Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Most of Sims are of foreign origin since CL[solved] by uninstalling CL

Comments

• SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    LuvMySimz wrote: »
    Simpkin wrote: »
    Btw if people don't want to say 'non-white' you can try POC (person of colour) rather than just 'foreigners'.
    I'm gonna stick with foreign cause I don't have a problem with "poc names", just non english names. I hate everybody! lol But as I said even english names are foreign for me and I don't even like my homecountry's names.

Wanting more English names in the mix I can understand that but only wanting English names I don't think they would do because they want to cater to more people.

Yeah but the names apparently change depending on which language you play in. I once played the game in russian, accidentally, and it had russian names. So I think if the game is played in english it should have english names.

You saying that, I play my game in German and the game has not generated 1 German Name since CL. (which doesn't really bother me)

oh do you get english names then or...? Wonder what it's like in other languages.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • LuvMySimzLuvMySimz Posts: 642 Member
    Erica87 wrote: »

Most of these pictures show people. They are human. Your sentence makes it sound like they're plants!

hahaha serious? guess I'm a foreign too who meets lots of people misunderstanding things ;)

I'm not misunderstanding you, your sentence is just weird. I get what you wanted to say but logically your sentence doesn't really make sense because it does require human intervention to create a human. The way you put it sounded like you were talking about a remote part of a rain forest... "Ohh, nature is so beautiful if humans don't intervene..." It's just a strange way to put it, or at least it seems like that for me. I totally know what you meant to say.

What did I meant to say? - If you read back some posts from this person, then maybe you get why I said the way I said it.
    He posted "poc" with blond/red hair and blue eyes. Nature's creation! Of course this can happen.
    „ - Criticism may not be agreeable, but it's sometimes necessary - “

• ratsrbestratsrbest Posts: 579 Member
    I bought the Base Game, GT and CL all around the same time so I didn't realise the Asian townies were a 'thing'.

I was a bit puzzled when there were so many but assumed that the game was selling so well in Japan and other Eastern countries that the Sim population reflected the new consumers :)

I've just now spent some time tidying up the population in one of my saves and that did include fixing the pear shaped men and Anglicising some names. A few ladies got lipo, too. More than a few Sims had their walk and posture improved and most got better clothes.

Besides that I've been deleting aliens and vampires plus some undesirables with the Kleptomaniac trait.

I don't mind having something to do and occasionally I'll find a real little treasure.

The thing is, it's so easy to edit them all. So much can be done without using cheats. In Sims 2 I used to spend hours in Simpe trying to achieve what can take a fraction of the time in Sims 4. It wasn't half the fun either.

I'm sure I'll always be able to amuse myself with editing Townies, they'll never pass muster. No matter what they look like, there'll always be that 'little something' that just has to be tweaked.

Don't feed the trolls
  • anonmysteryanonmystery Posts: 135 Member
    meeoun wrote: »
    Just for the record. You don't say "person of color" or "colored" here in the US.
    Ask Benedict Cumberbatch
    http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/27/entertainment/benedict-cumberbatch-colored-apology/

Colored, no, but from my limited experience of sociological academic writing as an Econ student, and talking to people into feminist critical literature , there seems to be a rise of the term "people of colour" as a politically correct way to refer to minorities, which baffles me to be honest, but there you go. Also if anything I thought this whole poc thing came out of the US, I'm from the UK for reference.
  • meeounmeeoun Posts: 2,173 Member
    edited April 2017
    celeste821 wrote: »
    I'm sorry but if 50% of all generated townies are indian, 30% are japanese and 20% are black that's not diversity. My game hasn't generated a single hispanic or eastern european sim, you know, cultures that also exist and should be represented. This diversity is only awesome to you if you either don't care about representation or are one of the races of which sims predominantly get generated from. I mean, I don't have an issue with diversity (and I'm definitely not a person who has an issue with non-caucasian people in real life) but if diversity is something that is a goal of EA they should include all cultures because otherwise the supposed diversity is not really actually diverse, it's just "There are more races than caucasian now".

I've uninstalled city living and I feel like the generated townies are more varied now than they were with city living.

I really think that the people at ea are racist, if so many talented artist can create wonderful realistic cc then why can't the people being paid do it?

I don't think that's the case at all. They're trying. Like with the premades this time around. The clothing and music. They made leaps adding braids and afros for godsakes. Before CL black sims were stuck with caucasian hair textures. It's just the name generator for townies that needs tuning.

I wish they could even go so far as making preset sims of different ethnic backgrounds in their townie generator so the game actually feels diverse in your sim's worlds.
    Btw if people don't want to say 'non-white' you can try POC (person of colour) rather than just 'foreigners'.
    I'm gonna stick with foreign cause I don't have a problem with "poc names", just non english names. I hate everybody! lol But as I said even english names are foreign for me and I don't even like my homecountry's names.

Wanting more English names in the mix I can understand that but only wanting English names I don't think they would do because they want to cater to more people.

Yeah but the names apparently change depending on which language you play in. I once played the game in russian, accidentally, and it had russian names. So I think if the game is played in english it should have english names.

You saying that, I play my game in German and the game has not generated 1 German Name since CL. (which doesn't really bother me)

oh do you get english names then or...? Wonder what it's like in other languages.

No! only those Asian names since and that is for every new spawned Sim.

• BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,592 Member
    This is the sim version of San francisco, which California in general has a MASSIVE asian population. They would NOT be foreigners. Maybe some 2nd - 3rd generation but...?
  • Erica87Erica87 Posts: 743 Member
    I don't think EA is racist, I think they're misguided. I think they mean well but just gave up half of the way instead of incorporating all ethnicities and cultures in a reasonable and proper manner.
    CURRENTLY PLAYING: Forum mafias & Minecraft, mainly.
    Taking a break from the sims for a while!
  • meeounmeeoun Posts: 2,173 Member
    Just for the record. You don't say "person of color" or "colored" here in the US.
    Ask Benedict Cumberbatch
    http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/27/entertainment/benedict-cumberbatch-colored-apology/

Colored, no, but from my limited experience of sociological academic writing as an Econ student, and talking to people into feminist critical literature , there seems to be a rise of the term "people of colour" as a politically correct way to refer to minorities, which baffles me to be honest, but there you go. Also if anything I thought this whole poc thing came out of the US, I'm from the UK for reference.

It's tricky though.
    At least here there's an unspoken rule that only "people of color" may refer themselves or others as "people of color". You don't use that here if you're not black.
  • NectereNectere Posts: 1,002 Member
    I dont care about the colors of the sims and like that diversity but 🐸🐸🐸🐸 if I cant pronounce any of their names now. They all have too many consonants or something lol

I usually end up deleting everyone anyway and finding sims on the gallery that I like better, there are some really great sim creators out there that make awesome diverse sims in race and looks.
    Mods should enhance my game, not fix it.
    Origin ID NectereSim
  • celeste821celeste821 Posts: 543 Member
    I have an issue with the way the issue is being put across in this thread. "There's too much foreigners/dark-skinned sims" vs "Sims do not have diverse enough names". The first statement sounds questionably racist, the second sounds more understandable. If the issue is the names are not diverse enough that is what should've been said rather than "too much Asians, need more white people/names btw I'm not racist." The way it's being phrased in this thread sounds like having the Asian/dark-skinned sims or sims with non-white names is bad. I know no one is saying that but that is how it is coming across.

It's interesting though, how did people of colour became a catch all term when it has been established that referring to people as "coloured" is seen as derogatory due to its links to segregation? My experiences as a black person in terms of identity politics are going to be different from a Latino or Asian person, "poc" just groups all minorities together and seperates from white people, us v. Them. Foreigners is a bit of a strange way to put it I guess, but I would wager most of the people here saying that don't intend for it to come across that way.

I'm also black, I honestly have no idea how it became that way. I just know that it's what some people refer to themselves as. I feel like 'foreigner' sounds alienating, I wouldn't like to be referred to that way but people were uncomfortable saying 'non-white' and I felt that was a better term.

it became that way when people got tired of hearing blacks complain about discrimination so they countered by saying others are discriminated too so they lumped all in one basket to divert attention away from african americans
  • Erica87Erica87 Posts: 743 Member
    I have an issue with the way the issue is being put across in this thread. "There's too much foreigners/dark-skinned sims" vs "Sims do not have diverse enough names". The first statement sounds questionably racist, the second sounds more understandable. If the issue is the names are not diverse enough that is what should've been said rather than "too much Asians, need more white people/names btw I'm not racist." The way it's being phrased in this thread sounds like having the Asian/dark-skinned sims or sims with non-white names is bad. I know no one is saying that but that is how it is coming across.

It's interesting though, how did people of colour became a catch all term when it has been established that referring to people as "coloured" is seen as derogatory due to its links to segregation? My experiences as a black person in terms of identity politics are going to be different from a Latino or Asian person, "poc" just groups all minorities together and seperates from white people, us v. Them. Foreigners is a bit of a strange way to put it I guess, but I would wager most of the people here saying that don't intend for it to come across that way.

I'm also black, I honestly have no idea how it became that way. I just know that it's what some people refer to themselves as. I feel like 'foreigner' sounds alienating, I wouldn't like to be referred to that way but people were uncomfortable saying 'non-white' and I felt that was a better term.

it became that way when people got tired of hearing blacks complain about discrimination so they countered by saying others are discriminated too so they lumped all in one basket to divert attention away from african americans

Others are discriminated against too though. You should hear how people from the balkans are treated in europe, there's even an equivalent to the n-word people use. You can't just erase discrimination against others because you're not them. That's morally wrong.
    CURRENTLY PLAYING: Forum mafias & Minecraft, mainly.
    Taking a break from the sims for a while!
    Ask Benedict Cumberbatch

poc is not just blacks, it's anyone who isn't considered caucasian the term makes whites feel comfortable
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    there is a bug with names that needs fixing
    more for sim kids and more drama please
    I'm sorry but if 50% of all generated townies are indian, 30% are japanese and 20% are black that's not diversity. My game hasn't generated a single hispanic or eastern european sim, you know, cultures that also exist and should be represented. This diversity is only awesome to you if you either don't care about representation or are one of the races of which sims predominantly get generated from. I mean, I don't have an issue with diversity (and I'm definitely not a person who has an issue with non-caucasian people in real life) but if diversity is something that is a goal of EA they should include all cultures because otherwise the supposed diversity is not really actually diverse, it's just "There are more races than caucasian now".

I've uninstalled city living and I feel like the generated townies are more varied now than they were with city living.

I really think that the people at ea are racist, if so many talented artist can create wonderful realistic cc then why can't the people being paid do it?

I don't think that's the case at all. They're trying. Like with the premades this time around. The clothing and music. They made leaps adding braids and afros for godsakes. Before CL black sims were stuck with caucasian hair textures. It's just the name generator for townies that needs tuning.

I wish they could even go so far as making preset sims of different ethnic backgrounds in their townie generator so the game actually feels diverse in your sim's worlds.

I have been playing the sims from the first sims 1 and sims 2 now sims 4 and the cry has been the same, why no nice realistic hair for black sims. Again from sims 1 people have been making wonderful cc to meet that void, so then why can't the people who make money from the game do the same? I don't call that trying
  • anonmysteryanonmystery Posts: 135 Member
    Ask Benedict Cumberbatch

poc is not just blacks, it's anyone who isn't considered caucasian the term makes whites feel comfortable

That's the thing though, it's not used in far right (not that I'm applauding them) or conservative circles. It's used in intersectional feminist and left wing circles, by people who consider themselves progressive. That's why I find it confusing. I mean in the grand scheme of things it's not the biggest issue but just putting that out there for this discussion.
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    I have no issues with the distribution of non-conformist ethnic names, hair and skin colors in a fictitious universe that lacks clearly defined ethnic boundaries.
    The topic is NOT ABOUT COLOR!

• OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member

Is that so?
    Now I'm not a racist or anything like that, but it bothers me, because one one hand you could take it as a discrimination towards foreign people like in real life, but on the other hand I would like to see these jobs given to white caucasian Sims also like it was before, which would make it kinda even.

• Simsister2004Simsister2004 Posts: 3,536 Member
    I agree with the OP of this thread. I wish there was a way to uninstall City Life and still keep my game progress. CL is the expansion I wish I had NOT bought.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I've learned to deal with it to be honest. It can get frustrating when there's two or more Sims with the same name because of the evidently small name pool (I had one in my game generate with the exact same name as one of the girls in my avatar because those two were originally random generations too) but I suppose I can always just use Manage Households to clear out the townies I don't fancy having in my town and salvage all the ones that I do with better matched outfits because nine times out of ten they end up wearing pieces of custom content I've downloaded and it can look ridiculous.

I just wish my game would generate some cute Asian young adult male Sims rather than the hideous pear-shaped elder ones. I'm a sucker for a cute Asian boy but I wouldn't even know where to start to create my own since I'm not Asian myself so I'm relying on my game to give me one. I can't fault the female Sims but I don't tend to keep all of them. It was a good start in regards to having diversity within the game but I hope it's something that can be improved in time.

That's what I do -- I go through Manage Households and rearrange as needed. I use the MC Command Center mod and it randomly marries couples and gives them babies, so I often have to shift other household members out on their own; for example Travis of the BFFs is now sharing an apartment with Sergio Romeo, after both Liberty Lee and Summer Holiday married others. I also do go through and change names when I think it's appropriate; my family's oldest daughter married the nanny (he was never her nanny; she aged up to YA and moved out shortly after her younger sister became a toddler), a good looking (once I ditched the scuzzy beard the game gave him) Indian young man named Dhruv Acharya; I decided to Anglicize the name to Danny because there are several other Dhruvs in my game and I wanted to set him apart. It's not unusual for an immigrant to take a Western name when coming to the United States, if only to make things easier for employers and friends. Or parents will give their child a Western name or nickname to make things easier in school for the teachers.

Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    I think foreign name generator might be broke I came across one sim named brainardo applygate
    more for sim kids and more drama please
    OEII1001 wrote: »

Is that so?
    Now I'm not a racist or anything like that, but it bothers me, because one one hand you could take it as a discrimination towards foreign people like in real life, but on the other hand I would like to see these jobs given to white caucasian Sims also like it was before, which would make it kinda even.

Yes that is so! I don't know why you people jumping to conclutions. The game is generating too many Asian Sims with silly names and I don't care if they are green yellow black red or blue. It's definitely too many of one kind. That's the topic!

This discussion has been closed.
Return to top