Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Wallingsford Historical Legacy Now Entering 1930s

Comments

• ilovebunnys65ilovebunnys65 Posts: 1,611 Member
    A lot of things are happening! I'm just glad to catch up on the legacy. They're going through some hard times. I love the factoids you insert in the beginning of each chapter!!!
  • UniquePuggleUniquePuggle Posts: 864 Member
    A lot of things are happening! I'm just glad to catch up on the legacy. They're going through some hard times. I love the factoids you insert in the beginning of each chapter!!!

Thank you! I use certain facts to help the chapter make more sense.
  • ponderosaponderosa Posts: 238 Member
    The facts at the beginning of each chapter may be my favorite thing about this legacy. David's such a good guy. Is Ruth going to be making an appearance again or has she moved on for good?
    tumblr_opta4zrh011r17qi5o1_500.gif
    origin ID: maureenponderosa
    ponderosa wrote: »
    The facts at the beginning of each chapter may be my favorite thing about this legacy. David's such a good guy. Is Ruth going to be making an appearance again or has she moved on for good?

She will make another appearance! :)
    edited March 2017
    DID YOU KNOW: Membership of the Klan rose to around 5 million during the 1920's. As prices of food dropped, many farmers lived in unhygienic conditions in tin shacks, without electricity or running water. Hostility against communists and suspected communists reached fever pitch in 1920 and was called the Red Scare.

For anyone who interested in the 1920s slang used in these chapters, please feel free to check this out: Slang of the 1920s

hS7SJcQ.jpg

With Delilah helping out with Robert's care, Virginia was able to get some much needed time to relax. She was finally able to spend time with her friends, something she hadn't done since having Robert.

"I'm so happy to see you Helen and Clara, it's been too long!"
    Helen gave Virginia a hug, but noticed that something about Virginia was different.
    "C'mon V, spill the beans. Somethin' is up and we need to know about it."
    "I don't want to be a killjoy..."
    "You can trust us."

"Well...it's just that David has been getting fried all the time, and he has a lot on his plate. He has been gone so long for many nights at the speakeasy, and takes his stress out on me, and yells at me, sometimes in front of Robert. I'm just not sure how much more I can take."
    Clara was shocked, reaching for her hand.
    "Oh no V, you know what you've got to do! You look that idiot in the eyes and you tell him, that if he doesn't stop with the phonus balonus that you will pack up, and take Robert with you, and you will go back home and find yourself a real handsome cake-eater to be with instead, because you are better than that. Understand? Don't you dare put up with that!"
    "I understand. Thank you girls. I just really needed to get that off my chest."
    Helen tried to lighten the mood.
    "Listen girls, we are all dolled up and need somewhere to go, how about we see a movie tonight?"
    Virginia agreed.
    "Sounds great, and lets hurry up and get out of this cold!"

fcoe3sX.jpg

Meanwhile, David and one of the council members, Alfred Crawford, were talking about the upcoming election outside of David's home.
    "The Klan has been selecting and funding their own council members to run for the next election, and have gained overwhelming support for them. They have also selected one of their 🐸🐸🐸🐸 for mayor, so I am afraid that there is a possibility you will lose after seeing the turnout for their meetings."
    David couldn't believe what he was hearing.
    "How could the town be on board with them? When the Klan first arrived, they acted like they were protecting the decay of Protestant ideals, but we all knew it was much more than that. Now citizens of this town are joining because they treat it like some version of an Elk's lodge, yet so many respectable people are ignoring the bigger picture."

ddfIzSR.jpg

"The worst part about it is, I have no idea how to stop them."
    David knew there was nothing that could be done to stop the end of his term, but there was no way he was going to let things in Gold Ridge escalate out of control. It wasn't just about saving his struggling business, it was about doing what he felt his father would have done.

fyt97HH.jpg

"Alfred, I think I have an idea, but I will need your help to get the ball rolling. You don't have to help me if you don't want to endanger your job."
    "I plan to help you. There is nothing that can be done for me now, since I refused a bribe in exchange of stepping down from my position. I won't be reelected no matter how this plays out."
    "I didn't know they were giving out bribes. Hm. This changes a few things. Since you are helping me, I need you to collect the names of everyone running, including the name of the guy that offered you a bribe. I will be doing research and need everything I can to take these guys down. This craziness has to stop."
    *******************************************************************************************************************************************

73cYUZN.jpg

Progress was being made in David's plan to strip the Klan of their hold over Gold Ridge, but progress with his business was at a standstill. He felt frazzled all the time, and it didn't help that he saw the stream of profit slowly starting to dry up. The future looked uncertain, but he didn't have the courage to explain this to Virginia. It was better to stay at the bar all night than to face his wife at the end of the day.

EKFpF9H.jpg

"David, were you at the bar again? Baby you know how I feel about you being gone so long! You are never home anymore and Robert needs his father in his life! I thought you said you were going to make changes..."
    David began to loosen his tie and get undressed, without even looking at his wife.
    "There's a lot going on that you don't understand."
    "Well then tell me about it, I want to help!"
    "It's nothing that involves you Virginia. Just let me handle it without you getting all hysterical alright?"
    Virginia felt like she didn't even know David anymore.

n3ErM8x.jpg

As Robert grew up and started learning new things, Delilah also aged. She was the main caretaker for Robert, while Virginia ran around trying to get things for the house done as well as try to keep in touch with friends. Without Delilah's help, the household would have surely fell apart.

lWjWCwK.jpg

"Has he been a good boy today Mrs. W?"
    Virginia reached for Robert, done with her errands for the day.
    "He is a boisterous child, but nothing I can't handle. He reminds me so much of David when he was his age. He is a spitting image too."

O3HBtJr.jpg

"He has David's energy, but let's hope he inherited my common sense", Virginia said, making Delilah chuckle.
    Oooh, looks like trouble in paradise.
    DID YOU KNOW: Approximately 8 out of 1,000 marriages turned into divorce in the 1920s. Men and women married for love and affection in the 1920s, which was almost unheard of 20 years before at the turn of the century. The majority of families in the 1920s consisted of a father who was the wage earner and a mother whose job it was to stay home and take care of the house and children.

gSWsf75.jpg

"David, I know things have been rough for you at the mines. I know you are torn up inside about not being mayor anymore. Perhaps, you should think about staying home for a week and take some time to clear your mind. It would be better for everyone if you did."

XyYec8C.jpg

"Mama, I can't sit on the sidelines and let things get worse. I can't just take a break from work, a day of vacation I take is a day I haven't made money. And this thing between you and Virginia? It's dirty pool."
    David walked away in a huff to get to work, leaving Delilah feeling disappointed.

w97zQjw.jpg

Delilah walked downstairs, running into Virginia.
    "Mrs. W, I really need to talk with ya."
    "What's on your mind dear?"
    "Did you ever wish Zachariah had changed?"
    Delilah smiled, remembering all the times she wished he had given up on his dream and let them return East, but he was so stubborn, that it was never a possibility.

SCfOcNy.jpg

"There were times I wish Zachariah hadn't been so stubborn, and sometimes he could be distant. But at the end of the day, I knew that he had the best intentions. David can be like that. He jumps head first into something without thinking it through, and finds himself in a world of trouble. But he always finds a way to make things right in the end."
    This gave Virginia something to think about.

zZzuAFs.jpg

After a long day of work, and dealing with increasingly anxious employees, David made a stop at his favorite bar to meet with Alfred.
    "I heard about what happened with one of your miners last night. It's so tragic, for a family to lose their home to a fire, no matter what color they are. Police are saying it was arson."
    "I am thankful they are fine. The whole town has an idea who committed the crime, but we also know the police will conveniently find no evidence. But that's okay, because I have gathered an entire file with proof of crimes committed by all sorts of Klan members, which, when I turn it over to the police, will be hard to deny and cover up. There will be no choice but to make it public and deal out consequences."

xaeMV38.jpg

"Interesting! And when do you plan to hand over the file?"
    David leaned in close to Alfred, both of them already drunk.
    "I'm slipping it under the door of the newspaper headquarters tonight, so they can get a jump on their story for tomorrow. Those saps won't know what hit them."

nU1xbhw.jpg

After slipping his incriminating files under the door of the newspaper headquarters, David drove home. He was expecting to head straight to bed, but Virginia was waiting up for him.
    "David, we need to talk."
    "Can't this wait V? It's 2 in the morning, and I've had a long day."
    "You say that every night, but I refuse to be put off any longer. You WILL hear me out."
    "Look we can talk in the morning...."

yhYK5Vi.jpg

"David, if our relationship continues this way, I am going back to Chicago. And I will be taking Robert with me. I am not going to be a pushover anymore. Changes will be made, or I will make them for you."

mA1dnGz.jpg

"C'mon V, you can't be serious."
    Virginia cut him off.
    "I have nothing more to say to you, and I don't want to hear anything from you either. I want actions, not words."
    And just like that, she turned around, pulled the covers up over her head and went to bed, leaving David in disbelief.

OSIxDvb.jpg

That same night, Delilah had gone to bed early, feeling exhausted. As she aged, she felt that her lack of energy allowed her to do less and less. She could hardly keep up with Robert anymore, and felt guilty since she adored her Grandson. Yet, she also felt guilty for worrying so much, since she felt she had such little time left to live. In her heart, she knew though, that she wouldn't have changed a thing.

xrEtWzC.jpg

She turned off the bedroom lamp, and turned over on her pillow, feeling drained, but at least her mind was clear. Her breathing slowed as she fell into a peaceful sleep.

G9Oef05.jpg

The next morning, Virginia and David were woken up early by Robert's cries. After she attended to Robert, Virginia got dressed and went downstairs to help Delilah with her morning routine.
    "Mrs. W, rise and shine! Am I okay to come in now?"
    There was silence.
    "Mrs. W? Alright, I am coming in", Virginia said, opening the door to gently wake her up. Delilah had been losing her sense of hearing as she aged.

uGjk9j8.jpg

She came into the bedroom and touched her shoulder to wake her, but found her to be cold.
    "Mrs. Wallingsford..."
    Virginia gasped when she found that she had no pulse.
    "David! David get in here, your mother isn't waking", she yelled, choking back tears.

YeZ8pA1.jpg

David flew down the stairs, skipping steps, trying to contain his panic.
    He paused when he got to the side of her bed, reaching for her hand.
    She had no pulse.
    "She...must have passed away in the middle of the night...." he whispered.
    He suddenly burst into tears, feeling an overwhelming wave of guilt for coming home late and not telling her goodnight. His last words to her had been angry, not loving. He never wanted his last conversation with his mother to be this way.

XRlE9Um.jpg

Virginia hesitated, but then slowly put a hand on his shoulder.
    "Baby...."
    Before she could speak, he had pulled her into a tight embrace, and they both cried on each other. Neither of them knew how long they had been standing there.
    David finally stepped back, wiping his face on his tie.
    "We need to make the funeral arrangements. I'm calling Ruth to tell her the news."

nVd9wuB.jpg

Ruth arrived after the funeral director left to prepare for Delilah's burial.
    David and Ruth hugged for some time without saying anything.
    She then asked to talk with him in private.

kbl59VU.jpg

They both took a seat in the office, and closed the door.
    "David, I read a story in the paper, about many members of the Klan committing tax evasion and corruption. I know they've been causing you a lot of grief, so I wouldn't be wrong to assume you had something to do with that story, would I?"
    "You've always been smart Ruth", David said, but was unable to smile.
    "You have a lot on your shoulders David, and I know better than anyone, that you will try so hard to make things right. But I think you've been asking yourself how our father would have done things, instead of trusting your own instincts. You are trying so hard to be like him, but you can only be you. He is gone now. You can't keep feeling guilty for things in the past. You need to work on being the best person you can be for today."
    "Why do you think you know me so well Ruth?"

dk1mTGy.jpg

"It's as you said. I've always been smart."

zV6txHR.jpg

Delilah was buried, between her baby Mary, and her husband Zachariah. David felt that she would have wanted it that way.
    Snow was still falling heavily, but that didn't stop David and Virginia from saying their final goodbyes.

YW6rt9S.jpg

Ruth had been strangely calm, perhaps from shock, or maybe denial.
    She trudged through the flaky, glittering snow in the evening while David and Virginia were still inside to see her mother's tombstone.
    Ruth wiped the snow off to read the epitaph.
    Grace was in all her steps, heaven in her eye, in every gesture dignity and love.
    "This was so true of you Mama"...
    She finally started to sob, and only felt ready to go inside when the cold air caused her eyes to sting.

• Aeriexo11Aeriexo11 Posts: 646 Member
    This is getting so good! I had to catch up because I had notifications turned off. I'm going to bookmark it so I can come back to it more often!
  • hp_enchantresshp_enchantress Posts: 62 Member
    What a great story! I'm definitely keeping my eye on this! Keep up the good work!
    Thank you everyone! <3
    edited March 2017
    DID YOU KNOW: Until the 1920s, after the death of a loved one, women in the family would wash, dress, and prepare the body for burial. At this time, gray velveteen was used for the outside of a woman’s casket. During snowy, cold winter days, the building of a casket had to be done inside the home.

***For more information about the Klan's involvement in politics, please visit this link. By reading this article, you will finally learn the state I picked to base this story in. :)Denver Public Library

0fcIGRS.jpg

There were a few days of clouds before another winter storm came in full force. It seemed to match the mood of the Wallingsford household. They were forced to stay inside their home, which did not help the grieving process, since they couldn't help but to remember Delilah every time they passed her bedroom.

3z6uhaJ.jpg

David took it upon himself to start going through Delilah's clothes and donate what his family didn't need. The times were changing and so were styles, so he wasn't sure if anyone would be willing to take them. He didn't realize how hard this process was going to be on him emotionally. He found himself holding each dress, raking his brain for memories of what she had done while wearing it.

i10d24z.jpg

"Baby, I told you I was here to help if you needed it. You didn't have to start without me."
    David closed the drawer. He needed a break anyways.
    "Sorry V. I had forgotten."
    He looked down at the ground, trying to avoid her seeing his eyes welling with tears. This wasn't how a man should be. Especially around his wife.

bi5VuHc.jpg

Virginia tenderly grasped his face, and turned it towards her.
    "David, you don't have to do this alone. I am here, for better or for worse. Remember?"
    "I know. It's just....this is painful. I don't need these things, but I feel that if I got rid of them, then that would mean I want to forget about her."
    "No no no, that's not true baby. Everyone knows you loved your mother dearly. But the memories you cherish most, they aren't in her belongings. They are in your heart. They won't go away."
    Virginia was sad for David, but at the same time, she was relieved that his mother's death hadn't caused him to raid the liquor cabinet again. A part of her was glad that he was relying on her, because it felt like a chance to fix their marriage.

qbDqguZ.jpg

Ruth had been staying with David and Virginia for the past couple weeks, but the children would soon be starting school again once the winter storm cleared, and she had to get back home.

"Thank you so much for helping out with Robert while we got this business taken care of. No wonder you became a school teacher. You are a natural with children", Virginia said as they hugged.
    "It was my pleasure. I've been meaning to spend time with my little nephew."

0MyvFUg.jpg

"We really missed you Ruth. This house is going to seem empty without you, after mother passed and now with you being gone. Are you sure you and George are alright to travel in this storm?"
    "Of course, we don't live too far. Just promise me you will consider what I said to you."
    David smiled, putting a hand on her shoulder.
    "I already have. You know, you always did seem wise beyond your years little sister."
    "I love you David. Take care of yourself. If Virginia needs my help with the baby, she knows who to call."

Ruth pulled her jacket closer around her neck, and stepped out into the whipping, cold air. George was waiting outside, keeping the car warm. She got into the passenger seat, and slowly, they were gone.

AzOJmCq.jpg

David got a call some time later. It was his friend Alfred, calling to send his condolences, but to also deliver some good news.
    Since the Grand Dragon of the Klan had been found guilty of fraud and tax evasion, he was booted from the Mayor's position, and now it was vacant, and in need of someone to quickly fill it. They were wondering if he would like to come back.

David thought for a minute, and surprised himself by politely declining.
    "Listen, I've thought about it, and someone wise told me that I don't have to try and be like my father anymore. It's exhausting, and if I were really honest with myself, it's just not for me. It never was. But you know what, I will put in a glowing recommendation letter for you. I think you'd be a better choice Alfred."
    Alfred was silent on the other end for a few moments before speaking once again.
    "Are...are you sure? You worked so hard to get this back. I don't want to feel like I am stealing it from you."
    "Nonsense Alfred, you can't steal what I am willingly giving to you! Besides, with this mess from the Klan and the Immigration Bill, I need to divert more attention to my mine, otherwise we will have to sell the house and move into something smaller. This home was built from plans my father drew up, and I have no intention of letting it go."
    "Well, I feel like it's not enough, but I will say thank you anyway! And if it's money troubles you are having, why don't you try your hand at the stock market? I know some fellas that have been doing well with it."
    "Nah, I won't do that. My father told me it was all just a numbers game and not to trust it. He knew what he was talking about, so I will heed what he said."
    "Suit yourself. I'll come down to visit with you sometime. Take care David."

DbOhhk1.jpg?1

Virginia was having trouble with Robert, who seemed to be crying more than usual. It broke her heart, since she knew that he wanted to see his Grandma, but he didn't understand that she wasn't around anymore. All she could do at the moment, was ride the waves and comfort him the best she could. She would need to think about child care options now that Delilah had passed away. Delilah had been wonderful to Robert, and helped Virginia out so she could see her friends and still have the life she enjoyed. Perhaps she would need to have home visits until Robert got older.

RYJrxMm.jpg

David had read the ad he put in the newspaper for miner positions several times, wondering why he was having trouble getting more workers. Sure it was dangerous work, and most mine operators were merciless when it came to pay. But David had been listening to Zachariah's advice and doing right by his workers, yet things didn't change. Not even when he increased the pay. The government was making his job hard to do.

N0WlBpi.jpg

He went outside for some fresh air. It didn't bother him that it was still heavily snowing. He just wanted to be alone.

Wxgn0kD.jpg

"It sure is beautiful out here."
    David turned to see his wife standing by the bench, admiring the glittering snow.
    "Room for one more?"
    David patted the empty spot next to him, and Virginia took a seat.

cthWSwq.jpg

"Virginia, I haven't been entirely truthful with you...about the way things have been with the business."
    "Oh? What's going on?"
    "I am having trouble finding people willing to do the work. It's back breaking work, but, even with higher pay, there just seems to be no one to fill the workforce. People in town are moving to the cities to find easier jobs for the same pay, so most of my workers come from other countries. But the government has decreased the amount of immigrants allowed to enter the country, and now things at the mine have slowed down. If things continue this way...."

YXu4zH4.jpg

Virginia cut him off.
    "Baby, let's cross that bridge when we get there. We never know what our future holds. We can only enjoy today and what it holds for us. You are worrying too much about what hasn't happened yet, maybe it might not even happen."

OpXovTy.jpg

David put his arm around her, keeping her warm.
    "I suppose you are right. Besides, as much as it pains me, there are some pricey pieces on display in the living room. I am sure the gold sitting there can hold us over until a miracle comes along."

Kg9r411.jpg

Virginia leaned into him for a long kiss.
    "My miracle is right here."

QD4cmUM.jpg

Right before they both went to bed, David examined the gemstones and gold bar in the cabinet. These were pieces that Zachariah was most proud of, and wanted to display for guests to see. Impressing people wasn't in his interest anymore now that he was no longer Mayor. Now it was all about how he could support his family. As much as he didn't want to part with things his father loved, he had to do what he had to do.

DID YOU KNOW: Many men and women of the 1920s experimented with spirited styles of dance and enjoyed attending public dances sponsored by local groups. Parties where lots of couples were kissing and touching were called 'petting parties'. Warner Brothers, 20th Century Fox, Paramount Pictures, and MGM began in this era, and movies now included sound.

Bgmn6xV.jpg

Virginia had been able to avoid being a full time mother when Delilah was around, but now that she was gone, she had to take care of Robert mostly on her own. She couldn't pay a nanny to watch him because their finances were tight since activity at the mines had been sluggish. She was used to being a free woman, enjoying the pleasures offered to her as a member of higher society, but now she was confined to her home to watch Robert, clean, and cook. They had recently let go of their maid because they were pinching pennies. She started to feel overwhelmed and lonely.

48yX8DA.jpg

David was back to managing the mine himself. Now that he had more time since he wasn't the Mayor of Gold Ridge anymore, he thought it was a waste of resources to keep paying someone to overlook the workers for him.

T3e0RHf.jpg

David knew that Virginia was having a hard time adjusting to things at home, and wanted to try to remedy the situation.
    "Listen V, I was just thinking. I know you keep telling me that you wish you could see your friends, but you are too busy handling things here. So I sent out party invitations for this weekend, and all of our friends have responded that they will come. How do you feel about your friends coming here to spend time with you?"

KT5uKdQ.jpg

"Really? You did that for me? That is so thoughtful baby! I've really been craving some adult interaction. I love our son, but it can be tiresome when the only person I've talked to is the toddler all day."
    "Well, consider it done then!"

0smaP4z.jpg

"Have you been giving your mother a hard time Robert? I hear you are keeping her on her toes."

8h0Ai7r.jpg

On the day of the party, David and Virginia agreed to splurge a bit since this was their first party at their residence. Virginia ran around all day preparing food and drinks for the night.

0e7mBzp.jpg

Friends started showing up one by one, and some brought food they prepared themselves, trying to ease Virginia's workload.

EJmDTNg.jpg

Ruth also came by, all too happy to keep an eye on her nephew while the adults entertained themselves. She was drawn to children, even outside of the classroom.

ruDPBxl.jpg

Everyone drank plenty of booze and danced the night away. Thankfully no one got sick, since alcohol could be questionable since it was still illegal. It wasn't uncommon for someone to make gin in their bathtub, and make other people ill.

76BLcLV.jpg

After socializing with friends, Virginia approached her duties with a renewed sense of optimism. She even brought Robert outside since it had started to warm up, to let him experience his first snow.

FvjZlzx.jpg

It was now officially the last day of winter. So much sadness had happened over the winter season, and everyone was ready to shed the cold, and look forward to Spring, the season dedicated to hope and new beginnings.

RcAADAG.jpg

In the spirit of the first day of Spring, before the snow had a chance to completely melt away, David and Virginia dropped Robert off with Ruth and George and headed out to the cinema to see a movie. The Phantom of the Opera was a popular movie, and everyone else had been gushing about it. This was the first date they had since their son was born.

6w4De2P.jpg

After the movie, they swung by their favorite speakeasy joint, although Virginia was trying to discourage it. David insisted on going.
    "What'll you have to drink Virginia?"
    "Oh I'll just have some water."
    David was confused. She never passed up a chance for her favorite gin and tonic.
    "Aw c'mon, this a night for us. You should loosen up sweetheart."
    Virginia shifted around in her seat.
    "Listen David, I wanted to tell you this at a later time, but, it seems I am expecting again. We are having a second child."

Z3P2Tsy.jpg

"Wow...I'm shocked! I had no idea! How long have you known?"
    Virginia smiled, putting a hand on her stomach.
    "I've been sick for a little while, and I could just tell. I would guess I am a few weeks pregnant. Just a woman's intuition."
    "Another baby. I never thought it would happen right now."

73tCNqm.jpg

"Hey everybody, I have great news! I just found out my wife is having a second child!"
    David embarrassed Virginia by getting so excited that he announced it to everyone in the building.
    "Hey bartender, I'd like to order a round of drinks on me! We have a reason to celebrate and I'm sharing the happiness!"

UFFhWLb.jpg

After mingling with acquaintances that wanted to congratulate them on the good news and toasting with everyone, David ended up with a pretty good buzz.
    "Virginia, you make me the happiest man on Earth!"
    "Baby, you can't seem to walk straight, you better not drop me!"

LlId7ol.jpg

That night, they were able to forget about their worries. But they both knew that hardship might be around the corner if things with the mine continued to slide. Every time they walked by the display cabinet in the living room, it was hard to ignore the steadily declining number of gems. Once they were all gone, they would have to focus on other ways of supporting their lifestyle, and soon to be second mouth to feed.
    What a great chapter! I'm so excited to see what will happepn next!
    Great chapter! Can't wait to see the new baby.
  • Skcaga6Skcaga6 Posts: 3,399 Member
    I love this. I am a former history teacher and I have to say, you are doing an amazing job. This is one of my favorite reads on here. I cannot wait to read more.
    wotgen6.gif?w=656
    Skcaga6 wrote: »
    I love this. I am a former history teacher and I have to say, you are doing an amazing job. This is one of my favorite reads on here. I cannot wait to read more.

History and medical science are my two loves. If I didn't choose Medical Laboratory Science, I would have gone with history teacher or worked as a researcher in the museum. :)
    DID YOU KNOW: F. Scott Fitzgerald's iconic novel "The Great Gatsby" was published in April of 1925. Doctors were aware of the ill effects maternal smoking had on the growing fetus from the 1920s. Medical researchers were able to identify the hormone hCG, that's found only in pregnant women, marking the first time doctors could confirm pregnancy. Even though 1920s flappers were known for letting it loose in fun, flirty dresses, pregnant women still opted for styles that concealed their pregnancy curves.

noJTXuq.jpg

Even though Virginia had always been a fun loving and rebellious woman that flew where the wind took her, she had started to show signs of settling down and choosing to be with her children more. She opted to spend less time socializing with friends and attending parties, and more time bonding with her son. Perhaps her latest pregnancy had finally brought out more of her maternal instincts.

YPj0u17.jpg

She also started embracing the housewife role, and had fun renovating Ruth's old bedroom to fit their modern times.

edO1MUd.jpg

Their budget wouldn't allow her to splurge on a bedroom makeover, so she sold some of the old decor in order to offset the cost at the local consignment shop.

rhJJWsC.jpg

She transformed the bedroom with new furniture and artwork that reflected the Art Deco movement. Out with the old and in with the new!

GKlU2Lm.jpg

Virginia and David were closer than ever, and spent their early Spring evenings chatting on the front porch after Robert was put to bed.

N6u28UM.jpg

As her pregnancy wore on, she took more breaks to get off of her swollen feet. She would listen to the news, or she would tune in to Grand Ole Opry, a new radio broadcast that featured country, bluegrass, folk, gospel, and comedic performances and skits. On this night, the news had been depressing.

Breaking news! 695 people have been reported dead, and over 2,000 injured in what is being called the most violent single twister in U.S. history! Property damages has been calculated to be in the millions. The tornado materialized about 1:00 pm local time in Ellington, Missouri and traveled through southern Illinois and into southwestern Indiana. Murphysboro was the hardest-hit area in the tornado’s path, with 234 fatalities. More on this to come tomorrow!

"Oh my word! All those poor people...I've never heard of anything like this before! I can't imagine what it's like to be those families..."

5elJFaK.jpg

David was on the couch next to her reading the newspaper.

"That is tragic sweetheart. Listen here, this is an interesting story too. John T. Scopes, a Tennessee schoolteacher was arrested for teaching the theory of evolution in public school."
    "Theory of evolution? As in the idea that we evolved from chimps? I just can't picture it."
    David nodded, flipping the page.
    "These are some crazy times we are living in."

XUivjiv.jpg

Virginia wanted to spend some time outside. She was happy that the snow had finally melted, so they made their way to the town's Spring Festival. Sadly for them, as soon as they started a game of horseshoes, rain started to pour and they had to cut the day's activities short.

S57HNtB.jpg

"Oh Helen, this pregnancy has been the worst! I am sick as a dog and I am aching something terrible! Being pregnant with Robert was nothing like this. I can barely fit into my maternity girdle. I've started to ditch it if I am at home all day and just wearing my smock. Hopefully the worst will soon be over."

28tFUl7.jpg

Virginia seemed to be especially hormonal. One day she would be having a fit over her pregnancy symptoms, and the next she would be admiring her growing belly, fascinated at the life she was harboring.

h3EDHOi.jpg

When her back ached, she would moan and groan to David when he got home from work, begging for a backrub.
    "You know, I am starting to think you might be taking advantage of these."
    Virginia smiled, trying to stifle a laugh.
    "I most certainly am not! I really am sore!"

lSMWEyO.jpg

Every morning, she would look in the mirror and observe the changes in her body. Although she was a good person, she did have a bit of a vain streak and prided herself on being a beautiful woman, so her weight gain made her self-conscious. It also didn't help that women's maternity clothes at this time were made to hide her massive belly.

nfCwaEI.jpg

David would feel her tummy, trying to catch the baby kicking.
    "I've been thinking V, we already have one son, so I am hoping that we have a daughter the second time around."
    She smiled as he moved his hand around gently.
    "I think that would be the cat's pajamas! At least you won't have to wait too long to find out. I am due any day."

TVL8d7V.jpg

Sure enough, they were talking in the backyard and admiring the weather later that week....

YSpndEy.jpg

...and that is when she felt her water break and mild contractions starting up.
    As if to mock them, it had also started to rain.
    "I guess this is going to be a rainy day baby V! Step lively my dear, we need to drive you to the hospital!"

2HgxzbB.jpg

She wasn't in labor very long, and a few hours later, she delivered another healthy baby boy! Virginia was able to come home the very next day. They named their newest addition Edward. Virginia would now have her hands full with two young boys.
    Too bad about the second boy :tongue: I guess Virginia and David will have to either try again for the girl they wanted, or stick to boys! Can't wait for the next part!
    DID YOU KNOW: School attendance was mandated for the first time in the 1920s. Education reform greatly improved public schooling for children, and education became much more valued. New organizations such as the YMCA and the Boy Scouts sprang up, aiming to provide urban youth with exercise and character-building experience.

fepsGC0.jpg

Lullaby, my pretty baby,
    Close thy eyes so bright,
    While the moon pours o'er your cradle
    all her silvery light;
    I will tell thee tales of fairies,
    Lull thee with a song,
    While the moon, heaven's lonely wand'rer,
    Creeps the sky along.

K709JEG.jpg

"Can I hold him mamma?"
    Robert was years older than Edward, and had grown taller since Edward was born.
    "Not tonight dear, I just put him to bed. If you wake him, I'll be up with him for hours. Besides, it's about your bedtime too."

ojJt9R3.jpg

Virginia made sure he followed through with his bedtime routine. He often 'forgot' to brush his teeth and loved staying up late.
    "Goodnight Robert, sweet dreams!"

FLRHLqv.jpg

Raising two boys was exhausting, so David and Virginia ended up going to bed right after Robert. They tried to make time for intimacy, but they often found themselves lacking the energy. Maybe things would be on the up and up when the kids got older.

QwaTA9s.jpg

Virginia's schedule, unlike David's, was repetitive and mundane.
    She woke up earlier than the rest of the household to take care of Edward.

M1hNSi0.jpg

Then, she would wake Robert and get him dressed and ready for the day. While David got ready for work, she would make breakfast for everyone.

VnqeOK6.jpg

"Bye sweetheart, I'm afraid I don't have time to see Edward, kiss him for me would you?"
    "Yea, sure baby. Love you."
    Virginia felt that housework and child rearing was putting her in a rut.

yQi9alH.jpg

She felt it was important to maintain her relationship with her friends. Usually when a woman has kids, they tend to feel isolated, and she refused for that to happen to her. In fact, both of her best friends, Helen and Clara, just had children of their own. Virginia called them often, feeling satisfied that she got to pass on her knowledge and experience. This also gave her the lasting connection she needed with them.
    "Mamma, can I play with my baseball outside?"
    "Hold on a minute Clara, Robert is interrupting....no son it's still raining outside, just run up to your room and play in there for now. But not with your baseball. I don't want a window to get broken."

vlRFsE4.jpg

Robert was an active and athletic child. His favorite hobbies involved sports of any kind, particularly America's favorite pasttime: baseball. He had a high energy level that required him to expel, or else he would become bored and fidgety. Virginia was constantly having to chase him around to keep him from hurting himself or breaking things in the house.

d0JCJCL.jpg

After the clouds cleared up, Robert went outside to splash in the puddles. His mother was going to be upset once she found out he got his nice clothes wet.

8oyHnYN.jpg

David came home from work early, and spent some time with his son. They tossed the baseball back and forth until dinnertime. This was usually their favorite way to bond.

H3FLfy6.jpg

Virginia was still getting used to cooking for herself and her family, and messed up from time to time. Looks like they won't be trying her Chicago style hot dogs tonight.

NMtZjUf.jpg

If David and Robert weren't throwing a baseball around, they would listen to the games on the radio. They were both really into it and could get pretty rowdy.

etRlb0w.jpg

Virginia always put Edward to sleep while her son and husband listened to the radio.

VPE4LJs.jpg

"Alright Robert, it's time for you to run on up to bed, you have school in the morning."

1lSF3wl.jpg

It was like pulling teeth, trying to get him to go to sleep.
    Almost every night, Virginia would yell at Robert for being up late.
    "Robert Wallingsford, knock off the baloney and go to sleep!"

4vgFjYm.jpg

Virginia would make sure Robert got to school on time. School days were Virginia's only peaceful moments where she felt she could get more done.

LdyaZdN.jpg

By now, the display cabinet was empty. Having another child spent up their savings faster than usual, and the only asset they had that could provide a lot of return was the car, but David wasn't going to sell it just yet. He was considering Alfred's suggestion to invest in the stock market, but he didn't really know how it all worked and didn't trust them to handle his little bit of cash left. He would need more time to think on it.

7X4JV59.jpg

"Baby, are we going to be alright? I heard that the city hall is in need of a secretary, I can take up a job if we need the second income."
    David reached for her hands, putting up a front.
    "Don't you worry about this, as the man of this family, I will make sure everything is taken care of."
    It sounded as though he were trying to convince himself more than anyone.
    DID YOU KNOW: The stock market crash of 1929 wiped people out. People were forced to sell businesses and cash in their life savings because brokers called in their loans when the market started falling. On Black Tuesday, 16,410,030 shares were traded on the New York Stock Exchange in a single day. Stock tickers ran hours behind because the machinery could not handle the tremendous volume of trading.

***This chapter contains the following sensitive material: Suicide. If this bothers you, please avoid continuing***

MlRv0fh.jpg

David was having a relaxing and slow morning, trying to take a break from the stress of work. He then received a call from Alfred.

"David, I'm completely ruined! Everything I had in the stocks is gone, it just disappeared overnight! I have no idea how I'm going to pay back my creditors. Those stocks were my whole life, I only have a little bit of savings and it's not going to cover my debts. I might have to sell my house, and who in this country can afford to buy it off of me right now?"
    "Slow down Alfred what are you talking about? I haven't had a chance to have my morning coffee yet. The banks have been saying all along that stocks will go UP, what's going on?"
    Alfred couldn't be consoled long enough for David to understand his problem.
    "Alright, you just take a moment to collect yourself and I'll be right over in a few. I'm getting dressed now. We will figure something out."

N7qqSsz.jpg

After David hung up the phone, that is when Virginia turned the radio up to listen to the news.

Police reserves were called out to disperse crowds on Wall and Broad sts. and it is not only rumored on the street that the Stock Exchange and other commodity markets are to close, but members of the exchange itself said the market would cease trading at 1:00 o'clock until next Monday. It is said that the Curb will be closed at noon, that the Chicago board of trade will be suspending trading, and that security markets all over the world are going to recess in an effort to avert panic.

syAL1hD.jpg

"It seems the whole world is being thrown into chaos! Thing were just fine a few days ago and now everyone is buzzing around town. What exactly is causing this? Are we affected?"
    Virginia was spooked, so David switched the radio off for now.
    "No, we have a bit of savings left but I never did invest in the market. I suppose it was a smart move after all. My father told me never to owe anyone anything, so I didn't buy anything on credit. Even now, his wisdom continues to help me."

G9Za5PA.jpg

David went outside to pick up the morning's paper. The headline read: WALL ST. IN PANIC AS STOCKS CRASH

Stock prices virtually collapsed yesterday, swept downward with gigantic losses in the most disastrous trading day in the stock market's history. Billions of dollars in open market values were wiped out as prices crumbled under the pressure of liquidation of securities which had to be sold at any price. Hysteria swept the country and stocks went overboard for just what they would bring at forced sale.

David put the paper down and sighed. "Poor Alfred, I've gotta get over there and find out how to help him."

eoPxmoF.jpg

David got dressed and drove over to Alfred's place. He knocked on the door but no one answered.
    "Hm. I did tell him I was coming didn't I?"

Roddosf.jpg

He walked around the house, peering through the windows to see if he was home. That's when he saw Alfred, sprawled on the floor of his dining room. "Oh my God! Alfred!"
    He tried to get the door open, but it was locked. He ran next door to use the neighbor's telephone to call for help. Sadly, it was in vain. He was declared dead on the scene.

sXaZyfg.jpg

David saw him off to the hospital, and shortly after, he went home.
    Virginia made him a cup of coffee and told him to sit down.
    "They said it was suicide. I just...I don't know what to think. I told him I was coming over to help him straighten things out. He didn't have to face his problems alone. Was I not his best friend?"
    Virginia patted his hand.
    "Dear, you were as great a friend as any. Perhaps he felt he was in too deep with no means of escape. Maybe he felt there was nothing anyone could do."
    "Somehow I feel it is. I shouldn't have taken my time this morning, I should have rushed over. Maybe he would still be here."
    "Don't you say things like that! We don't know how things would have played out any differently. You have always been there for him. This whole thing is unfortunate, but it's not your fault."

U2f82kZ.jpg

"He told me he was probably going to lose his home. He said he had lost everything. I was going over there to offer him a room in the house to stay and a job working with me so he didn't feel like he was being handed everything. I still wanted him to have his dignity. I wish he would have known what I was willing to do to help him. Maybe he would still have had hope."

ni9Xhh6.jpg

The sad account of what David saw was a stark contrast to the happiness in the living room, where Robert and Edward were playing together. The children had no clue what was going on outside, and probably wouldn't truly know the despair people felt today until they were more mature.

OnugwEH.jpg

David's thoughts were interrupted by his phone ringing off the hook in his office. He excused himself from the table and went to answer them.
    The large volume of phone calls was coming from his customers, who were hoping he could fulfill their demand for gold. Apparently, with the economy on the downturn and people not feeling confident in their banks and government, they were flocking to the safe haven of gold as a safety net. David couldn't promise them anything because his work force was short, but he told them he would figure something out.

Just when things were going horrifically for everyone nationwide, life for the Wallingsfords had suddenly improved.

Xt8pTCb.jpg

While David took phone calls, Virginia was making sure Robert completed his homework.
    "There were a lot of kids missing from class today, and Aunt Ruth was real sad. What's happening Mamma?"
    "Oh, don't you worry about everyone else Robert. You just stay focused on yourself and get your work done."
    The hardest part of this day for Virginia, was making life seem like normal for the children.

k18LMlT.jpg

The following week, David got up earlier and slipped out of the house before Virginia and the kids woke up. He stopped by the cemetery to visit Alfred's plot. He stared at his tombstone in silence for awhile before feeling ready enough to go to the civic center.

LvD4Lu7.jpg

He was putting up a poster on the board for those who lost their jobs or livelihood. On the poster, he put that he was looking for more miners, and also wrote his wage offer. If anyone needed a job, they simply needed to come down to the mine and put in the hours. He was generous enough to offer a little above what most hard labor jobs were willing to pay, thinking that he could help people like Alfred.

TMf9aXh.jpg

Crowds of people were filing into the center, desperately searching the board for work. It didn't take long for people to find David and stop him in the middle of what he was doing, asking for a job.

0eLBamy.jpg

Virginia found it hard to take Robert with her while shopping for groceries because the long line for the soup kitchen was down the street. She felt embarrassed when he asked what they were doing there, because she didn't want people in the line to feel bad about it. She changed her routine and did her shopping while he was in school. Mothers were told to take special care in raising their children with the jobless wandering the streets and with charities handing out food and clothing. She was warned about the message this sent to the young. So called experts counseled mothers against spoiling their children while those in need went without.

It would seem everyone had entered the Depression.

*******This concludes the 1920's*******
    what an intense chapter! Can't wait to see what happens next!
    DID YOU KNOW: People found ways to have fun for free during the Great Depression. Neighbors got together to play cards and other games and to talk, church socials and school programs gave people a chance to visit and meet someone new, and soda fountains and local dances gave young people a chance to enjoy themselves and to go on dates. Comedies, gangster movies, and musicals helped people forget their troubles.

RU04yIV.jpg

"Darling, are you almost ready? The movie is going to start soon", David yelled from outside the bedroom.
    "Just about baby! Just putting on the finishing touch", Virginia said as she straightened her new hat.

B5qWQQj.jpg

"You look marvelous sweetheart! Now lets get to the car, we wouldn't want to be late."

dOFyCc8.jpg

David and Virginia were spending their date night at the movie theater to watch Trouble In Paradise, the popular comedy at the time. Although people couldn't afford to spend much money during the Depression, there were a couple days out of the week that the theater was packed with people trying to escape their problems for an hour or two by spending a little of what they had on movies.

L4BaEyX.jpg

"Did you enjoy the movie" David asked, bringing her closer to him on the park bench.
    "Anything is fun when I am with you."
    Although they were much better off than the people around them, they still tried to be frugal sometimes. Going to the park and enjoying the scenery was a cheap way to finish a beautiful date. Besides, spending so much while those around them went without was something discouraged. In the spirit of helping your fellow man, you were supposed to pinch pennies and donate to those less fortunate.

0jOY2tl.jpg

"How am I doing baby? I've been practicing all week for our party!"
    David listened to Virginia play while he sipped his Bourbon.
    "You are wonderful V, everyone will think so."
    In the spirit of the times, they would host more parties at their house. They knew some of their friends had lost money in the stocks and could no longer afford to throw lavish parties, so they hosted them instead and invited them to come enjoy themselves and forget their problems.

X48IwdO.jpg

David was finally saving up a nest egg again. Gold was in high demand, but he was able to save other gemstones like diamonds instead for times when they could use the extra help.

EsSIALa.jpg

These days, David was looking older. He started to gain fine lines, but at least it wasn't because of stress from operating his mines. In fact, business had been picking up substantially now that there were more people willing to be miners. Men were desperate to make money, even if it meant back breaking work to do so. Miners these days were considered luckier than their jobless counterparts, who waited in long lines hoping to get work at the Government Employment Office. No, David was simply getting older.

awJ253J.jpg

It was time for the party and it was their greatest turn out ever! Never before had the house been this packed. To reduce the cost, Virginia made the food herself, played music on the radio and the piano, opted to clean up herself, and hosted games in the backyard.

iRjPTOG.jpg

"You are looking beautiful as ever little sis! How is the school treating you?"
    "Thank you David! I try to do something different with my hair once in awhile, the school board won't allow me to have short hair though. Other than that I love being a teacher. It's so sad though, how many of the kids drop out of school to help their families. I have lost a couple students that way."
    "Those kids are lucky to have you in their classroom. You care an awful lot for them."

4270oBg.jpg

The men gathered in the yard to play horseshoes. Free games similar to this were a preferred way to have fun without having to spend money.

SWgv3Pm.jpg

"How are those darling little boys of yours?"
    "Edward is a sweetheart, he doesn't give me much trouble at all. Robert on the other hand can be hard headed but overall he is good. He tried out for the Junior League football team and made it, so now I bring him to practices. It helps keep him busy and gives him something to do so he doesn't wander all over town. It's just too dangerous for that right now."
    "I know what you mean. Did you hear about that drug store bandit that was so desperate that he held the owner at gun point for twenty-seven dollars? Too many people are turning to crime, it's all just so sad."

kc2Ldo3.jpg

Everyone had a blast at the party, and when everyone had cleared out, David and Virginia slow danced by themselves.

cgWtcO9.jpg

"Gross!"
    They both turned around to see Robert standing there, watching them dance.
    "Didn't we tell you that this party was for adults only? And why aren't you in your pajamas and in bed young man?"
    "I'm grown up enough for parties!"
    David chuckled.
    "It's getting late anyway sweetheart. Why don't you clean up and I'll toss a ball around with him. He just feels a little left out."

bWxl3Re.jpg

David took Robert outside.
    "Son, I know you don't like school very much, but if you focus more, you could pay for it with a sports scholarship."
    "I just started playing football though! How do you know how good I am?"
    "Well you would be surprised. Many football players are tough young men who grew up on dirt-poor farms and small towns. They worked hard to make it big. That could be you if you try hard enough Robert. Maybe you can be our family's first professional sports star."
    "Does that mean I don't have to do math anymore?"
    "No, you still need to do learn that stuff son."

DID YOU KNOW: The Dust Bowl was the name given to the Great Plains region devastated by drought in 1930s depression-ridden America. Through all the tough times, society expected women to be active community members by attending PTA meetings, raising funds for charities, collecting clothing for the needy, saving at the market, raising a family, and providing encouragement for disheartened husbands all while keeping up a happy, normal appearance.

QTD3tJv.jpg

"Wow, that Herman Linder was amazing Papa! No matter how hard that bull kicked, he managed to stay on for a long while! I think this was the best rodeo ever! Do you think he would give me his autograph if I asked", Robert asked excitedly.
    Rodeos were another organized entertainment activity that remained vital through the Depression.
    "You go on ahead son, your mother and I are going to find a place to sit."

gJHTICB.jpg

They sat down at a picnic table near the food stands, putting Edward on the ground between them to keep him in sight.
    "Well sweetheart, I would say things are going much better than expected. With more workers at my mine, I am able to extract more gold ore. And the price of gold is just soaring through the roof! But since everyone keeps hoarding it, President Roosevelt has asked Americans to turn it in and outlawed the possession of it. But not to worry, he is compensating everyone for every ounce."

"Sounds like things are turning around for us baby, I am glad to hear it. I just wish it was the same for everyone else. I've been packing a couple extra bagged lunches for Robert to take to school since he has been telling me that some of the kids are showing up to class without lunch. It really breaks my heart."

CJE0sqV.jpg

While they were conversing, Robert was talking with some of the neighborhood children.

"Hey Robert, did you listen to the baseball game yesterday?"
    "I sure did! The Washington Senators hit 5 consecutive doubles in one inning, it was amazing!"
    "I don't think that kind of luck will ever happen again. That's a once in a lifetime kind of event."

HqUpatn.jpg

As the year went on, David found that he had more employees than he knew what to do with.
    "Thank you for taking me on Mr. Wallingsford, I have five mouths to feed and I could really use the money."
    "What brings you here from Oklahoma?"
    "Well, I did have a large farm, but it's pretty much useless now from the drought. That dust storm is kicking up all the dirt, it looked like a thousand tornadoes! With no crops, I have no way to make a living."
    "I'll see you at the mine tomorrow, don't be late!"

mqPQmCT.jpg

Everyone was feeling the effects of the Depression, especially schools. One of the first areas to get a tax cut were school districts, so they had to find ways to save money.
    "Mama, do we have extra brown bags?"
    "Yes sweetie, whatever for?"
    "Aunt Ruth is having us make our own folders from brown bags for a grade. And we need to wrap them around our textbooks too."
    "Oh sure, we can do that. What a neat idea! Everyone has those on hand."

LQMm68u.jpg

Just then, the phone rang.
    It was Virginia's friends, asking if she could make it to the civic center to help them pass out donations of clothes to the needy.
    "That sounds swell, sure I can make it!"

GU9U2EC.jpg

The ladies met up, grabbed what they could carry, and starting walking around town, passing necessities out to those wandering the streets or sleeping on benches.

vXBCH7r.jpg

Virginia met a man that used to work at a factory until it closed down a year ago. He has been taking up small jobs here and there but they never lasted long. He and his wife, with their three children were living out of their car that they called a 'Hooverville'.
    "Oh bless your heart", Virginia said, handing him coats and shoes.
    "I don't know if these shoes might fit your children, but it's something at least."
    "They can grow into them. Thank you so much ma'am."

9FptrPd.jpg

The whole family finished the day on a lighter note by celebrating Edward's birthday. Virginia baked him a cake, and didn't even burn it the first time! He looked more like Virginia the older he got.
    DID YOU KNOW: A five-month school year became increasingly common during the 1930s due to tax cuts and slashes in teacher pay. Teams started putting up lights into their stadium and night time baseball caught on like wildfire. Organized sports for children were rare outside of school settings, with the exception of baseball and hockey.

meSPp2r.jpg

It was near the end of summer, and David was spending the weekend home to spend time with his sons. He and Robert were tossing a football around, and Robert had no problem keeping up with his dad.

RgIvlrN.jpg

"Robert sweetie, where is your brother? I thought he was going to be out here with you two."
    Robert kept tossing the football, not even noticing the fact that his brother wasn't there.
    "I don't know, maybe he is in his room. He hardly ever leaves it."

FTJok5h.jpg

Virginia went up to Edward's room to find a huge mess strewn across the floor.
    "Oh my...Edward what is all this?"
    "It's parts I picked from the junkyard in town. I'm going to try to invent something useful with them. I just need to think of something first."
    "Edward, you shouldn't be hanging around there. You never know what kind of people hang out at that kind of place, and it's filthy! Get this stuff picked up."

l8A7w04.jpg

Virginia looked around his room. He sure did have some weird collections.
    "Edward, what in the world is in that jar?"
    He walked over to it, inspecting the contents.
    "It's a Megarian banded centipede! The science teacher at school let me borrow it to study."
    Virginia sighed. There was nothing she could do to keep him from bringing all sorts of oddities home on a daily basis.
    "Well, at least the weird creature is in a jar this time and not in your pants pocket while I'm doing your laundry. Now head outside and go see your father, he is going to take you fishing since you aren't that interested in football."

enb74Lh.jpg

David drove Edward to the waterfalls, poles and bait in tow.
    "Alright son, this spot is where your Grandfather took me fishing. And you know, it used to be a valuable water source for the settlers who came here. It's beautiful isn't it?"
    "It sure is Papa. I don't know how to use the pole though."

HQ2fydU.jpg

"That's alright I'll teach you. I've already baited your hook for you, so just bring it back, and flick it like this."
    David got his line in the water, and watched as Edward imitated him.
    "There you go, you got it!"
    They fished for almost an hour, but only caught a small minnow.
    "I'm real sorry that the fish aren't very active today son. They don't seem too interested in our bait today", David said.

j9v8xGI.jpg

"That's it! That's what I want to invent! Thanks Papa", Edward said excitedly as he ran for the house.
    David looked on, confused about what had just happened.
    "Wait, son, we drove here! If you just let me pack up I can take you back!"
    Edward was already out of earshot.

t1wrbfG.jpg

As soon as he got to his room, he laid out his plans for a new and improved fish bait, shaped like a minnow and made from buckskin.
    He doodled away most of the afternoon.

waXaIMu.jpg

"I just don't know what to do with him V, I try to get him into sports and he isn't interested, I take him fishing and he runs back home. I don't want our son staying in his room with a weird bug collection and being anti-social the rest of his life. He needs to learn to be extroverted. We live in tough times, and he needs to be equipped with skills that make him survive the competition for jobs later on."
    Virginia agreed.
    "I don't know either David. He has always seemed so quiet."
    "I think he has been talking to my sister Ruth a little too much."

VhdYqDl.jpg

Since David was home, Virginia took the opportunity to go down the the donations center to drop off some flour sacks.
    When flour manufacturers saw women turning their flour sacks into clothing, diapers, dish cloths, and more, they started packing their flour in pretty patterns. Innovative and desperate, women often emptied the sacks and used the fabric to make clothing for their children.
    "Thank you for all your hard work V, the community benefits from your effort", said Doris, the donations volunteer.
    "Oh, it's nothing really. My family is doing so well, it would be selfish not to help out. I don't have a need for these, but I am sure they will be used by someone else."

TIwZcxV.jpg

When Virginia was back from her trip, she made dinner.
    "Boys, dinner is ready! Wash your hands and faces and come down to the table!"
    Edward fed his minnow that he caught at the waterfalls before going downstairs.
    "I know this isn't what you are used to eating in the wild, but I am sure you won't mind having flake food while living here with me, huh Minnie?"

dJIQ6PB.jpg

As usual, Robert picked on Edward. Edward was often the center of bullying at school as well.
    "Edward, your bug collection is gross. Since you have a fish now, maybe you should feed your bugs to it!"
    "I don't have to, minnows eat mosquitoes and flies, they don't tend to like beetles."
    "God you are such a know it all."

U11QxVZ.jpg

Virginia interrupted the fighting.
    "Knock it off Robert, how many times do I have to tell you not to bully your brother! If you keep this up we won't be taking you to baseball tryouts tomorrow."
    "Aw c'mon V, he has to go. It would be a shame to keep a good player off the team", said David.
    Edward finished his food quickly, and put his napkin on the table.
    "May I be excused now please?"
    Virginia nodded and he headed upstairs to be alone the rest of the night.

9vSPmG6.jpg

"It's time for bed now, get in your pajamas Edward. I love ya sweetheart. And don't stay up reading again."

5QAgoki.jpg

"Robert, it's your bedtime too, clean up your toys. If you don't get enough sleep you won't be your best tomorrow."

mDbHOu5.jpg

The next morning, Virginia and David hauled the kids to baseball tryouts for the school team. Virginia talked with some of her friends while David wandered off to talk to the men.

ovCwwuL.jpg

It was Robert and Edward's turn to show their skill. They were teamed up to throw the ball to see how well they could catch.
    "Alright, go over by the trees, this shouldn't be too hard. Just catch it. Follow the ball."

eOCGK0q.jpg

Edward wasn't very good at catching at all. He hardly caught the ball and wasn't very good with a bat either. Baseball just wasn't his forte. He ended up embarrassing himself in front of all the school boys.

9om8ewY.jpg

Robert however, was shining. He was the best out of all the boys, and managed to impress the coach and all of his peers who were too eager to be his friend.

E9gOYC3.jpg

Frustrated, Edward stormed off to a bench to read and wanted to be alone.

4Pw3dvY.jpg

"Edward, I know you don't believe me, but this is a great thing for you. Listen, I bet if I talked to the coach, he could give you a second shot. I am sure you were just nervous and shy, he might understand..."
    "No Papa, I don't want to join the team! I don't care about baseball. I'm not going to be like Robert, so, just leave me alone."
    Disappointed and embarrassed in his son's performance, he walked off and left him alone.
  • Skcaga6Skcaga6 Posts: 3,399 Member
    :( Poor Edward.
    wotgen6.gif?w=656