Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Most of Sims are of foreign origin since CL[solved] by uninstalling CL

Comments

• Erica87Erica87 Posts: 743 Member
    edited April 2017
    I'm sorry but if 50% of all generated townies are indian, 30% are japanese and 20% are black that's not diversity. My game hasn't generated a single hispanic or eastern european sim, you know, cultures that also exist and should be represented. This diversity is only awesome to you if you either don't care about representation or are one of the races of which sims predominantly get generated from. I mean, I don't have an issue with diversity (and I'm definitely not a person who has an issue with non-caucasian people in real life) but if diversity is something that is a goal of EA they should include all cultures because otherwise the supposed diversity is not really actually diverse, it's just "There are more races than caucasian now".

I've uninstalled city living and I feel like the generated townies are more varied now than they were with city living.
    CURRENTLY PLAYING: Forum mafias & Minecraft, mainly.
    Taking a break from the sims for a while!
  • LuvMySimzLuvMySimz Posts: 642 Member
    „ - Criticism may not be agreeable, but it's sometimes necessary - “

• jheyjuneicejheyjuneice Posts: 335 Member
    I have an issue with the way the issue is being put across in this thread. "There's too much foreigners/dark-skinned sims" vs "Sims do not have diverse enough names". The first statement sounds questionably racist, the second sounds more understandable. If the issue is the names are not diverse enough that is what should've been said rather than "too much Asians, need more white people/names btw I'm not racist." The way it's being phrased in this thread sounds like having the Asian/dark-skinned sims or sims with non-white names is bad. I know no one is saying that but that is how it is coming across.

Btw if people don't want to say 'non-white' you can try POC (person of colour) rather than just 'foreigners'.
    6Y6GB8R.png
    LuvMySimz wrote: »

Most of these pictures show people. They are human. Your sentence makes it sound like they're plants!
  • SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    Btw if people don't want to say 'non-white' you can try POC (person of colour) rather than just 'foreigners'.
    I'm gonna stick with foreign cause I don't have a problem with "poc names", just non english names. I hate everybody! lol But as I said even english names are foreign for me and I don't even like my homecountry's names.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
    Bambooram wrote: »
    @meeoun @LuvMySimz
    Rofl. I'm not taking it personal, no worries.
    i know that people are called "foreign" but I also know that there's a lot of people who are called that even though they've lived in a place for their entire life... just because they're not a citizen - and i've heard them speak out about how they felt hurt about it. Foreign is a tasteless word imo.
    So just because there's no "problem in your city" it doesn't mean that people aren't hurt over it.
    And i don't really have a problem with the word foregin, tbh... but if you look back on what you've posted you've equated "foreign" with "asian" and "dark skinned". A foreigner is a person from another country... they can also be white. Cool? Cool.

This is really beside the point. What i want to conclude is that the world is diverse and this game is not just about where YOU come from, but the whole world.

Peace out.

and this is where you're exaggerating. After all the subjects is "Game" -
    No matter where we come from the game is spawning too many "foreign" names and sims of one kind. Periot!

• meeounmeeoun Posts: 2,173 Member
    @meeoun @LuvMySimz
    Rofl. I'm not taking it personal, no worries.
    i know that people are called "foreign" but I also know that there's a lot of people who are called that even though they've lived in a place for their entire life... just because they're not a citizen - and i've heard them speak out about how they felt hurt about it. Foreign is a tasteless word imo.
    So just because there's no "problem in your city" it doesn't mean that people aren't hurt over it.
    And i don't really have a problem with the word foregin, tbh... but if you look back on what you've posted you've equated "foreign" with "asian" and "dark skinned". A foreigner is a person from another country... they can also be white. Cool? Cool.

This is really beside the point. What i want to conclude is that the world is diverse and this game is not just about where YOU come from, but the whole world.

Peace out.

You're not getting it, but that's okay.
    Simpkin wrote: »
    I'm gonna stick with foreign cause I don't have a problem with "poc names", just non english names. I hate everybody! lol But as I said even english names are foreign for me and I don't even like my homecountry's names.

Wanting more English names in the mix I can understand that but only wanting English names I don't think they would do because they want to cater to more people.
    6Y6GB8R.png
  • celeste821celeste821 Posts: 543 Member
    edited April 2017

And please don't call it foreign... that's tasteless.

What's tasteless about that?? Foreign is a person from outside one's community. Nothing wrong with this word.
    non-white is tasteless if you ask me. Plus I said nothing about colors. I like different colors in my game too, but the point is that since CL all the game spawns are dark sims. It has gotten overboard.

before all it spawned was white sims that is just as overboard to the people you call foreign, this is white privilege thinking
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    I don't have an issue with names not "matching" an appearance - maybe just a fluke of having known so many intermarried couples IRL with kids who don't "look like" their name suggests they might - but I definitely have issues with the game's overreliance on names from one pack in its townie naming and with the game reusing names. Prior to CL, the game did not generate multiple Sims with the same first name or multiple households with the same surname. The confusion is real, as is the lack of variety in naming of new Sims.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.

Wanting more English names in the mix I can understand that but only wanting English names I don't think they would do because they want to cater to more people.

Yeah but the names apparently change depending on which language you play in. I once played the game in russian, accidentally, and it had russian names. So I think if the game is played in english it should have english names.
    Erica87 wrote: »
    I'm sorry but if 50% of all generated townies are indian, 30% are japanese and 20% are black that's not diversity. My game hasn't generated a single hispanic or eastern european sim, you know, cultures that also exist and should be represented. This diversity is only awesome to you if you either don't care about representation or are one of the races of which sims predominantly get generated from. I mean, I don't have an issue with diversity (and I'm definitely not a person who has an issue with non-caucasian people in real life) but if diversity is something that is a goal of EA they should include all cultures because otherwise the supposed diversity is not really actually diverse, it's just "There are more races than caucasian now".

I've uninstalled city living and I feel like the generated townies are more varied now than they were with city living.

Thank you for your great post!

ts1depot wrote: »
    BlueR0se wrote: »
    "I'm not racist but..." "Too many dark skinned/non white sims"

*rolls eyes*

LOL...Well, at least they didn't trot out the old "I have black/asian/latino friends" line. Although, I dunno, it's beginning to sounds as though "I'm ethnic, too" is the new "I have black/asian/latino friends."

BTW, funny how none of these "too many foreigners/Asian" people flipped out when GT started generating a lot of townies of clearly European background, with Swedish and Italian names.
    I8PIKACHU wrote: »
    I have a problem with this, too. Not every sim neighborhood in the world is the same as a borough in Queens.

There is no "borough in Queens." Queens is a borough of NYC. And Asians don't just live in Flushing, Queens. They have entire neighborhoods in Brooklyn and Manhattan, too.

lmao love it
    https://youtu.be/ZPDpcYEdiOg

Most of these pictures show people. They are human. Your sentence makes it sound like they're plants!

hahaha serious? guess I'm a foreign too who meets lots of people misunderstanding things ;)

Yeah but the names apparently change depending on which language you play in. I once played the game in russian, accidentally, and it had russian names. So I think if the game is played in english it should have english names.

I didn't know that, I figured it was the same across all languages. Perhaps they need to work on the diversity of names across all languages so that every language has an equal mix of names.
    6Y6GB8R.png
  • anonmysteryanonmystery Posts: 135 Member
    I have an issue with the way the issue is being put across in this thread. "There's too much foreigners/dark-skinned sims" vs "Sims do not have diverse enough names". The first statement sounds questionably racist, the second sounds more understandable. If the issue is the names are not diverse enough that is what should've been said rather than "too much Asians, need more white people/names btw I'm not racist." The way it's being phrased in this thread sounds like having the Asian/dark-skinned sims or sims with non-white names is bad. I know no one is saying that but that is how it is coming across.

It's interesting though, how did people of colour became a catch all term when it has been established that referring to people as "coloured" is seen as derogatory due to its links to segregation? My experiences as a black person in terms of identity politics are going to be different from a Latino or Asian person, "poc" just groups all minorities together and seperates from white people, us v. Them. Foreigners is a bit of a strange way to put it I guess, but I would wager most of the people here saying that don't intend for it to come across that way.
    celeste821 wrote: »

And please don't call it foreign... that's tasteless.

What's tasteless about that?? Foreign is a person from outside one's community. Nothing wrong with this word.
    non-white is tasteless if you ask me. Plus I said nothing about colors. I like different colors in my game too, but the point is that since CL all the game spawns are dark sims. It has gotten overboard.

before all it spawned was white sims that is just as overboard to the people you call foreign, this is white privilege thinking

That's not true. Non-caucasian sims were spawned as well and there were non-caucasian townies too. Granted white sims were the majority but white people are the majority in the USA (which sims is supposed to resemble) so it makes more sense than when the majority of sims are asian or black, which make up a total of 18% percent of people in the USA. So while it wasn't fair back then it was a lot more accurate to US census than today.

hahaha serious? guess I'm a foreign too who meets lots of people misunderstanding things ;)

I'm not misunderstanding you, your sentence is just weird. I get what you wanted to say but logically your sentence doesn't really make sense because it does require human intervention to create a human. The way you put it sounded like you were talking about a remote part of a rain forest... "Ohh, nature is so beautiful if humans don't intervene..." It's just a strange way to put it, or at least it seems like that for me. I totally know what you meant to say.
    celeste821 wrote: »
    ts1depot wrote: »
    BlueR0se wrote: »
    "I'm not racist but..." "Too many dark skinned/non white sims"

*rolls eyes*

LOL...Well, at least they didn't trot out the old "I have black/asian/latino friends" line. Although, I dunno, it's beginning to sounds as though "I'm ethnic, too" is the new "I have black/asian/latino friends."

BTW, funny how none of these "too many foreigners/Asian" people flipped out when GT started generating a lot of townies of clearly European background, with Swedish and Italian names.
    I8PIKACHU wrote: »
    I have a problem with this, too. Not every sim neighborhood in the world is the same as a borough in Queens.

There is no "borough in Queens." Queens is a borough of NYC. And Asians don't just live in Flushing, Queens. They have entire neighborhoods in Brooklyn and Manhattan, too.

lmao love it
    https://youtu.be/ZPDpcYEdiOg

Poor Becky.

I didn't know that, I figured it was the same across all languages. Perhaps they need to work on the diversity of names across all languages so that every language has an equal mix of names.

The Sims 4 will support English, German, French, Russian, Polish, Swedish, Spanish, Italian, Dutch, Norwegian, Danish, Finnish, Brazilian Portuguese, Czech, Chinese (Traditional), Japanese, and Korean.
    Yeah, obviously not all languages are supported but yeah, ever since CL the balance is a little off in english.
    edited April 2017

You saying that, I play my game in German and the game has not generated 1 German Name since CL. (which doesn't really bother me)

It's interesting though, how did people of colour became a catch all term when it has been established that referring to people as "coloured" is seen as derogatory due to its links to segregation? My experiences as a black person in terms of identity politics are going to be different from a Latino or Asian person, "poc" just groups all minorities together and seperates from white people, us v. Them. Foreigners is a bit of a strange way to put it I guess, but I would wager most of the people here saying that don't intend for it to come across that way.

I'm also black, I honestly have no idea how it became that way. I just know that it's what some people refer to themselves as. I feel like 'foreigner' sounds alienating, I wouldn't like to be referred to that way but people were uncomfortable saying 'non-white' and I felt that was a better term.
    6Y6GB8R.png
    Just for the record. You don't say "person of color" or "colored" here in the US.
    Ask Benedict Cumberbatch
    http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/27/entertainment/benedict-cumberbatch-colored-apology/

I really think that the people at ea are racist, if so many talented artist can create wonderful realistic cc then why can't the people being paid do it?

thank you, that's why I ignored that comment
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top