (or people with foreign names) to Americanize their names or go by a nickname if their real names are too hard to pronounce for most. So I can see maybe toning down some of the foreign names a bit. There's nothing wrong with having Japanese and Indian sims with names like Amy Ishikawa and John Singh or whatever. I have two, in fact, a Japanese sim named Curtis and an Indian named Kent.

That all aside, all the other comments strike me as bogus, especially the picture some people are trying to paint that the game is being completely overrun with Asians (largely Japanese and Indian).

Here is the smoking gun. If there was a legitimate case of "too many CL Japanese and Indian sims" being foisted into the game at the expense of your precious white sims, it would be reflected in your sims' address book. Right? Because there would be so many of them that your sims would keep bumping into them all the time and they would outnumber the other townies.

Case in point: here are both Curtis' and Sharon's address books. The arrows point to CL "foreign" sims. Keep in mind that I don't micro manage my relationships, so these are all generated from Sharon and Curtis just going about their business meeting other sims when I'm not playing them.

cl-townies3.jpg

cl-townies.jpg

Here is Luz's address book. Luz is a special case because she is a sim that shows up everywhere in my game (I guess because she's an athletic sim?). So she's always jogging in front of other households that I play, she's at all the CL festivals, and she's always at the basketball court at the Old Salt House. In other words, she comes across and interacts with nearly the entire population of the game. Now look at her address book! Ooo, look at all the Japanese and Indian CL townies! Not!

cl-townies2.jpg

Another reason why these complaints sound bogus to me is that I rarely see these ethnic townies overrunning BBQ picnics or passing by in front my houses or parties. For example, I played one of my households today and there was only one CL ethnic sim who passed. Everyone else were either my sims or townies from GT, like Jacques Villareal.

Here is a party at Bella's that my sims were invited to. Where are all the "foreign" townies everyone is talking about? Why didn't they show up when there are "so many of them" being generated?

04-16-17_10-39-16PM_1.png

The only place where the ethnic townies are prevalent is San Myshuno. They are the next door neighbors, landlords, buskers and food vendors there. But they're not everywhere overrunning the game. Those "foreign townies" are being placed in the game at the same frequency as the European GT townies.

So all of these complaints sound to me like the type of thing that I often see on the internet now, where there will be a game, movie or TV show will have just a small percentage of minorities in it. Right off the bat, there will always be that contingent instantly ranting that the entire thing is being completely overrun by "too many of them." Yet do the math and these minorities are always just 10% of whatever it is they're watching but because they're so upset by seeing a larger proportion of minorities than they're used to (1%), it's the same as the thing being completely taken over.

I'm not going to pass judgement on anyone who obviously has problems handling seeing certain types of people in their neck of the woods. I just wish they would be more honest about it rather than trying to make it sound as if whatever personal issues they may have is really an "objective problem" that needs to be fixed. It's not an objective problem. It's a personal one.
    EiFlric.png

Is that so?
    Now I'm not a racist or anything like that, but it bothers me, because one one hand you could take it as a discrimination towards foreign people like in real life, but on the other hand I would like to see these jobs given to white caucasian Sims also like it was before, which would make it kinda even.

Yes that is so! I don't know why you people jumping to conclutions. The game is generating too many Asian Sims with silly names and I don't care if they are green yellow black red or blue. It's definitely too many of one kind. That's the topic!

So it isn't about 'color', just about ethnicity, which is what 'color' is a euphemism for. I assume this is trolling. Not bad bait. You got four pages out of the community. The "I'm not a racist racist" act is starting to wear thin though.

Look, you can edit them. Go change them to all blonde haired, blue eyed ubermen. Name them Bill Jones or Sue Smith. Even give them backstories in their bio about enjoying Bon Jovi and Nutella.

If not wanting 90 % of my game being populated with Asian Sims makes me a racist, so be it. I can live with that.

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited April 2017
    This. This is my problem:

34042112462_d593a4691b_o.png
    34068510921_3c22926c4b_o.png

His name it Tetsu Wantanabe. Aside from being dressed hideously, does he look like a very accurate representation of most Japanese men? However, my game generated about 5 other males with the Wantanabe surname all with goatees... even one with the multi-colored dreads. That's my problem.

Asian cultures are beautiful. It's not that I don't want them in my game. I just want them to LOOK more representative of themselves. My aunt is from Hong Kong (adopted) and my best friend is half Chinese/Japanese. They don't look like this. Sure, anyone can dye their hair. That's fine. But there's something seriously off about Maxis skin tones and eye shapes. I think it's also the facial bone structures that throw it off too. Every culture has certain characteristics in skull shape. Archaeologists even use a huge catalog of skull shapes to determine the ethnicity of found skeletons.

That's what bothers me. I understand that not all cultures have a wide variety of first and last names. (How many Muhammads and Kims are out there?) So to English countries, all the names sound the same because some areas of the world don't have as large of a selection as say, America. It's important to keep in mind that America is comprised of so many cultures that first names and surnames have much more variety here. I see the last name Gonzalez or Hernandez, and that feels as American to me as Smith or Jones.

When I look at townies, I see potential mates. If the races better represented themselves, and there was more diversity between all races, I would be fine with that. But the guy in my pictures above is sleeping with no one. I might play a blended family, but that means I want blended genetics. A blonde, blue eyed man with pale skin and Asian eyes is not exactly giving me much to work with.

At the moment I only have one male with that surname and he is heavy set and looks more like he would be another Bob Newbie instead of the name he has. I can't even pronounce his first name. I have a blond female who I don't even know how to start to pronounce her name. I sometimes think is that real? ETA: In my area I would see more Latin names and Mexican names and more German and Irish. It's hard for me to play TS4 since CL when they all generate the same last names and aren't even kin, and or don't match their name.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

Is that so?

If not wanting 90 % of my game being populated with Asian Sims makes me a racist, so be it. I can live with that.

No game I have played has an "Asian Sim" population of anything approaching 90%. I suspect that there is a large amount of hyperbole at play here.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Erica87 wrote: »
    To be honest they might be able to do a quick fix of the name issue by replacing names like Srivastani with the much more common Gupta, Patel or Mehta and Wantanabe with the actual common name Watanabe (there's an n too much in the EA name) or easier to pronounce names like Yoshida, Ito or Ikeda.

Yep, and why I wonder half the time if the names are actually real when they have too many r's, too many n's etc.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    celeste821 wrote: »
    I love diversity in the game. But I do feel the sims 4 has went overboard. The most frustrating thing about it is the game giving sims Asian names (quite often the same Asian name at that) to sims that are not Asian.

what exactly is overboard? Because I feel the same way with the lack of diversity

Exactly as I said, the game giving sims Asian names, when the sims themselves are clearly not Asian.
    I love diversity in the game. But I do feel the sims 4 has went overboard. The most frustrating thing about it is the game giving sims Asian names (quite often the same Asian name at that) to sims that are not Asian.

what exactly is overboard? Because I feel the same way with the lack of diversity

Exactly as I said, the game giving sims Asian names, when the sims themselves are clearly not Asian.

What is "Asian" in SimNation?

The same as what it is in the real world?
    I'm surprised that no "smarty" has yet asked me if I use mods, and if so to take them out, repair my game, etc. LOL
    In my brand new game all the game generates are "foreign" Sims. The only Sims that are still the same are the ones living in WC WB. The rest is all new and asian looking Sims with odd names. Even Asian looking Vampires walk around.

Exactly!

I disagree. The universe in The Sims series is not our own. The world matches no known geography. There is magic, the undead, a discernable afterlife, carnivorous cow plants, aliens, etc. Why would ethnicity match our own?
    edited April 2017

Exactly!

I have no problem with diversity in game, as I said back on page one I like this feature. I just don't think it's an accurate representation of diversity although it is trying, it's like as someone said the name generator is messed up.
  • SageRainWillowSageRainWillow Posts: 2,221 Member
    edited April 2017

I disagree. The universe in The Sims series is not our own. The world matches no known geography. There is magic, the undead, a discernable afterlife, carnivorous cow plants, aliens, etc. Why would ethnicity match our own?

Why would their names match our own then? In TS3 you could travel to China, France, and Egypt. Yes, the developers use our cultures and even places, to create the game.
    42959178421_482f6f6a5c_o.png

edited April 2017

Exactly!

I have no problem with diversity in game, as I said back on page one I like this feature. I just don't think it's an accurate representation of diversity although it is trying, it's like as someone said the name generator is messed up.

Which in my eyes all the Sims with those phony names are automaticly "foreign" Sims to me.

• ts1depotts1depot Posts: 1,438 Member
    edited April 2017
    No game I have played has an "Asian Sim" population of anything approaching 90%. I suspect that there is a large amount of hyperbole at play here.

Of course it's hyperbole. Check out my post above where I post screenshots of my sims' address books. If there were 90% Asians being generated, how come so few of the townies that come up in their books are Japanese or Indians CL sims? How come, also, there aren't hordes of these sims showing up at parties, birthday invites, having picnics in backyards or passing in front of any households?

EiFlric.png
  • mebagl15mebagl15 Posts: 563 Member
    edited April 2017
    I like the cultural diversity. If you don't like the name you can always change it in household management. My only problem with this issue is that most of these Sims of Asian origin are delegated to jobs like bartenders, butlers, maids, nannys, etc. I know that it's just the way the game generates NPC Sims.

What has slightly bothered me is that we have all these Sims speaking Simlish, with Simlish signs, and then we give them English-American names. Why don't we have Simlish names for our Sims?

• Erica87Erica87 Posts: 743 Member

Because of places like Champs Le Sims, Al Simhara, Shang Simla and Windenburg. They are clearly based on real places architecture wise and the sims in the first three all have a respective matching ethnicity. Sure sims isn't meant to resemble our real world 100% but there are some parallels.
    CURRENTLY PLAYING: Forum mafias & Minecraft, mainly.
    Taking a break from the sims for a while!
    ts1depot wrote: »

Of course it's hyperbole. Check out my post above where I post screenshots of my sims' address books. If there were 90% Asians being generated, how come so few of the townies that come up in their books are Japanese or Indians CL sims? How come, also, there aren't hordes of these sims showing up at parties, birthday invites, having picnics in backyards or passing in front of any households?

Good for you if your game is not like that. All I can say that every second Sim in towns is in my game.

• meeounmeeoun Posts: 2,173 Member
    edited April 2017

You're in a bubble if you honestly believe that this game wasn't meant to be a representation of an array of cultures. TS1 not so much, but certainly as this game progressed over the years it's catered to fit the familiarity of its players. The sims has made frequent nods to specific cultures since TS2 Vacation EP.

That blaise remark doesn't work anymore with this game now. Especially if the team is implementing Indian gowns, kimonos, pho, falafel, etc in the game.

Why would their names match our own then? In TS3 you could travel to China, France, and Egypt. Yes, the developers use our cultures and even places, to create the game.

The Sims 4 takes place in an alternate Sims Universe. Clearly the boundaries are not the same, nor is the ethnicity. As fascinating as all of this talk about Sims eugenics has been, it is ultimately moot. The universe of The Sims is not like our own. Sims themselves do not match our physiology. It seems natural that ethnicity and cultural norms would not match our own either. Everyone was celebrating Day of the Dead. A portion of the population has spontaneously turned into plant people. My latest legacy founder married a woman named Maki Fujita, who had blonde hair, brown eyes and epicanthic folds -- what you would call "slanted eyes". I see no issue with the matter.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top