Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you find this unrealistic?

That if a toy is way high on the shelf a toddler can still get it. How is that even possible?
tenor.gif?itemid=5228641

Comments

• SageRainWillowSageRainWillow Posts: 2,221 Member
    Yep, they are natural born climbers. It's amazing what they can get into.
    42959178421_482f6f6a5c_o.png

• Gabe_ozGabe_oz Posts: 1,880 Member
    Years ago when my cousin was 2 and that part of my family came to visit, she managed to get something off my shelf that was 5 ft off the ground. They find odd ways.
  • TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    Believe me, you could set a cookie jar on the kitchen counter in real life, and if a toddler sees it and wants cookies, they'll find a way up there, lol. I've seen them do things like try to climb up open drawers as if they were steps, climb up those cabinet doors for that area under the kitchen sink, beg and plead random strangers visiting the house to get the cookies for them, throw a cat or dog up there to try and get them to push the jar off to them... :D
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member
    edited April 2017
    My daughter climbed out her crib, crawled down the stairs and then climbed a 6 foot built in bookshelf when she was 16 months old to get the toy I had grounded her from. Then she climbed back down, climbed back up the stairs and back into her crib within the 10 minutes I was in shower. They have ways of doing things.

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • PapayaSkyPapayaSky Posts: 177 Member
    Maybe @pepperjax1230 means that we should be able to see it happen? I really don't care for all the Houdini-ing our sims do, lol. Unless they're telekinetic, toddlers should have to actually climb to get something off of a shelf.
  • Dayvon64Dayvon64 Posts: 493 Member
    PapayaSky wrote: »
    Maybe @pepperjax1230 means that we should be able to see it happen? I really don't care for all the Houdini-ing our sims do, lol. Unless they're telekinetic, toddlers should have to actually climb to get something off of a shelf.

Can you imagine the stress most the simmers would have randomly seeing their toddlers climb a shelf lol. I'd love to watch it happen on a LP.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    You obviously don't have kids - I had a toddler not even two years old stack things on top of each other to climb up into a tall pantry to get the cookies. He used to pull out drawers and climb up each one to get on top of the Chest of drawers to get the model airplanes we had hanging from his ceiling. Believe me - there is nothing out of their reach. You need to lock anything and every thing they can't touch in a closet then keep the key in a safe place they can't find. They get up all hours of the night and get into - you name it. I had a new born and one not quite 2 and sleep was a luxury - believe me. They do not call the terrible twos that for no reason and it starts about 1 and a half -

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,590 Member
    Sorcery.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • vivica86vivica86 Posts: 231 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    You obviously don't have kids -
    That's exactly what I was going to say! :D
    Let me take you down, cos I'm going to Strawberry Fields... <3
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited April 2017

No, Don't leave a broom where they can get it - or mop or dust broom or any thing - those little tykes can unlock door latches if you don't have the baby safe latches (that's why there are baby safe latches, drawer locks, and all sorts of safety devices because 2 year old are basically unstoppable unless you can figure a way to watch them 24 hours a day nothing is impossible for them to get down. They often get into trouble though in their determination.

The one thing you always here from mom,dads, or baby sitters is I turned away for just a second and what ever happened--- it is true- believe me. You cannot leave their side for a second. Go to the bathroom - take them with you. Got house work to do - hire a sitter. You cannot believe what these tiny balls of pure unadulterated energy can muster when they want something.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Dayvon64 wrote: »

Can you imagine the stress most the simmers would have randomly seeing their toddlers climb a shelf lol. I'd love to watch it happen on a LP.

Maybe toddlers should have a climbing skill? :smiley:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    I vaguely remember climbing on furniture to reach things my parent tried keeping away from me.
    Especially if it's my toy or something precious of mine, I was determined to get it down.

Children are very resourceful!
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • shellbemeshellbeme Posts: 2,086 Member
    There are a ton of things about the sims that I find very unrealistic :)
  • Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    Personally I would have preferred if toddlers needed an older sim's help to get something out of reach. But then there would be complaints of how needy the toddlers are and that a toddler being able to access everything just makes the game better. It's a no-win, some love it some hate it.
    A big part of why I find this to be a disappointment is because it feeds into the growing trend of cutting animations regarding how sims interact with their environment. I don't mind unrealistic, I enjoy it in my games. What I do mind are animation shortcuts. If you could actually see a toddler push a chair over to a counter or bookshelf then climb up to swipe it would have been cute. Even if the chair is a step stool the toddler pulls out of nowhere like children did in the past I would prefer that to teleporting plates of food or a toy.
  • CunninghamCunningham Posts: 1,310 Member
    The Sims physics :D
    'I'm Just Another Plum Faced Irishman, Am I Not?'
    "Dr Moose's daycare challenge "
    The Sims 3 - Wishlist/Top5
    oGh7KNi.gif
  • meeounmeeoun Posts: 2,173 Member
    Personally I would have preferred if toddlers needed an older sim's help to get something out of reach. But then there would be complaints of how needy the toddlers are and that a toddler being able to access everything just makes the game better. It's a no-win, some love it some hate it.
    A big part of why I find this to be a disappointment is because it feeds into the growing trend of cutting animations regarding how sims interact with their environment. I don't mind unrealistic, I enjoy it in my games. What I do mind are animation shortcuts. If you could actually see a toddler push a chair over to a counter or bookshelf then climb up to swipe it would have been cute. Even if the chair is a step stool the toddler pulls out of nowhere like children did in the past I would prefer that to teleporting plates of food or a toy.

I know what you're saying.
    That's exactly the point.
    It's cool that some simmers find some real world relevance to what some of us find as "issues" pertaining to the lack of appropriate animations or designs with this game. I find a lot of these issues as cutting corners, and when I see comments in otherwise favor, I just find them as excuses to lazy game making.

It's just like with teens.
    "..Well, my 17 year old son was 6'1.." or "..I see a lot of teens taller than their parents..".
    Okay great, I do too. But let's be real. Was the studio really thinking about that? I bet not.

I know toddlers can get into stuff in high places faster than you can bat an eye. But is it that hard to at least put in some kind of animation of a struggle or at least affiliate the toddler's success with a skill? You know, like in TS2 with crib escaping and the toddler's logic skill.

It's not like we have detailed animations elsewhere in the game. Or at least in places that should have detail. Sims still can't dance together, Pots and pans fly in from no where, basketballs fade away into oblivion, sims rolling up by fading in and out, no car interactions, doors don't even matter.

I mean like dang Sims Team is it so hard to give us something more?

But yeah, I agree OP.
  • NotLoudonWainwrightNotLoudonWainwright Posts: 863 Member
    edited April 2017
    Absolutely. In a game with aliens impregnating men, vampires feeding on people and murderous plants with the heads of cows, toddlers reaching toys on a toy shelf is unacceptably unrealistic.
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    meeoun wrote: »

I know what you're saying.
    That's exactly the point.
    It's cool that some simmers find some real world relevance to what some of us find as "issues" pertaining to the lack of appropriate animations or designs with this game. I find a lot of these issues as cutting corners, and when I see comments in otherwise favor, I just find them as excuses to lazy game making.

It's just like with teens.
    "..Well, my 17 year old son was 6'1.." or "..I see a lot of teens taller than their parents..".
    Okay great, I do too. But let's be real. Was the studio really thinking about that? I bet not.

I know toddlers can get into stuff in high places faster than you can bat an eye. But is it that hard to at least put in some kind of animation of a struggle or at least affiliate the toddler's success with a skill? You know, like in TS2 with crib escaping and the toddler's logic skill.

It's not like we have detailed animations elsewhere in the game. Or at least in places that should have detail. Sims still can't dance together, Pots and pans fly in from no where, basketballs fade away into oblivion, sims rolling up by fading in and out, no car interactions, doors don't even matter.

I mean like dang Sims Team is it so hard to give us something more?

But yeah, I agree OP.
    I agree with Jessa that it should be that they need help to get something because it looks to weird for a toddler to be taken things on a shelf or counter and not have anything.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,547 Member
    edited April 2017
    Hey, if a dog can scoot a chair over to a counter, climb on said chair and get on top of the counter to access the food there, then a toddler can get a toy up high. I am the grandmother of nine — count 'em, NINE grandchildren who have all lived here with their parents periodically. I've got at least two of them who are KNOWN climbers. Scary climbers. Getting way up on TOP of the high corner desk, scary. Thing is, both of these two (sisters) are on the shorter side for their ages. So, that makes the drop harsher. Toddlers are very clever and resourceful, too. Which is why I've instructed each of my three grown children, once their babies became mobile, to get their 'running shoes' on!

You CANNOT leave a two-year old unchaperoned! ;)
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • meeounmeeoun Posts: 2,173 Member
    Y'all still missing the point.
    I think the OP is talking about how the toddler just suddenly obtained the object that was on the top shelf without any animation or struggle. Which makes that gameplay feature, or lack there of, unrealistic.

Do y'all kids/grandkids have telekinesis and suddenly obtain an object on the top shelf or cabinet?
    No.
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    edited April 2017
    meeoun wrote: »
    Y'all still missing the point.
    I think the OP is talking about how the toddler just suddenly obtained the object that was on the top shelf without any animation or struggle. Which makes that gameplay feature, or lack there of, unrealistic.

Do y'all kids/grandkids have telekinesis and suddenly obtain an object on the top shelf or cabinet?
    No.
    Yes exactly what I mean. I can see toddlers getting into things the way they do in this game is not believable to me when they are standing on the floor and the shelf is taller then them.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    Two year old children have the tendency to do weird and magical stuff while your back is turned?

It is the same with a dog. You put something on the shelf and next thing you know the dog has chewed it up... :*

This is exactly what happened with one of my dogs when he was a puppy (and my Sims 3 game case), back in the day.
    I left the case next to my laptop, came home to find my Sims 3 and Fallout 3 discs in the back yard (but thankfully still functional), and my game cases and manuals torn to shreds.
    wJbomAo.png
  • Livin in SimLivin in Sim Posts: 1,145 Member
    This reminds me of the time I got two chalupas, and just ate one. I left the other one sitting on my desk to enjoy after I returned from a quick run to the store. Mr Doggy rather unrealistically jumped into the chair, climbed up onto the desk, got the chalupa out of the bag, unwrapped the paper, and ate the meat, cheese, and shell, leaving the veggies for me. I returned to find a neat little pile of lettuce and tomatoes on top of the wrapper and bag, all still on the desk, and him with a smile on his face. He was, thenceforth, called by the name of Chalu-Pup.
  • TDU90TDU90 Posts: 1,822 Member
    Absolutely. In a game with aliens impregnating men, vampires feeding on people and murderous plants with the heads of cows, toddlers reaching toys on a toy shelf is unacceptably unrealistic.

I just...cant . Lol! The accuracy :D